CRT Fetish Thread

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
S-video and composite all check out fine, look really good and don't have the issue after a few minutes of gameplay on each. For whatever reason when I tried RGB the yellowish tint was there from the start and It seems to stay that way, looks like it just needs a calibration.

If S-video and composite output is ok than in my view the monitor is most likely not the problem. Try troubleshooting upstream of the display i.e cables and the actual input device.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Here are some pictures of my PVM-1910. I wish I had a better camera to get rid of that scan bar, but alas. These pictures really don't do it justice.

Let me know if these are too big or too many:

pvm1910_1.jpg
pvm1910_2.jpg
pvm1910_4.jpg
pvm1910_5.jpg
pvm1910_6.jpg
pvm1910_7.jpg

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I got a weird problem.

I have 2 PVM's at the moment a very minty 20l2 and a beat up 20l5 that has amazing picture very notable improvement over the l2.

I've had the l5 hooked up to my Wii via component for emulators etc and its amazing and performs flawlessly.

I recently received a Genesis model 1 RGB SCART with stereo breakout from retro_console_accessories so I unhooked the Wii and got the BNC breakout cable back in and hooked up the Genesis. I got a picture but it had wavey/shakey/jitter all across the menu of the game.

I thought it was my SCART switch so took that out of the equation and still it was there, not only that the OSD was shaking like crazy even after I removed all the cables from the back of the PVM.

My first thought is that my l5 was dying and needed a recap or worse. I hooked up the wii again and it worked fine, no wiggle, no weird waves/jitters nothing.

I was thinking maybe it was the cab;e so I hooked upt he genesis with the new SCART to my l2 and it was perfect, rock solid.

I hooked up a PS1 to the L5 via SCART an had the same affect. weird wiggling/jitters/waves.

I finally hooked up a Super nintendo today with a composite sync SCART I got from Retrocablesuk and its doing the same thing, weird waves willing across the screen, its really noticable on text.

This seems to be an RGB specific thing, as component is fine.

WTF?

Not sure what to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

You thinkit might be a bad cap on the RGB side of things inside the l5?

HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Nyd

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
At least with my 20m2mdu, theres a section of the on-screen menu where you physically change the input from expecting RGB to Component (or vice versa). Maybe look for that?

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh yeah I'm changing the menu from component to RGB. It's in RGB mode now with Super mario running. Its been running that way for 20 minutes, I just went over there and had a look and the wave/wiggling across the screen is still happening.

Aside from a bad cap for the RGB side of things I dunno what to think.

Nyd

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yep,

The games are playable, I see an image but theres this sorta wiggling to the picture. Its jittering/wavey kinda. Not so you can't play but its distracting and disconcerting.

Doesn't happen at all on my L2. nor does it happen when I have the wii hooked up via component.

Nyd

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Does your scart cable have a sync cleaner? I think the 20L5 needs clean sync where as a lot of other PVMs work with cvideo (which is what scart RGB uses for sync in most cases)

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Does your scart cable have a sync cleaner? I think the 20L5 needs clean sync where as a lot of other PVMs work with cvideo (which is what scart RGB uses for sync in most cases)

This is the SNES cable I am using which works fine with the L2.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

And this si the Genesis 1/MD 1 SCART I am using.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161356221082?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Not sure what they have in common other than they both work flawlessly on my l2 and make my l5 take a shit.

I saw a image of soimeone with a sync cleaner kinda issue and the image looked sorta like when you don't have external sync pushed in.

My picture is viewable, but theres a sorta wobble/judder to the picutre like the PVM is struggling to display the image a certain way. I should make a video but scared to plug in the offending cables as the effect seems to linger after I remove all cables.

Nyd

Last edited:
If S-video and composite output is ok than in my view the monitor is most likely not the problem. Try troubleshooting upstream of the display i.e cables and the actual input device.

Cables work fine on my other 20" pvm and everything checks out on both a rgb n64 and snes, hopefully I don't get the issue anymore. On another note, anyone know how to prevent a line of interference when using a s-video modded genesis? I have no such issues on all tv's other than a pvm. I believe it's something to do with the grounding and the pvm using fully grounded plugs?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Found a Sony pvm 2030 on Craigslist for 75. Sent him a message, waiting to hear back. Pros/cons for the model? Priced well?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I got mine 2030 for $40 on CL a few years ago, so I'd say you could probably talk him down a bit.

The 2030 is a nice TV, it'll get you what you want, but the only downsides are:
- only 560 line display (unlike some of the higher PVM models that are 800 lines+)
- image controls for bowing/skew are inside the case, not in the back
- to connect to RGB you'll need to get a adapter to connect to the CMPTR connection in the back (like the SCART-CMPTR adapter at retrogamingcables: http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter.html)

Other than that, it's a fine CRT.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I got mine 2030 for $40 on CL a few years ago, so I'd say you could probably talk him down a bit.

The 2030 is a nice TV, it'll get you what you want, but the only downsides are:
- only 560 line display (unlike some of the higher PVM models that are 800 lines+)
- image controls for bowing/skew are inside the case, not in the back
- to connect to RGB you'll need to get a adapter to connect to the CMPTR connection in the back (like the SCART-CMPTR adapter at retrogamingcables: http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter.html)

Other than that, it's a fine CRT.

Thanks for the info, still waiting on him to reply, hopefully I can pic it up for cheap.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Going to post something a little different than what we normally post here. I picked up a Wii U last night and decided the PVM-20L5 would be the main monitor I use it on. I am going to try and get some better pictures of it tonight but here it is running the Windwaker HD remake in 1080i. The Wii U looks amazing on this monitor, I think I am going to keep it on this one instead of using the 1080p HDTV.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Oh man, that does look pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Unfortunately its super hard to get a crystal clear picture of the PVM-20L5 when its in 1080i. The vertical lines are a camera thing.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Going to post something a little different than what we normally post here. I picked up a Wii U last night and decided the PVM-20L5 would be the main monitor I use it on. I am going to try and get some better pictures of it tonight but here it is running the Windwaker HD remake in 1080i. The Wii U looks amazing on this monitor, I think I am going to keep it on this one instead of using the 1080p HDTV.
This is what we need more of in this thread, screen grabs of high definition PVMs.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
16:9 bezel on the set? Shots look unreal.

No. I just have the camera close enough where you don't see the unused parts of the crt. I would love the 16:9 bezel if they even made one.

Last edited:

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
No. I just have the camera close enough where you don't see the unused parts of the crt. I would love the 16:9 bezel if they even made one.
Yeah there's a compatible 16:9 bezel for the 20l5, 2-3 show up on ebay across a year I reckon.