sony pvm-2950Q Help

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
ok i have a sony pvm-2950Q,

371c81e30b859dce95cf4523d18ca152.jpg

so my cuestion is can i use a vega jr supergun
that has this cables" Kiel-made 4-bnc"or do i need other cables?
d3df73bf7e425a7d1c55881a634b13d5.jpg

i just got it a few days ago from neo geo member "gabe" .but i haven't recieve it untill
maybe tomorrow

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Should work fine.

Red, Green and Blue plug into their respective R, G and B bnc connectors. The Black one is composite sync, so plug it into the bnc marked HD/Comp.

As far as audio goes, it appears that the cable has a 1/8 inch style headphone jack. Probably need to pick up a 1/8 inch stereo plug to rca connectors then plug it into the headphone cable jack and the rca's into the stereo audio jacks on the PVM (if you plan to use its speakers).

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Should work fine.

Red, Green and Blue plug into their respective R, G and B bnc connectors. The Black one is composite sync, so plug it into the bnc marked HD/Comp.

As far as audio goes, it appears that the cable has a 1/8 inch style headphone jack. Probably need to pick up a 1/8 inch stereo plug to rca connectors then plug it into the headphone cable jack and the rca's into the stereo audio jacks on the PVM (if you plan to use its speakers).
thanks,for your help i'll try it when the supergun get's here,
i just want it to make sure,so when it get's gere.i'll be ready.tx

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I got the vega jr supergun today,i test it on a regular tv & of course it works 100% using the rca cables,yellow,red, white

But when i test it on a sony pvm all i get is scramble picture using this cables like the picture .what i'm I doing wrong?or do i have to open the case and adjust the vertical hold? Sometimes the picture get's a bit steady for like 1 second

138fd4c895c3c8b3659e39ef9bd1898e.jpg

4642e36a271e677b8df1879cb0ed2448.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
As I mentioned above, you need to plug the black cable into the bnc marked HD/Comp sync. It's for either a seperate Horizontal sync or Composite sync (which is what the Vega outputs).

Move the sync connector to the HD/Comp one. You have it plugged into the VD (Vertical sync only) connector.

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
As I mentioned above, you need to plug the black cable into the bnc marked HD/Comp sync. It's for either a seperate Horizontal sync or Composite sync (which is what the Vega outputs).

Move the sync connector to the HD/Comp one. You have it plugged into the VD (Vertical sync only) connector.
I did that as well i get the same thing.even if the black cable is not connect it i get the same picture

gabe

Quiz Detective
The black cable needs to be connected. Also, on my PVM there is a button for external sync (EXT SYNC) that needs to be activated when using a cable like that. I'd guess that yours may also have one such button.

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The black cable needs to be connected. Also, on my PVM there is a button for external sync (EXT SYNC) that needs to be activated when using a cable like that. I'd guess that yours may also have one such button.

Do you have a picture of that button you are talking about?

gabe

Quiz Detective
It's on the left side of the bezel on my PVM-20L5:

cvzlT.jpg

gabe

Quiz Detective
The manual for your monitor makes it sound like it should automatically detect the external sync when it's plugged in, and RGB is selected. I assume you plugged it in, pressed the "Line 3" button, and then pressed the "RGB" button on your monitor?

If so, and its still not working, perhaps try plugging the black cable into HD/Comp port.

Also, here's a copy of the manual:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/PVM-2950Q/Manual/252860

Hope this helps.

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The manual for your monitor makes it sound like it should automatically detect the external sync when it's plugged in, and RGB is selected. I assume you plugged it in, pressed the "Line 3" button, and then pressed the "RGB" button on your monitor?

If so, and its still not working, perhaps try plugging the black cable into HD/Comp port.

Also, here's a copy of the manual:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/PVM-2950Q/Manual/252860

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Even if i don't plug the black wire to anything i get the same

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have a 2950QM and I had the same problem. You need to get on a LM1881 chip, everyone told me it's bullshit you don't need that but it's the only thing that fixed the problem. If your no good with soldering get one of these which is essentially the same thing just plug and play: http://www.arcadeforge.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=15

Soooo, for all composite sync situations you have to run it through a sync cleaner circuit?

Cause that sucks if so.

I could see if you were trying to use composite video as the sync. But straight comp sync should work.

I wonder if the Sigma/Vega JR's actually use composite video as the sync output rather than straight sync?

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Soooo, for all composite sync situations you have to run it through a sync cleaner circuit?

Cause that sucks if so.

I could see if you were trying to use composite video as the sync. But straight comp sync should work.

I wonder if the Sigma/Vega JR's actually use composite video as the sync output rather than straight sync?
I know for sure that the supergun works,cause i test it on a regular tv.with the RCA cables,yellow,red,white

And i test it the sony pvm with my dvd using S-video and it works really good

gabe

Quiz Detective
I know for sure that the supergun works,cause i test it on a regular tv.with the RCA cables,yellow,red,white

And i test it the sony pvm with my dvd using S-video and it works really good
The same supergun with the same cable worked on my PVM-20L5 before I sent it out. In fact, the pictures in the FS ad were taken that way. The cable also worked on Kiel's supergun.

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The same supergun with the same cable worked on my PVM-20L5 before I sent it out. In fact, the pictures in the FS ad were taken that way. The cable also worked on Kiel's supergun.
i'm sure the the supergun & cable are fine,in fact you could see the image on the sony pvm,but it doesn't stop scrolling

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Super gun and cables are fine, trust me, you need a sync cleaner. I tried a cmvs, home systen and snes on mine, nothing worked until i got on the lm1881. In theory it should work without it but it doesnt and i couldnt figure out why.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Ugh...been reading up and Have a bunch of stuff on order but noticed the Arcade forge Sync box has a power supply? I already ordered it and didn't get that. Is it necessary for the purposes of getting a clear signal to my PVM?

Edit: disregard...found my answer in the 2950q sync issue thread. Ballzdeep says he doesn't use the power supply.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If the image just rolls vertically, it sounds like your vertical hold needs adjustment. I don't know where it is on the menus of the PVM-2950Q, but on the PVM-2530Q there is a knob.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Ugh...been reading up and Have a bunch of stuff on order but noticed the Arcade forge Sync box has a power supply? I already ordered it and didn't get that. Is it necessary for the purposes of getting a clear signal to my PVM?

Edit: disregard...found my answer in the 2950q sync issue thread. Ballzdeep says he doesn't use the power supply.

Nope, never have had to use it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This is an old thread, but I was wondering, does anyone know how to adjust the vertical sync (V hold) on a 2950QM PVM?
There are no knobs on the outside to do it, like some PVMs have.
Is there a setting in the service menu (secret menu) to change it?
I can get to the secret menu, but I can't change any of the options there any more, for some reason (I used to be able to do that). When I press the Select Up & Down buttons, or the Menu button, it doesn't take me through the secret menu.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
I have five pvm 2950qm , one brand new, all of them require a sync strike (with its power supply)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have five pvm 2950qm , one brand new, all of them require a sync strike (with its power supply)
I have tried a couple of Arcade Forge sync strikes, an older one and a newer version (with power supply) on my 2950QM (with a SCART->BNC cable), but I can't get the sync to work (from an AES). The picture just keeps climbing up the screen, but the colours are fine. Same with a 9" 9045QM PVM I had. I tried everything, but nothing fixed it. I doubt it's a problem with the AES itself.
When I used a SCART cable from the AES, and a SCART->yuv converter, the component (yuv) worked fine on the 2950QM.

I used to have the 2950QM working fine with the same setup, but that was about 10 years ago. I also have a PS2, where the RGB used to have sync working fine.

Last edited: