CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Thanks :) It's actually a CM series monitor. It's very similar in design (looks not features) to a NEC XM29 but older. I haven't found much info on it at all after searching for a fair bit.

I never did find much info on them either. They originally came from Michigan State. Neat 15/24khz tube for sure though. And your setup is looking nice :)

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
Ended up buying it and hauling it home, now to figure out a way to hang it in the wall20170909_125227.jpg

Last edited:

repente

n00b
Hi!
I'm recently registered and just want to greet you :)

I think this is a great group. I'm looking for a 20" PVM but here in Spain the prices are very speculative :-(

I think the best solution is looking at another european market, but I'm afraid of the shipping problems...

I hope to belong to this community soon!
Greetings!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I never did find much info on them either. They originally came from Michigan State. Neat 15/24khz tube for sure though. And your setup is looking nice :)

Thanks Skate! I've been getting some nice playtime in on it :) It's been nice to have some more screen to play with. I was so used to the small PVM I snagged from you in doing Battletoads runs that using the bigger one was a huge adjustment. I'm surprised I've never found more info on the monitor itself. I've done some extensive searches and come up empty handed. I suppose there just might not be much out there online considering it is a monitor from 1992.

haightc

n00b
Yeah, it's pretty damn sharp.

nXmWP12.jpg

I think the TMNT IV pic on the JVC doesn't represent it well. In person it is consumer CRT-like: brighter than the BVM 20F1U and making it look dim in fact (BVM has low hours and normal brightness settings). I think this simple pic gives a better indication:

T8YHWtO.jpg

Which JVC monitor are you using? I have TM-1900SU and a DT-V1710CG, by my my eye they look fantastic. Both of these monitors also to me do a better job with composite and s-video than any my Sony or Ikegami monitors.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I went on a tour at a TV station yesterday. CRTs everywhere!

Well mostly in the back room. In their day-to-day broadcast rooms, it is all LCDs except for one widescreen CRT in the management room. All of their other CRTs were by the server racks. Some where mounted to the racks. Some Sony PVMs around. A lot of Panasonic and some other brand I'm not familiar with, Tele something? (Maybe those weren't monitors) because there also appeared to be some scopes mounted to the server racks also. They had 3 different rack setups. I would say the New, Old, Oldest. Oldest being the ones that had DVD and VCRs (no S-VHS strangely), some betacam and other digital tape systems, some Reel-to-reel systems but they did not look like they were hooked up to anything. The "Old" rack was still used and was the rack that had the monitors attached to it. The new one was just a modern server rack with no AV stuff in it, in the old temperature controlled dust free room type thing.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Which JVC monitor are you using? I have TM-1900SU and a DT-V1710CG, by my my eye they look fantastic. Both of these monitors also to me do a better job with composite and s-video than any my Sony or Ikegami monitors.

I have a DT-V1710CG, great monitor for 480p (Gamecube, PS2, Wii), very clean and sharp.

The one with the SMB pic is the JVC TM-A13SU, compact little CRT with a small footprint. I've read that this thing is something of a successor to the Commodore 1701 monitor that most used with the C64 (very similar specs and picture quality, same manufacturer). This is also my favorite of any kind of display in my possession to play N64, easily beats the PVMs/BVMs which do a poor job with the textured filters, AA and blurry output. With the JVC, all the weird N64 quirks come together in a good way and even 480i looks really nice, like 480p in fact. I imagine high quality consumer CRT televisions are the same way.

b9SWCI9.jpg

2YztmhO.jpg

YAB42Dw.jpg

Oo9t7Y0.jpg

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
A moment of silence for my PVM 20M4U. It gave up the ghost yesterday with a sizzle and a pop.
cjetGUQ.jpg

For now, I don't think I'll be going back to a CRT. I recently purchased a TCL 55P607 4k TV, which has an amazingly low 15ms input lag. I'm really enjoying it with the Framemeister. I plan to eventually replace the Framemeister with an OSSC so that my total input lag will be just under 1 frame.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have that same TV (55P605 from Best Buy with a slightly different remote). It works great with the OSSC, all modes accepted cleanly when testing with a Wii.... whereas nothing but passthrough worked on my Panasonic plasma.

That plasma TV had 40ms lag, making very demanding games (shooters) on even 0ms solutions like the Hi Def NES just noticeably annoying enough to attempt to play. Windows emulators were out of the question (at least 6-7 frames of combined OS lag + emulator lag + TV lag + wireless controller lag). Emulators on Wii are more responsive (1-2 frames?) but still not great with that added 40ms lag.

I may try setting up Retroarch again and see how it handles with only 14ms delay from the TV. I've read some cores have since been updated with reduced inherent lag after testers discovered just how bad they were.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Did the magic smoke come out of the Sony PVM Vigormortis or nug?

If not it may be fixable. In any case it shouldn't be hard for you to find another since you live on the West Coast.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Did the magic smoke come out of the Sony PVM Vigormortis or nug?

If not it may be fixable. In any case it shouldn't be hard for you to find another since you live on the West Coast.

I didn't see magic smoke, but I could smell it. I'll decide whether to hunt down another CRT after I try out an OSSC. The OSSC & TCL P55607 might just be a winning combo for completely replacing a CRT in my setup.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I didn't see magic smoke, but I could smell it. I'll decide whether to hunt down another CRT after I try out an OSSC. The OSSC & TCL P55607 might just be a winning combo for completely replacing a CRT in my setup.

I don't think there is a winning combo for replacing a crt. Your always going to run into some sort of issue and have to adjust settings on whatever your playing with these upscalers. I hear the framemeister is still a better option over the OSSC. That's basing it off some reviews, I never owned a OSSC, only framemeister.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I was looking at the TCL 405 at 450, should I suck it up and spend the extra money for the 607?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I don't think there is a winning combo for replacing a crt. Your always going to run into some sort of issue and have to adjust settings on whatever your playing with these upscalers. I hear the framemeister is still a better option over the OSSC. That's basing it off some reviews, I never owned a OSSC, only framemeister.

Framemeister is the better choice in terms of compatibility with displays and capture devices. However, that's not an issue with the TCL 55p607, because it doesn't have any trouble displaying the OSSC's signals according those those who have tried it. As Mega mentioned earlier, this TV accepted every mode the OSSC threw at it.

Right now, I'm using a Framemeister. It is said to have about 20ms lag, so along with the 55p607's input lag of 15ms, we are looking at 35ms total input lag - just a little more than 2 frames of input lag. With 2 frames of lag, even rhythm games like Bust a Groove are very playable. With the OSSC's lag free output, the total input lag will drop to just under 1 frame.

I was looking at the TCL 405 at 450, should I suck it up and spend the extra money for the 607?
The S405 has the same amazingly low input lag as the P607/p605, but it doesn't have the wide color gamut and brightness of the p607/605. I can't comment on how the S405 looks, because I've never seen one in action, but I can say that images really pop on the p607. Even with scanlines turned on, the image looks bright and vibrant.

Last edited: