CRT Fetish Thread

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The chipboard my Ikea unit was made of started to disintegrate so I picked up a cool 1960's? metal desk for $15 locally. Only a stop-gap measure, but I have a place for my CRT's at least...

FVBj1WK.jpg

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The chipboard my Ikea unit was made of started to disintegrate so I picked up a cool 1960's? metal desk for $15 locally. Only a stop-gap measure, but I have a place for my CRT's at least...

FVBj1WK.jpg

Trying this layout (sorry the monitors are cutoff) right now - the left TATE monitor is angled down towards me with a triangle wedge of wood - seems to work well and my neck doesn't hurt staring up at it anymore.

CPMYXGv.jpg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
^ That's quite a set-up. What is the bottom left one with controls on both sides?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
That's a great idea using an old metal desk like that. Those things are super sturdy and can take some real weight. I feel like there are a ton of amazing stands out there that I'd love to use, but I'm worried about it holding the weight of multiple large CRTs.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
After seeing that consider yourself automatically in the "elite" club :keke: That is literally the best stand idea I've ever seen. That is inventive as hell and super compact. When I saw it my mind was blown lol. Fantastic work!! I wish I had the ability to make something like that. My cables are a ridiculous mess.

that is very neat! nice scart switch block, oh and a great choice of consoles.

Thanks guys :)

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Dammit! First post and I friggin double-post. If any mods are cleaning up threads...lol

^ That's quite a set-up. What is the bottom left one with controls on both sides?

That's a BVM-14F5U with about 30K on it. You wouldn't believe what I got it for...($20!). Picture is easily on par with the D20F1U with 17K but it's probably because the smaller size and more densely packed pixels.

Looking good man! Who put those little red and white stickers on the knobs?
I can't get away from you - you're on every forum man! ;) I put those on there - highlighter and a hole punch on some label paper! I haven't memorized the position of all the brightness and contrast knobs yet (those are the only I use on a semi-frequent basis) so I added those to easily adjust those levels. Have blue painters tape up with some card slot numbers and other notes to help with that as well (on the BVM's Channel 1 is RGBs, Channel 2 is YPbPr Component, Channel 3 is composite - I've memorized those at least).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
That's a BVM-14F5U with about 30K on it. You wouldn't believe what I got it for...($20!). Picture is easily on par with the D20F1U with 17K but it's probably because the smaller size and more densely packed pixels.

I have a super low hour BVM-14F5E that's been stored in my closet for quite some time due to my lack of space. Wish mine would have only been 20 bucks :p I'm moving soon and pumped to finally have room to use it. It's an less convenient shape than your regular monitor (long and wide), but it has a fantastic picture. Looks nicer that both my BT-H1390Y and PVM-14M4U. Seeing yours in action got me super excited. Especially seeing SOTN on there :)

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That's a great idea using an old metal desk like that. Those things are super sturdy and can take some real weight. I feel like there are a ton of amazing stands out there that I'd love to use, but I'm worried about it holding the weight of multiple large CRTs.

That desk is diesel. Got it from an office that was clearing out their place, and of course it was on the 3rd floor...totally worth it though. It'll be my regular desk once I figure out how I'm going to display these monitors (tastefully ;) in my living room somehow.

I have a super low hour BVM-14F5E that's been stored in my closet for quite some time due to my lack of space. Wish mine would have only been 20 bucks :p I'm moving soon and pumped to finally have room to use it. It's an less convenient shape than your regular monitor (long and wide), but it has a fantastic picture. Looks nicer that both my BT-H1390Y and PVM-14M4U. Seeing yours in action got me super excited. Especially seeing SOTN on there :)

The F5 was my first BVM. It's front plastic bezel is all jacked up on the sides, but from the front it looks perfect, and the picture truly is amazing. I actually played through SoTN all the way for the first time on it! (don't know how I missed that game back in the day). I literally sat with my head 2-3' away from the monitor since I'm used to my 60" flatscreen lol. I highly prefer the 20" size but the 14" picture really is beautiful. You can also control any other series BVM (which takes the 10R) with the F5's controls too, FYI (haven't dug into the manual to quite figure that out 100% yet however).

