CRT Fetish Thread

2050-Z

New Challenger
Alright, who's going to pick this up? Rolling PVM retrogaming battlestation:

I signed up here about a month ago to post the PVM pickup I made back in October. Went to a Medical Supply "graveyard"/warehouse and they had quite a few of those stands/PVMs. Now that you posted that it would look kind of cool for a pseudo-arcade stand lol.

Picked up a 20L5M and a 1953MD for 70 a piece. Ill dig out the pics i took of the warehouse, it was surreal as hell, it was so creepy and i just wandered around for about an hour looking at all the crazy old hostpital equipment.

I'd like to see the pics! I'm really looking for a rolling cart for my PVM. Smaller than the one I posted above. Hopefully something industrial/medical that fits the PVM and a couple systems really well.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
morning , i could buy my first sony pvm , a guy nearby sells his
Sony PVM - 20L2MD , would this be a good one for starters

greeting chris

Last edited:

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
i guess its a bit expensive it goes for 100 euros , but its the only one nearby all the other ones would need shipping and that would cost the same or more

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
It's a nice model. I'd probably be willing to pay the 100 euros for it if it's in good shape and calibrated correctly.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
A few pics of a Mega Drive via RGB on the SONY KV-21CL1K I mentioned earlier in this thread (BX1 chassis):

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

A few comments from my side, comparing also to the Sony BVM-14M4DE RGB monitor I also have:
+ really bright and vibrant, almost neon-like colours - makes these old games look amazing
+ very user friendly - apart from the usual volume and brightness etc. being adjustable from the remote, one can also adjust RGB horizontal picture shift as well as all of the geometry settings (via a service menu), no need for BNC cables etc.
+ excellent value - at least in the EU these sets can be had for next to nothing
- geometry is very good, but is better on BVM (that said its only visible when bringing up a cross hatch test pattern)
- BVM display is sharper, pixels are more profound

The bottom line from my perspective is that if you live in a part of the world where RGB TVs are cheap and plentiful then there is not really much point bothering with the hassle associated with getting a pro-monitor. In theory the image may be sharper and geometry marginally better but in real life you are more likely to find a TV thats in better condition than a pro monitor, and the TV others SCART connector, speakers, remote etc. Also it is cool that geometry and screen position are fully adjustable from the remote via on screen display - I can also adjust these on screen on my BVM but certain PVM's require one to unscrew the backand fiddle with some pots which I guess is a bit of a pain. THe other no brainer is that TV's offer on average larger screen sizes - 14" on the BVM is just a bit too small... 21-25" is about right IMO and its a lot easier to find a TV that size.

A few more pics:

- grid pattern from the 240p test suite - almost perfect but could do with a little fine tweeking in the corners:

5.jpg

- horizontal centering of RGB picture is available from the standard menu - handy

6.jpg

- root of service menu:

7.jpg

- geometry sub menu (scrolls down to include more items)

8.jpg

2050-Z

New Challenger
SONY KV-21CL1K, eh? Is this an RGB monitor?

Released in USA? Was it a studio/hospital monitor like the PVM and BVM, or more consumer?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
SONY KV-21CL1K, eh? Is this an RGB monitor?

Released in USA? Was it a studio/hospital monitor like the PVM and BVM, or more consumer?

Its just a standard Euro spec consumer TV, supporting RGB via one of the Scart connectors:
rgbo.jpg

To be honest, I noticed that even a lot of the no name CRT TV's seem to offer a great picture when connected through RGB Scart although its really hit and miss - some have really dodgy geometry, which might be passable for low-res TV viewing but in a video game environment you get e.g. horizontal lines which are not straight or some warping effects near the screen edges etc.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Yep, even the weakest CRT here in Europe had a decent picture via Scart-RGB BUT, every gamers choice was a Sony because they were even much more better. Poor rest of the world connecting their Mega Drive via CVBS. All my game consoles since the Master System were modded by me to run in RGB:)

The real revelation I had was when I saw a PVM running my Mega Drive, perfect geometry, colors and the chassis is so sexy it screamed Tate even if this was not a thing those times until the first Tate game ever, the Raiden 1+2 compilation on PS1. Now we have Input Lag LCDs, pathetic.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Yep, even the weakest CRT here in Europe had a decent picture via Scart-RGB BUT, every gamers choice was a Sony because they were even much more better. Poor rest of the world connecting their Mega Drive via CVBS. All my game consoles since the Master System were modded by me to run in RGB:)

The real revelation I had was when I saw a PVM running my Mega Drive, perfect geometry, colors and the chassis is so sexy it screamed Tate even if this was not a thing those times until the first Tate game ever, the Raiden 1+2 compilation on PS1. Now we have Input Lag LCDs, pathetic.

I am wondering about the quality European brands - Grundig, Loewe, B&O - how do these compare to Sony? I have heard some favourable opinions, wondering how easy it is to access service menus etc. since this is very important for proper setup - on the Sony's there is a lot of documentation / infor available on the net, not sure what the deal is with the above mentioend brands.

Beelay

New Challenger
I recently picked up a PC to run DOS/Win95 games on, an IBM Aptiva.
I currently don't have a functioning CRT monitor, but I do have a 14" PVM kicking around.
Would getting a Female VGA - Male BNC cable allow me to display my PC on this?
Do you think this would look much worse than if I used a monitor with progressive scan?

Edit: would I need a converter or just the cable?

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I am wondering about the quality European brands - Grundig, Loewe, B&O - how do these compare to Sony? I have heard some favourable opinions, wondering how easy it is to access service menus etc. since this is very important for proper setup - on the Sony's there is a lot of documentation / infor available on the net, not sure what the deal is with the above mentioend brands.

The Loewe's are very nice. Before I bought mine I'd compared it to the best Sonys available for sale. And while the Sonys were awesome, the Loewe was a little bit better.

And it wasn't hard for me to find the info on getting into the service menu. Once properly tweaked my Loewe Aventos is stunning.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I recently picked up a PC to run DOS/Win95 games on, an IBM Aptiva.
I currently don't have a functioning CRT monitor, but I do have a 14" PVM kicking around.
Would getting a Female VGA - Male BNC cable allow me to display my PC on this?
Do you think this would look much worse than if I used a monitor with progressive scan?

Edit: would I need a converter or just the cable?

You won't be able to use an IBM with a PVM without downscaling to 240p (unless your 14" is a 14L5 in which case a BNC breakout would work).

Just snag an old VGA monitor, they're a dime a dozen nowadays.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
So I found a very nice condition PVM 14N6U for $75. Are they any good?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got one!

(disclaimer: Wavy lines are a result of my poor photography skills and not the monitor)

PVM 1351Q

I don't have SCART-to-BNC yet, so this is just using S-video. I don't see myself gaming primarily on a 13" TV, but I am very curious to compare the quality to my 27" Trinitron w/ component. Should be good for parties as a second display and for vertical shumps. :)

The TV was very clean and appears to be in great condition. $25 and I only had to drive 15 minutes. Best deal I've seen on craigslist so far.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
$25 isn't bad at all, I bet 13" looks crisp as hell up close, I know when I look down it does....ahh forgot you're a dude for a second.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have two PVM-1354Qs which are very similar to the PVM-1351Q, they are indeed very sharp. I have my setup on my desk so the small size doesn't bother me at all. $25 is pretty good for one of those, I paid $47 for both of mine so that comes out to $23.50 each.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I use a PVM-1344Q on my desk.

I agree, the 13 incher is a good size for desk duty.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
The resolution is 600 lines in the 1344Q and only 450 lines in the 1341Q which is a bit of a bummer, I guess. Need those BNC cables before I can really tell though.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Real world not too much of a noticeable difference between them. At least not enough to be concerned about.

Still beats the hell out of regular consumer tvs including Sony's home stuff.

i love my 20 inch trinitron, was made 10 years ago, beautiful picture with component. the bigger trinitrons pictures arent that great compared to the smaller screens... i think 20 is perfect size.