CRT Fetish Thread

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Well thats the PVM sold and the B&O. Both I had issues with which was a real shame. As much as I would love a monitor space being an issue I think I'm going to try going down the upscaler route.

Now decisions decisions, do I pay the rising prices of a Framemeister, wait for a successor to the Framemeister or get an OSSC?

Any advice?

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
OSSC for sure. New version is out soon (1.6). I have mine paired with a DVDO VP30, absolutely loving it.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Bear in mind I'm in the UK and already have RGB all I really want is something that will give me a clean image through my HDTV and a scanline generator. That being said is the OSSC still my best option?

Currently when I run my older consoles through my HDTV via RGB Scart they actually look pretty good with pretty much no lag that I can sence so I must have a good tv (Plasma Samsung)

Suggestions are welcome on what I may need as personally I dont feel I need to spend mega money to get what I am after.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
The OSSC is still your best option. There are cheaper options, but they all have various irritating flaws. If your TV has a vga port then an XRGB2 is a good option, but it won't be much cheaper than the OSSC and they're getting old now.

Frameneister...meh, if you're not lag sensitive and don't mind the price it's ok. I didn't like it very much, compresses colour and the lag was a bit of a problem with platformers and shmups. It does have the advantage of the pre made FBX profiles though.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
You guys have some sick setups. I have a 13" pvm for my consoles in the garage, and a 20" 20M2MDU (got 13" for free, 20" for 50$) that I run all my main consoles on via a gscart switch. Hope to throw a few pics up once I can and join the PVM club.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Picked up this JVC TM-H1700 today, really nice picture I'm liking it a lot. Only composite and S Vid inputs but still fun for a few things like my NES.
131e94bf63d20655c1b923de30946296.jpg
b42754cd0b2f69b0e5c57a794b693fdb.jpg
758014ba84f49a0123afc7870c6dd81f.jpg

For composite it looks really sharp.

That's how I found my 40 inch MegaView. Some weird dude who'd just moved into an abandoned house the bank sold off found it inside and was offering it for free... The places where you find these things sometimes...lol

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
I got this Hantarex array monitor a while back. It has RGB SCART, which is nice, but the quality is pretty whatever. Has some nasty barrel distortion that I'm still trying to figure out how to dial out. It's probably not going to stick around very long, but it's a cool piece.

17952730_10158521505500333_6671473880351204926_n.jpg
18010411_10158521506720333_3255881105855282344_n.jpg
17883837_10158521508165333_7637227185127975551_n.jpg17990876_10158521510255333_5354195469059974431_n.jpg
17952642_10158521510270333_5592812682910058873_n.jpg

Charlie97L

n00b
Bear in mind I'm in the UK and already have RGB all I really want is something that will give me a clean image through my HDTV and a scanline generator. That being said is the OSSC still my best option?

Currently when I run my older consoles through my HDTV via RGB Scart they actually look pretty good with pretty much no lag that I can sence so I must have a good tv (Plasma Samsung)

Suggestions are welcome on what I may need as personally I dont feel I need to spend mega money to get what I am after.

They're both great, and have pros and cons.

Regarding the Framemeister, they're still selling stock out of Solaris Japan until they're out of chips. They're preordering for each batch as it comes in!

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My XBR960 got the blinking red lights, no picture...Usually unplugging it & powering it back works but so far no worky...Now i have to recycle this heavy bitch. :very_ang::crying:

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Heres a few pics of my old setup:
zzRBcXZl.jpg

jOkbl1Ql.jpg

Building a new stand for all my consoles (in the process of doing a NES and N64 RGB mod) so it currently is in a shambles.

SCART switching will revolve around a Gscart

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
My XBR960 got the blinking red lights, no picture...Usually unplugging it & powering it back works but so far no worky...Now i have to recycle this heavy bitch. :very_ang::crying:

Might be the power supply. I know on one of the HD Wegas I have that happens to them and you usually need to replace a IC.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Might be the power supply. I know on one of the HD Wegas I have that happens to them and you usually need to replace a IC.

