Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Some people here buy an Megadrive or Jaguar Homebrew ?
they paid just 10 or 20 because it's an homebrew ?
Of course not you Paid 60/70 like the better game in the 90'
and so if people want a Physical AES production ?
Personnaly i will buy the CD version

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So you buy everything that has the name "Neo Geo" on it? How many NGX did you buy?

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
nothing :eek_2:
but i like the concept of Homebrew and i buy it when i like them (i have some on Lynx/Jaguar/Dreamcast etc.)
and on neo geo CD of course

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
i play it had is not shit, after is not use all the color potential of the neogeo it is true
personaly i think more we have game on neogeo more we have knowledge of this console better the futur game will are

The problem with Le Cortex is that they didn't learn how to properly code on the Neo Geo before making games and are cutting a lot of corners with these games. If they learned how to properly code games then I would agree about getting more knowledge out of the console. In Totc, the opening Neo Geo splash was supposedly coded wrong and they used code from Puzzle Bobble to make Totc.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
The problem with Le Cortex is that they didn't learn how to properly code on the Neo Geo before making games and are cutting a lot of corners with these games. If they learned how to properly code games then I would agree about getting more knowledge out of the console. In Totc, the opening Neo Geo splash was supposedly coded wrong and they used code from Puzzle Bobble to make Totc.

Yeah i am agree with you, i don't know for Puzzle Bobble and Toc, but i's true they don't know the 68000 and pixel art so they learn with this production
the principale problem of this game it's display of the 256 color, i don't know why but it's very difficult and lot of homebrew can not do that
(edit the probleme is on the sprite tile, you should have 16 color only in a tile but i don't know why the homebrew production can not do like SNK)
in fact the other probleme is the tools. Nobody have SNK's tools so it's very hard to do similar production

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah i am agree with you, i don't know for Puzzle Bobble and Toc, but i's true they don't know the 68000 and pixel art so they learn with this production
the principale problem of this game it's display of the 256 color, i don't know why but it's very difficult and lot of homebrew can not do that
(edit the probleme is on the sprite tile, you should have 16 color only in a tile but i don't know why the homebrew production can not do like SNK)
in fact the other probleme is the tools. Nobody have SNK's tools so it's very hard to do similar production

Jeff Kurtz made some tools for game production/development for the community. The tools made it very easy to do but some people in the community tried to pass it off as their tools without mentioning Jeff or Neobitz so the tools got pulled. They may come back at a later time but that dick move of stealing the tools by that guy was really insulting to the person who made it out of his passion for the Neo.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Jeff Kurtz made some tools for game production/development for the community. The tools made it very easy to do but some people in the community tried to pass it off as their tools without mentioning Jeff or Neobitz so the tools got pulled. They may come back at a later time but that dick move of stealing the tools by that guy was really insulting to the person who made it out of his passion for the Neo.

Jeff's work from what ive seen from Knights Chance is imo right on par with snk's skills. He is amazing I think Jeff can make some amazing games in the future.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Jeff work from what ive seen from Knights Chance is imo right on par with snk's skills. He is amazing I think Jeff can make some amazing games in the future.

Yes, and that's why I now refer to him as an Indie Developer and not homebrew. Stay tuned for other great games from Neobitz.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Thank you very much for the heads-up, i thought this was an official SNK release... :spock:

You're missing my point here. Of course this is not anything like an 'official' NeoGeo release, indeed, and I never thought to point that out to you. My point is, in fact, this is not even a 'NeoGeo release'. Because NeoGeo is a registered trademark, and you got to be licensed to do anything like a 'NeoGeo release' to begin with. Thus you see, either a NeoGeo release is an official one, or it's not even to be called a "NeoGeo release" at all. So, what we have here? A 100% homebrew product. I dare to say homebrew is good as long as you enjoy playing it. But for collection purpose? Not at all. Or, you can just stuck a simple midi and a static digital picture into a couple of eprom chips, put into a sacced AES shell, then market it as a WNeoGeo release"... and you would buy it as a 'NeoGeo collection piece'? Nonsense.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
I didn't read every page of this topic, so sorry if this has been said already:

Did anyone other than me read the title and think this was an MLP fan game?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yes, and that's why I now refer to him as an Indie Developer and not homebrew. Stay tuned for other great games from Neobitz.

I completely agree with you James. I don't know anything about cards or those kinda of games. But just seeing the art work and passion Jeff put into this game makes me want to buy it anyway and learn lol. I 100% support Jeff / Neobitz keep'em coming Jeff.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Well the game doesn't certainly look good. They should pull it off and get better skills or help for doing games on the neo. Releasing this kind of shit only gives a bad name to their company sadly. So do us neo fans a favor and please don't release this pony game on our beloved hardware.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
stop fucking defending the game and start responding to the criticism. if everyone says "ditch the donkey, and spend more time making the game more colorful" then do it. fuck. its a homebrew game. listen to your audience! they are the only people who may ever consider buying your shovelware!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
mh... hadn't heard of this one. Now I have and can only repeat what has been said: It's an OK release if you're practicing, but no fucking way is it worth $300+ - no matter how innovative the AES/MVS dual design might be. Keep at it, learn how to program properly, trash the flash look, develop some better artwork, pimp the sound, listen to community feedback ... and then you can get a decent product done that is worth the hardware cost. This could still be put out on CD or as a ROM for like $15 though.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Because i'm a collector and i have every single AES release...

Not trolling, but where does a serious collector like you draw the line? Im starting to get the feeling with some of this stuff that people will literally pay $400 for anything a backyarder comes up with provided it's in a home cart shell and boots because they fear they will miss out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Not trolling, but where does a serious collector like you draw the line? Im starting to get the feeling with some of this stuff that people will literally pay $400 for anything a backyarder comes up with provided it's in a home cart shell and boots because they fear they will miss out.

This was basically my point as well. :-)

AES collectors =/= reason

I am an AES collector. And I'm a follower of strict logic and ontological philosophy, to the point of being stubborn ad I am. XD

Just like ppl, you'll find a lot of different types of collectors. That's human nature.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Lately I was wondering as well, about this kind of "productions"...

I could partially understand Brandi's POV, trying to gather everything made, even home-brew, for let's say "for the records" purposes.
...kinda "here the official stuff, and here some aberration, which is somehow part of the history of the machine as well".

Problem is, that since some year, this kind of attitude itself is the very reason, for which people wakeup in the morning and "produces" shit.

Personally, as soon no cart is sacced this doesn't bother me too much (it seems Cortex won't, even if in the video, they just showed their development board with two connectors)

Far from prototypes, the only one I bought has been FastStriker, for a simple reason: it has been played (with record IIRC) at Mikado arcade in Tokyo.
I mean, this game has been acknowledged by the *Japanese gaming community*..sounds enough for an "oddity" to enter my collection.

That's it, if XYX goes the same way, I will probably go for it...but bottom line is, I found my way to make selection....I must admit I'm quite intrigued by JMK card game...graphic is damn cool :P.

Anyway, I would share a suggestion, which makes to me way more sense, if Neo forcefully has to be the development platform also for "Sunday Entrepreneurs"

-NG:DEV/JMKurtz develop an USB/SSD upgradable cart , with label space and dedicated shockbox (no insert)...let's call it "Universal Cart System".
-Every developer produces a game with CD packaging (manual, cover , printed CD-Rom and/or SSD, plus insert and label bonus)
-The game can be loaded into the cart, via PC (or directly mounted in the cart if SSD).

Benefits:
Collector has a NeoGeoCD-like package, plus some goodies like the label and insert for the UCS.
The game has no restriction, using AES full potential.
The cost goes down.
The homebrew developer margin is higher (considering there is no effort needed for the cart development)

I'm pretty sure Raz, NGDEV or JMKUrtz can think about a private/public key mechanism, to ensure only a certain copy can be played in to a certain Cart....here you go, I also gave you guys the "elitism" option.

Standardization.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
-NG:DEV/JMKurtz develop an USB/SSD upgradable cart , with label space and dedicated shockbox (no insert)...let's call it "Universal Cart System".

It's like you're saying "fuck you" to all the snobby collectors without actually saying it. Haha!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
It's like you're saying "fuck you" to all the snobby collectors without actually saying it. Haha!

Houch....you caught me!

I'm pretty sure that this way, only nice games from motivated developers would see the light.

And btw, I was serious, binding a cart to its owner (and hence the game) trough a kind of digital certificate, would not only mitigate piracy, but make possible even more absurd "custom numbering" ideas...

I understand (while disagreeing) that some collectors have the "shelf lineup" syndrome, but all they need is to focus on a different package...this could be the future of homebrew

UCS.jpg

(Accepting preorders):loco:

Last edited:

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
In fact the solution is, like i said always, the neo geo CD Game :-J

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
In the last 9 years, since the last official AES release, only 3 homebrew/indie new games has been released in AES format...

I don't see here a pattern to suck money from collectors (we're talking about 1 new game every 3 years)

Sure they are not even close to the SNK standards, and some are pure shit (TotC and, quite probably, this one) but, to me, something is better than nothing..

And yes, in my position, i buy stuff for the fear of missing out and to keep things "complete"... I think i'm not doing any harm with this purchase...

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
...I think i'm not doing any harm with this purchase...

Acknowledging a developer of garbage by giving them money for said garbage is tantamount to providing tacit approval for the future development of MORE garbage. "If I make it, they will buy it!"

No harm? Quite the opposite. Your obsessive need to be, as you say it, "complete" is in many ways preventing the creation of actual GOOD software. Why should anyone go through the lengths and tribulations necessary to produce something decent when it is proven time and time again that suckers like you will absorb trite shovelware as long as it has an AES cart around it?

*shakes head* Sorry to come off preachy, but the point remains that handing these idiots free money in exchange for crap is NOT a good thing.