Neo Geo X Arcade Sticks to DB15 "Tutorial"

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Purpose : To use the new Neo Geo X Controller Sticks for other arcade reasons. You can solder directly to the chip*, or the legs from those specific buttons/joystick on the pcb. If you do this you can make it duel usb/db15 or you can just roll up the usb inside the case and easily restore the stick if you ever want to sell it again.[/B]

Inside the Controller :

6 cheap buttons and 4 micro switches attached to a pcb board set to an encoder.

photo15ls.jpg

Direct Picture of the board :

2h7jh3r.jpg

Chip :

You can solder directly to the chip*, or the legs from those specific buttons/joystick on the pcb. If you do this you can make it duel usb/db15 or you can just roll up the usb inside the case and easily restore the stick if you ever want to sell it again.

*I still have to verify 5v, but it looks correct, as my Multimeter battery died out.

1h5zf7.png

End product.

photo17pc.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Instead of a cable just use a female DB15 port and do it that way so just need to plug into it.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I have bought the stick and I'm purchasing the cords from spoonman. So, hopefully I'll show everyone the results.

Wynd

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have bought the stick and I'm purchasing the cords from spoonman. So, hopefully I'll show everyone the results.

Wynd

Don't wire the cord, use a female DB15 socket. I know I said that earlier.

Akille68

Crazed MVS Addict
I'll stay tuned to see the job completed, old original sticks are harder to find in excellent working conditions.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Xi? Why I cant I wire it like a snes or Saturn pad. what's the difference? You keep mentioning about the female db15. I'm trying for an original look.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What Xian Xi said is a good suggestion. Cutting up a Neo Geo extension cable is a dumb idea. Mounting a female DB-15 port is better in the long run, you can replace the cable easily, no matter what happens. Sure, you can cut up a Neo Geo extension cord, but don't expect applause.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's because you are spending like $20 on a dedicated cord instead of being able to use it for other sticks and pads. But it is your call since it's your money dude.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Isnt the NEO-GEO X stick made in China and of lessor quality over the reasonably easy to come by genuine original Japan made SNK stick?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm with you, prob is, let's say it's shit. I can easily reattach the old cord and sell it on AMAzon "slightly used". Everything is made in china and Japan and usually with inferior plastics, whether it's 1992 or 2013.

Xi does make a valid bought. But I'm only using it for neo geo stuff :-).

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Nothing wrong with materials used in the 1990 sticks.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well I hope to see this work out as I could use some decent sticks.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I'm with you, prob is, let's say it's shit. I can easily reattach the old cord and sell it on AMAzon "slightly used". Everything is made in china and Japan and usually with inferior plastics, whether it's 1992 or 2013.

Xi does make a valid bought. But I'm only using it for neo geo stuff :-).

If you want to use your NGX stick on the AES or any other Neo with deep hood controller ports, you're either gonna have to cannibalize a cable from an existing joystick or sacrifice a Neo Geo extension cord. Both options are really expensive. Using a plain DB-15 cable is only useful if you are going to be using a CMVS or Supergun with short hood controller ports.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Man, that's a real cost saver there. I'll have to do that to my custom sticks.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I have cords from gamedoctorHK which at the time were $5. I picked up a one more from Spoonman as well. I have about 7 right now total. so it's no big deal. The ones I have from HK and spoonman already have on side cut off, so it's no big deal to cannablize anything.

MMmonkey's way of doing it is how I did my other sticks before I purchased REAL legit NeoGeo Sticks, but I haven't seen those "type" of cables he uses in awhile.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
wyndcrosser have you considered opening up one of those USB game controllers taking the decoder chip out, rewire the USB back out to a DB15 and seeing if that might work instead of hacking up the stick?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
wyndcrosser have you considered opening up one of those USB game controllers taking the decoder chip out, rewire the USB back out to a DB15 and seeing if that might work instead of hacking up the stick?

You mean, using the original USB cable? USB has only 4 conductors (wires), DB-15 has 15 (duh).

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Do you even know what I mean? I was saying take the decoder chips out of those controllers and reverse it(if its even possible) I'll find the link to what I mean

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Okay i found it. I mean take this idea and see if its possible to take the USB input signal and see if it can be outputted back to a DB15 signal.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?92412-Attn-MKL-Neo-to-USB-Controller-Adapter&p=1113184#post1113184

I know what you mean, take the encoder out and make it external in a small enclosure so the stick can be used for both. If the PCB inside is small enough even better, not much work would need to be done to make it fit in an enclosure.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Oh ok, that's what you meant. Kinda seems silly, I like using joysticks on my Neo-Geo, not PCs.