Neo Geo X Arcade Sticks to DB15 "Tutorial"

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Okay so I've tried a converter and no it didn't work properly. No signals would go through. I actually had a logitech from awhile back.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
jesesfbi. I used a converter USB to DB15 device. I used to use it for old scan guns etc at my previous job. So it was "getting" power. I checked it too. :)

But there wasn't any rewiring.

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ah I didn't know you had one lol. Well then embark and hack that thing up and tell ups how it worked out :) I've been dying to do something you are doing

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The big reason I'm doing this is I'm buying an Omega Shell/components and I want everything to look PRETTY.

Wynd

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Awesome!

Now I am considering taking an X stick and leaving the USB cable for compatibility but adding a DB15 port so I could also use it on a real neo system.

I mean, I have a billion old style sticks, but it would be cool anyway.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I've never owned a real AES stick, besides NeoGeoCD Pads. But the X Stick is REALLY cheap. REALLY.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Don't solder to the chip, use the pins that the traces go to instead. Every thing is already marked.

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
What Xian Xi said is a good suggestion. Cutting up a Neo Geo extension cable is a dumb idea. Mounting a female DB-15 port is better in the long run, you can replace the cable easily, no matter what happens. Sure, you can cut up a Neo Geo extension cord, but don't expect applause.

you sure that will work? because female db-15 are shorter than the neo plug from the cord i think , i tried something like that in the past, it's like put a monting male db-15 into the aes controller port, he won't plug because he's too short.
however, if mounting a femal db-15 work , i will probably do this and let the usb cord at his place.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I don't listen to anything Heavy says. So, do whatever you wanna do :). I just posted the information.

I'm also replacing the joystick as well on the neo geo x controller, because it's HORRIBLE. It spins, pulls up and down, etc.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I used a converter USB to DB15 device. I used to use it for old scan guns etc at my previous job.

May I ask which one? I'm looking for a cheap way to play my supergun with any USB controller.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Finished the mod, took me about 20 minutes. I wrapped the usb cord inside the unit for now and connected the db15 black cord directly to the PCB soon in the pictures. Works pretty well. I still think the buttons/joystick are rather "cheap" compared to what we're used too.

Wynd

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
+5 wouldn't be necessary if you are using this on Neo though, right? I thought only the CD pads used +5. Nice work though, been meaning to do this as well.

master_d

n00b
Anyone know if you can open up the housing that surrounds the db15 female connector on the neo-geo extension cable? Or maybe even these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-in-DB15-...876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257a62bf94

What I'd like to do is place a female usb port in the back of the db15 housing and use a microcontroller (maybe an ATTiny) to convert the usb signal to db15. This would be the cleanest solution since you wouldn't have to modify the NGX sticks at all.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Also the fucking joystick ball is glued onto the shaft! #rage

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Can you tell me the exact number and type of IC chip?
Maybe a macro picture you can make it?

I pulled out and looked at myself.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
1h5zf7.png

Can I just ask for a clarification with regard to where the Ground wire from the DB15 cable should be attached to? The table states 'multiple locations' - which are these and does more than one need to be used?

aaluis

n00b
Hi, I know it has been a while but This is exactly what I have looking for, do you have any pictures of the final results? I mean pictures of the soldered db15 cable to the board? I have a project of a CMVS and would love to have the NGX Sticks working with it, I will appreciate your help very much.
Thanks in advance!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Are these even worth converting? I've read they are pretty flimsy...
BB

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I got around to grabbing one of these pretty cheap described as not working which works for me and was pleasantly surprised to find out that what I had been reading was over exaggerations .Sure it's not the same quality as the original and that has to be a foregone conclusion considering who released it and where it was manufactured. I find that the quality is no different than one of the plastic enclosures you pick up to make a custom stick imo.
The USB should and will be completely removed with this one and the chip's pin outs should not matter. Videogamessource carries NEW 6FT Replacement 15 pin cable repair the NEO GEO AES Joystick controller E23 for like 11.95 shipped. or I'll cut an old EXTENSION cable I have that needed to be shaved down to work.
I'll report back later.
BB