Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Sony to shutter its native PSP store at the end of March

  1. #1
    Galford's Armourer
    gusmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Phatal Philly ']['

    Posts
    454

    icon31.gif Sony to shutter its native PSP store at the end of March

    Of course I just pulled my PSP out of storage a little over a month ago and have had a resurgence of interest in it and now this.

    Way late to the party but I picked up The Dracula X Chronicles a few weeks ago.

    Been playing a ton of MPE on it too, so fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
    As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

  2. #2
    Tesse's Maintainence Man
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    2,903
    Long live digital downloads.

  3. #3
    PSP > Vita
    " Of all the frictionless resistances, ignorance most retards human movement." Tesla

    Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    WiiU:SnethSS

  4. #4
    Galford's Armourer
    gusmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Phatal Philly ']['

    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSneth View Post
    PSP > Vita
    Bold statement. I have been having so much fun with the PSP that I was actually flirting with the idea of getting a Vita. What makes you think that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
    As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

  5. #5
    PSP is an amazing system. I stuck with UMDs though.

    PSP is better than Vita simply due to genre representation. Vita has almost zero mainstream appeal. It's a wonderful machine for certain niches but PSP has great games in pretty much any genre or style you can think of.

    I liked both handhelds last generation better than all the consoles, though.

    DS > PSP > Wii > PS3 > 360

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    Bold statement. I have been having so much fun with the PSP that I was actually flirting with the idea of getting a Vita. What makes you think that?
    what fammi said. I really love the Vita, but PSP has everything. Vita has JRPG's and Indie's that I already own on steam. The pipeline is pretty much JRPG"S and more JRPG's. They are fantastic jRPG's, and the indie games all play really well.

    In the end, the PSP has everything I want and then some.
    " Of all the frictionless resistances, ignorance most retards human movement." Tesla

    Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    WiiU:SnethSS

  7. #7
    Mr. Big's Thug
    xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado

    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSneth View Post
    what fammi said. I really love the Vita, but PSP has everything. Vita has JRPG's and Indie's that I already own on steam. The pipeline is pretty much JRPG"S and more JRPG's. They are fantastic jRPG's, and the indie games all play really well.

    In the end, the PSP has everything I want and then some.
    I agree, I still use my PSP a ton for easy emulation as well as a lot of good games. Finished Brandish last month and I'm working on Ys 6 now.

  8. #8
    Turrican King!
    ElectricGrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    19,032
    The games worth playing on the vita run like crap, PSP has a great library but the D-pad is crap...damn, just can't win with sony handhelds...

    Also PS3 and 360 kick the shit out of anything after the SNES.

  9. #9
    Genjuro's Frog

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    La Jolla, CA

    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    PSP is an amazing system. I stuck with UMDs though.

    PSP is better than Vita simply due to genre representation. Vita has almost zero mainstream appeal. It's a wonderful machine for certain niches but PSP has great games in pretty much any genre or style you can think of.

    I liked both handhelds last generation better than all the consoles, though.

    DS > PSP > Wii > PS3 > 360
    For the first 18 months or so the Vita did have a pretty diverse lineup. Of course it had a lot of rpg's but it had great mainstream (especially from Sony) stuff like Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, PS All-Stars, Rayman Origins/Legends, Wipeout, etc.
    The 3rd party mainstream stuff probably harmed the Vita's rep more than it helped. Black Ops Declassified and Borderlands 2 were so shitty that it turned a lot of people away.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    The games worth playing on the vita run like crap, PSP has a great library but the D-pad is crap...damn, just can't win with sony handhelds...

    Also PS3 and 360 kick the shit out of anything after the SNES.
    Not sure if you have played the Vita or not but I think you would actually like it. I bet you would like Soul Sacrifice a lot.

  10. #10
    Turrican King!
    ElectricGrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    19,032
    The games I want are a skip fest though.

    UMVC3
    DOA5
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1+ & 2+
    MK9
    SFvsTK

    What's soul sacrifice, a from software offshoot?

  11. #11
    Astra Superstar
    lions3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    What's soul sacrifice, a from software offshoot?
    I wish, if it was a Dark Souls game I would be playing my Vita a ton more. If memory servers it's more of a monster hunter clone but with magic.
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?" -- Cave Johnson, CEO Aperture Science



    -----Jamma-Nation-X MVS Price Guide ----- mjmjr25's Reference NEO-GEO Price Guide ----- NeoGeoKult Price Guides (Euro) -----

    For the latest 3d printing and laser projects check Instagram: @Lions3D

  12. #12
    Turrican King!
    ElectricGrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    19,032
    Oh...I was really hoping for an excuse to get a vita...bummer...

