Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EG: Arcade chronicles of the carrion kind.

living on a razor's edge, balancing on the ledge Poppy's Avatar

Coolest thread Ive seen in forever.

What a long, strange trip it's been. And still we roll down this baffling road, missing those who have left us. Daisuke Jigen, Sifl, SNK4EVER, Nightmare_Tony, Boog, Zero Satori. Gone but not forgotten.

Thanks to all for the kind words, good old memories and excellent memory (loegan43). I have a bunch more pics to post from past dealings, however I also have a handful of my new setup which is more modest but it packs quite a punch. I had to simplify due to 2 main reasons; I no longer have the lakehouse on the countryside, I live in a smaller place but I'm also closer to the city, so it's a give and take I suposse and the second reason, I honestly felt like it was time to slow down. I had more than a dozen cabs at home all at once and as much fun as it is to light em all up and play all the games I had come to the conclusion that all those cabs were only used to the fullest 3 or 4 times out of the year. Most of my friends enjoy the cabs but only a quater of them know what they're playing with, I mean, all that work for what? So they can sit there so I can keep up with them whenever I had some free time? It just hit me, it was time to let go. At first I was going to sell everything under the sun, and it started that way but not everything got sold and some stuff I just wasn't ready to part with, at any rate I did cut the herd down some what. At this moment I have 5 cabs at home, 3 29" candies that play all hardware other than Neo and 2 Neo 19" cabs (Goldie & Mini Hoodie) that do the rest, they're mostly there for complementing the Neo wall but they do see some play. In storage I have a couple other things plus a bunch of other hobbies stuff that I should be selling. THere's just so much stuff I have to go through. A word to the wise; LESS IS MORE.

I still want to streamline things a bit more, my goal is to end up with one woody and one candy, it's a hard choice. I've been getting ready and getting different CPs for my NAC and my EIIs juyst so I can make a good decisiona nd end up with something that can do it all with ease of flexibility. NAC is my favorite candy bar none, however the roatating mech on the EIIs is a big deal for me, always love that feature, I mean I can rotate the NAC no prob, but when you're down to one cab it could get a bit tedious. As far as a woody, well I'm torn between the Big Red rev. 1 and the Goldie, both cabs are great and hold lost of sentimental value for me. The Goldie 'cause it was my first and the BIg Red 'cause it was a long project that I pieced together with lots of patience and dedication. I've always wanted a Dynamo instead 'cause they can rotate but I might just get me a cocktail cab some day anyway and that'll take care of that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by trenog View Post
    What kind of sticks and buttons did you end up enjoying the most in all that time?
    That's a real good question. Happs IL is my favorite American style manufacturer, they're no more, IL and HApps have parted ways, Happs Suzo isn't horrible but you can still get IL. My favorite line of sticks was the Supers. Competitions sticks are OK but I much preffer the freedom of the Super, I don't need corner guidance on my sticks, I'm OK with optical and cornerless sticks. As far as buttons go, it really depends on the button layout. For example, a CPS2 setup would benefit from a convex competition button 'cause your fingers don't have to be on center to be at the ready. Concave buttons work great on older school setups like Galaga and other games that use a small number of buttons 'cause once your fingers are placed they won't need to travel from there, in other words your fingers will always be on center given that the layout is decent of course.

As far as Japanese style parts I'm gonna have to go with Sanwa. Seimitsu is allright but the buttons have more resistence and you can feel the switch plastic parts quite easily and the sticks have a deadzone that is too bothersome for me. I don't follow that whole "throw" debacle on the seimitsu sticks (LS32 for example), I'm too much of a "go with the best design" (JLF) but then again to each their own. I feel that Sanwa parts are engineered better. The Sanwa JLWs are surprisingly great but not better than the JLFs IMO.

So IL Happs or Sanwa? Well you can't just choose one, it's like asking a girl which shoes she likes best you know. Some games are better played with one thing over the other but there's also the "inner challenge" which compells you to excell with whatever comes your way, so I can't just pick one, I just figured I'd try them all and with time find my favorites, I'm sure what I loike might not be the best for everyone, the truth is' it's always a matter of prefference but that only applies if you have the knowledge to realize what the differences are. Hope that helps.

Thanks again you guys for the kind comments. We're all together in this and I'm just glad we get to share with each other some highs and lows of the hobby. When I get some time, hopefully real soon, I'll make another post with more pics.

