CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Its nothing to do with projectors. Its display devices in general. Direct view monitors process the video signal exactly the same way as projection CRTs, so bringing up that is a mute point.

My point was: none of these consoles even output combined sync. So what's it matter?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
2AFC1BD3-9AA6-4131-9DB4-5326A6E57F24-51045-00000292AA816D1A.jpg

Sony PVM 2530
Less than 60 hours total usage from OG owner

Picked up local for $20 bucks today

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Care to elaborate?

Yep, neither of my CRTs take composite sync, and all the old consoles i have work direct into RGB-S with the exception of the PAL Saturn and the PS1. NEC Multisync CRTs, a 9PG and an XG 852.

Am I in?

IMG_1034.jpg

PVM 20L5 and a PVM 2530.

I mentioned to a friend that works at a TV station that I was interested in a Sony PVM. Two days later he dropped these off at my house. He said it must have been fate because they were just going to throw these away. Best part? FREE!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yep, neither of my CRTs take composite sync, and all the old consoles i have work direct into RGB-S with the exception of the PAL Saturn and the PS1. NEC Multisync CRTs, a 9PG and an XG 852.

I like how you side step and tip toe around the question. Neither the ps1 nor pal Saturn output any straight sync signal and cables for them use composite video for the sync signal. So it's no surprise that your monitors can't sync to them. I bet your monitors also won't sync to a PAL snes since it uses composite video for sync.

All the other consoles have dedicated composite sync pins.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Sony PVM 2530
Less than 60 hours total usage from OG owner

Picked up local for $20 bucks today

Very nice. I Doubted very much that someone could one up my awesome find, but even though yours was $10 more, Mine is WAAAY more used than yours is.

Congrats!

NEO-GEO man

I like how you side step and tip toe around the question. Neither the ps1 nor pal Saturn output any straight sync signal and cables for them use composite video for the sync signal. So it's no surprise that your monitors can't sync to them. I bet your monitors also won't sync to a PAL snes since it uses composite video for sync.

All the other consoles have dedicated composite sync pins.

I didnt mension SNES cause i dont use one. I also never said anything about using the sync pin either.

You just basically repeated exactly what i said. I know all this, you also claim to know, so why ask again?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I didnt mension SNES cause i dont use one. I also never said anything about using the sync pin either.

You just basically repeated exactly what i said. I know all this, you also claim to know, so why ask again?

Then what are you talking about?

Composite sync is NOT composite video. While composite video has composite sync mixed in with the video signal (since it has to), composite sync is not a result of the composite video itself.

Composite sync is a mix of H+V on one wire typical at around 1volt or so at 75 ohms. Nothing to do with composite video at all.

Where as the Combined sync that you refer to is similar except its a TTL level 5v at something like 1k ohms or some such. I am pretty sure NEC is about the only ones that make use of this as I can't find much mention of it anywhere except with some of their monitors and projectors. Either way, not that common.

All classic game systems that output RGB natively, have both composite video and composite sync on their av out ports with the exception of a couple pal systems mentioned above that omit the composite sync from their AV socket. And the majority of Sony PVMs (with the exception of some of the really old 80's models) can use either composite video or composite sync as the RGB sync signal.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Its like being on a merry go round... Where did i say composite video??

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Lets just agree to disagree since you won't clearly state how you figure these consoles output combined sync rather than composite sync.

NEO-GEO man

Sure if you like, there is quite obviously some sort of communication difficulty here for whatever reason ;)

I take the sync prior to it going into the CXA1145. They all work fine that way. None will work with the sync from pin 7 in the case of the 8 pin DIN socket or from the sync output side if a CXA1145.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I take the sync prior to it going into the CXA1145. They all work fine that way. None will work with the sync from pin 7 in the case of the 8 pin DIN socket or from the sync output side if a CXA1145.

Come the fuck on man, you never mentioned a word about grabbing the sync internally and/or modding it for something suitable for your specific monitors. You know we were talking about grabbing it from the systems stock av port like 99% of the world does.

That's just confusing the noobs who have a hard time understanding rgb.

Tisk tisk :shame:

:)

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Plenty of nerd rage going on, carry on lads. Lol

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Can we get some more pricks scoring 2 for free mine for 5$ etc...:envy:

Edit:Haha!! Its all in good fun Lemon

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Can we get some more pricks scoring 2 for free mine for 5$ etc...:envy:

tumblr_maqb9sIQGm1r23lnc.gif

I just got the DB25 to Female scart cable from this seller on ebay and hooked my NTSC Saturn to it (got the cable from another seller on ebay) and it looks AMAZING. I didn't even need to make a sync cleaning circuit! I Highly recommend the adapters if you're thinking about picking one up.

Now to get a Spider SCART cable... (yes, they're in stock. I emailed them.)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I used to have one, but got rid of it after moving, it wasn't getting much use
anyway since I had quite a few arcade machines at that time.

It's the best picture the NEO can get though if you don't have a Candy or Big Red.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I've been waiting on my Euro Scart cable for around 3 weeks now, so you can see why this would upset me.

Any idea why my SNES Won't Display in RGB through Broken's Adapter?

My Dreamcast, PS2, Sega Genesis, and even Wii worked after some fiddling with the region data.

I've tried all three sets of RGB jacks on the back of my system, as well as all three sync jacks back and forth. I've also gone through all settings in my menu. I thought it may have just been the cart, but all my snes carts display the same, and after testing three model 1 snes consoles, and even an snes mini (which displays nothing because it doesn't have RGB) I'm out of options but to ask you guys.

Does the SNES just not support RGB out of the box, or was I sent a busted/shitty cord that doesn't sync?

Believe me when i say this was the best looking photo. The picture waves violently & looks like it just doesn't want to sync.

It also emits a loud buzzing noise when hooked up to my speakers.

I wonder if I might have been sent a Japanese SNES Scart cable by mistake? But don't those have different pin outs? I don't even think they would fit into broken's adapter if that were the case.

Here's the eBay listing if it helps any.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280970993876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

hs27a0.jpg

33mu7oz.jpg

k3rx5f.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've been waiting on my Euro Scart cable for around 3 weeks now, so you can see why this would upset me.

My Dreamcast, PS2, Sega Genesis, and even Wii worked after some fiddling with the region data.

I've tried all three sets of RGB jacks on the back of my system, as well as all three sync jacks back and forth. I've also gone through all settings in my menu. I thought it may have just been the cart, but all my snes carts display the same, and after testing three model 1 snes consoles, and even an snes mini (which displays nothing because it doesn't have RGB) I'm out of options but to ask you guys.

Does the SNES just not support RGB out of the box, or was I sent a busted/shitty cord that doesn't sync?

Believe me when i say this was the best looking photo. The picture waves violently & looks like it just doesn't want to sync.

It also emits a loud buzzing noise when hooked up to my speakers.

I wonder if I might have been sent a Japanese SNES Scart cable by mistake? But don't those have different pin outs? I don't even think they would fit into broken's adapter if that were the case.

I think it might be that the cable you bought is an AV scart, not a RGB scart. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

You bought the wrong cable.

Something you need to realize about the SNES is that the cable needs to be specific for either a PAL or NTSC machine.

On a NSTC console it has a 220uf capacitor on each of the RGB lines. However a cable built for a PAL snes doesn't need those caps and instead needs a 75ohm resistor on each of the RGB colors.

Since you bought it from the UK, you can all but be guaranteed that it's wired for a PAL SNES.

2 choices:

1. Rebuild the cable to the correct standard for a NTSC SNES.

2. Get a new cable.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Damn, oh well.

Would this work? It says it would work for a U.S. Model SNES. Also, would it send audio to your av cables on the adapter just fine? I ask because this cable ALSO has an AV cable, so I'm worried it wouldn't redirect the audio to your adapter, and then to my speakers through my amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also, will I notice that faint green vertical line the SNES normally outputs in composite and s-video on model 1 snes systems?

That was part of why I got a Mini SNES awhile back.

Another thought comes to mind. When I mod my N64 for RGB, will the cord in the action work with that too?

and finally, what cord off eBay would you recommend I buy for my SEGA Saturn. I screwed up once, I don't want to make the wrong purchase a second time.

Last edited: