Page 286 of 297 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,150 of 7401

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Stakes Winner

And now my recently acquired (single) XM29 feels completely inadequate. Thanks.

Timid Neo Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmjr View Post
    Hey! My Crosspoint does have audio via phoenix connector, but there are three reasons why I don't want to use it that way:
    1. I want to switch audio for non-rgb devices that are not going through the crosspoint as well (3DO, Laserdisc player etc.) So I'd need a second device to switch non-rgb audio anyways.
    The RGBHV Crosspoint can also be used to switch s-video and composite video inputs alongside RGB. Component video too. Though with 4 monitors to output to the crosspoint would need 12 outputs to switch between the three signals.
    Last edited by twoquickcapri; 08-22-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by noir View Post
    And now my recently acquired (single) XM29 feels completely inadequate. Thanks.
    1 is perfect! I'm just a weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by twoquickcapri View Post
    The RGBHV Crosspoint can also be used to switch s-video and composite video inputs alongside RGB. Component video too. Though with 4 monitors to output from the crosspoint would need 12 outputs to switch between the three signals.
    Yep. This was all considered when I mapped out my original plan. I'm all for complex (obviously) but that just wasn't going to be worth it. I have some options to convert s-video/composite to RGBs so it can be switched, but honestly I just need to get my N64 and NES RGB modded, I don't really use my Laserdisc player that much etc. So there's some tweaking to be done, but I have all the major bases covered.

Armored Scrum Object

Yep. This was all considered when I mapped out my original plan. I'm all for complex (obviously) but that just wasn't going to be worth it. I have some options to convert s-video/composite to RGBs so it can be switched, but honestly I just need to get my N64 and NES RGB modded, I don't really use my Laserdisc player that much etc. So there's some tweaking to be done, but I have all the major bases covered.
    I don't know if we're on the same page, but just like twoquickcapri said above, an Extron Crosspoint can switch ALL (KNOWN TO MAN) RETRO GAMING VIDEO SIGNALS - this includes Composite (CV), S-Video (YC), Component (YPbPr and all other flavors like RGsB - sync on green-, etc), RGBS, RGBHV (also known as VGA). Hell, I'm even messing around with switching HDMI through mine with HDMI to VGA adapters... With audio, the only thing it fails at is optical sound/TOSLink (which I don't personally use on these older systems) - but anything which normally uses a Left (white) and Right (Red) RCA cable for sound can be run through a Crosspoint HVA model.

This means every single 'retro' console you have, even your 3DO and Laserdisc player (and VHS, S-VHS, Betamax, DVD, etc. etc. etc.) can be switched through your Extron Crosspoint – so to be blunt, it's kinda stupid to have other (multiple?) switchers daisy chained just for audio and making things more complicated then they have to be. Making Phoenix adapters literally takes a wire stripper to strip the wires, twist them together, then shove them into the phoenix connectors (which are screw-down - don't even need to be soldered)....OR, for less than $4/each they make the PCB (phoenix to RCA) connectors now which are super cheap.
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 08-22-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Neo-Geo.com's
    Top Rated Bully.
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    Hey man we all have our vices, mixing up the toploaders is mine while yours is not being able to wait 2ish minutes to flash a game when people are over.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    And this is why I don't post here more often. Some truly terrible posts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSegaDude View Post
    There's a reason why I don't post much here...

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    so to be blunt, it's kinda stupid to have other (multiple?) switchers daisy chained just for audio and making things more complicated then they have to be. Making Phoenix adapters literally takes a wire stripper to strip the wires, twist them together, then shove them into the phoenix connectors (which are screw-down - don't even need to be soldered)....OR, for less than $4/each they make the PCB (phoenix to RCA) connectors now which are super cheap.
    I appreciate your bluntness I'm aware of all of the capabilities of the Crosspoint, and did my research before I bought one. I would agree with you if every single one of my devices was going into my monitor's RGB2 input, that would streamline things.

So here's the thing, I have 4 monitors meaning I will need 4 outputs from the Crosspoint for each signal type. So to do what you're proposing and handle:

-RGBs/RGsB/RGBHV
    -Composite
    -S-video/y/c

I would need a matrix switcher with 12 outputs like a 12x12, 24x12, or 30x30. First off those are less common and more expensive. They're also so large that you typically need longer BNC cables as well as they will not reach. Not to mention every time I wanted to use a signal that didn't utilize my monitor's RGB2 input, I'd need to change the monitors input (which I have to do now anyway) as well as changing devices on my crosspoint. So as opposed to doing that, I prefer to use a common 4-output crosspoint which handles every device of mine (or will once I get N64 and NES RGB modded) except for 3DO and Laserdisc. To go through ALLL of that extra trouble just for those two devices which I need to change the monitor's input for anyways is simply not worth the extra effort. There would be less switching components on my tv stand, but it wouldn't make it any easier to use.

