CRT Fetish Thread

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
What PVM do you have? Sony PVM will have a secondary service menu that can usually be accessed by pressing "Menu then Menu +Degauss at the same time" Lots of adjustment in there just be careful if you change anything make sure you make a note of what the settings values were before you changed things as if not careful you can mess up things big time!

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
What PVM do you have? Sony PVM will have a secondary service menu that can usually be accessed by pressing "Menu then Menu +Degauss at the same time" Lots of adjustment in there just be careful if you change anything make sure you make a note of what the settings values were before you changed things as if not careful you can mess up things big time!

It's not a pvm unfortunately... sony kv-27fs100

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Ok in that case search online and download yourself a pdf of the service manual for he TV and go from there. There will be a service manu you can uaually access with a few button presses to alter the picture.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Can anyone offer up any help with the following picture.

I have a Sony 20l2 PVM SNES (Non 1 Chip Version) hooked up with a RGB C-Sync cable from retro gaming cables. On some colours im getting as to what looks like colour bleed.

Take a look at the screenshot of Mario and you can see what I mean. This is a very close up shot but is this normal? Its a early SNES and not the 1 Chip version with much better RGB. I have to admit compared to my Sega Mega Drive RGB the SNES is crap.

Maybe I have just answered my question but wanted to ask anyway. Is it my SNES or something wrong with the PVM?

Is this a normal picture from a PVM and SNES?

I have adjusted loads on the PVM and got it pretty much as good as it can look. Its a 600 line PVM and overall looks great just the SNES looks a little off in places.

Here is the picture in question look at mario looks like colour bleed of sorts from the right of the character sprite.

However its fine in other places, take a look at the second shot of the SMB3 Title Screen and the picture is great. Its almost like certain colours cause the bleed affect. Just wondered if this is normal or not?

Think I have been spoilt by playing too many games via HDMI lol

20170305_220825_resized.jpg

FB_IMG_1487970749528_resized.jpg

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
As a non-1CHIP SNES, the picture you're going to get is going to be soft and smeared slightly. This is worse with certain models, so it's possible that you just happen to have one of those.

Had you not said what sort of SNES you had, I'd suggest that it might be that your monitor is a bit out of focus, and perhaps could do with a bit of a convergence adjustment.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not all PVM's have this function. Some need manual pot adjustment such as the 2730qm

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Cheers yeah it's a older SNES. Think I may look into getting a 1 Chip. I have also manually adjusted the focus as well as convergence so the picture is about as good as it's going to get for this pvm. While it is good iv been told that some of the 800 line pvms look even better so may have to pick one of those up in the future. Mega Drive looks amazing on this monitor as does the GameCube in RGB.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I hate to say it but it's a night and day difference between a 1chip and non-1chip. A friend had his console over once, which we swapped in place of mine (hooked up to a PVM 2950Q via RGB) and I could instantly tell it looked razor sharp.

I might track one down some time myself.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah, non 1 chip SNES/SFC machines have terribad video. Almost like when a camera is slightly out of focus.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Here's what my 1 Chip SNES looks like on a 20L2

33142300162_b6331685a9_b.jpg

33142299522_a29b6cefb5_c.jpg

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
So what are the good choices if you cant get a XM PVM or a BVM rgb monitor ? I would want something I can carry without murdering my back. I see good deals on wegas, Trinitrons and XBRs. What would be key?
Would love this but I cant lift it and I don't exactly see myself talking a friend into helping.
https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/6031183880.html

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Not really a fan of HD CRTs.* Don't get that one unless you have a really niche use case where it makes sense. There are normal CRTs abound which are far more suitable for retrogames.

*Other than replacement monitors in beatmania IIDX cabinets. Then I'm a fan.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener

Looks great mate. Just out of interest care to share any picture setting changes you may have made on yours? How does a test grid look like for the geometry if you have 240p test suite?

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener

Picture looks great from your 1 Chip!

Also just to compare here is my older 2 chip snes with similar shots taken with my note 3, running the colour tone of the PVM on the D95 option. Also in RGB.

20170307_202849_resized.jpg

20170307_203041_resized.jpg

Here is a shot of my pal Mega Drive also in RBG 50Hz, the picture so much better and sharper from the Mega Drive compared to my SNES!

20170304_110304_resized.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
So what are the good choices if you cant get a XM PVM or a BVM rgb monitor ? I would want something I can carry without murdering my back. I see good deals on wegas, Trinitrons and XBRs. What would be key?
Would love this but I cant lift it and I don't exactly see myself talking a friend into helping.

While there seems to be a bunch of the 36" Trinitrons out there, you can also find them in 27" and 32" sizes. Personally, I would go for a 27" SD Trinitron.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Personally, I would go for a 27" SD Trinitron.

Yup, late model component capable if possible. These sets have nicer 3 line digital comb filters so if you have some composite only systems they'll look their best. Plus, being newer they have more of a chance of having less hours on them.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

You're are better off steering clear of HD CRT's for your retro gaming purposes. Stick to SD units.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I've had several that have it. A lot of the later model CRTs before HD CRTs had component input and take 240p/480i happily (but not 480p)

i recently sold my samsung crt that had component. DAMN good set but unfortunately i had to make room.

i find that a TON of later model SD CRT have component so it shouldn't be hard at all to find a good one at a thrift shop or something.