Page 281 of 287 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 7168

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Amakusa's Fashion Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrikeMike View Post
    Good eye That's one of my friends that comes each weekend for my fighting game night we do every Saturday. We also do retro games that night as well. I haven't done much with the monitor since I have been on a month long work trip. I can't wait to get home and mess with it some more. I also need to practice some DBZ. They've all been leveling up hard while I have no access to it here in SLC.
    Yeah Ive been busy all month moving and stuff, and I'm finally moved in and able to practice DBFZ. Our local ranking battle tournaments start this weekend.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzm...SHN-k1d8rj6Q_A

Rugal's Secretary

Not your normal post for this thread but I recapped the analog board (chassis) on this 1986 Mac SE and it's looking great. Glorious monochrome scanlines.

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

That looks great Skate! My wife had a SE/30 back in college that we used to have a lot of fun with.

Igniz's Servant

Damn that brings me back! Nice work Skate I used to play the shit out of this

Screenshot_20180224-193201.jpg

Hardened Shock Trooper

Found a 13 inch Panasonic CRT being thrown away locally. Looks like it's already broken (vhs tape stuck inside it), but as long as it powers up I'm hopeful I can use it as a "test" CRT to teach me RGB modding. It snowed earlier today so I'm giving it a few weeks in storage before I open it up. Hopefully it didn't get too wet. Back says it was made in 2002, so I'm hoping it uses a SONY Trinitron style tube. Most companies used sony's design after 1998 after their patent ran out from what I've been told.

Chang's Combo Meal #4

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Most companies used sony's design after 1998 after their patent ran out from what I've been told.
    You've been told some major bullshit. Only Mitsubishi made flat aperture grille tubes and only for PC/pro monitors ("M" tubes), not TVs ("A" tubes) which was the bulk of their production. Other manufacturers (which are very few anyway) sticked to what they were doing (shadow mask) because to make AG tubes they should have changed their factory lines completely and nobody could afford that or thought it was worth it. Building a CRT plant is bloody expensive. When Thomson expanded their business to the US they took over RCA tube facilities and when Matsushita (Panasonic) opened a CRT factory in Europe in 1994 they didn't build one from the scratch, they bought Nokia's old plant for the same reason, the costs to build a CRT factory are too high. And then you read these "CRT enthusiasts" born in 1993 that think it's feasible that small runs of CRTs will start being made again one day because of them. HA!

NAM-75 Vet

Quote Originally Posted by MKL View Post
    You've been told some major bullshit. Only Mitsubishi made flat aperture grille tubes and only for PC/pro monitors ("M" tubes), not TVs ("A" tubes) which was the bulk of their production. Other manufacturers (which are very few anyway) sticked to what they were doing (shadow mask) because to make AG tubes they should have changed their factory lines completely and nobody could afford that or thought it was worth it. Building a CRT plant is bloody expensive. When Thomson expanded their business to the US they took over RCA tube facilities and when Matsushita (Panasonic) opened a CRT factory in Europe in 1994 they didn't build one from the scratch, they bought Nokia's old plant for the same reason, the costs to build a CRT factory are too high. And then you read these "CRT enthusiasts" born in 1993 that think it's feasible that small runs of CRTs will start being made again one day because of them. HA!
    Exactly this- never gonna happen.
    Last CRT I imported (!) from the US was a Wells Gardner D9200. Fucker cost a ton in customs and had all sorts of crazy issues. Still the best monitor I ever used for a cab.
    Neo Geo AES JP serial #108523 | Super Neo AES JP serial #081188

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Amen.

!!

Duck King's DJ

And then you read these "CRT enthusiasts" born in 1993 that think it's feasible that small runs of CRTs will start being made again one day because of them. HA!
    Preach it.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    "[M]ost agggressive gaming sites" has to be one of the strangest statements I have ever heard.

A bunch of forty-something video-gaming nerds that are only keyboard commandos and mostly sedate pussies any other hour of the day cannot really be all that aggressive, can they? (My self included.)

I love the lads here, this forum in general, and the mentality but lets not kid ourselves about this being some sort of dark web tough corner of the world.

N00b of Syougi

Do some of the JVC monitors (like ones from the DT series which are marked on the JVC Pro website as having 'Flat-screen CRT Aperture Grille' tubes) in fact have tubes made by Mitsubishi (or *gasp* by Sony themselves) in them? (which would be weird considering JVC was usually the company who supplied tubes for quite a few monitors made by other companies like Ikegami and Panasonic).

And not all consumer TV's have "A" tubes in them, correct? I know the service manual for the consumer Sony KV-27FV310 for instance has a "M" tube listed as being in it (don't know what others might have them as well).
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 03-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Chang's Combo Meal #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Do some of the JVC monitors (like ones from the DT series which are marked on the JVC Pro website as having 'Flat-screen CRT Aperture Grille' tubes) in fact have tubes made by Mitsubishi (or *gasp* by Sony themselves) in them?
    Yes.

(which would be weird considering JVC was usually the company who supplied tubes for quite a few monitors made by other companies like Ikegami and Panasonic).
    JVC wasn't a tube manufacturer. JVC on the tube label doesn't mean the tube is made by JVC but only that JVC wanted a label with their name on it. It was a common practice among TV/monitor manufacturers.

And not all consumer TV's have "A" tubes in them, correct? I know the service manual for the consumer Sony KV-27FV310 for instance has a "M" tube listed as being in it (don't know what others might have them as well).
    Sony and Matsushita made M tubes for some of their TVs, which doesn't mean those tubes have as fine a pitch as a PC monitor though.

N00b of Syougi

Thanks for the detailed information.

Yes.
    Was it Sony or Mitsubishi that made the tubes for the JVC pro line?

Sony and Matsushita made M tubes for some of their TVs, which doesn't mean those tubes have as fine a pitch as a PC monitor though.
    Do you happen to know the dot pitch (or AG pitch), or the TV Lines on the Sony FV310 series? That info doesn't seem to be anywhere and I always wondered...

Hardened Shock Trooper

You mean they're NOT going to kickstart a CRT manufacturing plant?

I've had PVMs in the past, and while they're great, never liked the small screen (the larger PVMs are far too expensive). Plus, I don't know if this is the norm, but I've personally had major issues with my JVC, Sony and Panasonic PVMs in the past for one reason or another, and just got tired of the high prices and constant repair/replacement I had to go through. I attribute my issues primarily with the long hours those monitors were often used in production.

So now, I just have this 25" Sony Trinitron and love it. Found it on Craigslist before the site became a ghost town thanks to LetGo, listed as "Color TV", and got it for 10 bucks. Nary a single issue, looks great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sega Rhea; 03-07-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Chang's Combo Meal #4

Do you happen to know the dot pitch (or AG pitch), or the TV Lines on the Sony FV310 series? That info doesn't seem to be anywhere and I always wondered...
    The series doesn't matter. All Flat Trinitron 29"/27V sets have M68 tubes no matter if they're in US or Euro TVs. The pitch on a 68cm tube cannot be much finer than 0.8mm which is the standard for A tubes of that size. The Nanao MS9 manual has some info for a Matsushita M68 tube that is sometimes used as an alternative to the Toshiba/Hitachi A68 ones and the pitch is 0.72mm. I would expect Sony M68 tubes to be about the same.

Timid Neo Newbie

The Nanao MS9 manual has some info for a Matsushita M68 tube that is sometimes used as an alternative to the Toshiba/Hitachi A68 ones and the pitch is 0.72mm.
    Do you actually have a copy of the MS9 service manual?? If so, is it a soft copy that you would be able to share, please?

N00b of Syougi

The series doesn't matter. All Flat Trinitron 29"/27V sets have M68 tubes no matter if they're in US or Euro TVs. The pitch on a 68cm tube cannot be much finer than 0.8mm which is the standard for A tubes of that size. The Nanao MS9 manual has some info for a Matsushita M68 tube that is sometimes used as an alternative to the Toshiba/Hitachi A68 ones and the pitch is 0.72mm. I would expect Sony M68 tubes to be about the same.
    I always wished they would have released their dot pitch numbers (or AG pitch I guess for Sony's). That's how I judge all TV's. I know my PVM-3230 (32"), which uses an A tube, and has something huge like a 0.90mm AG pitch. Still kills my 27" KV-27FS310 consumer TV in nearly all categories though (where that probably has a finer AG pitch) - really need the 32" FV310 for a fair comparison though.

赤裸裸的汽車人

JVC wasn't a tube manufacturer. JVC on the tube label doesn't mean the tube is made by JVC but only that JVC wanted a label with their name on it. It was a common practice among TV/monitor manufacturers.
    Same exists today for LCD/LED panels. Very few companies actually manufacture those, despite the fact there are many brands that have screens in them.

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.
    This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Picked up a second crt for locals

https://twitter.com/MountainDewFKR/s...68752134479879
    Last edited by AJtheMishima; 03-29-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    ***CLICK HERE FOR FIGHTCADE TUTORIAL***

TWITTER: MountainDewFKR
    PSN: MountainDewFKR
    FIGHTCADE: MountaindewFKR

GAMER > COLLECTOR

Igniz's Servant

Quote Originally Posted by AJtheMishima View Post
    CRTs for a local FGC is something I totally support. Perfect size for multiple set-ups too.

Mr. Big's Thug

Picked up a PVM today. While it's certainly not the "grail" amongst the PVMs, it's still a nice display (to me) that's just in need of some modding.
    It's a PVM-20N5E. A 20", as the model number suggests, 500 TV line display. So no thick scanlines, but having grown up with displays that mostly lacked those (my Commodore monitor for example), the look of thin scanlines is what I've grown fond of. That might make a bit of a heretic amongst CRT fetishists though
    Got it from a store (well, mostly a warehouse full of vintage A/V equipment for sale online, with a lot of broadcast-grade stuff), for a lowly 35. It was untested, but I hooked up my PS1 to it and threw in a random game to give it a try.

Crappy pics aside, it has some cosmetic damage (mostly scuffs and dents in the plastic and top metal cover, as well as a missing Sony badge), but does appear to work just fine, as the tube looks to be in great shape to my eyes, quite sharp even when just testing it with a composite video signal.

The only downside is that this model lacks RGB. The slightly higher end PVM-20N6A/U/E is pretty much the exact same model, except it has RGB inputs and a mode to switch between 4:3 and letterboxed 16:9 in the menu.
    Someone on the Assembler Games forum has figured out that the pads for the RGB inputs and related components are still there, they just need to be populated and the holes drilled in the case for the jacks to fit through. Some wiring needs to be done as well, along with soldering in a resistor on the main board to trick the CRT into getting it to unlock the N6 RGB and 16:9 features, and a button for the RGB line needs to be fitted on the front. It's a little bit of work, but for the price I paid, it'll be a fun project resulting in a great bang for the buck monitor that I'll be able to enjoy some games on, maybe I'll even tackle fixing the cosmetic imperfections. I just need to get a good shelve to put it on, this is one heavy monitor, and I wouldn't be surprised if modern TV shelves just aren't made to hold these bulky tubes anymore

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

Sweet pickup. It's nice to know these are still kicking around. Enjoy!

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrikeMike View Post
    CRTs for a local FGC is something I totally support. Perfect size for multiple set-ups too.
    Yeah man, glad i use a small hand cart to lug these bad boys around. 2 20" crts can get alittle heavy lol
    ***CLICK HERE FOR FIGHTCADE TUTORIAL***

TWITTER: MountainDewFKR
    PSN: MountainDewFKR
    FIGHTCADE: MountaindewFKR

GAMER > COLLECTOR

Igniz's Servant

Quote Originally Posted by AJtheMishima View Post
    Yeah man, glad i use a small hand cart to lug these bad boys around. 2 20" crts can get alittle heavy lol
    That would make things a lot easier. I might have to invest in one. I'm always glad I drive a Jeep to haul my CRTs to any local stuff.

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

12.jpg123.jpg

https://wausau.craigslist.org/vgm/d/...493026104.html

At those prices might as well spend a little more and get it shipped and save time. The guy said in the ad above he just got his GRAIL Mitsuibishi. I guess he needs more GRAILS.

I asked him about his PVM in the listing as he didn't list it yet and he stated to make a honest offer. I offered 150-175ish, potentially a little more since it isn't a good idea to start high when offering.Keep in mind he had no pictures and its a 3 1/2 hour drive one way.

Of course I got told they are going for more on feebay.On there they seem to be going for 250ish+shipping, sometimes being picked up. OEV is just a rebranded 20M2MDU afaik. Pretty cool tube that 37 NEC is, but I rather have a NEC XM29.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 04-06-2018 at 09:52 AM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

Thread Information