To your point for Phoenix connectors, yes it's easy, yes it's cheap'ish (I'd need like 13 minimum @$4 would be over $50). But if I already have a 12 input 19 inch audio switcher equipped with RCA and need to switch audio for devices not going through my crosspoint, why does it matter? The only real downside is another 1U of rack height and another plug into my power strip.

EDIT: Also, I'm not daisy chaining anything. I simply have the audio cables from my SCART>BNC cable going into an audio switcher. And if I didn't make it clear, I'll be retiring my current Extron SW AV 6 RCA, and replacing it with an Extron MPS112. So one Crosspoint, one audio switcher.
    Last edited by aaronmjr; 08-22-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Armored Scrum Object

So here's the thing, I have 4 monitors meaning I will need 4 outputs from the Crosspoint for each signal type.
    Seems like you've already made up your mind, and I would really have to see a diagram of everything you want to setup to really help (as I'm not completely understanding the full breadth of everything), but for me personally, having a setup similar to yours (although roughly double the amount of consoles and monitors) I wouldn't settle for anything less than being able to throw ANY signal onto ANY monitor(s) I want, all with a single switcher. But whatever works for you, works for you, so go with it!

Also keep in mind you don't need 12x cables running to your 4x monitors, for 3x connection types. You can take advantage of the inputs and outputs and link multiple things together and save quite a few cables. On my BVM-D20 at one point I was using 1 single 5BNC cable for RGBS, YPbPr, YC, and CV via this method.

Mr. Big's Thug

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! Definitely not settling, but there's only so much time+money to go around at any given time so this is just the current iteration of a constantly evolving setup. I'm moving from high priority to low, so here's where I am!

I'm curious about your last paragraph though. Unless the 5 BNC connector "RGB2" on my monitors can accept signals other than RGB/HV it would be neccessary to send a dedicated cable for each signal type. For instance monitor #1 would need cables for RGB/HV, composite, and S-Video if I want to use those signal types on the monitor. That's 3 different cables for each monitor, multiplied by 4 monitors, would be a minimum of 12 separate lines going from the Crosspoint to my monitors. Or am I missing something major that I'm going to feel dumb about?

Armored Scrum Object

I'm curious about your last paragraph though. Unless the 5 BNC connector "RGB2" on my monitors can accept signals other than RGB/HV it would be neccessary to send a dedicated cable for each signal type. For instance monitor #1 would need cables for RGB/HV, composite, and S-Video if I want to use those signal types on the monitor. That's 3 different cables for each monitor, multiplied by 4 monitors, would be a minimum of 12 separate lines going from the Crosspoint to my monitors. Or am I missing something major that I'm going to feel dumb about?
    You connections look like this (per the XM29 plus manual), right?

So since I've never owned a NEC before, I don't even know how (or if) your monitor even takes RGBS natively (manual says crap at first glance...and it doesn’t take Component either?), or if your NEC does take RGBS, if that’s ONLY through the "RGB2" connector… Or is the "RGB1" another input as well? or is that just a "throughput" like it's labeled (which I guess means output?).

Anyway, the same principles should hold true no matter what. What I've tried on other Sony, Ikegami, Panasonic, and JVC monitors is their RGBS outputs seem to be simple pass-throughs of what you feed into the inputs. You can tell this because when they're turned off they still pass that signal through, so it's definitely not being processed in any way and *should* output whatever it's fed no matter what. YMMV of course, but this is how it works on many other monitors I’ve tried.

So during normal operation (for example) your tell your Crosspoint to take a RGBS signal and throw it to Output 1 which is plugged into your NEC’s RGBS input -- and you'll get RGBS on the monitor (pretend this works as I don’t know exactly how you setup things with a NEC).

Now to get S-Video or Composite on the monitor, besides turning the monitor onto the S-Video or Composite mode, what’s to say that S-Video or Composite signal can’t travel down that SAME EXACT BNC cable you were using for RGBS? Nothing – the Crosspoint switch simply switches what you tell it to, but the problem right now is that cable is plugged into the RGBS connectors, and NOT plugged into the S-Video and Composite connectors. This is where the magic happens – and it’s stupid easy. If you run composite on the red line, simply run a short BNC cable from the Red output (of the RGBS line), to the Composite input and you have Composite running on the same cable. For S-Video – which needs 2x BNC’s (for Luma and Chroma – breakout adapters from 2x BNC’s to S-Video plug are easily available) do the same on the Green and Blue BNC output lines and plug it into the S-Video in and you’re done.

