CRT Fetish Thread

acampero

Quiz Detective
Hi guys,
Quick question. Does anyone have a good suggestion for getting a good set of Color Bars output to a PVM for calibration settings? Has anyone used the 240p test suite off of a Neo Geo CD hooked up RGB for calibration?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I usually use a supergun so I can use a jamma game test pattern, but the 240p suite works well too.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
So...back from checking out the Sony PVM 2950Q's. Here's my story:
Before I left, I asked for the seller to test them out and send me pics of it running something. Took him days but he did today finally. I was satisfied enough to meet up. I made sure to ask again if these were new and he confirmed yet again they both were new and in their respective boxes when they entered the building they bought. They did however take them out of the boxes to see if there was anyway they could use these things for their business and then threw the boxes away ( I was like damn...I'm a box freak). I felt that this guy could be bullshitting me at this point because without seeing the monitor in the box there's a chance these things were old and used up quite a bit as is. I figure still worth checking out and remind him I only want to buy one because I don't want to spend that much. He's cool with it so I hop in the car for an hour and half drive. I reflect on my early teenage years during this time and how I drooled over the prospect of achieving true RGB graphics from my gaming systems back in the 1990's as the magazine articles and video magazines I read had explained. I was possibly close to achieving it all these years later.
I pull up to the building, they buzz me in and it's a mess inside as they are under construction. I meet with Brad, the guy who was selling the monitors for his company and who I had heckling for over a week by email. He had agreed to let me see them working when I got there and d shows me to the room they're in. There they sat...full if dust from the construction going on but as I gazed closer, looked pretty damn good. I looked all around these suckers for dings, scrapes or cracks....nothing was found. Brad turns on a Pioneer DVD player that is hooked up via Monster SVideo cable. My PVM virgin eyes see this amazing picture of some I Love Lucy bullshit. Shit looks absolutely amazing... Like I can see each individual pixel, clear color separation beauty with scan lines. I begin to picture what my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo and JVC XEye will look like playing through RGB cables if this shit looks looks this good. The guys there with Brad are all staring at me like I'm some dumb fuck living in the past as my eyes are now moist and glaring at Lucille Ball in amazement. Then the best part of all...Brad says " Can you put both of em in your car?" I said I could but sorry I can't pay for both of them man. He then says to me..."eh, just take em both for the price of one man. We're so busy trying to get this construction done we just want all this old shit out" I said sure thing man! Thanks. They even loaded them up for me. The picture on these are the most amazing thing I've seen compared to the best brand new CRT's I looked at back in the day. Words can't describe just how great the picture was. Now, in the next few days/weeks, I need to figure out how to get the most out of them and where to buy the correct cables and sync box...as I read this monitor can be finicky. Lots to learn here but excited for sure to have finally gotten an amazing monitor after all these years.

Sounds like you had a hell of a day. I'm glad these tubes went to what sounds like a good home. If you stick with SCART cables that have composite sync (not composite video) you should be just fine.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Before I left, I asked for the seller to test them out and send me pics of it running something. Took him days but he did today finally. I was satisfied enough to meet up. I made sure to ask again if these were new and he confirmed yet again they both were new and in their respective boxes when they entered the building they bought. They did however take them out of the boxes to see if there was anyway they could use these things for their business and then threw the boxes away ( I was like damn...I'm a box freak). I felt that this guy could be bullshitting me at this point because without seeing the monitor in the box there's a chance these things were old and used up quite a bit as is. I figure still worth checking out and remind him I only want to buy one because I don't want to spend that much. He's cool with it so I hop in the car for an hour and half drive. I reflect on my early teenage years during this time and how I drooled over the prospect of achieving true RGB graphics from my gaming systems back in the 1990's as the magazine articles and video magazines I read had explained. I was possibly close to achieving it all these years later.
I pull up to the building, they buzz me in and it's a mess inside as they are under construction. I meet with Brad, the guy who was selling the monitors for his company and who I had heckling for over a week by email. He had agreed to let me see them working when I got there and d shows me to the room they're in. There they sat...full if dust from the construction going on but as I gazed closer, looked pretty damn good. I looked all around these suckers for dings, scrapes or cracks....nothing was found. Brad turns on a Pioneer DVD player that is hooked up via Monster SVideo cable. My PVM virgin eyes see this amazing picture of some I Love Lucy bullshit. Shit looks absolutely amazing... Like I can see each individual pixel, clear color separation beauty with scan lines. I begin to picture what my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo and JVC XEye will look like playing through RGB cables if this shit looks looks this good. The guys there with Brad are all staring at me like I'm some dumb fuck living in the past as my eyes are now moist and glaring at Lucille Ball in amazement. Then the best part of all...Brad says " Can you put both of em in your car?" I said I could but sorry I can't pay for both of them man. He then says to me..."eh, just take em both for the price of one man. We're so busy trying to get this construction done we just want all this old shit out" I said sure thing man! Thanks. They even loaded them up for me. The picture on these are the most amazing thing I've seen compared to the best brand new CRT's I looked at back in the day. Words can't describe just how great the picture was. Now, in the next few days/weeks, I need to figure out how to get the most out of them and where to buy the correct cables and sync box...as I read this monitor can be finicky. Lots to learn here but excited for sure to have finally gotten an amazing monitor after all these years.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

When I went to pick up a 2950Q from a Craigslist ad it turned out to be a PVM-3230 lol.

Can't argue much with the larger size, but the OSD features on the 2950Q would have been nice.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

Before I left, I asked for the seller to test them out and send me pics of it running something. Took him days but he did today finally. I was satisfied enough to meet up. I made sure to ask again if these were new and he confirmed yet again they both were new and in their respective boxes when they entered the building they bought. They did however take them out of the boxes to see if there was anyway they could use these things for their business and then threw the boxes away ( I was like damn...I'm a box freak).

