NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't get me wrong, I totally support the effort to open up the NGX, I'm just wondering if they might change it later. But considering they aren't offering any other game cards, who knows. At least us owners have options if they never support it with good titles.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Aw, nuts. My attempts to mount the SD card somehow corrupted it despite me setting it to read-only. Oh well.

Edit: All attempts to format it thwarted. Says it's write-protected with the switch up and down.

Last edited:

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
This was a pleasant surprise to wake up to! You guys are awesome!

I have a feeling we are going to see this completely hacked before the New Year...

20 Year Member
This would make an awesome MAME portable if the software is completely cracked. The hardware is pretty damn powerful.

20 Year Member
Also, would be interesting to attempt a CPU speed increase if the software is cracked.

You can see the 512.00 MHz oscillator located next to the SoC.

dnMoD_zps3d5e5460.jpg

Won't be useful for Neo Geo emulation, but if MAME/Dreamcast/etc emulation is added in the future...

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Not to mention being able to use the dock for tv output with the emulation and possibly supporting other usb controllers.

Also, would be interesting to attempt a CPU speed increase if the software is cracked.
Won't be useful for Neo Geo emulation, but if MAME/Dreamcast/etc emulation is added in the future...

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This would make an awesome MAME portable if the software is completely cracked. The hardware is pretty damn powerful.

That's what I am holding out on.

I would buy one of these once someone sorts out how to open it up and run other stuffs on it.

Lectoid

n00b
I'll try to make an image of it this weekend, but the "bad blocks" or whatever errors it was giving me worry me. I wish I was well versed in Linux. I'll put that "testdisk" on my mac since it has a unix backbone and see if I have better luck there.

I'm also hesitant to do too much because if I screw up my card, I'll be SOL. I'm sure I can get it replaced from Amazon.

Side note, When I press up (this was before I took it apart), I have to go further past the click for the up to register. The other 3 directions register right at the click. So that's a warranty issue, it'll have to go back at some point.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Interesting. I will talk with some programmers friends of mine tonight and be back with info if there is any :)

Awesome work guys, keep this thread alive!

Lectoid

n00b
What firmware does everyone have? I think I have 337. Over at gamefaqs, someone asked that question and there are at least 3 versions out there. 337, 357, and 370. No idea what the difference is.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I have 337. I was wondering if someone who still had their update file someone mentioned in the main thread for a later version would upload it if we could update the older (337/357) units with it.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
The good thing about this is, If there is something needed doing to the machine itself and some people (me inc) have no clue how to do it, it will be easy and cheap enough to send of the handheld to an expert.

SSS

neo retired
Has anyone tried comparing the ninja masters card to a normal SD card? Might be easier to read.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Someone should take a dd dump image of that internal SD card and upload it for me. Anyone with a mac or linux can do it. If I can get a peek at the filesytems and figure out what they are. And even better, get them mounted, shits on. Its going to be large, if someone is willing to dump it, I can provide a place to host it.

dd overview and usage found here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

Lectoid

n00b
I made a DD image of whatever it is when you hook the NGX up to your computer, I don't know if that 1GB partition is from the internal SD card or what. It was late when I did it and I was able to mount it with daemon tools, but I couldn't access it. I only tried once then went to bed. I have an open weekend ahead of me to dive in to this more.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
You can take a look at this in windows fairly easily.

Download and install FTK imager ( http://www.accessdata.com/support/product-downloads )

Add the card as an evidence item
Acquire an image in RAW (dd)format.
When done, you can proceed with looking at the file tree, also. you should be able to view the filesystems on the card.

You now have an unaltered, safe copy of your card and the ability to browse and file carve the contents of the image. You can also do this for the system if that's not the same card that is presented.

Last edited: