CRT Fetish Thread

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
At least on OFW, I'm pretty sure you can only run VC stuff from NAND, not SD; There may be a way around it with CFW (ignoring EmuNAND), but not that I'm explicitly aware of.

oh ok that makes sense

I believe Let's Tap is all I tried, didn't bother with checking more once I saw this wouldn't do 60hz even when I told it to. NTSC version of the game if it matters.

all the games im playing right now are NTSC and all of those seem to work fine with force PAL60 except that one game. I'm not sure about Let's Tap but i have noticed that some games require individual tinkering. like sometimes you have to go to the main settings and set it to PAL60 and if that doesnt take then select the game, go to its settings and set that to PAL60. If that doesnt work then you are where i am with stupid DKCR

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
So what are the good choices if you cant get a XM PVM or a BVM rgb monitor ? I would want something I can carry without murdering my back. I see good deals on wegas, Trinitrons and XBRs. What would be key?
Would love this but I cant lift it and I don't exactly see myself talking a friend into helping.
https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/6031183880.html

Thats a great deal. I have a XBR and its great for certain sets up's but not great for others. S-video looks great through it, a normal nes through composite a/v looks pretty nice but some games with certain backgrounds look weird when they move, like darkwing duck for example. Some systems with scart cable / component converter look really nice, other give me jail bars...but wont on my other CRT. So its picky about that. PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, 3DO, CDZ, through component or s-video all look really really nice on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
a normal nes through composite a/v looks pretty nice but some games with certain backgrounds look weird when they move, like darkwing duck for example.

It's probably the comb filter it uses. Those Sony sets use some of the best ever made, and it's great for video sources but does weird things to games. My HDTV is like that, NES looks awful but a laserdisc or vcr looks surprisingly good.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
It's probably the comb filter it uses. Those Sony sets use some of the best ever made, and it's great for video sources but does weird things to games. My HDTV is like that, NES looks awful but a laserdisc or vcr looks surprisingly good.

Is there anything that can be done to turn that off or adjust it out? Or is it just there and thats that? But yep sounds about right, some stuff looks great, other stuff meh or weird.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some high end sets will let you adjust it, it may say "Y/C separation" or something, but most don't. Otherwise, mod the NES for better video outputs or use the VC/emulator on a Wii, it looks incredible in 240p component.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Some high end sets will let you adjust it, it may say "Y/C separation" or something, but most don't. Otherwise, mod the NES for better video outputs or use the VC/emulator on a Wii, it looks incredible in 240p component.

That would be nice, I'll check that out. Thanks!

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
on my 24 inch SANYO via s-video. I pulled it out of a spare closet and finally hooked it up. The next step is component via scart. Once I get that going Ill probably take more shots. Doesn't look half bad however it needs to be sharper.

superss.JPGtvss.JPGzelda2ss.JPGzeldass.JPG

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Finally got a RGB SCART switch box from Wyo and RGB cable from Xian Xi for my CMVS.

yS8MEud.jpg

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
so whats the best way to hook up a Dreamcast with VGA to my PVM for 480p?

i've heard suggestions of using an extron switch but i dont know a damn thing about it and i dont know where to begin on htat. Also i know that VGA is RGBHV and i need to somehow turn that signal into something my PVM can use.

what do you guys use?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Extron have a product called Emotia and it comes in various flavours depending on the job. They can convert VGA to RGBS 15khz.

I would personally use a good VGA PC monitor, your luck in finding an Emotia suited to your needs may be difficult.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah i just want something that can work with the equipment i have. i'll get an extron if i need to but it looks like i may not need to

so the Toro can process the different sync signals as well...didnt know that.

ok so how do i connect it? can i just get a VGA to BNC or SCART cable or can i just use the SCART out on the Toro?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah i just want something that can work with the equipment i have. i'll get an extron if i need to but it looks like i may not need to

so the Toro can process the different sync signals as well...didnt know that.

ok so how do i connect it? can i just get a VGA to BNC or SCART cable or can i just use the SCART out on the Toro?

Does your monitor support 31 khz? If not then just get a regular scart cable, there's nothing to be gained by using a VGA cable and then messing with the signal to get it to display on a SD tube.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Does your monitor support 31 khz? If not then just get a regular scart cable, there's nothing to be gained by using a VGA cable and then messing with the signal to get it to display on a SD tube.

i do already have a SCART cable for my dreamcast but im trying to get 480p

I have a multiformat monitor it takes everything you can throw at it.

the reason why i want to use it on my PVM is because id rather have a one stop shop solution for as many SD consoles as possible. If DC was an HD console the by all means i'd hook it up to my widescreen monitor and be done with it. Thats what i was doing before but im looking for something different now.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
niiice.

I see a windy city gaming supergun in the mix.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
i do already have a SCART cable for my dreamcast but im trying to get 480p

I have a multiformat monitor it takes everything you can throw at it.

the reason why i want to use it on my PVM is because id rather have a one stop shop solution for as many SD consoles as possible. If DC was an HD console the by all means i'd hook it up to my widescreen monitor and be done with it. Thats what i was doing before but im looking for something different now.
You probably just need a Dreamcast vga box and a vga to 5 bnc cable that Monoprice sells. The cable splits the signal into RGBHV bnc connectors. Add a slg if you don't want 2d games to look like ass.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You probably just need a Dreamcast vga box and a vga to 5 bnc cable that Monoprice sells. The cable splits the signal into RGBHV bnc connectors. Add a slg if you don't want 2d games to look like ass.

RGBHV is 5 a bnc connection but my monitor is 4 bnc RGBs. probably should specify that im using a 20L5

Dont i need the to combine the 2 HV lines into 1 composite sync line? Also i dont know what a sig is.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Okay then, you need something to combine the sync. A Toro vga box or a Kenzei would do the job.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Okay then, you need something to combine the sync. A Toro vga box or a Kenzei would do the job.

ok got it. so i just need to get one of those boxes.

but then how do i connect it?

Dreamcast > TORO > then the TORO has VGA out and SCART out. Can i use the SCART out to 480P? Or am i gonna need to go VGA to some sort off adapter?