CRT Fetish Thread

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I like that it would be perfect to play Super Game boy games on the SNES. The pixels all look super sharp too.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the image. I will give it a shot when I get home and throw some pics up :-J

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Really love that green monochromatic monitor. Perfect for og gameboy games!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Got this big boi Nec Xm 29.

LCkImpeh.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I used this cable to split the chroma and luma from s-video to be able to just use the luma signal on my monochrome monitor that I posted pics of earlier. The new cable makes it look so much clearer and sharper.

Screenshot_20190415-230543~2.png

Here is the one with just the luma signal (I had to turn the brightness down a bit to make the camera focus):

IMG_20190415_191430468.jpg

Here is the original pic (regular composite video signal with bad checkerboarding):

IMG_20190307_082607951.jpg

I'm interested to see the difference with the Super GameBoy as well.

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I was given a Samsung TX-S2783 slimfit this weekend that I plant to use with all my non-HD RGB systems. I know the slimfit models aren't known for their outstanding quality, but free is free and it looked alright when I tested it. The only issues I've seen so far is that the screen is slightly off center (a little left) and the right side of the screen has some bowing at the top and bottom (this may go away somewhat when I recenter the screen). Does anyone know if the service menu on this TV has adjusts that can fix the bowing a bit? I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I just picked an Olympus OEV 143 PVM Trinitron with a great picture. I’m still waiting on RGB hook-ups for my Genesis and Core Grafx so I am using the B line with S video for now. It has a single audio in and out jack, but I am not getting any sound. The manual doesn’t say anything other than a microphone. I am wondering if this model supports audio in from a game console. If so, could use some help. If not, is there an external speaker set-up I can use?

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I am not getting any sound.

That model is the same as the Sony PVM-14M2MDU. You should get sound. Make sure the green? remote light isn't on - that'll sometime mute the sound (can be turned off in the menu).

And yes, you can hook up something as simple as a pair of computer speakers, up to a stereo receiver if you wanted.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
PVM speakers leave a lot to be desired. I found an old Sony receiver at a thrift store and got a decent pair of bookshelf speakers for my setup. If you go this way though make sure you get shielded speakers if you want them next to your monitor. Mine aren’t and it was slightly messing with the geometry until I moved them.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok pictures as promised. I used my SNES because it was closest at hand. The Neo Geo is going to be pretty cut off I'd imagine so I'll continue using it with my PVM (hurray for underscan!).

Honestly, the pictures my camera took make the screen look pretty bad, but it doesn't look that way in person. It's like my camera really picked up on some odd pixelation in the dot mask or something,

Here you can see the test pattern and how the image is a bit off center and bows on the upper and lower right corners
tv_6.jpg

Picture of Castlevania X running. Looks pretty good but you can see the bowing in the lower right.
tv_3.jpg

Link to the Past running. This looks pretty nice because it doesn't go 100% to the edges so the bowing isn't noticeable.
tv_5.jpg

Here you can see the text in the lower right and left of the screen is a little blurry. No idea why or if it's fixable. I hear that's an issue with these slimfits because of the short backs on them. It's annoying but not unreadable (looks worse than it really is in this pic):
tv_2.jpg

I don't have my remote yet so I haven't tried the service menu. Does anyone know if these issues are fixable in the slimfit's service menu? Overall it's not a bad little TV, especially for free. One odd thing I noticed is that the image in the lower right corner where the bad bowing is will sort of fix itself if I move the cursor in my SD Cart menu down to the bottom (where the image starts to bow). It's kind of weird and makes me wonder if the bowing is due to something else going on with the tube.

UPDATE:

It appears that the bowing has something to do with the component input and the Shinybow I'm using to go from RGB to Component. If I hook my SNES up via S-Video the bowing mostly goes away:
tv_7.jpg

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
I was given a Samsung TX-S2783 slimfit this weekend that I plant to use with all my non-HD RGB systems. I know the slimfit models aren't known for their outstanding quality, but free is free and it looked alright when I tested it. The only issues I've seen so far is that the screen is slightly off center (a little left) and the right side of the screen has some bowing at the top and bottom (this may go away somewhat when I recenter the screen). Does anyone know if the service menu on this TV has adjusts that can fix the bowing a bit? I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Try Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power on the remote. You should be able to adjust the bowing a bit. Personally, I like these screens, probably because I like the slot mask they use. Something different than the standard, aperture grille, heavy scanline look of a Sony or whatever. I use one of those with my mame pc setup.

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Is there a guide for the service menu or is it fairly self explanatory? I sure hope I can fix that bowing because I like the look of the tv.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Is there a guide for the service menu or is it fairly self explanatory? I sure hope I can fix that bowing because I like the look of the tv.

There might be a guide but I am not aware of one. I had a fairly easy time figuring out what the basic geometry settings were in the service menu though. It is quite a bit more friendly to understand but perhaps more limited when compared to the typical Sony service menu. Overall, the geometry on your tv is better than mine was to begin with.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
That model is the same as the Sony PVM-14M2MDU. You should get sound. Make sure the green? remote light isn't on - that'll sometime mute the sound (can be turned off in the menu).

And yes, you can hook up something as simple as a pair of computer speakers, up to a stereo receiver if you wanted.

The sound is good now. The monitor was in preset mode which had the remote light on. The sound isn’t the greatest as mentioned. I’ll have to get a used receiver and speakers. Thanks

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The sound is good now. The monitor was in preset mode which had the remote light on. The sound isn’t the greatest as mentioned. I’ll have to get a used receiver and speakers. Thanks

No problem - glad you were able to fix it. If you have any other questions let me know, I've owned maybe 10 of these before (Sony and Olympus variants).

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Got my remote today and found the service menu. This one is actually pretty self explanatory, I'm shocked. Some other menus I've dealt with in the past were little more than numbers with some letter codes next to them.

That being said, I got my set adjusted alright. There are still a few things I want to fix but I can't quite figure out how to adjust them. For example, if you look at the grid again you can see that the upper left corner 'droops' and the sides sort of bow out the little on the left and right. Any idea what adjusts these?
tv_9.jpg

Here are some pictures from my Genesis running via RGB to component. You can see the droop in the upper left pretty well in Sonic. Bloodlines looks a little better.

tv_10.jpgtv_8.jpg

Here are two shots of the Neo Geo. As you can see the cross hatch test is way off on the sides but there's also a weird distortion in the vertical lines on the top row. Not sure what that indicates.
tv_11.jpg

Games still look good (minus the cut off sides). My camera doesn't do it justice.
tv_12.jpg

Last edited: