CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds like you need to have him film how this behaves and upload it to youtube.

I would be interested in seeing this in action. Without more details and/or pictures or video, it's really hard to say WTF is going on.

Cause it just doesn't make sense.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have a question about RGB and Component. Can anyone recommend me a good solid SCART to Component converter? I want to use those SCART selector boxes on one end and component on the other. I heard of the CSY-2100 RGB Scart to Component converter but am not sure. I will be using my 32" CRT for this and not my LED television.

GAMEFAN

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I can't vouch for the product but it looks like it should do the trick nicely for a CRT display. If you were going to use a HDTV I'd say just get an XRGB mini.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a question about RGB and Component. Can anyone recommend me a good solid SCART to Component converter? I want to use those SCART selector boxes on one end and component on the other. I heard of the CSY-2100 RGB Scart to Component converter but am not sure. I will be using my 32" CRT for this and not my LED television.

GAMEFAN

Why not just use the money for a nice PVM in your area and go full RGB?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

The only problem with the PVM search is that if you do manage to find one for a decent price there is a good chance it will be worn out. It took me four tries to get a working RGB monitor and even that died just recently. I ordered ANOTHER PVM just to have around for testing purposes (I have an XRGB now) and am waiting on that to get here. Id say go with the XRGB however not only is the unit itself expensive but it needs a fairly good HDTV with little input lag and a low response time. The cheap HDTV's tend to have high input lag (even in game mode) and poor digital noise reduction which just makes the xrgb experience aweful. Even though RGB is way better than component the CSY2100 clones are pretty cheap and way better than s-video or composite. Its a good starting point if you can not find a cheap rgb monitor or afford the XRGB Mini + decent HDTV.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Cruising c-list the other night and found a great sharp 32" CRT I was going to pick up. Got ready to go get it and the guy calls me saying he sold it out from under me but had a 26" that he would give me for free! Seeing as it had component input I figured I would give it a shot. Got it home and hooked up the neo and it showed up, but had a i guess "rolling" image. Friend told me it could be a sync issue and said maybe a sync stripper or cleaner might help but he didnt know for sure. Anyone have a idea? Will post a youtube video later tonight after work but wanted to ask while im putting up pictures of the beast!

2050-Z

New Challenger
I picked up a rolling electrosurgical cart for my dream industrial/medical retrogaming PVM battlestation. Keep it in the closet to clean up the living room; roll it out for CRT RGB gaming. I love the casters and the integrated cord wrap on back.

My 14" PVM fits perfectly between the bars on top. Likely designed for a similar ECU unit.

I'll be removing the top slanted shelf, and installing a flat shelf instead. Permanent SCART and power leads to the main shelf, where I can easily plug in my current "active" console. Second shelf will be for storing other consoles, unhooked, in reserve.

One other still available near Seattle if anyone's interested:
http://www.nwsmedical.com/product/110201-2344-19

H275B4v.png

WbmKsAW.png

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
medical equipment (especially if old) gives me the creeps somehow... still a nice purchase I guess. Space seems pretty limited if it is to carry all your consoles though.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

I have been on the hunt for a PVM and will get one when it pops up. Right now I want to use the component output that I have on my CRT. Just wondering which converter does a good Job for not too much money.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Yet again I spoke too soon. Once I tweaked the settings on my 1954Q I got a really amazing picture. I'm running a fairly elaborate emulation setup. This includes using an ATI Radeon x600 video card with some special drivers. This allows me to access 224P, 240P, etc. resolutions. I'm strictly using software rendering for video to give a much, much more accurate representation, over DirectX. DirectX causes dithering and other funky filters which hinder those beautiful pixels. I'll tell you this much, Genesis and NES look friggin' incredible over RGB. I know NES didn't EXACTLY have RGB, but some models did. You gotta see it to believe it.

NES Photo. Took this one at night, so I was able to get a much clearer photo.

zelda2.png

Second photo is Genesis. Photo taken during the day, excuse the glare. I couldn't seem to get a very clear shot of this. Does look excellent in person.

sor2.png

Some more tweaking needs to happen, but the results so far are great. I came across two more PVMs in 27" sizes. They come with custom travel cases too. I think I'll be picking one up... :drool_2:

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The Genesis does have an incredible RGB output. Especially with a CRT monitor.

Are you using composite video or composite sync from the Genny to the PVM for your sync signal?

Cause I find I get the best picture from the Genesis on my PVM using composite sync. Using composite video as sync you get some very faint jail bars in the picture. Most noticeable in red.

Unless those screenshots above are from emulation. Ignore this then. :lolz:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Those screenshots are indeed emulation :P. Until recently, that was the only way to see the real NES color palette on RGB.
Within a month, I hope to grace this thread with real NES RGB goodness. I've got a NESRGB kit on the way. Really looking forward to having a RGB NES with the real color palette and without sacrificing a Playchoice 10 arcade board :D.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Those screenshots are indeed emulation :P. Until recently, that was the only way to see the real NES color palette on RGB.
Within a month, I hope to grace this thread with real NES RGB goodness. I've got a NESRGB kit on the way. Really looking forward to having a RGB NES with the real color palette and without sacrificing a Playchoice 10 arcade board :D.

Dude, that's killer! I saw that a second batch was available. I'll be awaiting those NESRGB photos. The clarity and color separation is immaculate, at least on my end. I'm in between right now if I wanna pull the trigger on real hardware. This is just for kicks to see how accurate of emulation I can achieve with my PVM setup. So far so good. I'll attach a few more pics tonight

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
So I finally got around to uploading a video of what my new is doing on my new CRT and was wondering if someone could school me on it?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
PVM's have been a few in between here in OR (skinny will attest to that). I scored, at least, a Sony Wega a while ago. Finally got to test my CMVS through component on that and it's just superb. I mainly scooped up a CRT because I wanted to go back into playing Beatmania (LCD Lag sucks!), but with the idea Skips gave (using a SCART to Component converter), I may have to RGB mod all my consoles now.

I'm planning to modify the converter with my own connector (not sure of what connector, but probably a mini DIN one) and just tap RGBS to the SCART input. My question is: Is the 5V to the SCART connector necessary on these SCART to Component converters?

Basically going off of Tim's cable diagrams: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Thanks for reminding me of the RGBNES Kit second run. Just ordered mine today (order number is in the early 200s BTW). Anybody know a good site to buy a nice and reasonably priced S-video jack? For now I am using S-video and will get an RGB component convertor later this month.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm planning to modify the converter with my own connector (not sure of what connector, but probably a mini DIN one) and just tap RGBS to the SCART input. My question is: Is the 5V to the SCART connector necessary on these SCART to Component converters?

Basically going off of Tim's cable diagrams: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

No.

I don't even believe the trace from pin 8 even goes anywhere inside the unit.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone know for sure whether a 2950QM will work properly with of broken's basic SCART cables? Or will it need a sync stripper (like the retrogaming cable)?
Would a VGA breakout board (with a 1881 chip) be better than the retrogaming cable?
There seems to be conliflicting information on ng.com on whether or not the sync on the 2950Q/QM works OK without a 1881 chip.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
It needs a sync cleaner, for sure.

I've tried all my consoles without it with no success. This should be written on stone: the sony pvm 2950q needs a sync cleaner.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks for reminding me of the RGBNES Kit second run. Just ordered mine today (order number is in the early 200s BTW). Anybody know a good site to buy a nice and reasonably priced S-video jack? For now I am using S-video and will get an RGB component convertor later this month.

I think the kit already includes the s-video jack, audio jack, and 8 pin mini din (for RGB and composite).

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

If the kit doesn't come with one as mentioned, you could always go with this

http://console5.com/store/parts/av-jacks/s-video-jack-gold.html

But I've found standard panel mount S-Video (4 pin mini-DIN) at Fry's. The have them sparingly, so when I see them there, I pick up a bunch of them for $.60 each.

No.

I don't even believe the trace from pin 8 even goes anywhere inside the unit.

Thanks, broken.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If the kit doesn't come with one as mentioned, you could always go with this

http://console5.com/store/parts/av-jacks/s-video-jack-gold.html

But I've found standard panel mount S-Video (4 pin mini-DIN) at Fry's. The have them sparingly, so when I see them there, I pick up a bunch of them for $.60 each.
I use the Console5 ones and they're great. Sometimes they tend to go crooked as you tighten them though. They're still better than the jacks included with the NESRGB since the ones Tim provides require you to hot glue or epoxy them to the case.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
since the ones Tim provides require you to hot glue or epoxy them to the case.

My god...the Drakonian disease has rubbed off on Tim!

Next thing you know he will include a stick of hot glue in the package...

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I just can't get enough of this PVM. Fetish Bump.

Dai Makai Mura - PC Engine version - 336x240p - Ootake

pcengine.jpg

Dai Makai Mura - Arcade version - 384x224p - GroovyMAME

IMG_0581.JPG

Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo - PC Engine - 256x224p - Ootake

IMG_0573.JPG