Remembering Nightmare Tony. We lost a Neo Geo legend...

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Incredibly sad news. Cancer is a horrific thing to go through.

Rest in peace, Tony.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just a suggestion guys, but rather than posting memorial details on here, someone who knows his family should first reach out to them and ask what the best way would be for those who knew him here on the forums to honor his memory. I think the family would really appreciate the gesture.

They asked for people to donate to the American Cancer Society.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
All those photos on post 1 really make me smile.
Good luck in your next life Tony,
you're never gone when you have friends and family that aren't about to forget you.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
I think we all have learned a lot from Tony over the years, or at least I know I have. And for that I am forever grateful. Rest in peace, my friend.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I was lucky enough to get to know Tony a bit online in these last five or six months. What struck me was how open, honest and good-natured he was--In an online world that's often plagued with cynicism or self-importance, his genuine kindness was almost unsettling in how unexpected it was given his background. All I can say is I wish I'd gotten to know him even better. What he shared with the community in these past months was incredibly generous, like he was, and I can say that Tony left this hobby (and I mean that beyond NG.com) better than he found it.

Rest in Peace.

This.
I got didn't get to know him as much as Bobak but the times I did speak to him Tony's character and genuine nature made a mark. It is something that is becoming more and more uncommon as time goes by.

As someone who had a bout with this disease it is truly sad and hard to hear that he lost the fight against it. As is the effects it has on the person who is afflicted with it is not bad enough the toll it takes on said persons family is what is truly brutal.

I wish the best for his family, expecially as it seems that his kids are young.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
RIP Tony. Definitely one of the nicest guys I've met online. You will be sorely missed. :(

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sorry to hear this. It's so surreal. Just a few weeks ago I was talking to him over PM and now he's gone. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said about Tony. If you knew Tony, you knew what kind of upstanding amazing person he was that never expected anything from anyone and was always ready to help even in the midst of his condition. His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

BTW: What would you all think about doing some sort of fundraiser and/or marathon to raise money for Tony's family? I know they talked about any donations going to the American Cancer Society. I'd be interested in doing that if it's something we could get support for and rally around his family to show them some love. What do you guys think?

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
This is really sad news :( My thoughts are with his friends and family.

The few interactions I had with him were always pleasant ones, and I had hoped to have many more.

Marek

Banned
I was lucky enough to get to know Tony a bit online in these last five or six months. What struck me was how open, honest and good-natured he was--In an online world that's often plagued with cynicism or self-importance, his genuine kindness was almost unsettling in how unexpected it was given his background.

Same here.

I first talked to him in the trollbox and whenever he was chatting there it had the vibe that he was holding court. Everyone wanted to talk to him and he was totally kind and gracious with information. But the conversation always seemed to revolve around SNK, Neo Geo games, and cool tech.

Bah. I wish Id logged on more back then.

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
I am very sorry to hear this... I didn't know him to all to well but any time I stopped by chat and talked with him he was a great guy and fun to talk to.... Rest in peace Sir.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Tony, may you rest in peace.

Tommy

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
my prayers go out to your family and friends.
you were a very kind and loving person,
no one will ever forget all that you have done to help other.
this is really a sad day.
Rest in peace Tony.

Nando-

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Did not chat with him too much, but read a lot of what he wrote. Sad news for the community and the family. Good boys go fast. Sadly.
Wherever you are now, you'll live forever in this community.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Sorry I got only a glimpse of who he was from his posts. Definitely came across as one who put others first and had absolutely no tolerance for B.S.. I like that.
RIP NT.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I first talked to Tony in chat probably more than 5 years ago now, he dropped in at a time when it was usually just Nick and I sitting in there and was always interested in telling his stories and grateful for people to listen. I'm sorry that I didn't get my best wishes in before he passed even if he might not have seen them.

Otherwise, thoughts and condolences to his close friends and family. I'm sure if he was as kind and generous those who he came across during his life as he was to invisible online personae then he is a man deserving of celebrating a life well lived.

Lastly, if there was ever a short list for members that deserve the highest honor N-G.com can bestow of a small memorial page, Tony has to be at the top.

Godspeed.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
S
BTW: What would you all think about doing some sort of fundraiser and/or marathon to raise money for Tony's family? I know they talked about any donations going to the American Cancer Society. I'd be interested in doing that if it's something we could get support for and rally around his family to show them some love. What do you guys think?

it's already being worked on. there will be a separate thread coming next week once this all settles down.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I never got a chance to interact with Tony, wish I did. He seemed to be a really good person. RIP brother.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
it's already being worked on. there will be a separate thread coming next week once this all settles down.

PLEASE... before you put any money up, check with your employer to see if they do matching funds on donations. Mine does and I donated $500 to the American Cancer Society "In memory of Tony 'Nightmare Tony' Gonzalez" and thanks to my employer, that has been doubled to $1000 in Tony's name.

Raymond

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I've been recollecting the interactions I had with Nightmare Tony. This was some sad news to wake up to today. I remember talking to Tony in chat around 5 or 6 years ago, when this hobby was new to me and I had the zeal of somebody just discovering it. Tony's enthusiasm and passion for the hobby surpassed mine many times over, and he had been in it since the beginning. Dude was always a class act. He will absolutely be missed. My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace, buddy.

I am certainly interested in helping to represent NG.com in whatever capacity possible when stuff gets figured out.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Although I never really got to know Tony, just reading his posts in the recent months, anyone part of the brotherhood of Neo Geo technical knowledge is a friend of mine. Tony, thanks for all that you've done for the community and our understanding of the Neo Geo (one day I will make a steering wheel!)... And above all, thanks for touching the lives of everyone on this forum. May you never be forgotten, Tony... :)