CRT Fetish Thread

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
You need to supply 12v to pin 8 to auto switch to 4:3.
Unfortunately you don't have a 12v source in the SNES, so usually only 5v is pased to Pin8, hence the 16:9 aspect ratio.

View attachment 44234

A workaround here is to supply an external 12v source to the scart plug itself, or some sort of charge converter to go from 5v to 12v...

Ah ok thanks so it's completely normal then? What's the easiest fix for this or is it better to just accept it and change the ratio each time?

Any advice on my 60Hz picture shimmer issue at all? Both my Mega Drive and SNES are pal modded with 60Hz switches. When in 60Hz only I get a shimmer or slight shaking of the picture. Both cables are Csync cables.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Ah ok thanks so it's completely normal then? What's the easiest fix for this or is it better to just accept it and change the ratio each time?

Any advice on my 60Hz picture shimmer issue at all? Both my Mega Drive and SNES are pal modded with 60Hz switches. When in 60Hz only I get a shimmer or slight shaking of the picture. Both cables are Csync cables.

Sorry, not sure i can help on the shimmer issue... UK B&O sets native to 50hz?

If you have the Beo4, then just map the aspect ratio function to the remote. I have heard of people adding in charge pumps to go from 5v to 12v and ending up with interference... May be something to consider living with. As to programming the Beo4... I forget, but can probably track it down if needed.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thank you but I actually have the Beo1 remote and not the Beo4. I'll just live with that issue I think. Hoping someone can chime in on the slight picture shake issue tho.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
You need to supply 12v to pin 8 to auto switch to 4:3.
Unfortunately you don't have a 12v source in the SNES, so usually only 5v is pased to Pin8, hence the 16:9 aspect ratio.

View attachment 44234

A workaround here is to supply an external 12v source to the scart plug itself, or some sort of charge converter to go from 5v to 12v...

My Pal Sega Mega Drive does this same issue as well so does that console also not supply the right power to the correct pin?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Thanks dude! Will definitely post up some pics of it working once done. A few guy's I know from the PC Engine scene have already performed this mod on their LaserActive's and say the RGB out for the PAC's looks amazing. Kinda what I'm more excited on overall. And yes the dual monitor action comes in fantastic when playing console ports of fighting games on them! The house favorite at the moment on them is SFZ3 on the JP Saturn. Here's a pic of it from a few months back before I reorganized my entire living room setup. Lol taking great pics of CRT's is an art of it's self! Need to bring up them skills!

So much awesomeness in this pic. So many things in the background to appreciate :) Also, my fighting game life needs more SFA3 in it. It's been forever since I've played it. I should have a large 2 monitor set-up soon. I'm picking up another NEC monitor from skate next month. It will take some time, but I will get some pics up as soon as I have it set up :)

P.S. I feel your pain with CRT pics. It takes special forms of wizardry lol

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Nice! What hardware are you using for the dual monitor setup?

Thanks dude! For my Scart RGB setups I'm using a Scart to Component converter along with y adapters to split the signal. For anything else Composite or S-Video I simply use the outputs on the monitor to send the signals from those inputs into the secondary monitor.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
So much awesomeness in this pic. So many things in the background to appreciate :) Also, my fighting game life needs more SFA3 in it. It's been forever since I've played it. I should have a large 2 monitor set-up soon. I'm picking up another NEC monitor from skate next month. It will take some time, but I will get some pics up as soon as I have it set up :)

P.S. I feel your pain with CRT pics. It takes special forms of wizardry lol

Lol yeah man I got plenty going on in the background peeping out to say hello! Dude you'll be totally set once you get that second NEC monitor. Some Zero 3 is definitely a must have in a 2D fighters game selection. A banging ass game like that on two banging ass RGB monitors will definitely deliver a super banging ass fun time! Be sure to post up some pics once your all setup!

nam9

Zero's Secretary
My Pal Sega Mega Drive does this same issue as well so does that console also not supply the right power to the correct pin?

Very few consoles do. This page is an excellent reference for console AV wiring. Only the Dreamcast and Xbox look to have >+5v available to work with from the AV port. If you are using a scart switch then you could wire in an external +9.5-12v source between the switch and TV. Kind of like this visually (clearly not RGB...).
Not sure if there are any off the shelf products out there though...

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Decided to sell the B&O. Knew the picture would not be as good as my PVM but it is too far off its not for me. The image has a wobble to it with every system I try with all different types of RGB leads. It has a shimmer to it and almost looks like a interlaced image. There must be some sort of processing going on when running RGB. That only happens when in 60Hz mode but thats how I want to play my games. The PVM handles everything so much better.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Decided to sell the B&O. Knew the picture would not be as good as my PVM but it is too far off its not for me. The image has a wobble to it with every system I try with all different types of RGB leads. It has a shimmer to it and almost looks like a interlaced image. There must be some sort of processing going on when running RGB. That only happens when in 60Hz mode but thats how I want to play my games. The PVM handles everything so much better.
pfew, that sucks... didn't know there could be those kind of issues, pretty much ruins the trust I had in B&O... Could you post a few pics of the wobble/shimmer? Would be good to have for future reference and I'd like to see how it looks myself.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
pfew, that sucks... didn't know there could be those kind of issues, pretty much ruins the trust I had in B&O... Could you post a few pics of the wobble/shimmer? Would be good to have for future reference and I'd like to see how it looks myself.

Here is a video of the shimmer, very hard to pick up on video and sorry for my poor camera work but look at the numbers and you can see it. Remember its not much but when the whole screen does this in 60Hz its very annoying and hard not to notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaWth2A2_U

Here are some screenshots of how the video quality is

Does not look too bad here but its almost like the picture is interlased?

5dqou0.jpg

2iuyfki.jpg

au8evl.jpg

2epovw8.jpg

o9kfq1.jpg

16id2td.jpg

The screen shots dont look too bad but its the shimmering that really spoils the picture.

All I can think of is this set has some sort of problem with 60Hz or has some processing that makes the 60Hz signal do what it does.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
thanks for those pics and the video especially. you're right it does look like some kind of processing is going on, a real shame too. i can understand you don't want to settle for that.

could there be a service menu or sth. where you might be able to turn it off?

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Picked up this JVC TM-H1700 today, really nice picture I'm liking it a lot. Only composite and S Vid inputs but still fun for a few things like my NES.
131e94bf63d20655c1b923de30946296.jpg
b42754cd0b2f69b0e5c57a794b693fdb.jpg
758014ba84f49a0123afc7870c6dd81f.jpg

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find anything to turn it off. It's a real shame as apart from that it looks great. Play a DVD on this thing and it looks stunning!!! The screen is super sharp and so smooth it's just not that great for gaming in my opinion.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yes I forgot to mention that you need to bring help for this. Nobody needs to fuck up their backs so if you can't lift it then bring extra help. Hell you might even consider paying someone. Also I believe with this monitor you will need a syncstrike or some sort of sync cleaner.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm headed out to MI to pick up a couple monitors from skate in the near future. Hopefully I can snag this then too. I reached out to them just a moment ago.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yes I forgot to mention that you need to bring help for this. Nobody needs to fuck up their backs so if you can't lift it then bring extra help. Hell you might even consider paying someone. Also I believe with this monitor you will need a syncstrike or some sort of sync cleaner.

Not for straight Neo at least anyway.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
It's on hold for me and I'll be picking it up in a few weeks. I'll have to post pics of all 3 no monitors I'm grabbing :)