You’ll only be running one signal at a time per monitor, so as long as you turn the monitor into the correct mode before switching it on the Crosspoint, you shouldn’t even get any funkiness ever showing up on the screen….now all this is to bypass your smaller Crosspoint…which FYI my like-new Crosspoint 16x16 was $90 shipped on eBay…which would make it so you don’t have to do any of this and can run how ever many wires you want…

Mr. Big's Thug

Holy shit. That's fucking genius. I'm going to try it and see if it works like that on my monitors. I've been into this stuff for 5 years and I've never heard anyone mention that before! You've got me excited!

Armored Scrum Object

No problem man, let me know how it works out for you. It's been a good year+ since I did that last so my memory could be screwing up a detail or two, but the premise is pretty simple. I had to figure that out when I was trying to simplify my setup with the least amount of wires running to the monitors or it simply wouldn't fit into my Crosspoint at the time. Since then I've been basically converting everything to RGBS for simplicity, then still running one single wire to each monitor. That took a LOT more work and a LOT more hardware but it's been fun setting up a full rack setup like this:

And since we're in the CRT thread, here's my full setup at the moment. Kinda insane, and pointless (only use the 3x larger monitors to actually play on), but I had extra monitors laying around so I had some fun with it and put them to use. And don't mind the 1958 wallpaper - this is the last (and smallest) bedroom I still need to renovate in my fixer-upper house:

If anybody is interested in more pics, you can check out the full Imgur album. Have a short 40-second video of it in action as well.

The thing I'm most proud of in that rack are the three AFFORDABLE TVOne Corio2 scalers (to downscale pretty much anything to 240p) to get scanlines like this (pic is OG Xbox 480p to 240p on a 32" PVM-3230).

I made a big long post about those scalers on Reddit here if anybody would like some more info.
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 08-22-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Neo Bubble Buster

A horizontal black line appeared on the screen of my PVM 14M4U, yesterday I began to notice it.

In the photo it does not look very good.

Is it some kind of failure?
    SNK Forever...

Lemme guess, that's exactly a third of the way down the screen?
    Whatcha gonna do?

Neo Bubble Buster

Yes, It does not seem to cover the entire screen.
    Last edited by liwer; 08-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    SNK Forever...

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

That is probably the aperature grill support. One minor downside of the technology in return for a brighter picture/sharper.

You're now manually thinking of it.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 08-22-2018 at 09:19 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    That is probably the aperature grill support. One minor downside of the technology in return for a brighter picture/sharper.

You're now manually thinking of it.
    Is it something that can be solved? or is it normal to see that line?
    SNK Forever...

Yes, you should see it at the bottom third of the screen as well. It should show really well on solid light colored screens of you don't have the brightness and contrast jacked up to the point of blooming.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by liwer View Post
    Is it something that can be solved? or is it normal to see that line?
    It's a physical metal dampening wire that's part of the screen. It's always been there.

If I could have
    My time back
    I'd keep it in ma' pants

Yes, every light in the neighborhood dims when I fire all of this up.
    Fucking incredible setup! Does your Extron have the ability to stretch one video image across all 4 displays like an old video-wall in a MTV video?

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    No problem man, let me know how it works out for you.
    Thank you! I'm hoping to at least test it out in the next couple days. Also, your setup looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. And nice Kramer!

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    Fucking incredible setup! Does your Extron have the ability to stretch one video image across all 4 displays like an old video-wall in a MTV video?
    It does not, but that is a longer term goal. Finding a video wall processor that doesn't need content generated from a PC, or that is fully digital has been a challenge. I spoke to an old-timer who used to deal with them recently and he gave me some brand names and model numbers to look at, just need to dig in and do some more research!

Armored Scrum Object

Thank you! I'm hoping to at least test it out in the next couple days. Also, your setup looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. And nice Kramer!
    Thanks. And the Kramer is excellent. Had to replace the two largest caps in it, but it's been working fine since then. It's only used for converting S-Video to RGBS for the Gamecube (which the Wii can do just fine), and my N64 (which honestly, NOTHING can help the N64's graphics so S-Video is just fine for how much I play that console).

I've got an RGB modded system and honestly, some games look better in svideo to me, like Starfox.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Armored Scrum Object

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdx2 View Post
    Really?
    Yes, really.

Seriously though, the N64, even graphics aside, the N64 carts couldn't even hold what? like a 10th of the data that a CD could (which the other super-popular systems of that time used). Now I absolutely LOVE some N64 games...but it's a really small amount; PS1 and Saturn on the other hand I love a TON more games. And they look better to my eyes, and I don't need a pricey mod on those systems either - just a standard RGB cable and I'm all set.
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 08-24-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Thread Information