About 10 years back I had the same issue with a 36" beast. It has this high pitched pinging sound with the red light blinking. I could only hear it if the room was silent, but it was noticeable. It turned out to be a power supply issue. I had a TV repair shop fix it for me since I didn't know what I was doing.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
So an update on that Mitsubishi XC3715C I am picking up. I solidified everything with the guy who has it and I am picking it up the day after I pick up the NEC monitor and PVM I'm getting from skate :) My only concern is the pic he sent me regarding the screen. As you can see in the pic the upper right corner is a pinkish to red hue to it. He said he left it on for awhile and then used the degauss button a few times and it wouldn't completely go away. Do you think using the degaussing wand will take care of this? I've had a few CRTs with light pink or green in the corners I've fixed with a degaussing coil, but I haven't messed with one looking that dark in the corner. I suppose I can try using some magnetic strips if that doesn't clear it up. I still need to do that to my BVM anyways. He said it hasn't been stored by any kind of speakers or anything, but unfortunately he doesn't have a degaussing wand to try on it. For some reason he said he thought it might be from the internal speakers near the top. I just don't know how a shielded speaker would become unshielded. I can certainly snag it and mess with it at home, but it is over 200 pounds and I am driving across a few states with 2 other monitors as well. What do you guys think? I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna snag it no matter what and mess with it at home. I guess I could always bring my degaussing coil with and see what that does before I pick it up.

crt-20170426_150608.jpg

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Sometimes the degaussing button isnt strong enough, I would bring your coil and ask the dude if you can try it before you go through all the trouble of dealing with a 200 lb tv back to your house.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
So an update on that Mitsubishi XC3715C I am picking up. As you can see in the pic the upper right corner is a pinkish to red hue to it. He said he left it on for awhile and then used the degauss button a few times and it wouldn't completely go away. Do you think using the degaussing wand will take care of this? I've had a few CRTs with light pink or green in the corners I've fixed with a degaussing coil, but I haven't messed with one looking that dark in the corner.

I guess I could always bring my degaussing coil with and see what that does before I pick it up.

View attachment 44378

With how it's segregated to one corner, I would suggest fucking around with any orientation settings on the monitor before taking any external degaussing coil or perma-alloy strips. I have a slightly newer version of that line of a monitor, the 3730c which has an OSD with an adjustment for that sort of thing, but even the older AM-Series monitors have little N-S/E-W switches for that sort of thing.

Failing that, I'd also make sure that purity rings on the neck of the CRT itself haven't been jostled out of position in the 20-25 year since the monitor was released. I had a similar issue with mine and adjusting those rings cleared it up almost entirely.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
With how it's segregated to one corner, I would suggest fucking around with any orientation settings on the monitor before taking any external degaussing coil or perma-alloy strips. I have a slightly newer version of that line of a monitor, the 3730c which has an OSD with an adjustment for that sort of thing, but even the older AM-Series monitors have little N-S/E-W switches for that sort of thing.

Failing that, I'd also make sure that purity rings on the neck of the CRT itself haven't been jostled out of position in the 20-25 year since the monitor was released. I had a similar issue with mine and adjusting those rings cleared it up almost entirely.

Thanks for the input! Nice to hear from someone with experience with this series of monitor. Totally forgot about the purity rings too. Hopefully they're not glued down if it gets to that point. When I get there I will mess around with the switches and see what that does first. I think no matter what I'll bring it home and tweak from there.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Thanks for the input! Nice to hear from someone with experience with this series of monitor. Totally forgot about the purity rings too. Hopefully they're not glued down if it gets to that point. When I get there I will mess around with the switches and see what that does first. I think no matter what I'll bring it home and tweak from there.

Just remember to bring a little razorblade/box cutter of some sort; At most you should expect to find a little bit of gunk slopped onto them to hold them in place, and with how old it would be at this point, it's very liable to just crumble apart as soon as you apply the lightest amount of pressure. That said, if they're anything like the rings on mine, if you're fiddling around with them for anymore than 10 or 15 minutes, they're liable to make your fingers a bit sore. They're relatively pointy, especially in comparison to those on PVMs.

it's really worth getting it if you have space, even if you can't fix it, just to preserve the thing. It's such a beautiful rarity.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
A buddy of mine recently came across a JVC TM-H150CG. I believe its missing the RGB card though. Is this a decent model?