Big Thanks to Shawn for pushing this forum section and making it official.

Unholy Trinity.

Great memories there. Love the approach to just showing stuff through the years man.

The Unholy Trinity

That big blue is sexy, I hope to find one in good condition some day.

Last sticks I ever made.

This one was a facelift for an old stick that I made.

This one was comissioned by someone who never finisehd the bizwax and in turn I gave it to someone who trashed the paint job on the frame so it's gonna go through a face lift some time. Arrgghh some people...

Repro comparison

Looks legit

NAC Restored from the nasty mess that it was. I decided to go with a black speaker shroud and I'm really glad I did, it just looks awesome and I always liked the look of the old Astros so it gets closer to that look with the black.

Got a little carried away with the clear blue cover shatfs, they look awesome.

My New Battle Station, not so big like before but for now it packs enough heat to keep me busy. I didn't really do much else with the new smaller gameroom, but it plays rather well.

Vipah Face One!!! Old and New side to side! It was tough getting the Original version but well worth it.

SFIICE restore job for a close friend.

Looking at it now the CP art could have been centered on the tsicks better...live and learn I guess.

Kicking ass on SSFIITHDRemix, I'm nowehere near this good anymore, I just don't play it as much but I'll come back someday.

Oh rockband...

More to come...

Some more projects

A Jacks TV mod.

Underneath a Minicute, when I restore I go all the way!

Close up of the Goldie Black Star Label with a plexy on top. I didn't like the
    standard color button set up and instead went with this, a lot of folks with Goldies here follow suit and among them one found these Black Start buttons, they fit this setup perfectly.

Here it is before restoration

Inside teh Cyberlead which I had to rewire mostly from scratch with aftermarket molexes and so on.

Daytona 2 slot

Back when I lurked BYOAC a bit too much.

And it goes on...

Die Gans

the gold cab really does look a lot better with the black buttons.
    Originally Posted by kernow:
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

Gandalf Of Gibberish

So Nice !

I don't mean the figure/diorama. I just thought it could be appropriate as you are surrounded by cabs to make you happy?
    Last edited by Karou; 11-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    white people shit is worthless .

Angel's Love Slave

This thread definitely gave me a boner , you have and had some really amazing stuff .

Morden's Lackey

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! That's a lot of nice stuff. I like the tate'd tv setup.

Bloodhound

incredible selection!

Occult Archmage

Wow dude, seriously. Very impressed!

Crossed Swords Knight

Your Dreams...I mean Arcade Chronicles of the Carrion kind are great.

Trollbox Trade Federation

Great walk through memory lane

The Goldie Black Label Society never dies....
    Clowns Suck

I hope to get a Goldie one day.

Ikari Warrior

I didn't know you had Viper Phase 1

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by supergoose79 View Post
    the gold cab really does look a lot better with the black buttons.
    Agree. The black buttons complement the gold well.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;"

Mickey's Coach

Dream collection. You got the games and the cabs

Impressed with the arcade sticks and restorations

great story bro. i enjoyed this thread.

Lenn.

Sgt. Pistachio

Great stuff!!!!!! Thanks for putting it all up!!!

Kula's Candy

This is awesome! Keep those pics coming.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Waddup Electricgrave nice collection!

Art of Typing Wiz

WOW ! This thread is grandiose, thanks for taking the time to upload and post all those pics.

those controllers are sweet btw , I definitely dig the handles on them.

It's funny how of all the pics you posted, as much as I like candy cabs and diy projects, the one that really made me smile was the SFIICE dynamo you're restoring. I can still see my quarter resting against the glass, waiting in line... Have fun with that one !
    Last edited by codecrank; 12-13-2012 at 09:07 PM.

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.
    Officially No.10 at Schmups.
    DIG it Brethren!

My favorite collection so far! I really dig the black shroud on the NAC, I agree about giving it a look closer to the original Astro. Also, that tate setup with Galuda is godly. Thanks for taking the time share your collection and story.

My friends thanks for the kind words. ATM I'm in FL and locked up all my goods in storage, when I return to dear old MASS I'm getting a new pad and with it a new gameroom, so soon I'll have more new pics to post along with more old pics from the archives.

Happy new year fellas!

Thread Information