CRT Fetish Thread

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Sounds like something Horizontal Width/Size & position would adjust.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Sounds like something Horizontal Width/Size & position would adjust.

Well I suppose you can do that, but wouldn't that mess up the aspect ratio? I made it fit on my PVM monitor, but anything else I want to display loses a lot of screen space because of it. I was just curious if it's just that the Neo Geo has a wide horizontal resolution or if it's something with the way my Consolized MVS setup is configured. I can't believe that the AES would do this or people would who plunked down almost a $1000 would complain that they lost an inch on each side of their screens. :)

EDIT: Interesting, it says the Neo Geo has a resolution of 320x224 which is the same as the Genesis. On my TV my Genesis is not chopped off on the sides (if anything it's a bit underscanned). Why does the Neo Geo do this? It can't just be my unit as almost every screenshot I see of people using a consolized MVS unit has the same issue. Hmm... I wonder if my RGB board needs to be adjusted or something?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's CRT overscan and it's just something we dealt with, on a consumer set you couldn't (easily) adjust it and we were used to it. Although the Genesis and Neo were the same resolution most Genesis games do not use anywhere close to the full screen size, if you had no overscan you'd be seeing solid borders around a lot of the games. Neo tended to use up most of the screen real estate, probably because arcade cabs usually had adjustments the ops could make. Not being able to see the credits at the bottom or having a life bar run off the sides of the screen was pretty normal when playing at home back then.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah you're right. I've been doing some research today (instead of working like I should be) and found this site: neogeo-megashock.blogspot.com/p/neo-geo-resolution.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So basically some games use the full 320 horizontal resolution but most only go to 304. Some even have crap going on in the area beyond 304 which looks terrible. I think I'll be just fine with a few games being cut off, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I had adjusted wrong.

Oddly enough many of the SNES games I was testing did use the fully overscan area. I guess I just picked some bad ones for testing. :)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Personally when I adjusted my TV I used the CPS2 cross hatch for the main adjustment (a good middle ground between the various systems) then popped in Sonic on Genesis and made some slight adjustments to get rid of the blue border. This basically means that most Genesis games are fullscreen with almost no overscan, while other systems run off the edges of the screen a bit, and for me is the best compromise between the various systems I play on it. I did make the mistake once of using the Genesis 240p test suite to adjust overscan on my PVM, that was a terrible idea.

kanvis

n00b
As a 3rd Strike Player, its annoying to play on anything other than a Good CRT/cabinet

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Did some tweaking and got the picture to a decent place I think. My only real complaint is that you can see the left side from the middle to the top seems to be bowing inward. Or maybe the lower left is just bowing outward? The right side seems pretty good so I don't know if I can fix the left side without screwing up the right side. Any ideas on if that can be fixed short of using strips and whatnot? The menu has a bunch of interesting adjusts like trapezoid, parabola, bow, angle and upper and lower corner, and tilt. I can't help but think some combo of those would help.

tv_13.jpg

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I was finally able to get the TV to where my other systems are and do some testing with something other than the SNES and Genesis. The results are... mixed.

This is from my NES Power Mappers menu. You can see some weird bowing but it's not nearly so bad on anything else. Weird
tv_14.jpg

SMB 3 looks good but it's got that gap on the left side that you can't really do anything about unless you severely overscan things. You can see the bowing in the lower left though with the black on teal.
tv_15.jpg

Regular old SMB looks good too. Only a slight gap on the left.
tv_17.jpg

Here's a shot of Devils Crush on my TurboDuo. Notice how the top score bar is bowing on the sides? You can also see the blurring in the lower right and left corners which is something this model of TV is known for. Oh well...
tv_18.jpg

It looks like I still have some bowing issues and that I can't rely solely on that SNES grid pattern. Any tips on some games I can use to further adjust the geometry?

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'm just curious if I can get it better than it is. To be honest I like adjusting and trying to make the picture better, it's kind of addicting. I was just wondering if there's an obvious adjust I'm missing. Too bad there's no adjustment for vertical bowing.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm just curious if I can get it better than it is. To be honest I like adjusting and trying to make the picture better, it's kind of addicting. I was just wondering if there's an obvious adjust I'm missing. Too bad there's no adjustment for vertical bowing.

When you can't adjust it any more via the service menu, or even the pots inside, and it's still off – there's a couple things you can look into: recapping it, messing with the convergence strips, the magnets some have glued to the tube, and even the yoke itself.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
One thing I've found odd is that I'll get the 240p suite grid looking good, but when I try a game like Link to the Past the menus all look wonky and distorted. I'll fix it so the menus look good but then the grid looks off. I'm more inclined to trust how an actual game looks over that grid, but it's kind of odd.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
If I wanted small monitor or tv for a msx setup what would be a good size for sitting a desk and playing close up like a pc. I dont wanna go to big to small. I just cant figure out if something like a 9" is way to small of it a 13" is way to big. Also is there any rgb scart to vga adaptors out there that dont cost a moronic price?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If I wanted small monitor or tv for a msx setup what would be a good size for sitting a desk and playing close up like a pc. I dont wanna go to big to small. I just cant figure out if something like a 9" is way to small of it a 13" is way to big. Also is there any rgb scart to vga adaptors out there that dont cost a moronic price?

I would think the 13 would be the sweet spot. Is there an 11 inch monitor?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Not that I can tell. I think the biggest issue is everything crt related has become insanely expensive also.

On PCs back in the 90s, I was on 17-19 inch monitors and I thought that was insane. The Commodore 1084 springs to mind of a nice monitor, but I'm no too keen on what the MSX outputs on video. The 1084 does have a sort s-vid input that you could use instead of composite. Plus the monitor takes audio as well, being mono of course.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
IMO anything smaller than a 13 is a compromise for space reasons. I've gamed a lot on the 13" Commodore monitor and it's a pretty good size if it's right in front of you but I wouldn't want to do anything smaller unless I was doing some portable rig that I could take to shows or something.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
IMO anything smaller than a 13 is a compromise for space reasons. I've gamed a lot on the 13" Commodore monitor and it's a pretty good size if it's right in front of you but I wouldn't want to do anything smaller unless I was doing some portable rig that I could take to shows or something.

I used 13" monitors for all my classic computer systems since they have keyboards so you're sitting close to the monitor anyway. Gaming on these is just fine, but as GohanX said, you really don't want to go any smaller.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Same as GohanX and Tempest - I've used 9" PVM units for shows or get-togethers swapping out rare boards on a supergun. I also used to use them in the shop for testing. It's sharp and useable, but I wouldn't want to use it for regular gameplay. I've also used 13" Commodore monitors for years, as long as you're relatively close (which you should be when using a C-64 or MSX), they're perfectly fine, nice even. The Commodore 1701/1702 will take s-video if you make a luma/croma Y adapter.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
One thing I was thinking about trying is the factory reset option in the service menu because I don't know who did what to this TV before I got it. Does anyone know if this would just reset the deflection menu's values or ALL the values for the entire TV? I really don't want to break this thing by resetting all the values to an unusable state.