CRT Fetish Thread

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Here's my BVM-1311 I just bought!
It has the service switches on the inside of the pullout panels/trays. Problem was they were locked and the seller didn't have the keys. When I first tested it out, the sync was set to Internal and I couldn't get a stable image. But for the brief moments it did stabilize, I could tell the image looked good. So instead of drilling out the locks, I ended up learning how to pick them from online tutorials. With a split bobby pin and was able to get them unlocked within a couple minutes:

here is where my setting switches are:

I was able to get it to switch to External Sync and voila!

teh sex
]

Happy I was able to get in easily. Everything looks great, convergence is sweet, straightened up the bowing, perfect image. And now with my new lock picking skills I can begin my career as a master thief!

Nice game to choose for the pics. It looks fantastic and nice work homework on breaking in. There's a lot to be said for the quality on smaller BVMs. Congrats!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here's my BVM-1311 I just bought!
It has the service switches on the inside of the pullout panels/trays. Problem was they were locked and the seller didn't have the keys. When I first tested it out, the sync was set to Internal and I couldn't get a stable image. But for the brief moments it did stabilize, I could tell the image looked good. So instead of drilling out the locks, I ended up learning how to pick them from online tutorials. With a split bobby pin and was able to get them unlocked within a couple minutes:
ldm9JXy.jpg

here is where my setting switches are:
sv2bWIn.jpg

I was able to get it to switch to External Sync and voila!
2VB4Rma.jpg

teh sex
LkHS0ff.jpg

qno54uH.jpg

wfnQC6Y.jpg

fqvWM4m.jpg

qogF1eF.jpg

Happy I was able to get in easily. Everything looks great, convergence is sweet, straightened up the bowing, perfect image. And now with my new lock picking skills I can begin my career as a master thief!

Visual Gold

scottmog

n00b
After years of looking I finally found a PVM-2950q locally for sale. While checking it out at the seller's place I saw that the top of the picture had a slight bowing issue and I figured that it be fixed in the service menu. After going through the service menu I was unable to fix the problem.

View attachment 45596

So off to google I went. I found a post earlier in this topic of a guy fixing his 2950qm with a bottom bow issue by moving a transistor until it made full contact with its solder points (post #3352). So I poked around the back and found a similar (same?) transistor that would correct the problem while pressing on it.

View attachment 45597

After removing the VC board I could clearly see that the solder joints had broken on transistor Q1807.

View attachment 45600
View attachment 45598

After a quick reflow of these points the monitor top bow issue was corrected.

View attachment 45599

Thanks for the info, funny you were talking about a 2950, I just picked one up for free in great working condition last week. Goes with my 2030 and 2530 :)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Nice work and nice monitor! Lock picking is a great skill in the arcade hobby.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yeah it's awesome how many skills/knowledge I've picked up over the years in this hobby. Lockpicking just adds another one to the list! Now every time I see a lock I think to myself, 'I wonder if I can pick that?' Lol :D

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah it's awesome how many skills/knowledge I've picked up over the years in this hobby. Lockpicking just adds another one to the list! Now every time I see a lock I think to myself, 'I wonder if I can pick that?' Lol :D

The next step is practice locks and getting a new deadbolt on your house lol

Dvdx2

n00b

You'll not need your framemeister now... ;-)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

You are the Neo Version of Sam Fisher.

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 3.49.38 PM.png
2 years ago at FreePlay FL. Myself, Owlnonymous, Wyo, and Punkic_cyborg's monitors. Mine are one of the XM29's the 25" PVM and a couple of the 14"s.

Sunken

n00b
Just got a Sony PVM-1450MD for free in Mint condition! :D

Can't wait to receive my SCART to BNC cable to test it...

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
So while I do love my PVM playing in RGB, I miss playing on my 32" WEGA. Can anyone tell me if getting a Component to RGB converter is worth it? Would love to play on a larger screen in RGB.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So while I do love my PVM playing in RGB, I miss playing on my 32" WEGA. Can anyone tell me if getting a Component to RGB converter is worth it? Would love to play on a larger screen in RGB.

It is but it's not going to look the same. You might need to fiddle with the Component to Rgb Converter to get it to look right. Might want to check out Fusion's Rgb to Component unit. I still got my 27 inch Wega in Storage but it's just too much of a pain in the ass to setup.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
It is but it's not going to look the same. You might need to fiddle with the Component to Rgb Converter to get it to look right. Might want to check out Fusion's Rgb to Component unit. I still got my 27 inch Wega in Storage but it's just too much of a pain in the ass to setup.

I will have to check that out.

Thank you!

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have one coming soon, I too, will run it on my 27" wega via my xrgb2+ to fusion box to wega.

Neodogg,

Do you mind putting up some pics when you get it up and running? Would love to see it in action!

Greetings NG. I love CRT gaming, right now I am using a PVM 20L5. I'm aiming to get all my consoles hooked up in RGB, or Component. NES (Analogue NT ver 2), SNES (SFC 1 CHIP), Genesis, Dreamcast (through a Toro box and Extron Rxi) are all RGB right now, but the N64 is still composite. PS2 and Wii are component. I use flash carts in all systems, the DC has a GDEMU, the PS2 is soft modded with a memory card, Wii soft modded with a 1TB USB hard drive, including Gamecube games since its original model Wii. I'd like to add a Saturn with Rhea via RGB, get my orig XBOX via component in there. Its all running through a Extron Crosspoint switch that unfortunately is only 8x4, I need a 12x4 soon. I'd like to buy an RGB modded PC Engine, and get some kind of PC added in for giggles. I have an OSSC but have not yet added an LCD tv to the setup. Right now my main goal is to get a candy cab MAME setup. I'm in California bay area and am told this is the state to be in for acquiring one!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
My SB-2840 ShinyBow is perfect out of the box as well in terms of color balance.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
+1 for the XRGB-2

Still love mine. Plus it does a fantastic job of handling composite and svideo sources.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
On trinitrons the fusion converter is nice. I use it on mine. There are some that prefer using the component cables from that one company, but if you have your scart game set up its simple to just run it into a converter.

embergabor

New Challenger
Got my second CRT for retro gaming. I had a 14" Trinitron previously, but it made a very irritating noise and the geometry was all over the place so I sold it off. A few days ago I tried out an old 21" Gaba CRT (cheap local brand I think) at my grandmother's house. It was working, it had SCART input, so I hauled the thing home only to find out that my Speedlink Playstation RGB cable had no RGB whatsoever. Turns out that the cheap buggers did not connect pin 16 so the scart connector didn't have the RGB mode signal. I soldered a 180 ohm resistor between pins 8 and 16 and that was it. Now the PS1 and PS2 can output a nice and clean RGB signal to the tv. Of course the image quality is not amazing, but for the incredible price of exacly $0 it was a real bargain.
dP4qOsA.jpg wgZer5l.jpg