CRT Fetish Thread

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Yes. It could be soldered but it's surely disconnectable at the other end.

It's not unusual for a TV manufacturer that is also a CRT manufacturer to use CRTs of other makers in their sets. Cost is a reason but there are others like the fact that some CRT plants make some sizes and not others. Toshiba did have a plant in the US, not sure what they did there though. Toshiba tubes were used extensively in European sets (even low cost ones) in the 80s and early 90s. Later they practically disappeared. When true flat CRTs became a thing Samsung and LG were dominating the market.

Not sure what kind of tube swap you have in mind but that set is likely to have a tube with a standard yoke (1.3-1.5 mH on horizontal) that can't be mated with a Nanao chassis. You would need the tube of a 100Hz TV or something else that can do hi res as they have the correct inductance for Nanao dual sync and tri sync chassis.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Yes. It could be soldered but it's surely disconnectable at the other end.

It's not unusual for a TV manufacturer that is also a CRT manufacturer to use CRTs of other makers in their sets. Cost is a reason but there are others like the fact that some CRT plants make some sizes and not others. Toshiba did have a plant in the US, not sure what they did there though. Toshiba tubes were used extensively in European sets (even low cost ones) in the 80s and early 90s. Later they practically disappeared. When true flat CRTs became a thing Samsung and LG were dominating the market.

Not sure what kind of tube swap you have in mind but that set is likely to have a tube with a standard yoke (1.3-1.5 mH on horizontal) that can't be mated with a Nanao chassis. You would need the tube of a 100Hz TV or something else that can do hi res as they have the correct inductance for Nanao dual sync and tri sync chassis.

Thanks, it easily disconnects from the neckboard. I am wondering if it’s possible to be paired with another Toshiba chassis, the ones used in the pure flat NNC and early Egret 3. I have to check the chassis that’s in here again but I could have sworn I saw Toshiba on it.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
All those monitors, Nanao or Toshiba, have yokes with a horizontal coil of about 300uH. Standard TV tubes will never work, 100Hz tubes will.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Are Sony Wega's still reasonably available? I need a good CRT with component.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Are Sony Wega's still reasonably available? I need a good CRT with component.

That tosh I just posted has an amazing component picture. A lot of the 4:3 flat crts have a good picture for the price. Wegas are getting to be like pvms, they are starting to creep in price. The other Phillips I have is also great in component.

@MKL I opened up my Phillips flat 27 out of curiosity and there’s a Samsung tube in there. Like you said, LG and Samsung must have been rocking those flat crts.

For only 4.900yen i couldn't resist to it
The seller said it wasn't turn on, well let's see about that...

YkOQH16.jpg

Spoiler:
3h1wXZc.jpg

Nl2kRrA.jpg

ACS6WZ2.jpg

It Arrived with some more damage to it. Look that shit package

NCoXkPX.jpg

Spoiler:

PoipK6e.jpg

n1mFw64.jpg

wuLjhTP.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Just snagged this off of Craigslist for 10 bucks. It's a Sony GDM-5402. Broke my nice phone and replaced it with something much cheaper, so sorry for the potato cam pics. Looks fantastic with the OSSC in person. It has a great menu with plenty of screen settings you can tweak.

Spoiler:
1785918289995428885.jpg

5561947868947818846.jpg

4144732946668750456.jpg

2212432846231560722.jpg

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah it does. Here is an example. Starts at 2:43 in the vid.

Yeah very easy to took it off on this model. But keep in mind that the screen will be a little brighter and more static. I'll try to replace the film protector

Sweet, thanks. One of my 20L5s has a couple of minor scratches in the mask. Nice to know I can remove it :)

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't think I ever shared my "new" basement setup in here!

-4 NEC XM29 monitors on a home built stand
-8x4 Extron Crosspoint matrix switcher
-Extron SW AV 6 RCA audio switcher
-Lepai mini amp
-Paradigm Atom v.2 speakers

I'm switching 9 systems, a Laserdisc player, and a Small Form Factor PC. Here are some progress pics. I'll post a current shot when I get home later! I didn't have the amp or PC when these pics were taken.

zlhXeqVl.jpg

IMx7yCal.jpg

DEOFkf5l.jpg

3V42Ohrl.jpg

df1Il9cl.jpg

X9FazFxl.jpg

zqOT6isl.jpg

eLX09Idl.jpg

Yes, every light in the neighborhood dims when I fire all of this up.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
That 4 CRT setup is outright ridiculous, i love it. Do you ever have four people each playing a different console? That looks like so much fun :)

The laserdisc player is the cherry on top. I was watching an ALIEN laserdisc last night.. i love the big vinyl-like artwork on them, but when my pioneer CLD v2800 dies i’ll likely sell all my laserdiscs...

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The jokes on you. CLD-V2800's hardly ever die!

Right, it’s an industrial model LD player after all, also sold to the educational market. I bought three working LD players on ebay and all were dead on arrival damaged on transit except for this one which is built like a tank.

I even have a CLD-3030 with remote ala master tasuke. Broken in transit, of course.

When i was little i’d find laserdiscs at used bookstores etc, i picked up a few over the years but it wasnt till 3 or 4 years ago that i actually got a working player to watch my discs

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup, change the belt when it gets stretched and keep the moving bits lubed and it will last a really long time. I keep one as a backup, it's a solid underrated little player.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Yup, change the belt when it gets stretched and keep the moving bits lubed and it will last a really long time. I keep one as a backup, it's a solid underrated little player.

I read that the CLDV2800 was the smallest most compact LD player ever made

Laserdiscs are cool as hell, they just look so neat. When i was 6 or 7 the first time i ever saw or heard of star wars it was at my older brother’s friend’s house and his dad put on a star wars LD for us kids to watch. I remember they were an extremely wealthy family with a huge house and this guy was a bit of an audiophile... I distinctly recall him saying “the amplifier has to warm up for a few seconds” when he powered it on.. at that age i thought it was curious, now i know it mustve been a vacuum tube system.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As far as I know that's true. I got it because it was the only player that would fit in my TV stand at the time.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
As far as I know that's true. I got it because it was the only player that would fit in my TV stand at the time.

I used to sit my atari 7800 on top of it, and one time somebody was like “holy fuck, the unreleased atari 7800 laserdisc player!!” When they saw it hahaha

At the moment i’m interested in collecting looney tunes, disney, the land before time, secret of nimh, and other cartoon/childrens laserdiscs... some seem to go for kinda a lot of money though. Its my dream to also own MYSTERY MEN on laserdisc, but it goes for a ton of cashish

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
The LD player in my pic above is an auto-flip, S-Video unit. I really like it. I used to have a LaserActive and it was nothing to write home about.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The LD player in my pic above is an auto-flip, S-Video unit. I really like it. I used to have a LaserActive and it was nothing to write home about.

Did the genesis/TG16 PAC actually work in yours when you got it, or was it recapped? I hear they are almost always broken when you find them.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
My Genesis PAC worked fine. No issues. Doesn't mean the caps weren't leaking all over the board potentially. This was 5 or 6 years ago, so maybe they're worse now. I dunno.