CRT Fetish Thread

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I've been a Steelers fan since birth, if that helps hehe.
Might wanna check the map, he's in Eagles territory; Entire other side of the state from The Steel City.

I've always wanted to know, thanks!
'scool

Now, if you had a Multiformat set (L5/D-Series BVM) then it'd be a nice alternative for anything outputting HDMI so as to not take up an RGB/Component input and/or require an external DAC. In that case, I could totally see picking up and Aja or BlackMagic HDMI to HD SDI converter.

embergabor

New Challenger
I got a 25" Panasonic tx-25ck1p CRT not long ago. My girlfriend's father had 3 TVs in his garage that he wanted to throw out since they were just collecting dust. I wanted to get the smallest one, not necessarily with the smallest screen but the one with the smallest footprint. It turned out that the one with the biggest screen was the smallest. It takes up less space than my 21" Gaba crt. The Gaba has much more visible scanlines and a bit sharper image though.
I don't know why but on both of my consumer EuroScart RGB compatible TVs the RGB image is shifted to the left but composite input is displayed correctly in the center. It was an easy fix with the service menu but I don't know the cause.
IMG_2429.jpg

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Might wanna check the map, he's in Eagles territory; Entire other side of the state from The Steel City.

'scool

Now, if you had a Multiformat set (L5/D-Series BVM) then it'd be a nice alternative for anything outputting HDMI so as to not take up an RGB/Component input and/or require an external DAC. In that case, I could totally see picking up and Aja or BlackMagic HDMI to HD SDI converter.

Crap lol. I blew it! lol

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
New set I did a trade for is interesting. Lots of knobs and ports, even you can connect external speakers using the clip type connectors. Nothing really online about it, except an article from New York Times in 1984 saying it has a comb filter and sold for $700.

It is NEC CT-1901A(R). Video will works, sound doesn't with built in or external. It has been sitting in my car for a week. Maybe this weekend I will bring it in for a cleanup, inspection and photos.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Embergabor, it's normal for different signals and sources to a monitor to require V/H size and position adjustment.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
What's the difference between BVM-20FU1 and BVM-20GU1? and the film on the outside, having a smudge, is that ok?

bvm20gu1.png

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
What's the difference between BVM-20FU1 and BVM-20GU1? and the film on the outside, having a smudge, is that ok?

That looks like a big old scratch and will definitely be visible while playing (and would drive me nuts), and I wouldn't buy one like that unless it was super cheap to be honest. Sometimes you can pull the clear anti-glare coating off if it has one (it's like a sheet of plastic over the monitor), but that's never a guarantee (and the scratch could be down to the glass itself which there is little you can do). Worst case scenario you can easily sell just the 4:3 mask for $100, controller for $50, and the controller-to-monitor mounting kit for a good $150+, so you won't ever be out money if that's around what the person is asking for it.

For the difference between models, the 20F1U is 900 TV Lines, the 20G1U is the lower end model at 800 TV Lines.

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'm going to see it Wednesday. $200 for it. Here it is when in game:

bvmgu1a.png

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm telling you...that picture was taken on purpose because of the dark background. Anything even a little bit lighter and you're going to notice that scratch hard-core. You can tell that scratch is extremely bad because in the previous photo with the screen off, the scratch is so prevalent and deep that it casts a shadow on the screen itself....like something has to be REALLY scratched to cast a shadow on the back side of the glass vacuum tube itself.

Like see where the N of MAN hits the X it's not black anymore but a deep purple color? See where the lighter and darker (upper and lower) part of the "N" looks a little blurry as well? Both could very well be the camera...but it's moreso probably the colors defracting through the scratch and doing something funky there. If it's close go and check it out but I would never buy that (well, for $200 I would...but I wouldn't use the monitor itself because it would drive me crazy and I would focus on that large scratched area every single time I played...and if you're not happy with your consumer sets because of some geometry issues...this is going to be worse I think). Sorry to be a bummer but I turned down a 20F1U in my area for this exact reason (although he wanted like $800).

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'm telling you...that picture was taken on purpose because of the dark background. Anything even a little bit lighter and you're going to notice that scratch hard-core. You can tell that scratch is extremely bad because in the previous photo with the screen off, the scratch is so prevalent and deep that it casts a shadow on the screen itself....like something has to be REALLY scratched to cast a shadow on the back side of the glass vacuum tube itself.

Like see where the N of MAN hits the X it's not black anymore but a deep purple color? See where the lighter and darker (upper and lower) part of the "N" looks a little blurry as well? Both could very well be the camera...but it's moreso probably the colors defracting through the scratch and doing something funky there. If it's close go and check it out but I would never buy that (well, for $200 I would...but I wouldn't use the monitor itself because it would drive me crazy and I would focus on that large scratched area every single time I played...and if you're not happy with your consumer sets because of some geometry issues...this is going to be worse I think). Sorry to be a bummer but I turned down a 20F1U in my area for this exact reason (although he wanted like $800).

Thanks a ton for your thoughts on it. It's about a three hour drive for me, each way lol, but I do wanna see it first hand. I told the guy, who was extremely nice on the phone, that I would like to see it in person. I asked about the marks and he said he genuinely doesn't notice them when playing. He did say that it his own experience and I might not like it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

One of mine has a tiny little mark. Not nearly big as that mind you. Mine as at the bottom center or the screen. It took me a while to even realize it was there. The sun had to hit the monitor at a certain angle and cast a shadow on it. Thats when i took closer look. During gameplay and especially if no sun is coming through i dont notice it at all....but its stilll sooooooooort of bugs me knowing its there.

That shit though? I dont think its possible for anyone not to notice thats. Thats one of the worst scratches ive ever seen

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
One of mine has a tiny little mark. Not nearly big as that mind you. Mine as at the bottom center or the screen. It took me a while to even realize it was there. The sun had to hit the monitor at a certain angle and cast a shadow on it. Thats when i took closer look. During gameplay and especially if no sun is coming through i dont notice it at all....but its stilll sooooooooort of bugs me knowing its there.

That shit though? I dont think its possible for anyone not to notice thats. Thats one of the worst scratches ive ever seen

Ya'll are killing my mojo for this! lol. Honestly though, if it is beyond the film that can be removed, I won't get it. Not sure if I'd be ok with it or not. I'll see in a couple days.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks more like the glue residue left over from a sticker being removed. I'd actually ask if it's a scratch instead of debating it here.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Ya'll are killing my mojo for this! lol. Honestly though, if it is beyond the film that can be removed, I won't get it. Not sure if I'd be ok with it or not. I'll see in a couple days.

It's not a bad scratch (if it even is a scratch) and the naysayers should put it in perspective. Try finding an arcade cab monitor that doesn't have an imperfection. Almost impossible. People should spend more time using these things than analyzing minor issues you'll barely notice when playing games. Having said that, point it out to the seller and shoot for $100 sales price.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'll send him a message or call him tomorrow and be more specific. I asked if it was a smudge or scratch and he said it should be able to be buffed out. So... Still unsure I guess.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It's not a bad scratch (if it even is a scratch) and the naysayers should put it in perspective. Try finding an arcade cab monitor that doesn't have an imperfection. Almost impossible. People should spend more time using these things than analyzing minor issues you'll barely notice when playing games. Having said that, point it out to the seller and shoot for $100 sales price.

im actually really not a naysayer on this. This seems like this guy has some really good leads. I'm only commenting on that potential scuff and my experience.

I think some people tend to hold high quality monitors to the standard of a few years ago when these things were being given away for little or nothing. Those guys havent/and probably dont need to adjust to the shifts in the market.

There are straight up animals out there hunting for these things right now and are willing to pay alot (which i hate but it is what is. Luckily i'm pretty much done). thats not to say that you should pay top dollar right with them but when people scoff at great monitors with minor imperfections....yeah "id only pay this or that for (insert monitor) if its in perfect condition or has extremely low hours" is a super common thing ive heard parroted and it doesnt really make sense to me.

....but that doesnt look minor.....but like said above, perhaps its not even a scratch. I know BVMs tend to be straight dynamite in terms of picture quality so if its at all correctable id bite.

again if thats a big scuff i wouldnt fuck with it. It will definitely be distracting.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

It also looks like that pictures contrast was turned down low too as well.

What you said is true, but there is a big difference between a few scratches and what this one looks like. This looks like part of the anti-glare coating is off or sticker residue at best, at worst a big gauge in the glass tube itself. If its just the anti-glare coating it can be buffed to match.

For $200 it seems worth it imo

I hope it can be cleaned up.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It is NEC CT-1901A(R). Video will works, sound doesn't with built in or external. It has been sitting in my car for a week. Maybe this weekend I will bring it in for a cleanup, inspection and photos.

Well I did a test, the sound works fine. :scratch:
It is annoying with no remote. I can switch from the input channel (there seems 2 for composite and 3 for coax) but I could not figure out how to get the input to work. A standard test of VCR on coax and Channel 3 is a negative because I cannot pick channel 3. It needs a rescan or to get the programmed channels removed. It goes 2, 4, 6, etc and the highest is 32. I had to use my Model 2 Genesis with RF adapter set to channel 4 in order to test video and sound. It is a slight bit on the blurry side, but geometry seems fine and the built in speakers are fine too.

Here are the inputs. As you see there are 3 coax input. The Genesis would only put a signal through on one of them (I forget)
Blsmkuxl.jpg

I still have more I can do with this set. It is quite heavier than other 19" I have. It has handles on the sides and little doors where the speakers are. One door is missing. The front panel is missing. I now would also like to know exactly what those inputs and outputs are for. It is a stereo TV. In my test of Genesis games on the coax, Pac-man 2 and Jeopardy did not seem to have any noticable stereo effects, so that is unknown currently.

Other pics in the spoiler

Spoiler:
aFhlS0Yl.jpg

3g7GlL4l.jpg

Front part showing what would be behind the panel if it were there, in 3 pictures. Buttons are a bit sensitive. Still haven not opened for cleaning.
mFCsoaWl.jpg

3j20hl7l.jpg

mPlG0udl.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think any game systems output stereo over the RF connection.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
F34R man, you need to chill a bit. You got a good display, there will be other options close to where you live... FFS driving 6 hours just to check out a CRT.

PLAY SOME GAMES!

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
F34R man, you need to chill a bit. You got a good display, there will be other options close to where you live... FFS driving 6 hours just to check out a CRT.

PLAY SOME GAMES!
You sound like my wife! lol

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I decided that until I can get another scart to bnc breakout cable, I am going to be using my PVM-1353MD via component for my PS2/GameCube/Xbox. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 never looked so good...

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
Any of you know of the samsung GX tv? Restored one recently from a pitiful grave and now im lookin to see if I can replace one of the AV inputs with RGB input instead.
Sound on it is quite amazing.

FAiKToN.jpg

wM9l4Ke.jpg

Last edited: