CRT Fetish Thread

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Yes I did the mod myself however I am currently only offering services to people that have been around on this site for a bit, so pretty much only the Neo-Geo.com regulars. I am actually about to do this mod to an original famicom

That's ironic, I have a lurker account that far predates 2012 on here somewhere so I'm going to assume you mean active members.

What board do you use for the mod?

I believe there's two methods, one with the NES ppu and one with an updated color palette. http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

$200 is really steep for an NESRGB install (even including the board), I've done them for $35 on a couple of AV Famicoms. I think Jason over at Game-Tech.us does them for a similar price as well.

That's what I was thinking, I'll try to look into him and see if he's still taking orders. I know I've come across a thread in the past with that info. I just got done with the snes jr. mod so I may just try to free some time and do it myself.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I've seen installs with the viletim board and adapter for $125ish. For $200 you had better get a multi out that looks factory...
I think he does include the multi-out port.

I honestly don't know what the price of an RGB mod should run these days, I'm just passing the info along. I think he charges so much because he said it's a pain in the ass to do. I don't have any soldering skills myself so I don't know if that's true or onot.

If someone would do it for $35 + the price of the board (I think those run $90 don't they?) then I'd be all over it.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah there is no way I am doing a front loader install for $35, even an AV Famicom would be pushing it as I spend the extra time doing the dupont connector crap and making it look ultra professional. I charged $65 for my last AV Famicom install and that included connecting the new mono circuit with expanded audio and wiring the palette switch (which is a pain in that console). After I order the ports, cable, scart connector, and din connectors for a front loader that would be about $15 - $20 profit for 3-4 hours of work. I don't use the included ports in the kit because gluing ports to a game system is a terrible way to do that install. There no way I would do that level of mod work for someone for that little unless it was a personal favor to a friend. It would also be a wash if I was out of packing materials and had to go buy them as I wrap the fuck out of everything I ship back to people in tons of bubble wrap. None of the local stores sell that for cheap unless you buy it in unneeded obscene amounts.

I think the last time I charged someone for an install I charged them a little less because I actually had all the parts on hand (which is rare). I charged them $95 for the RGB kit install, parts, connecting the kit's mono circuit, modding their system and converter for expanded audio, and building them a scart cable (I use 8 pin din ports). By parts I mean video ports and switches as Tim had not included the ON-ON-ON switch yet. The normal price for an install is actually about what Jason charges and he breaks it down into options like I do (to give cheaper installs if certain things are not needed). His prices are here. He charges about $110 for all that minus the cable. This is with the din port and not the SNES AV port option, that costs more even with him.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah I looked at his page with all the options. I need to do some research into this as I don't know if a palette switch is worth the cost or what some of those audio options are for (my system is already modded for the expansion port sound). I need to figure out what I need and what I don't I guess.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
finally got my custom cable to get a scart input to work with rgb db9 port on this NOS Neo Geo Wells Gardener Test Monitor. this thing is gorgous! Going to use it as my Tate setup for my supergun.
2ec520e59ad90fa4660c9d78f5d2e866.jpg
Sadly this monitor only works with my supergun, I tried other consoles on it and the picture is all wonky and it rotates rapidly vertically. Shame I really wanted this to also be my RGB setup for my Analogue Interactive CMVS. this same wonky picture happens when I try to hook up my supergun to my HDCRT. What does this mean? that its 15khz only and so is my supergun and my HDCRT can't handle 15khz?
198157ab71a504e4fe09896e04687d37.jpg

I need to hit up goodwill for a good sturdy oldschool TV stand, I don't trust the particle board crap they make for todays flat screens. Also need a good pair of speakers with volume knob on it, anyone reccomend anything?

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
What do y'all think about PVM-20M2E. This is the first PVM in area in 2 years.
Europeans care about PVMs? I thought you guys had RGB on everything. :P

Anyway, yeah, that's a good one. It looks like the European equivalent of the PVM-20M2U .

Last edited:

zanardi

n00b
We have RGB on everything since 1985. I own 2 mid-level SDTVs from 2005, but I don't know how much better is an PVM or BVM.
Or maybe I should look for a SONY Trinitron, how this compare?

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I seriously don't know component video except for the crappy N64 in Germany. Every console before or after was RGB, either on 1084s, B&O something mx or PVM.

I have the chance to potentially purchase two different BVM's but I'm torn as to which one.

The first is a BVM-20F1U that was made in 2001, but has unknown hours. Physically it's in very good condition, but it doesn't come with the Control Unit. The price is around 400 but the owner is taking offers. The bonus is that it's local and I can go check it out in person.

The second is a SONY BVM-20E1U that supposedly touts 1000 lines. It has been professionally calibrated and adjusted by a retired Sony technician. It's in OK condition and has 74,949 hour on the chassis. The CRT was replaced at 43,125 hours. It has about 9 hours since full service. It would have to be shipped and the price after everything is around 500 dollars.

I've asked around before but thought I would ask here and see what others might suggest.

I'm leaning more towards the BVM locally, but other BVM sounds good too. ;)

phonedork

n00b
Great video and even nicer setup! I just need to know what cables to get for my XM29 so I can use this dam thing hahaha

Thanks again for that rarity Roger ;)

I actually show you how to hook it up in the video. The cheapest route is to just get this....

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

Hook this up to the RGB 2 side with BNC. Make sure you are hooked into horizontal sync. Make sure your dipstick settings are the same as mine. I set my RGB to high resistance. You will see this next to the RGB input. You can set it too 75 ohms if you want the picture to have darker scan lines . Either way it should work. To use the Sub D15 Port in RGB1 you can use a sync strike with a sud d15 cable. I prefer the sync strike because I can use external DC power instead of using the 5 Vdc on pin 8 of the scart. Especially since my Atari Jaguar uses unregulated DC voltage on PIN 8. I don't want to mess anything up. But just go with the first option I said to get it working then attempt the Sub D15 port later. I hear its easy to make a sync stripper. I don't have the skills though.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
The latest addition to my PVM/Console family...

20140324_102246-1.jpg
20140324_102541_4.jpg

My ROMz whore'n in all its glory! 161-in-1 cart Omega, chipped/Action Replay Saturn, Super Everdrive SNES and Mega Everdrive 32x/Genesis/Sega CD combo.

20140324_102401-1.jpg

I've totally run out of room on this cart. I had to banish the Dreamcast to the LCD (its ok because it outputs 480p) as it is.

20140324_102208-1.jpg

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Just recently I found myself cranking up the R\G\B gain on my 19" PVM. I like when the colors are saturated. It reminds me more of an arcade monitor, which I feel looks better for 2D games.

Anyone reading this, don't be afraid to crank that gain up!

x240-pRU.jpg

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Just recently I found myself cranking up the R\G\B gain on my 19" PVM. I like when the colors are saturated. It reminds me more of an arcade monitor, which I feel looks better for 2D games.

Anyone reading this, don't be afraid to crank that gain up!

x240-pRU.jpg

Cranking up the RGB gains by a lot might look cool to some but this will wear out the CRT faster. I strongly recommend against it if you are looking to keep it in tip top shape for a good long time.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Cranking up the RGB gains by a lot might look cool to some but this will wear out the CRT faster. I strongly recommend against it if you are looking to keep it in tip top shape for a good long time.

I have no plans of being buried with my $50 PVM. Gain all the way for me. :)

IMG_1182.jpg

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I just discovered that some (mostly NES) Virtual Console games can output 240p. I guess this is old news, but check out this shot taken from my 14L5+Wii+component cable.

20140325_182630.jpg

It looks really good, I can say just how good when compared with a real RGB modded NES because I don't have one.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
The Wii can output 240p for most VC titles prior to N64. Until the NESRGB came out, the Wii was the most practical way to play NES games with their original color palette on something better than composite. The homebrew emulators for Wii can also output games in their native 240p resolutions.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
The Wii can output 240p for most VC titles prior to N64.

This was also my first time using component cables to display 240p on 14L5 btw.
I wasn't aware that you could do anything < 480i via this input... If you recall, I was talking about interlacing in a earlier post and you corrected me.

The Omega is connected via component cable right now as well. I did order a lm1881 last week, once I can get (stripped) Csync from the mini din (not Cvideo) I'll switch to over RGBs.
Something about the color levels and brightness balance just look better in RGBs to me. If this all goes according to plan I'll post some comparison shots.

Omega > component cable > bnc adapter > PVM, 16mp Nikon Coolpix
DSCN0033.png

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
Is RGB/START capable of displaying 240p?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
This...

Was the result when I attempted to use the (Omega official) EURO SCART cable directly to BNC (aka no Cvideo->Csync filter).

As you can see in the video, any large white flash (NG BIOS/Metal Slug opening) to the PVM and it starts to shut down/sync out.