  13. #13
    OxiuqVer


    RevQuixo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ USA

    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    Of course I just pulled my PSP out of storage a little over a month ago and have had a resurgence of interest in it and now this.

    Way late to the party but I picked up The Dracula X Chronicles a few weeks ago.

    Been playing a ton of MPE on it too, so fun.
    No biggie...they say you can still access your download list, so just buy from their website and access your download list from the dvice.

  14. #14
    Casually Hardcore GregN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    My Basement

    Posts
    16,009
    PSP has some excellent JRPGs too (mainly remakes). Lunar, Star Ocean 1+2, etc. Some good classic packs like SNK Classics 1 and 0, Metal Slug Anthology. I like the Vita because of the JRPGs, but most of them are NIS garbage, aren't they? I didn't get it at launch. You can download some cool stuff on the Vita, and its screen is sharper.



    Pre-Order now to avoid disappointment.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GregN View Post
    PSP has some excellent JRPGs too (mainly remakes). Lunar, Star Ocean 1+2, etc. Some good classic packs like SNK Classics 1 and 0, Metal Slug Anthology. I like the Vita because of the JRPGs, but most of them are NIS garbage, aren't they? I didn't get it at launch. You can download some cool stuff on the Vita, and its screen is sharper.

    They are distributed in the US by NIS, but most of them are not NIS originals.
    " Of all the frictionless resistances, ignorance most retards human movement." Tesla

    Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    WiiU:SnethSS

  16. #16
    Astra Superstar
    lions3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Posts
    816
    also don't forgot that you can transfer DL games from your PS3 to the PSP (or Vita)
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?" -- Cave Johnson, CEO Aperture Science



    -----Jamma-Nation-X MVS Price Guide ----- mjmjr25's Reference NEO-GEO Price Guide ----- NeoGeoKult Price Guides (Euro) -----

    For the latest 3d printing and laser projects check Instagram: @Lions3D

  17. #17
    Yamazaki's Pupil
    GutsDozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Metairie, LA

    Posts
    2,707
    I still enjoy my PSP. In my opinion it was better than Vita just because of game selection.
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

  18. #18
    Andy's Clothes Designer
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by GutsDozer View Post
    I still enjoy my PSP. In my opinion it was better than Vita just because of game selection.
    And the Neo and Cps2 emulators work great.

  19. #19
    Yamazaki's Pupil
    GutsDozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Metairie, LA

    Posts
    2,707
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    And the Neo and Cps2 emulators work great.
    Plus best version of FF Tactics.
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

  20. #20
    Dodgeball Yakuza
    aoiddr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia, USA

    Posts
    782
    I finally got around to softmodding my PSP-1000 and PSP Go last month. First thing I played was the free homebrew port of Cave Story...and then I loaded up the system with 32gb worth of UMD rips and PS1->PSP conversions. I've always had a solid PSP UMD library of games, but being able to have them all digital for fast swapping is a god-send for getting a quick gaming fix.

    Considering how easy it is to softmod now (by far the easiest system, if you aren't past a certain firmware), it kind of makes sense for Sony to shutter the PSP store. Real shame, but that's business for something over a generation ago.
    Last edited by aoiddr; 03-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.

  21. #21
    Until I saw this thread I had no idea you could still buy games via the system. I need to break out my manly Hannah Montana sparkly purple PSP and get my game on.

  22. #22
    Tesse's Maintainence Man
    greedostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Londo Ruins

    Posts
    2,947
    So what are the must own PSP download only games that you can not get on Vita?

    I have been unable to connect my PSP to the internet for a few years now, I really need to change my router encryption, and get on there for a bit and check out the store.

    Beaten in 2015:
    A Link Between Worlds - Dark Souls - 3D Classics Kid Icarus - 3D Outrun - Civilization V - Bloodborne - Majora's Mask 3DS -

    Close to Completion:
    Dracula X PC Engine - Bravely Default - Chrono Trigger - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

    Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type


    [B]

  23. #23
    Astra Superstar
    lions3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    So what are the must own PSP download only games that you can not get on Vita?

    I have been unable to connect my PSP to the internet for a few years now, I really need to change my router encryption, and get on there for a bit and check out the store.
    There's a list somewhere for this. I know at some point I had to snag the Sega Classics on PSP. As it was never released for the Vita. I had an itch for Phantasy Star 2 for some reason (Even though I own multiple copies on devices)
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?" -- Cave Johnson, CEO Aperture Science



    -----Jamma-Nation-X MVS Price Guide ----- mjmjr25's Reference NEO-GEO Price Guide ----- NeoGeoKult Price Guides (Euro) -----

    For the latest 3d printing and laser projects check Instagram: @Lions3D

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •