Neo Geo AES Modem

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Having a clear out of some game stuff and came across this A4 SNK brochure. It's an early item from the US when the neo was offered out as a rental system. It even has the early SNK logo. Anyhow, it's interesting to read in the text that SNK refer to a modem (to be available soon) for home banking etc..

Did anyone else have a copy of this brochure back in the day and was there any other talk of a modem or was it just a pipe dream at the time?

Here's some photos and if anyone is interested in owning this it will be up for sale shortly on the forum (shameless plug for sales thread)....

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

Cheers,

Frazer99

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
lol oh great banking on the neo-geo...it's like buying a $2000 gaming laptop to play solitaire...the irony.

"But mom, if you get me a Neo-Geo, you will be able to do your banking on it!!!" Well, at least it would've given kids an excuse to ask for it :P

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
IMG_4448.jpg
This guy is his resemblance shared by the saw guy only or was there another creepy movie I didn't watch with a similar character? What game is the screen he's next to from? Magician Lord? I have not been able to get one of those yet.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
neo_modem.png

Yep, saw this in another flyer.

What I was trying to figure out is if it is a US-only adv...can't recall anything about it in JPN flyers (they do report "networking" but about MVS-2-AES data exchange), but I should check soon or later.

Edit:

Interesting thing, is the SNK logo ver... this and rental adv., definitively early '90 stuff.

Last edited:

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
We mentioned and showed the Modem cartridge online back in the late 90s.
We even had it at our booths during the CGE shows.
modemcartridge3.jpg

12 years ago, Mitch "Orpheus" Shea was fortunate enough to attend and
visit the NGF booth during CGE2K1 to witness all of the rare and unique
items in person, including the Neo Pocket Station, Warlocks of the Fates,
Last Odyssey, and the Modem Cartridge.

modemcartridge2.jpg

Mitch brought his KoF2000 with him to Las Vegas.
Mitch still wants that MotW 3-D display, shown on the top shelf with
Crossed Swords 2 and Warlocks of the Fates.
Msh1.jpg

Oh, and I just noticed, there is one of the rolex watches I was accused of lying about owning right on my wrist lol. Right next to our Frank Miller collaborative Ganryu.

Cannot believe that was almost 12 years ago already.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
For the collector that has everything I guess. Wonder what it would sell for on Ebay?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Herr...any other pic of such incredible item?

It is not even clear if it is the same cart in the two pictures. :( (the second one seems more exotic, but different in shape from the shell of the first one).

Which technology was used to connect? Any screenshot could reveal a lot.
Any picture of other accessories?
How was the user supposed to check his/her bank account without a keyboard?

It's a shame this is the only material left..

Last edited:

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Good find Massi. Thanks for posting that other flyer.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Pedrobear said:
Keyboard was planned at some point, it is documented.

That's why I'm asking to Chris, any info of other accessories? Even if that's a prototype, I was wondering how it could exist without a (prototyped) more evolved input device...it had to be around as well...or did they used a 3rd party keyboard? (very curious about the connection type).

in general, any reference or (clear) picture from anybody, would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Punisher5.0

Cheng's Errand Boy
Herr...any other pic of such incredible item?

It is not even clear if it is the same cart in the two pictures. :( (the second one seems more exotic, but different in shape from the shell of the first one).

Which technology was used to connect? Any screenshot could reveal a lot.
Any picture of other accessories?
How was the user supposed to check his/her bank account without a keyboard?

It's a shame this is the only material left..

Agreed. Any more info you can give us chrisr?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I hope to see this modem discovered or resurrected in my lifetime. What a great, quirky piece of Neo history!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
IMG_4448.jpg

This guy is his resemblance shared by the saw guy only or was there another creepy movie I didn't watch with a similar character?
I think you're probably referring to V for Vendetta, although, that wasn't a creepy movie tbh...

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Reading about this made my head hurt. So... I'm guessing the cart itself had a telephone jack plug in? The original "Magic Jack" perhaps? WTF.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
been there, done that.

Reading about this made my head hurt. So... I'm guessing the cart itself had a telephone jack plug in? The original "Magic Jack" perhaps? WTF.

yeap. the average person would show up close pics of the cartridge, the RJ connector on the cartridge, the boards inside the cartridge, a screen shot of what is seen when the cartridge is plugged in, possibly a product code number for the cartridge, etc. those are definitive images.

but, no, lets just show the same old shit, inconclusive 10 year old pictures that make the alleged item completely indiscernible from a loose home cart with its label removed.

you just gotta love it!

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
yeap. the average person would show up close pics of the cartridge, the RJ connector on the cartridge, the boards inside the cartridge, a screen shot of what is seen when the cartridge is plugged in, possibly a product code number for the cartridge, etc. those are definitive images.

but, no, lets just show the same old shit, inconclusive 10 year old pictures that make the alleged item completely indiscernible from a loose home cart with its label removed.

you just gotta love it!

No, the average person would not scam and rip off unsuspecting idiots for tens of thousands of dollars all while pretending to actually know something. You are the absolute lowest of the low, a true lowlife - disgusting.

Someone made a thread about something they were interested in, I responded with some pictures I dug up from over 11 years ago, showing the actual device, which was ON DISPLAY at the CGE. The same one you were too much of a pussy to come on to the floor and meet us at, but instead hid out in the lobby. If you were man enough to actually come to the booth, you could have looked at it all you wanted. Instead you took the cowards way out as usual.

As many others have pointed out, billy has done absolutely nothing for the neo geo except badger people for information he can attempt to take credit for in the future. I tried really hard to think of a SINGLE positive thing you have brought to this forum or the neo geo and I could not.

Now, for the original questions by people that just wanted to know more about this piece of hardware that were not at the CGE to see it themselves.

Dion and I obtained this item as a part of the SNK Japan buyout. When we liquidated SNK Japan we brought back an extremely large amount of unique items, most of which would have been lost forever. Things such as original art, prototype cartridges, prototype hardware, etc. were just a part of the deal. Of course, at the time the thousands and thousands of cartridges were the main focus of it all, since they really amounted to the largest outlay money wise. Over the years we have tried to show this stuff in person or through pictures. Some of it got huge attention, others almost nothing.

Not many people seemed to care about the modem. We never had a keyboard, or saw anything that indicated one was created. The cartridge was not localized yet from what I could tell, as when you plugged it in the text was all Japanese. The main interface seemed to just be joystick based. The cartridge inside seemed to be a fusion of modem type hardware and a standard cartridge. This was not a network device, but a dial type modem device. Anyway, there was not much to see in the interface, but I thought it was a cool conversation piece. Again, back then it did not seem to garner much attention. People were still focused on new releases and the cartridges.

The pictures show the exact same cart, as we only had the one. It was displayed at every CGE we attended. But again, during that era, people were just more focused on other things. It was sold to THE mega collector as far as I am concerned, as he was way ahead of him time and just seemed to want everything, no matter how useless.

I have no information about SNK of America and if they ever actually had one of these, or what they knew about it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No, the average person would not scam and rip off unsuspecting idiots for tens of thousands of dollars all while pretending to actually know something. You are the absolute lowest of the low, a true lowlife - disgusting.

Someone made a thread about something they were interested in, I responded with some pictures I dug up from over 11 years ago, showing the actual device, which was ON DISPLAY at the CGE. The same one you were too much of a pussy to come on to the floor and meet us at, but instead hid out in the lobby. If you were man enough to actually come to the booth, you could have looked at it all you wanted. Instead you took the cowards way out as usual.

As many others have pointed out, billy has done absolutely nothing for the neo geo except badger people for information he can attempt to take credit for in the future. I tried really hard to think of a SINGLE positive thing you have brought to this forum or the neo geo and I could not.

Now, for the original questions by people that just wanted to know more about this piece of hardware that were not at the CGE to see it themselves.

Dion and I obtained this item as a part of the SNK Japan buyout. When we liquidated SNK Japan we brought back an extremely large amount of unique items, most of which would have been lost forever. Things such as original art, prototype cartridges, prototype hardware, etc. were just a part of the deal. Of course, at the time the thousands and thousands of cartridges were the main focus of it all, since they really amounted to the largest outlay money wise. Over the years we have tried to show this stuff in person or through pictures. Some of it got huge attention, others almost nothing.

Not many people seemed to care about the modem. We never had a keyboard, or saw anything that indicated one was created. The cartridge was not localized yet from what I could tell, as when you plugged it in the text was all Japanese. The main interface seemed to just be joystick based. The cartridge inside seemed to be a fusion of modem type hardware and a standard cartridge. This was not a network device, but a dial type modem device. Anyway, there was not much to see in the interface, but I thought it was a cool conversation piece. Again, back then it did not seem to garner much attention. People were still focused on new releases and the cartridges.

The pictures show the exact same cart, as we only had the one. It was displayed at every CGE we attended. But again, during that era, people were just more focused on other things. It was sold to THE mega collector as far as I am concerned, as he was way ahead of him time and just seemed to want everything, no matter how useless. It is safe to say that when games like FFB surface, this will probably surface as well.

I have no information about SNK of America and if they ever actually had one of these, or what they knew about it.

Hope this helps.

I read about this a long time back in a Gamest mag, but I thought this was supposed to be a MVS cart. Do you have better pictures?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

The pictures show the exact same cart, as we only had the one. It was displayed at every CGE we attended. But again, during that era, people were just more focused on other things. It was sold to THE mega collector as far as I am concerned, as he was way ahead of him time and just seemed to want everything, no matter how useless.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris, I believe it is important to get as much information as we can, especially about such obscure items.

While I understand no regular user would be interested, today there are very few items we can chat about... I'll dig some JPN reference in the meanwhile, I would say it is missing from that panorama, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I do not understand clearly if the item is gone or not, but in case please take it from the shelf and grab some screenshot!

Tech question: would it be possible to get a 101(or less) keyboard from 1 joystick port? (reference says "current status of controller 1"

We discussed this sometime in the mahjong/IritatingMaze/Kizuna4P thread, but can't remember the final max input max combo.

Setting the address to 4 would trigger something useful in Unibios? (Raz?)

Edit:
Xander Crews said:
I read about this a long time back in a Gamest mag, but I thought this was supposed to be a MVS cart. Do you have better pictures?

Ha, cool! I was looking on SNK's brochures...do you remember anything about that issue? I should have it around.

Last edited: