Ajax's Collection?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
image8.jpg

This portion of my yoyo collection is a lot more impressive than my game collection (which is basically pictured here). Or, my game collection in Japan, anyway. My full game collection is probably pretty cool. But, then, so is my full yoyo collection, and it's probably worth more than my full game collection (and yours, realistically :kekeke:).

Most of my game stuff is pictured. I have a PSP, a 3DSLL, a DS Lite, a Gameboy Pocket and a GBA SP somewhere around here.

Next time I'm in the US, I'll post some pics of my game stuff.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Interesting collection thread. I don't know much about yoyos. I'll bite - how much are some of your rarer yoyos worth?

Ajax

15 Year Member
That red metal guy near the back and right (not the red plastic one in the very back) is probably worth about $400. I have two more of them in the US. The pink one and the silver one in the front on the left are Japanese yoyos and they cost about $200 new. I have six yoyos from that company.

I should post some pictures individual of yoyos. I imagine some of you would actually think they look pretty cool.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
What makes one yoyo more expensive than another? Are there limited editions or something? They all essentially do the same thing anyway right?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Maybe the question should be, what makes one yoyo better (and, thus, more desirable and more expensive secondhand) than another? But, the answer to that is actually pretty involved... High end, competition level yoyos these days are all basically around the same price, with the exception of Japanese yoyos, which are almost double. I don't know why it's that way, except that Japanese yoyos play really, really well.

The secondhand market is another story though.

To use the yoyo I mentioned earlier (The Peak, in case you're wondering), it was liked by basically everybody. It was made by a boutique company and, at the time, they were a super, super small operation. So, they didn't make too many. Routinely, when new Peaks would drop, the servers at the site that sold them would crash from the traffic. So, they were always hard to get firsthand. People liked them, so they rarely showed up in the used market. Then, they stopped making them in 2010 and people are still in a frenzy and will offer stupid amounts of money to get their hands on a Peak. But yeah, there probably aren't more than like 15 or so of each color of Peak, so that has something to do with it. I've heard about people actually paying like $600 for used Peaks. Bananas.

It's like cars I guess. They all do basically the same thing, but countless variables make some worth more than others.

It's funny... Initially, I was happy that yoyoing was a lot cheaper than arcade stuff. But, yeah... That's not true at all after a certain point.