CRT Fetish Thread

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Anyone ever try to get their Wii to Display in RGB? IT's a nightmare.

Nintendo locked out NTSC consoles from doing it, so you actually have to force your wii into PAL mode through hacking in order to display any emulators right, otherwise all you get is a red screen.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Anyone ever try to get their Wii to Display in RGB? IT's a nightmare.

Nintendo locked out NTSC consoles from doing it, so you actually have to force your wii into PAL mode through hacking in order to display any emulators right, otherwise all you get is a red screen.

It doesn't do 240p "out of the box" via component? Or are you using SCART?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I picked one up this weekend.

Yet to tinker with it yet... sitting in my basement ATM.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
It doesn't do 240p "out of the box" via component? Or are you using SCART?

The emulators are suppose to use the original resolutions of their games through component, but I have a feeling that even if they do, the picture doesn't match. Comparing an emulator to the real thing just isn't the same picture wise. I thought Playing ristar on my wii through an emulator in component was amazing, and now that I've seen what RGB actually looks like I may have to order a flash card to play these games on the real thing.

Back to the question, I'm running my wii through RGB by using a euro scart cable with Broken's Euro Scart to BNC adapter. This allows me to run my wii in RGB, which gives the entire screen a dark red tint when playing in anything other than PAL50 or PAL 60.

You can get around this by using anyregionchanger on the homebrew channel to change it to PAL, but if your TV doesn't support PAL, then it would be impossible to navigate.

You can also run most retail gamecube & wii games in RGB by forcing them into PAL60 through usbloader GX, but that's a whole other problem.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason for Nintendo to have locked out RGB for NTSC consoles, yet here I am going through hoops just trying to get it to work.

Weird system to get to run RGB, but there you have it.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Does your PVM have BNCs or 25-pin for RGB? If it has BNCs, it prob does component, which means it should show the Wii in 240p. I'd think that Wii > component > PVM should look pretty nice, but then again, I haven't seen it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Does your PVM have BNCs or 25-pin for RGB? If it has BNCs, it prob does component, which means it should show the Wii in 240p. I'd think that Wii > component > PVM should look pretty nice, but then again, I haven't seen it.

It does look good.

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
You guys are so lucky.i have a sony pvm-2950Q but i can't make it
"Sync" i did alot of things but still.no luck
I'm about to shoot my self.LOL
I"ll keep trying a few more days.but if still the same
I think is going to the trash

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
You didnt adjust any pots inside it did you?

yes i did.i open the case move all the pot's but nothing,i think i have to ge a cable that has .8 din male to 5bnc and conbine horisontal & vertical sync using a t-connentor.i order it allready

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds like your cabling is the issue.

For most classic consoles, your bnc cable should have 4 BNC connectors (for video) with one being the composite sync which plugs into the BNC connector marked HD/Comp

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member

For most classic consoles, your bnc cable should have 4 BNC connectors (for video) with one being the composite sync which plugs into the BNC connector marked HD/Comp
i did that as well,i connectec RGB and the black cable to the one that said's HD/comp and all i get is a scramble picture
also like this RGB and black cable to the ext/sync ,and all i get is scramble picture

NOTE:even if the black cable is not connect it the picture is the same.scramble

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us

Combined sync in most cases if its an RGB cable, composite sync in the case of SCART connections.

NEO-GEO man

yes i did.i open the case move all the pot's but nothing,i think i have to ge a cable that has .8 din male to 5bnc and conbine horisontal & vertical sync using a t-connentor.i order it allready

Ok, with what service manual and what calibration equipment did you calibrate those pots? They are not to be adjusted willy nilly, they are meant to be calibrated correctly.

What youve possibly done by adjusting them is render the set inoperable as they are critcal for proper function, unless you used the method set out in the Sony factory service manual.

I hope you did it right and not just see what would happen if you turned them...

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
i mark them before i move them,but when i saw no difference i put them back how they were in the first place with the markings.
ok some people are telling me to combine horizontal sync & vertical sync,for example i could use a t-connector to combine the 2 together. that's not a problem. but this is pin out i have
e7ec522e9da6a7993f1b09c995e20ae3.jpg

i know pin#8 is sync,but from where do i get the other sync. what pin # when all are taken
i open the 8din connector & the only pin that has nothing connected is pin#4 =+5v

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Combined sync in most cases if its an RGB cable, composite sync in the case of SCART connections.

??

We are still talking composite sync here regardless if its a Scart connection or just plain RGB cable via some other cabling method. There is no separate H+V in use here.

i mark them before i move them,but when i saw no difference i put them back how they were in the first place with the markings.
ok some people are telling me to combine horizontal sync & vertical sync,for example i could use a t-connector to combine the 2 together. that's not a problem. but this is pin out i have
e7ec522e9da6a7993f1b09c995e20ae3.jpg

i know pin#8 is sync,but from where do i get the other sync. what pin # when all are taken
i open the 8din connector & the only pin that has nothing connected is pin#4 =+5v

What other sync are you talking about?

That pinout appears to be a Sigma supergun pinout. They only output composite sync; not separate Horizontal and Vertical sync.

You mentioned earlier that your cable has 5 BNC connectors on it. What does each go to?

Should be Red, Green, Blue and Sync. Ground is attached to the outer portion of each bnc connector.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Composite sync is NOT the same as combined sync. I didnt say HV, i said combined. HV sync is separate sync. Composite sync is different to both.

Marking and adjusting pots in a display device does not mean you know what youre doing. It also doesnt mean you didnt damage other components because you just adjusted your set out of specification.

There is one correct way to adjust pots inside a display device, and that is follow the genuine factory service manual. Im sure there is plenty of people here that think they know better than the manufacture when it comes to adjusting and calibrating sets. The manufacture engineered the set, id be quietly confident they know everything about it and it is to be adjusted ;)

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Composite sync is NOT the same as combined sync. I didnt say HV, i said combined. HV sync is separate sync. Composite sync is different to both.

yes, I know the difference. Combined sync has a 5V (TTL) level with high impedance.

Again, not relevant as we are not talking about projectors or whatever else happens to use combined sync.

And most certainly not relevant to usage with a Sony PVM monitor and game consoles. All classic game systems that happen to have RGB output have composite sync and/or composite video.

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The cable i'm using has only 4 cables, it has "RGB& composite sync"
The composite sync cable is connected to the HD/com, but is not working,i have picture but is not stable,colors look good but picture is half good & half scramble

When i mention a cable that has "5bnc" is because other people said to try combine horizontal & vertical sync but i don't see it happening cause the vega jr. Pin out only has RGB & composite sync

So that means i don't have a cable that has 5bnc at the moment

Last edited:

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
'combined' sync = composite sync = CSYNC
you might be confused with composite video
SCART carries composite video only, no csync
Don't try to feed your pvm composite video as csync
Euro tv's use composite video out of the SCART connector to derive CSYNC when using RGB, PVM's don't do this
This is why consoles like the ps1/2 don't have csync on their a/v connector, only cvideo.
If you need to derive CSYNC from Cvideo, you need to build an LM1881 circuit.

I've had too much coffee, leading to crazy capitalization...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Can someone quickly tell me the depth in inches that the Sony PVM 2530 is? I'm picking one up today and want to make sure it fits in the car, thanks!

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
Can someone quickly tell me the depth in inches that the Sony PVM 2530 is? I'm picking one up today and want to make sure it fits in the car, thanks!

Here is your answer:
Dimensions: H- 20" x W- 25 3/4" x D- 19 3/8"
Weight: 116 lb

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
'combined' sync = composite sync = CSYNC
you might be confused with composite video
SCART carries composite video only, no csync
Don't try to feed your pvm composite video as csync
Euro tv's use composite video out of the SCART connector to derive CSYNC when using RGB, PVM's don't do this
This is why consoles like the ps1/2 don't have csync on their a/v connector, only cvideo.
If you need to derive CSYNC from Cvideo, you need to build an LM1881 circuit.

I've had too much coffee, leading to crazy capitalization...

PVMs can use a straight composite video signal as a sync signal. At least both of my PVMs will. An LM1881 circuit is needed if you're using a Commodore 1084 (and I'm sure some other RGB monitors), which can not accept composite video as a sync source.

That being said, arcade game, your problem absolutely sounds like a lack of proper sync signal.

Chris

NEO-GEO man

yes, I know the difference. Combined sync has a 5V (TTL) level with high impedance.

Again, not relevant as we are not talking about projectors or whatever else happens to use combined sync.

And most certainly not relevant to usage with a Sony PVM monitor and game consoles. All classic game systems that happen to have RGB output have composite sync and/or composite video.

Its nothing to do with projectors. Its display devices in general. Direct view monitors process the video signal exactly the same way as projection CRTs, so bringing up that is a mute point.