Broken Neo Geo CD System - Questions

scots

n00b
Hello all, first post here and hoping to get some insights from some Neo Geo experts.

I've got a Neo Geo CD that I've recently acquired, and it has an issue. When I put a CD in a power it on, nothing happens. The CD just sits there, and there is no activity at all. Looking at pictures on the internet of the CD mount and spindle, and comparing them to mine, it almost looks as if I may be missing a piece of the spindle where the center hole of the CD sits. I'll post a pictures of it below. What do you guys think?

IMG_1407.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the door switch, it often gets dirty and doesn't push the switch in the system to start spinning the disc because it can't move when it's dirty. You can use a screwdriver to push the pin down if it's stuck.

scots

n00b
Thanks for your responses. One question - what is the door switch exactly? So you guys don't think there is a piece missing on the CD spindle in the center?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The spinner the disk sits on is pushed too far down. Remove that cloth thing around the ring, and pull/push the holder slightly higher than the plastic cover.

Nqzj1.jpg

scots

n00b
Thank you! That is very helpful. I can't seem to get it to budge, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll have to take it apart and push it up from the inside?

scots

n00b
Unfortunately that piece is not budging. I feel like if I push any harder I'll be snapping plastic...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Take it apart and pull it out. It is pretty tight, but I'm certain that is the problem. When I get home tonight I can take a pic of how far it needs to be out.

scots

n00b
Thanks, you're very helpful. I assume it's supposed to look about like the one in this pic below. Is taking it apart as simple as removing the 4 small screws on the inner part to get to that underside?

0.jpg

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Thanks, you're very helpful. I assume it's supposed to look about like the one in this pic below. Is taking it apart as simple as removing the 4 small screws on the inner part to get to that underside?

Yes, just those 4 screws but be careful when you lift the top half, it's connected to the motherboard by a ribbon cable which doesn't have much slack. This cable can be damaged easily and if you damage it you will have a very hard time finding a replacement.

scots

n00b
Thanks - I do see the ribbon and I have that piece off. I'm trying to pull the spinner out by pulling the metal rod coming from the cylinder piece on the other side. Still can't seem to get anything to budge.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
dont pull the actual rod, pull the flat disk that is attached to the rod

scots

n00b
Ahhh, ok. I'm now pulling/pushing on the disc trying to get it to come out farther than the holder that it needs to get above. I'm pulling for all I'm worth. It ain't budging.

I appreciate your help guys - sorry I'm not having success here.

scots

n00b
Ok, I finally got it to pop off. I then put it back on and pushed it down. Now it's resting a bit above the plastic loop, as it should be I think. I turn it on, and still nothing happens. Should the disc start spinning right away?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
if its not spinning with the lid closed, then there may be another problem. Also, did you reconnect the ribbon cable to the motherboard?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you check the door switch? It's on the case. If you open the lid you will see a round piece of plastic, it should be moving up and down when you open and close the lid.

scots

n00b
Did you check the door switch? It's on the case. If you open the lid you will see a round piece of plastic, it should be moving up and down when you open and close the lid.

Is that the part that has a felt-like surface that seems like it would rest on the top of the CD?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is that the part that has a felt-like surface that seems like it would rest on the top of the CD?

It's on the case, not the lid.

0.jpg

In this pic it is below the spinner to the right.

Last edited:

scots

n00b
The button is lined up with the knob on the lid, and it does seem to push it down when the lid is closed, yes.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The button is lined up with the knob on the lid, and it does seem to push it down when the lid is closed, yes.

Did you push it down with a screwdriver like I said earlier or are you guessing it works?

scots

n00b
Yes, I did push it down with a screwdriver to ensure that it's moving up and down freely. Is there something inside the system that I need to make sure that switch is activating or pushing?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes, if you open the console you will see a black switch with a clear housing, that's the switch that the pin pushes down on.

Before you open the console, power it on with the lid open and push down on the pin to see if it spins.

scots

n00b
Tried that and nothing. I appreciate your help man. I'm starting to think this thing might be a lost cause. I was hoping it would be something simple, but I suppose it never is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tried that and nothing. I appreciate your help man. I'm starting to think this thing might be a lost cause. I was hoping it would be something simple, but I suppose it never is.

I've come across a lot of system that just had dead motors, this might be the case. I know there are replacements on ebay.