CRT Fetish Thread

liwer

n00b
Hello,

Since a week ago I have this problem with my PVM 2030, when turning on the image it looks bad and with a lot of brightness, after 20 minutes working it looks perfect.

Please watch video :)

20 minutes later.
20180701_204101.jpg

Is it a capacitor problem?

Thank you.

ScottyJayy

n00b
i have hit my stopping point ladies and gentlemen (untill my CRT's die)

i have been a fan of the PVM monitors, for 2 months, and they look great, i saw a 20" medical PVM 800TVL in person and it was nice and crisp, with good scanlines. i had picked up a well loved 13" 600TVL pvm, and i still hunted for more

i saw a JVC D series online (offerup) nearby, i talked the guy down to 20 bucks, and i grinned for 45 minutes all the way back home.

JVC AV-32D501

32" 800TVL
2x S-video
4x composit
1x component

for a huge TV it only weights 114LB (only lol)
it is only a few inches deeper then the 13" PVM i have.

this this is amazing. and i haven't touched the settings yet.

i saw the component jacks on the back in the photos and i jumped on it.

my fiance is grateful that i will not be hunting any more huge CRT's to fill up the house.

thanks for the info everyone. <3
https://offerup.com/item/detail/498289338/

Last edited:
Hello,

Since a week ago I have this problem with my PVM 2030, when turning on the image it looks bad and with a lot of brightness, after 20 minutes working it looks perfect.

Please watch video :)

20 minutes later.
20180701_204101.jpg

Is it a capacitor problem?

Thank you.

Probably there is a bad capacitor.
One of my monitors had the same issue couple months before and it was the electrolytic capacitor on the rgb board.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Why is the controller rubber banded up? Isn't that hard to play like that? I would think those games would get in the way too.

After he took that picture, it all went back in the box, never to see the light of day again.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Not really been buying anything as of late, that is until I came across this for cheap.

Picked up a nice Marantz DVD player. Here is a photo of me testing it out.

dvd.jpg

Sony KV-36FV15 in the background.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That thing is massive, reminds me of the 100 disc CD players. Cool.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Yeah it is one of those 300 +1 disc jobs. I got it just to hook up to that CRT in the background. That's why I sneaked it into this thread. I love that big old Sony set. The DVD player and the TV both have component hook ups on them, so I thought that was cool too.

So far it is the only thing that I've found that seems to work on the component input. Anything else I have is HD and doesn't seem to do right. I don't know if it is a setting or something I need to change though or just how the TV is.

I'm not looking forward to having to move the TV though when I move. I can't imagine it will be much fun trying to get that monster into the basement.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On those other devices if possible make sure that they are set to output 480i before you hook them up to the sdtv. That's a problem with game systems that support HD resolutions through component, if you forget to switch it back it's a headache.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
On those other devices if possible make sure that they are set to output 480i before you hook them up to the sdtv. That's a problem with game systems that support HD resolutions through component, if you forget to switch it back it's a headache.

I think I'm going to try this with my OG Xbox later. It was modded, so I bet that's the problem that I'll have to change out the settings.

I've some PVM units that I picked up from one of the members here, and they are mighty nice, I like to use one for doing video transfer stuff for VHS and BETA tapes, the other I was having for gaming, but honestly even though the picture is better I like playing on the Sony TV there better, just due to the size.

I don't like sitting close to the screen or playing video games at a desk. I may end up parting with one of them pretty soon. Sometimes bigger is better, at least when you are sitting across the room.

On a side note, I've got two of the old school Sony CRT projectors as well, that I think I may end up parting ways with. You need a good dark room, but I like the look of them for old school stuff better than the new projectors.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One trick you can do for the Xbox is if you still have the composite or svideo cable around you can use it temporarily since that forces the Xbox into 480i mode, and then go into the settings to permanently change it to 480i. There's probably also a button combination you can use to boot it into a safe video mode but I'm too lazy to Google it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I had to google it for 360, but if memory serves the oxbox you just hold down power for a while till it resets to SD.

Recapped my tiny applecolor 15k monitor today. It's a high hour tube; hopefully some day I can get one that wasn't so loved by the original owners. Even after a recap it takes a while to warm up, but once it does, it's not half bad.

20180710_120624_HDR.jpg

20180710_121335_HDR.jpg

20180710_153943_HDR.jpg

20180710_161355_HDR.jpg

20180710_161402_HDR.jpg

20180710_163144_HDR.jpg

20180710_164223_HDR.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's fucken great, skate. The IIgs is such an under-rated system. The floppy emu is worth its weight in gold, too.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
That's fucken great, skate. The IIgs is such an under-rated system. The floppy emu is worth its weight in gold, too.

Agreed that looks great. My high school had one IIgs that we all coveted until the Apple IIs finally got replaced my Mac LCs.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Thanks dudes.

The iigs has been a blast. I've been enjoying crystal quest, pipe dream, and a bunch of other games. I also found a 32mb image chalk full of 8-bit apple II games prepared for iigs. Top it off with a .MOD player and a pile of old songs / game soundtracks, and it's a really nice piece to add to the collection.

The floppyemu is really nice for a plug and play solution, but now I rarely use it. I put in a microdrive turbo to compliment the floppyemu, which is basically an IDE controller with a dual CF slot included. It has DMA access and runs exponentially faster than the floppyemu (which is restricted by the slow speed of the floppy port). I use the microdrive for everything I can, but certain copy protected disks will ONLY play from a floppy or ram disk, not internal hdd. So, the floppyemu is great to have around for those games, and good if I need to get a small disk image copied over "sneakernet" style since I don't have to pop off the case to get to the memory card. But, if I have to copy more than a few MB, it's infinitely faster to just pull the CF card, and use an app in windows to copy files to the hfs/prodos partitions on the CF card.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Got a really dope Toshiba CRT for $20 today. While the aim is to see if its a candidate for a tube swap or rgb mod, it has a really nice picture. Some parts need a recap, as I can see where joints are dry on the chassis.

What is really odd, is the TV is a toshiba, but the tube itself is a LG Phillips.

https://imgur.com/a/UTudAs1

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
FFFFFUUUCCK... that IIgs setup is some serious hotness. The last time I used one of those was to try and make my own LTTP Link sprites from a screen shot in EGM.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Got a really dope Toshiba CRT for $20 today. While the aim is to see if its a candidate for a tube swap or rgb mod, it has a really nice picture. Some parts need a recap, as I can see where joints are dry on the chassis.

What is really odd, is the TV is a toshiba, but the tube itself is a LG Phillips.

https://imgur.com/a/UTudAs1

I wish there was a way to disable VSM on the late gen Toshiba I have. I picked it up essentially brand new a few months ago and the geometry and convergence is spot on, but VSM aka velocity scan modulation. The tl;dr of vsm is it creates heavy ringing on high contrast stuff.

From my research it seems I need to open it up and cut the VSM circuit since the service menu doesn't have an option last I checked.

the model I have is similar to yours, 27A45.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Just unplug the coil. It can be seen in the above pics.

And yes, even in Europe Toshiba sets usually don't have Tosh tubes, mostly Thomson. Grundig is a great source of Tosh tubes but you don't have it in the US.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Just unplug the coil. It can be seen in the above pics.

And yes, even in Europe Toshiba sets usually don't have Tosh tubes, mostly Thomson. Grundig is a great source of Tosh tubes but you don't have it in the US.

Is this what needs to be unplugged?
iL76mSel.jpg

Also, is there any reason that some of the late gen TVs have different model tubes in them? Cost cutting? I'm going to discharge it later today and get some yoke readings. Even though it isn't a toshiba tube, I am hoping it will be a candidate for a tube swap.