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Got a line on a pvm 1943 md for $200. Worth it? I'm considering it for the component inputs I could use..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Got a line on a pvm 1943 md for $200. Worth it? I'm considering it for the component inputs I could use..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great monitor but an older one. 100 is far more reasonable but nowadays good luck on that. I sold my extra 1943MD's for 100 a pop to forum members.

Also pretty sure it's RGB/composite/svid only, I don't think 1943MD's do component video.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

See if it has an On Screen [menu] Display or not. I'm pretty sure the XX53/XX54 series is where they started with that (my 1954 and 1353 has an OSD at least). If my memory serves the XX43 line doesn't - and it that one doesn't, I would pass unless it's the only one you've seen around you for months and months and months. I'm not into manually adjusting pots inside the monitor's case to do something simple like center the image which many times is the only way to do something like that.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
See if it has an On Screen [menu] Display or not. I'm pretty sure the XX53/XX54 series is where they started with that (my 1954 and 1353 has an OSD at least). If my memory serves the XX43 line doesn't - and it that one doesn't, I would pass unless it's the only one you've seen around you for months and months and months. I'm not into manually adjusting pots inside the monitor's case to do something simple like center the image which many times is the only way to do something like that.

I actually mistyped it, it is the 1953.

The manual shows two rgb hookups that double as component. I've got a nice XP29 that I do most of my gaming on but it doesn't do component and I'd like to use this to fill that niche for a couple systems. $200 seemed steep though, but I know pvms have gotten a bit crazy lately

skate323k137

10 Year Member

The manual shows two rgb hookups that double as component. I've got a nice XP29 that I do most of my gaming on but it doesn't do component and I'd like to use this to fill that niche for a couple systems. $200 seemed steep though, but I know pvms have gotten a bit crazy lately

That makes a big difference. With todays (crazy) market, 200 isn't so bad for that model. Big improvements over the 1943md are component video and on screen controls.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

It would be a shame not to feed that monitor RGBs, but $200 is a good deal for it (well, by me in the NJ/NY/PA area at least) if it's 100% functional without any image issues.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
85995ceed2752c206a342f5355301a63.jpg

133d39f32b5db2fdacc98ec508b1f0ab.jpg

Got him down to $150 and it's a very clean monitor. Has the splash guard too but I took it off when moving it.

Testing out the inputs etc now but for some reason none of the knobs work. All the buttons do, and you can adjust all the settings via the menu including volume. Is there some setting that deactivates the knobs so patients in the hospital or something don't mess with them?

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Testing out the inputs etc now but for some reason none of the knobs work. All the buttons do, and you can adjust all the settings via the menu including volume. Is there some setting that deactivates the knobs so patients in the hospital or something don't mess with them?

I know with RGBs cables going into it, ONLY the brightness and contrast knobs do anything. The other adjustment knobs are for other types of connections (what exact connection type I don't know as all mine are RGB). Volume should always work - haven't seen any reference in the manuals to things being locked down ever (maybe turn the user preset off? - the light for "remote" is on which usually means you're in a user preset).

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I know with RGBs cables going into it, ONLY the brightness and contrast knobs do anything. The other adjustment knobs are for other types of connections (what exact connection type I don't know as all mine are RGB). Volume should always work - haven't seen any reference in the manuals to things being locked down ever (maybe turn the user preset off? - the light for "remote" is on which usually means you're in a user preset).

I'm only using rgb currently, I'll test out component tomorrow and check out the user preset too. Thank you!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
IMG_0399copy.jpg

Picked up a Toshiba 27A40 for free. Has component/s-video,composite. Was just recently testing it against my Sony Wega as i currently have a S-video AV Distribution amp that lets me have four outputs hooked up at once. My next project is building a stand for these consoles that is two shelves high to get these consoles off the floor. Also need to setup a groovymame setup on here and get some RGB goodness.

My overall impression is that the geometry and colors are better on the Toshiba, but the Sony wins in the sharpness. It also doesn't help the Sony has to have the tilt at +5 or interference comes into the picture from the stupid microprocessor they put in.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
View attachment 44979

Picked up a Toshiba 27A40 for free. Has component/s-video,composite. Was just recently testing it against my Sony Wega as i currently have a S-video AV Distribution amp that lets me have four outputs hooked up at once. My next project is building a stand for these consoles that is two shelves high to get these consoles off the floor. Also need to setup a groovymame setup on here and get some RGB goodness.

My overall impression is that the geometry and colors are better on the Toshiba, but the Sony wins in the sharpness. It also doesn't help the Sony has to have the tilt at +5 or interference comes into the picture from the stupid microprocessor they put in.

That mass of AC adapters next to the Tosh has me worried.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It looks worse than it actually is. Surge protector is raised off the floor along with a few of them. My whole goal is to have them in the back off the cabinet off the floor with 1ft extenders when I build it along with organizing the cables after I messed them up again.

But yeah I get the notion that it may look like a giant daisy chained fire death trap, but I only have one surge protector plugged in.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
That mass of AC adapters next to the Tosh has me worried.

You definitely don't want to look behind the Phillips crt in my gameroom then.

I got a new TV this past weekend and I wall mounted the old one in the game room. The Phillips CRT is now 100% dedicated to gaming. PS2 via component and Gamecube S-video. I am not even going to entertain finding a Gamecube component cable. I need to get a new VGA box for my Trinitron- its a beast of a VGA crt, even the 360 shumps look fantastic on it.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I finally picked up 2 monitors from skate323k137 over the weekend. He is an awesome guy and was even nice enough to hang on to them until I was able to make the road trip out there. I have a new respect for efficient use of space. Cabs, a monitor, and a projector all in his gaming area. Pretty damn sick set up. He also had a great suggestion to go back home through the UP region of Michigan. It was a beautiful and relaxing drive that was only a couple hours longer than the way we came. My girlfriend absolutely loved the scenery. We are already planning on going back soon! Can't thank you enough skate :)

20170529_115147.jpg

PVM-1341:
Spoiler:
20170529_214917.jpg20170529_214954.jpg

NEC CM:
Spoiler:
20170529_213626.jpg20170529_213139.jpg20170529_213227.jpg

Travel pics:
Spoiler:
20170527_191809.jpg20170527_191716.jpg20170527_191843.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Glad you had an awesome trip and I could spare you driving through Chicago again :lolz:. Now I have to take my wife through the U.P. as well.

BTW I forgot to send you the model number of my projector. My go-to projector model at this point is the sharp xg-c435x. It takes damn near every signal I've thrown at it including straight 240P RGB, and the input lag is really low. It has a game mode (which is really a nice feature), and in game mode it tests down to about 10-20ms lag. Pretty impressive for a projector to say the least.

Anyway man, cheers!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Glad you had an awesome trip and I could spare you driving through Chicago again :lolz:. Now I have to take my wife through the U.P. as well.

BTW I forgot to send you the model number of my projector. My go-to projector model at this point is the sharp xg-c435x. It takes damn near every signal I've thrown at it including straight 240P RGB, and the input lag is really low. It has a game mode (which is really a nice feature), and in game mode it tests down to about 10-20ms lag. Pretty impressive for a projector to say the least.

Anyway man, cheers!

It was a hell of a lot more enjoyable drive! I hadn't drove through Chicago for about 10 years. I'm ready to go another 10. I've always wanted to go the projector route and the lag has always been my main concern. This projector seems to really hit the sweet spot. I love that it's not picky with all the different signals as well. I will definitely be checking this model out. Thanks again :)