CRT Fetish Thread

Dvdx2

n00b
One of the favorite Monitors is probably the 20L5. Unfortunately these CRTs do not last forever. Until then the OSSC and Framemeister may stay in the drawer. What is a good 24" computer crt monitor?

Would love to try out an L5. My aim for his year is to get a BVM 20F1E. Thing is they are getting more and more scarce and prices are rising.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sony FW900

Man, that thing was the beast that everyone wanted back in the day. I never saw one in person though, the biggest computer Trinis I've found were 21's, which are pretty easy to find if you look for the Dell branded ones these days.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Man, that thing was the beast that everyone wanted back in the day. I never saw one in person though, the biggest computer Trinis I've found were 21's, which are pretty easy to find if you look for the Dell branded ones these days.

I have mine hooked up to my xrgb2 and sigma sg. You would really have to see it up close to appreciate how nice the picture looks. Had a opportunity to buy another on Craigslist a few years back for $150 and passed up on it because thought I was spending too much. I haven't seen one for under $500 since and no way am I paying that much for a crt, not even close.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Good call. There's no fucking way I'd spend that much on a CRT.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
50-100 USD is my top limit for a CRT that's not going in a cab. Obviously when cabs come into play I'd be willing to spend a bit more.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Model of my Phillips is :27pt9007D/17. Really dope picture in S-Video and has component and composite inputs. Dunno if it can do the rgb hack but it still has a great picture for retro stuff.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
View attachment 48265

Finally got my crts All set up and ready for action!

Left to right

Sony f520 (consolized atomiswave/dreamcast)
Mitsubushi diamondtron sb750 (Xbox/GC)
sony bvm 14e5e (saturn / ps1)
Sony 20L4 (saturn/ps1/n64/ps2)
Sony bvm 14e5e (spare)

I’ll get some more pics of stuff running on them soon

Looks great, where did you get the units and arcade stick stands from?

Dvdx2

n00b
Looks great, where did you get the units and arcade stick stands from?

Cheers - the stands are actually for laptops; I think they were bought in Argos or Asda. The units are from ikea. Regarding the monitors, four were bought on eBay; the 20L4 was from a local broadcast company.

Prices are now getting pretty daft for good quality pro crts though. Snap them up while you can!

I recently made a Full recap to one of my monitors. It's a Sony profeel pro KX-21hv1s also knowing as sony pvm2130qm.
It was lacking 2 of 3 primary colors and had several issue with geometry. Now it's fully working almost good as i want it to be

I've just to do final adjustments to geometry with some small magnets on the back of the tube and some permalloy stripes to the convergence at the upper left corner

xthWg5a.jpg

exrKuQm.jpg

n3L8ef3.jpg

L1JhP06.jpg

HvGIFki.jpg

v37MRBQ.jpg

vgF9paF.jpg

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
She's a beaut! Reminds me of the PVM-2030, thought I was looking at one actually until I saw the SCART port.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Holy shit you're a mad man for recapping a PVM. Doing a recap for an arcade chassis is bad enough. Well done!!

There was a LOT caps to replace but it worth. It's a tedious task but man! what huge difference!
The colors are so vibrant right now that surpass my other KX-29HV3 (PVM2950QJ) and even my BVM also the brightess and contrast are really but really good
I strong recommend a full recap to this old monitors

I'll soon to do it to my KX-29HV3 for sure

Beckett

n00b
Here's a few pictures from my JVC BM-H1900SU (750 TVL, Shadow Mask):
MVS:
YhZXyCs.jpg

SNES Jr. RGB:
BKnglne.jpg

XlhVmYo.jpgg

PHz67lk.jpg

Sega Saturn:
Iqdtl45.jpg

I've heard a lot of negative things about Shadow Mask, but I think it really works well on the JVC with it's TVLcount.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Looks great! Nice to see some more JVC love in here I just got done messing with the service menu on my TM-H1700G for about an hour. I manually degaussed it and just went to town tweaking. Finally got it how I want it. No RGB but s-video still looks fantastic with the 750 line count. Playing some quality games :p

Screenshot_20180115-001543.jpg

Beckett

n00b
Looks great! Nice to see some more JVC love in here I just got done messing with the service menu on my TM-H1700G for about an hour. I manually degaussed it and just went to town tweaking. Finally got it how I want it. No RGB but s-video still looks fantastic with the 750 line count. Playing some quality games :p

View attachment 48364

Thanks!

I just love the JVC Monitors. They always seem to look good, and have great geometry.

Wish I could comment on your monitor, but my account doesn’t have the privileges to yet, lol.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Thanks!

I just love the JVC Monitors. They always seem to look good, and have great geometry.

Wish I could comment on your monitor, but my account doesn’t have the privileges to yet, lol.

Both of my Panasonics as well as the JVC have great geometry. There has to be something said for the simplicity of the menus as well. Tweaking my BVMs can be much more of an arduous adventure. There certainly aren't as many options with the JVCs/Panasonics, but everything is easy to navigate including the service menu. I was very excited to see all the factory defaults listed clearly in the manual too. Saved a lot of writing.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Have mentioned my setup before, but have not had a camera to snap a pic or two of the screen until recently. In this example - setup of a Sony Trinitron monitor with supergun RGB to VGA running a PCB, with scanline generator.

Was hard to capture something of what it looks like with the naked eye, but I did what I could

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Here's a few pictures from my JVC BM-H1900SU (750 TVL, Shadow Mask):
I've heard a lot of negative things about Shadow Mask, but I think it really works well on the JVC with it's TVLcount.
So does the JVC-BM-H1900SU do 480p? Wasn't able to find that information online from when I had looked it up.
I picked up one a little while ago but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I think I connected it up once to just make sure it would turn on and work.

Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.
I'm also curious in trying to find people to do repairs. If you find someone especially on the east coast let me know. I have a Mitsubishi Megaview that I'd like to get worked on.