Thread: Why the Tommo Neo Geo X continues to be sold 6 months after contract was terminated.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Why the Tommo Neo Geo X continues to be sold 6 months after contract was terminated.

I'm not sure whether it's because SNK Playmore didn't have the financial resources to take legal action against Tommo, or they're in the wrong over this and know it? It might be because Tommo had flashed some cash and bought a continued partnership? I think a hell of a lot of people were taken in by this cheapily made emulator masquerading as original hardware.

Either way they still seem to be manufacturing, promoting and selling all available accessories, games and hardware with little regard for any libel action.

Why is this? Discuss.
    I suck at competitive one-on-one beat-em-ups....Fancy a game of Puzzle Bobble?

Genam's Azami Sharpener

I can't believe there is anyone still interested in purchasing this monstrosity. I mean isn't Tommo hemorrhaging money over this crap? Why would they want to keep producing this stuff? Last i heard Tommo was found not to be in any breach of their contract but once again they should just move on and not waste anymore assets on NGX. Besides all SNKP cares about is crappy mobile games and Pachinko machines.
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

Gai's Trainer

There are still no signs of mega pack vol 2 so things may not be as cherry as you'd think.

Rugal's Secretary

Tommo must have a lot of NOS laying around, it wasn't exactly a hot seller.

A decade down the line, the unreleased Mega Pack vol.2 will be covered in post-it notes by proto hoarders.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    There are still no signs of mega pack vol 2 so things may not be as cherry as you'd think.
    Very true. I reckon negotiations are ongoing behind the scenes. Tommo must have a lot of Mega Pack Vol 1 to shift as most people that bought an X are either not interested in playing much more than what is included on the memory or realised the system is shit and re-sold it/stuck it in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by tomlee80 View Post
    most people that bought an X are either not interested in playing much more than what is included on the memory or realised the system is shit and re-sold it/stuck it in the attic.
    I'm sure it's a mixed bag.

New Challenger

Unfortunately I don't think snk actually have a case - despite their disatisfaction at the product reception the rumour is they have no cause to dissolve the license unless tommo breaches any of the stipulated conditions- which mostly revolve around ownership and branding. Both sides having acted in (legally) good faith up to a point and then falling out, I don't think we're likely to see new games being licensed.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I'm pretty shocked people are still talking about this. I did a video on the original news story way back and over a thousand people responded to it. I'll never forget that. This really should be left in the past and forgotten.

New Challenger

Why shocked...? It was potentially the biggest thing since kof13. Even though the product didn't live up to our expectations it got people talking about the neo and it's library in a way that I don't think any single game could have done... And the situation remains an intriguing mixed web between fan types, sink and a western publisher.

Unfortunately, due to all that exposure, even the mvs market is starting to skyrocket.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by gray117 View Post
    Why shocked...? It was potentially the biggest thing since kof13. Even though the product didn't live up to our expectations it got people talking about the neo and it's library in a way that I don't think any single game could have done... And the situation remains an intriguing mixed web between fan types, sink and a western publisher.
    I agree. This is probably the first piece of Neo Geo Hardware that caught the attention of the wider gaming public (since it's heyday in the 90's) . Suddenly people who already knew I had a thing called a "Neo Geo" brought up the X with me after reading news coverage from their mainstream news outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by SNKorSWM View Post
    Unfortunately, due to all that exposure, even the mvs market is starting to skyrocket.
    I have seen some ridiculously over priced AES carts. But overall the popular MVS carts I've been looking at seem to have fallen in price over the last couple of years. King Of Fighters 2002, Ultimate 11, Metal Slug etc.
    Last edited by tomlee80; 09-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Well, the X seems to be nicely quarantined in the UK at least.

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Well, the X seems to be nicely quarantined in the UK at least.
    The X, the X, the X - that separates us!

Spoiler:
    this is just spam
    WTB: Mark of the Wolves (MVS, loose, English label, at least one serial intact)

Maxima's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    This really should be left in the past and forgotten.
    The X will never be forgotten, nor will Tommo ever be forgiven.

Being witness to the ongoing and seemingly never ending struggles of the Tommo customer has made me appreciate life more. Thank you Tommo.

Thread Information