I felt that this guy could be bullshitting me at this point because without seeing the monitor in the box there's a chance these things were old and used up quite a bit as is. I figure still worth checking out and remind him I only want to buy one because I don't want to spend that much. He's cool with it so I hop in the car for an hour and half drive. I reflect on my early teenage years during this time and how I drooled over the prospect of achieving true RGB graphics from my gaming systems back in the 1990's as the magazine articles and video magazines I read had explained. I was possibly close to achieving it all these years later.

I pull up to the building, they buzz me in and it's a mess inside as they are under construction. I meet with Brad, the guy who was selling the monitors for his company and who I had heckling for over a week by email. He had agreed to let me see them working when I got there and d shows me to the room they're in. There they sat...full if dust from the construction going on but as I gazed closer, looked pretty damn good. I looked all around these suckers for dings, scrapes or cracks....nothing was found.

Brad turns on a Pioneer DVD player that is hooked up via Monster SVideo cable. My PVM virgin eyes see this amazing picture of some I Love Lucy bullshit. Shit looks absolutely amazing... Like I can see each individual pixel, clear color separation beauty with scan lines. I begin to picture what my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo and JVC XEye will look like playing through RGB cables if this shit looks looks this good. The guys there with Brad are all staring at me like I'm some dumb fuck living in the past as my eyes are now moist and glaring at Lucille Ball in amazement.

Then the best part of all...Brad says " Can you put both of em in your car?" I said I could but sorry I can't pay for both of them man. He then says to me..."eh, just take em both for the price of one man. We're so busy trying to get this construction done we just want all this old shit out" I said sure thing man! Thanks. They even loaded them up for me. The picture on these are the most amazing thing I've seen compared to the best brand new CRT's I looked at back in the day. Words can't describe just how great the picture was.

Now, in the next few days/weeks, I need to figure out how to get the most out of them and where to buy the correct cables and sync box...as I read this monitor can be finicky. Lots to learn here but excited for sure to have finally gotten an amazing monitor after all these years.

FTFY.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Stopped by the thrift store today and they had a pile of CRTs sitting outside for free. Ended up coming home with a Sony KV-1311CR on account of the weird RGB ports on the side.

c1913d357e4a8722b904c28e92c04426.jpg

1b49d0f993fed66e97229351de1af8e6.jpg

I have a Hitachi with the same digital RGB jack, but I'd never run across this 32 pin analog one before. From a quick search it looks like the Amiga had a cable available for this port.

I also found the manual online with the pinout too, so it might be a fun project to fool with sometime. The only problem is that it's missing a back foot, but you can't beat free!

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Man...I read all about the HD CRT downsides to pre 480p era gaming but now I see someone selling the elusive Sony KD34XBR960. Does anybody think this TV is worth getting?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If you're just gonna use it with retro stuff, no not really. But the 960 looks good with 1080i content, and 720p upscaled to 1080i didn't look half bad. I haven't seen it natively ingesting 720p but IIRC all the Sonys downscale to 720p to 480p then linedouble.

acampero

Quiz Detective
Man...I read all about the HD CRT downsides to pre 480p era gaming but now I see someone selling the elusive Sony KD34XBR960. Does anybody think this TV is worth getting?

Better off getting a nice big SD Trinitron with Component video connections if you are going to play 240p games.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am at the point where I no longer use my WEGA for gaming. If anyone is in the Denver area, please let me know as you can have it FREE. It is a 32" monster!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah for SD stuff i'd skip the widescreen wegas or almost any of the widescreen crts and go for like a 27" inch 4:3 crt. The only widescreen crt monitor i'd consider is the BVM 32 inch and that's only because it does 240p really well with the added bonus of doing higher res just as excellent if not better. I will say that newer gen games look beautiful on a high quality crt monitor and maybe the KD34XBR960 is great for HD games, but for 2d probably not as great. Not to mention that those widescreen crts weigh about 200lbs.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Stopped by the thrift store today and they had a pile of CRTs sitting outside for free. Ended up coming home with a Sony KV-1311CR on account of the weird RGB ports on the side.

Spoiler:
c1913d357e4a8722b904c28e92c04426.jpg
What a sweet little screen! Congrats on the pick up.

I've been pondering making an offer on a MX 5500 that has been relisted at ebay for over a year... guessing I could get it for a ~30 minute drive and maybe 20€... but I don't have the space to use it and it looks kinda beat up...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What a sweet little screen! Congrats on the pick up.

I've been pondering making an offer on a MX 5500 that has been relisted at ebay for over a year... guessing I could get it for a ~30 minute drive and maybe 20€... but I don't have the space to use it and it looks kinda beat up...

Probably a nerd lure, be cautious or a Fritzl-wannabe will imprison you with said monitor and rape you repeatedly, when he finds out you don't make babies you're as good as dead. fyi.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Somebody on Craig's List gave me this 14 inch Toshiba that's exactly like the 20 inch version I already had.

sOTofCb.jpg

Tested the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. (N64) on it and I'm quite pleased with the results.

8viwvzN.jpg

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Somebody on Craig's List gave me this 14 inch Toshiba that's exactly like the 20 inch version I already had.

sOTofCb.jpg

Tested the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. (N64) on it and I'm quite pleased with the results.

8viwvzN.jpg

Do you hook up the CCTV to those so you can monitor the girls you have captive in the storage crate across town?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member

sOTofCb.jpg

8viwvzN.jpg

I used to have one of those little guys. Such a great little crt!