CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Lemme guess, that's exactly a third of the way down the screen?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
That is probably the aperature grill support. One minor downside of the technology in return for a brighter picture/sharper.

You're now manually thinking of it.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, you should see it at the bottom third of the screen as well. It should show really well on solid light colored screens of you don't have the brightness and contrast jacked up to the point of blooming.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Yes, every light in the neighborhood dims when I fire all of this up.

Fucking incredible setup! Does your Extron have the ability to stretch one video image across all 4 displays like an old video-wall in a MTV video?

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Fucking incredible setup! Does your Extron have the ability to stretch one video image across all 4 displays like an old video-wall in a MTV video?

It does not, but that is a longer term goal. Finding a video wall processor that doesn't need content generated from a PC, or that is fully digital has been a challenge. I spoke to an old-timer who used to deal with them recently and he gave me some brand names and model numbers to look at, just need to dig in and do some more research!

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thank you! I'm hoping to at least test it out in the next couple days. Also, your setup looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. And nice Kramer! :)

Thanks. And the Kramer is excellent. Had to replace the two largest caps in it, but it's been working fine since then. It's only used for converting S-Video to RGBS for the Gamecube (which the Wii can do just fine), and my N64 (which honestly, NOTHING can help the N64's graphics so S-Video is just fine for how much I play that console).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got an RGB modded system and honestly, some games look better in svideo to me, like Starfox.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Yes, really.

Seriously though, the N64, even graphics aside, the N64 carts couldn't even hold what? like a 10th of the data that a CD could (which the other super-popular systems of that time used). Now I absolutely LOVE some N64 games...but it's a really small amount; PS1 and Saturn on the other hand I love a TON more games. And they look better to my eyes, and I don't need a pricey mod on those systems either - just a standard RGB cable and I'm all set.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
NEC's multisync monitors are nice and versatile but not very good for 240P content, and the fans in them are far too loud. I have 2 and they sound like a fucking jet taking off.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
NEC's multisync monitors are nice and versatile but not very good for 240P content, and the fans in them are far too loud. I have 2 and they sound like a fucking jet taking off.

Buy some Noctua fans then.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Fans in the BKM-41HD card which most 20"+ D-series Sony BVM's come with is loud as hell too (AND it runs even when the monitor is off, but the master power switch in the back is still on which is annoying as shit). I pull mine out like 1/2" so it turns off (since I can do RGBS and YPbPr through the default non-removable card these also come with).

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Anyone in the Chicagoland area recap PVMs? Mine's been in storage for a year or 2 now & I'd like to get it back up & running (it got darker & darker to the point where it became unusable). If anyone in the chicagoland area would be willing to do a recap for me, please let me know. I can provide the caps, I just don't have the know how or the space to do the job.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug

What don't you like about their 240p performance? I think they look great! They're not as sharp as a 1000TVL BVM of course, but sharpness isn't everything.

4C2tEZIh.png

Buy some Noctua fans then.

I remember reading a post where someone tried replacing the fans, and they had a lot of trouble finding units with the same specs that wouldn't trigger a protection mode on the monitor. I have four that I often run together, and I really don't think they're that loud, but to each their own.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What don't you like about their 240p performance? I think they look great! They're not as sharp as a 1000TVL BVM of course, but sharpness isn't everything.

I remember reading a post where someone tried replacing the fans, and they had a lot of trouble finding units with the same specs that wouldn't trigger a protection mode on the monitor. I have four that I often run together, and I really don't think they're that loud, but to each their own.

Picture quality is subjective. I just prefer the look of Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic tubes.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I have a 27" Sony Wega still in the box in pristine condition. Used for maybe a month? Heaviest CRTs at the time I believe. I had to lift that fucker up four flights of stairs into my apartment in Uptown back in the day. Ah, memories......

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No CRT was heavier than my old Mitsubishi MegaView XC-3715C. Thing weighed in at 220lbs (100kg) and even two of us found that difficult going up a few flights to my apartment at the time. Never again.