CRT Fetish Thread

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
My Genesis PAC worked fine. No issues. Doesn't mean the caps weren't leaking all over the board potentially. This was 5 or 6 years ago, so maybe they're worse now. I dunno.

Yeah i highly advice opening it up and looking. Laseractive PACs are notorious for having a LOT of caps and if they leak it can potentially ruin so many traces that it becomes unfixable

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I've still got a LaserActive and both PACs work just fine. Fuck changing the caps on the Sega one though, that's a damned nightmare. The player is also very meh in terms of video quality.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I've still got a LaserActive and both PACs work just fine. Fuck changing the caps on the Sega one though, that's a damned nightmare. The player is also very meh in terms of video quality.
I had the... displeasure of trying out a mega LD game at an arcade expo once... the machine feels like an expensive waste of space to me.

It was at Louisville arcade expo... on an on-topic note, usually they have a pretty amazing display of big expensive looking sony PVM’s connected to dreamcasts with typing of the dead and a tate mode ikaruga. Its gorgeous...

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Chu Chu, this busta is aping your brand of 'tard.

Giving unsolicited tech advice to someone for a system he doesn't even own.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Its just a warning man, ive heard from a few sources that they’re known to leak all over the place. If there was an oncoming car about to run over someone wouldnt you try to make them move? Lmao. As far as i know, laseractive pacs are ticking time bombs. I sell time bomb consoles, not gonna be stuck with an expensive paper weight. Either that or restore it myself. Admittedly It’s needless to rant on about laseractives as this is a CRT thread :p

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I don't think I ever shared my "new" basement setup in here!

-4 NEC XM29 monitors on a home built stand
-8x4 Extron Crosspoint matrix switcher
-Extron SW AV 6 RCA audio switcher
-Lepai mini amp
-Paradigm Atom v.2 speakers

I'm switching 9 systems, a Laserdisc player, and a Small Form Factor PC. Here are some progress pics. I'll post a current shot when I get home later! I didn't have the amp or PC when these pics were taken.

Yes, every light in the neighborhood dims when I fire all of this up.

Any luck with the XM37 you snagged for free yet? You need that to join the rest of the NEC family :p

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Any luck with the XM37 you snagged for free yet? You need that to join the rest of the NEC family :p

Slowly but surely! Found a crack in the neck board. I'm going to remove it and see what can be done by me, or maybe someone more capable to fix it. Fingers crossed that's all it is!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Here's a couple current pictures for anyone who was curious. Dont mind the mess! Added a little Dell desktop hooked up via VGA/RGBHV for DVD, music, and YouTube playback and a Lepai LP-2020TI amplifier which is plenty loud for my bookshelf speakers. You can also see the original RCA AV-20BP3 on my SNES Kiosk, and a Vectrex hiding near my display case.

Next plans are to add an Extron RXi to fix some screen bending on VGA sources via the SERR dip switch, and swap out the Extron SW AV 6 RCA for an Extron MPS112 that can switch 12 audio sources. Feeling good about it otherwise!

2qXtxNjh.jpg

Hg7ayQyh.jpg

5j4by0kh.jpg

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
swap out the Extron SW AV 6 RCA for an Extron MPS112 that can switch 12 audio sources. Feeling good about it otherwise!

I see an Extron Crosspoint there, right? Why not run both video AND audio through the same Crosspoint? Crosspoints with audio (HVA version) are pretty cheap.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I see an Extron Crosspoint there, right? Why not run both video AND audio through the same Crosspoint? Crosspoints with audio (HVA version) are pretty cheap.

Hey! My Crosspoint does have audio via phoenix connector, but there are three reasons why I don't want to use it that way:

1. I want to switch audio for non-rgb devices that are not going through the crosspoint as well (3DO, Laserdisc player etc.) So I'd need a second device to switch non-rgb audio anyways.
2. My amplifier only has one set of RCA inputs so switching all audio through one switcher makes the most sense.
3. I was able to get two Extron MPS112's that switch 12 sources for like $20, which is less than I'd spend on pre-made phoenix audio>RCA adapters. And I don't feel like making my own.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Hey man we all have our vices, mixing up the toploaders is mine while yours is not being able to wait 2ish minutes to flash a game when people are over.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
And now my recently acquired (single) XM29 feels completely inadequate. Thanks.

Hey! My Crosspoint does have audio via phoenix connector, but there are three reasons why I don't want to use it that way:
1. I want to switch audio for non-rgb devices that are not going through the crosspoint as well (3DO, Laserdisc player etc.) So I'd need a second device to switch non-rgb audio anyways.

The RGBHV Crosspoint can also be used to switch s-video and composite video inputs alongside RGB. Component video too. Though with 4 monitors to output to the crosspoint would need 12 outputs to switch between the three signals.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
And now my recently acquired (single) XM29 feels completely inadequate. Thanks.

1 is perfect! I'm just a weirdo.

The RGBHV Crosspoint can also be used to switch s-video and composite video inputs alongside RGB. Component video too. Though with 4 monitors to output from the crosspoint would need 12 outputs to switch between the three signals.

Yep. This was all considered when I mapped out my original plan. I'm all for complex (obviously) but that just wasn't going to be worth it. I have some options to convert s-video/composite to RGBs so it can be switched, but honestly I just need to get my N64 and NES RGB modded, I don't really use my Laserdisc player that much etc. So there's some tweaking to be done, but I have all the major bases covered.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yep. This was all considered when I mapped out my original plan. I'm all for complex (obviously) but that just wasn't going to be worth it. I have some options to convert s-video/composite to RGBs so it can be switched, but honestly I just need to get my N64 and NES RGB modded, I don't really use my Laserdisc player that much etc. So there's some tweaking to be done, but I have all the major bases covered.

I don't know if we're on the same page, but just like twoquickcapri said above, an Extron Crosspoint can switch ALL (KNOWN TO MAN) RETRO GAMING VIDEO SIGNALS - this includes Composite (CV), S-Video (YC), Component (YPbPr and all other flavors like RGsB - sync on green-, etc), RGBS, RGBHV (also known as VGA). Hell, I'm even messing around with switching HDMI through mine with HDMI to VGA adapters... With audio, the only thing it fails at is optical sound/TOSLink (which I don't personally use on these older systems) - but anything which normally uses a Left (white) and Right (Red) RCA cable for sound can be run through a Crosspoint HVA model.

This means every single 'retro' console you have, even your 3DO and Laserdisc player (and VHS, S-VHS, Betamax, DVD, etc. etc. etc.) can be switched through your Extron Crosspoint – so to be blunt, it's kinda stupid to have other (multiple?) switchers daisy chained just for audio and making things more complicated then they have to be. Making Phoenix adapters literally takes a wire stripper to strip the wires, twist them together, then shove them into the phoenix connectors (which are screw-down - don't even need to be soldered)....OR, for less than $4/each they make the PCB (phoenix to RCA) connectors now which are super cheap.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
so to be blunt, it's kinda stupid to have other (multiple?) switchers daisy chained just for audio and making things more complicated then they have to be. Making Phoenix adapters literally takes a wire stripper to strip the wires, twist them together, then shove them into the phoenix connectors (which are screw-down - don't even need to be soldered)....OR, for less than $4/each they make the PCB (phoenix to RCA) connectors now which are super cheap.

I appreciate your bluntness ;) I'm aware of all of the capabilities of the Crosspoint, and did my research before I bought one. I would agree with you if every single one of my devices was going into my monitor's RGB2 input, that would streamline things.

So here's the thing, I have 4 monitors meaning I will need 4 outputs from the Crosspoint for each signal type. So to do what you're proposing and handle:

-RGBs/RGsB/RGBHV
-Composite
-S-video/y/c

I would need a matrix switcher with 12 outputs like a 12x12, 24x12, or 30x30. First off those are less common and more expensive. They're also so large that you typically need longer BNC cables as well as they will not reach. Not to mention every time I wanted to use a signal that didn't utilize my monitor's RGB2 input, I'd need to change the monitors input (which I have to do now anyway) as well as changing devices on my crosspoint. So as opposed to doing that, I prefer to use a common 4-output crosspoint which handles every device of mine (or will once I get N64 and NES RGB modded) except for 3DO and Laserdisc. To go through ALLL of that extra trouble just for those two devices which I need to change the monitor's input for anyways is simply not worth the extra effort. There would be less switching components on my tv stand, but it wouldn't make it any easier to use.

To your point for Phoenix connectors, yes it's easy, yes it's cheap'ish (I'd need like 13 minimum @$4 would be over $50). But if I already have a 12 input 19 inch audio switcher equipped with RCA and need to switch audio for devices not going through my crosspoint, why does it matter? The only real downside is another 1U of rack height and another plug into my power strip.

EDIT: Also, I'm not daisy chaining anything. I simply have the audio cables from my SCART>BNC cable going into an audio switcher. And if I didn't make it clear, I'll be retiring my current Extron SW AV 6 RCA, and replacing it with an Extron MPS112. So one Crosspoint, one audio switcher.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So here's the thing, I have 4 monitors meaning I will need 4 outputs from the Crosspoint for each signal type.

Seems like you've already made up your mind, and I would really have to see a diagram of everything you want to setup to really help (as I'm not completely understanding the full breadth of everything), but for me personally, having a setup similar to yours (although roughly double the amount of consoles and monitors) I wouldn't settle for anything less than being able to throw ANY signal onto ANY monitor(s) I want, all with a single switcher. But whatever works for you, works for you, so go with it!

Also keep in mind you don't need 12x cables running to your 4x monitors, for 3x connection types. You can take advantage of the inputs and outputs and link multiple things together and save quite a few cables. On my BVM-D20 at one point I was using 1 single 5BNC cable for RGBS, YPbPr, YC, and CV via this method.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! Definitely not settling, but there's only so much time+money to go around at any given time so this is just the current iteration of a constantly evolving setup. I'm moving from high priority to low, so here's where I am!

I'm curious about your last paragraph though. Unless the 5 BNC connector "RGB2" on my monitors can accept signals other than RGB/HV it would be neccessary to send a dedicated cable for each signal type. For instance monitor #1 would need cables for RGB/HV, composite, and S-Video if I want to use those signal types on the monitor. That's 3 different cables for each monitor, multiplied by 4 monitors, would be a minimum of 12 separate lines going from the Crosspoint to my monitors. Or am I missing something major that I'm going to feel dumb about? :)

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm curious about your last paragraph though. Unless the 5 BNC connector "RGB2" on my monitors can accept signals other than RGB/HV it would be neccessary to send a dedicated cable for each signal type. For instance monitor #1 would need cables for RGB/HV, composite, and S-Video if I want to use those signal types on the monitor. That's 3 different cables for each monitor, multiplied by 4 monitors, would be a minimum of 12 separate lines going from the Crosspoint to my monitors. Or am I missing something major that I'm going to feel dumb about? :)

You connections look like this (per the XM29 plus manual), right?

7b6ZqoU.jpg

So since I've never owned a NEC before, I don't even know how (or if) your monitor even takes RGBS natively (manual says crap at first glance...and it doesn’t take Component either?), or if your NEC does take RGBS, if that’s ONLY through the "RGB2" connector… Or is the "RGB1" another input as well? or is that just a "throughput" like it's labeled (which I guess means output?).

Anyway, the same principles should hold true no matter what. What I've tried on other Sony, Ikegami, Panasonic, and JVC monitors is their RGBS outputs seem to be simple pass-throughs of what you feed into the inputs. You can tell this because when they're turned off they still pass that signal through, so it's definitely not being processed in any way and *should* output whatever it's fed no matter what. YMMV of course, but this is how it works on many other monitors I’ve tried.

So during normal operation (for example) your tell your Crosspoint to take a RGBS signal and throw it to Output 1 which is plugged into your NEC’s RGBS input -- and you'll get RGBS on the monitor (pretend this works as I don’t know exactly how you setup things with a NEC).

Now to get S-Video or Composite on the monitor, besides turning the monitor onto the S-Video or Composite mode, what’s to say that S-Video or Composite signal can’t travel down that SAME EXACT BNC cable you were using for RGBS? Nothing – the Crosspoint switch simply switches what you tell it to, but the problem right now is that cable is plugged into the RGBS connectors, and NOT plugged into the S-Video and Composite connectors. This is where the magic happens – and it’s stupid easy. If you run composite on the red line, simply run a short BNC cable from the Red output (of the RGBS line), to the Composite input and you have Composite running on the same cable. For S-Video – which needs 2x BNC’s (for Luma and Chroma – breakout adapters from 2x BNC’s to S-Video plug are easily available) do the same on the Green and Blue BNC output lines and plug it into the S-Video in and you’re done.

You’ll only be running one signal at a time per monitor, so as long as you turn the monitor into the correct mode before switching it on the Crosspoint, you shouldn’t even get any funkiness ever showing up on the screen….now all this is to bypass your smaller Crosspoint…which FYI my like-new Crosspoint 16x16 was $90 shipped on eBay…which would make it so you don’t have to do any of this and can run how ever many wires you want…

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Holy shit. That's fucking genius. I'm going to try it and see if it works like that on my monitors. I've been into this stuff for 5 years and I've never heard anyone mention that before! You've got me excited!

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
No problem man, let me know how it works out for you. It's been a good year+ since I did that last so my memory could be screwing up a detail or two, but the premise is pretty simple. I had to figure that out when I was trying to simplify my setup with the least amount of wires running to the monitors or it simply wouldn't fit into my Crosspoint at the time. Since then I've been basically converting everything to RGBS for simplicity, then still running one single wire to each monitor. That took a LOT more work and a LOT more hardware but it's been fun setting up a full rack setup like this:

ASRAgA6.jpg

And since we're in the CRT thread, here's my full setup at the moment. Kinda insane, and pointless (only use the 3x larger monitors to actually play on), but I had extra monitors laying around so I had some fun with it and put them to use. And don't mind the 1958 wallpaper - this is the last (and smallest) bedroom I still need to renovate in my fixer-upper house:

HvYhkLc.jpg

If anybody is interested in more pics, you can check out the full Imgur album. Have a short 40-second video of it in action as well.

The thing I'm most proud of in that rack are the three AFFORDABLE TVOne Corio2 scalers (to downscale pretty much anything to 240p) to get scanlines like this (pic is OG Xbox 480p to 240p on a 32" PVM-3230).

uMtmsUU.jpg

I made a big long post about those scalers on Reddit here if anybody would like some more info.

Last edited:

liwer

n00b
A horizontal black line appeared on the screen of my PVM 14M4U, yesterday I began to notice it.:(

20180822_191845.jpg

In the photo it does not look very good.

Is it some kind of failure?