CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As long as speakers are magnetically shielded they should be fine near a CRT. PC speakers are usually a safe bet, although I don't see anything in the listing that specifically says they are shielded.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thanks for the reply maybe someone can suggest some good speakers to use? I dont want anything too big as im probably going to have them on top of the PVM.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have been using Logitech Z333 speakers and they sound great!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
So I ran into some dilemma. I was going through my various media types (VHS/LD/BD) to see what audio formats they used. Just a sampling to get a feel, when I ran across this situation: a 4:3 BluRay. Specifically, it is Star Trek: The Next Generation: Best of Both Worlds.

20170227_183308_zpssoefyux5.jpg

So now I have the thought, do I need another BD player for my 4:3 setup. It would be fine to get one cheap, that has component output as it could replace my DVD player also. And then I can get the VCD card for Saturn to replace the VCD playback... as well as being able to play Saturn on that screen. But before making such an investment, I figured I should test. Now I couldn't easily test BD playback on my Trinitron because I didn't want to disassemble and move things around. Also, it is possible that a BD player on component will display differently than my test, which is a PS3 on composite. Alas, I do not have the cable to connect PS3 to component. But I happen to have a 9" PVM with composite input, it will do well enough. I am primarily going to be looking at aspect ratio, and I would suspect that any BD Player with a component and/or composite output will work on a 4:3 display.

So here is the PS3 video output settings, set on 480P (the PVM itself says 480i) and it takes up the full screen:
20170227_183052_zps95hh2fic.jpg

My concern was that perhaps a 4:3 BD was going to force letterbox, and its hard to tell here but the main menu (as well as the previews) were actually in 16:9 Letterbox. BTW it is impossible to read most of the text on a 9" screen.
20170227_183638_zpsz857ocl1.jpg

We know STTNG has no widescreen version as it was filmed in 4:3. And fortunate for us, Paramount didn't try to do that fake widescreen treatment like what was done with TFTM. Here is the content itself. It is letterbox and with spots on the side. So the content is not actually in full frame? Am I to suspect that the issue here is the with PS3 itself causing this, is it something with its BD playback ability? I did not try to do a 4:3 DVD, I should have now that I think of it.
20170227_183713_zpsh4i6mfah.jpg

And it may be hard to tell in this pic. This is the same BD but being output to 1080P on HD TV. It is not letterboxed and is full frame as far as the top and bottom of the screen. Of course there is black on either side.
20170227_183954_zpsxrh3puip.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Tripredacus:

The 4:3 Transformers the movie bluray does the same thing with my PS3 when hooked to a SDTV. I figure it must be a setting in the PS3 but I haven't figured it out. 4:3 DVDs play full screen. Maybe the PS3 just assumes every bluray is widescreen.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Quick help needed please. So I picked up the following cable to route my audio from the pvm to my external pc speakers

20170301_203808_resized.jpg

When I connect my left and right bnc phono cables to this adapter the picture goes from looking normal to the colours being completely off.

Can anyone tell me why this is and how to fix it please?

I have a Sony PVM 20L2, SNES connected via female RGB scart bnc breakout cable to SNES RGB cable.

The sound works perfectly but picture is messed up.

Before:

20170225_124709_resized.jpg

After taking out audio from PVM and putting both phono cables to the adapter:

20170301_203918_resized.jpg

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
That sort of inverted image is from a grounding issue. If it only happens when you make use of that cable, I'd say there's either something not right with the way it's wired or the audio cables on your breakout cable are wired.

More than likely, the adapter rather than the breakout, I would think.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thank you for the info can anyone recommend a better cable for me to use?

Also lets say I dont use that cable even if I unplug the one phono input going into the pvm for sound that picture change happens. Could the issue maybe be my bnc cable?

Its almost like I need one of the two phono leads from the breakout cable to be connected to the pvm so a god picture/sync?

Seems odd but most likely a cable issue.

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Just hooked up may GameCube to the PVM and everything is perfect apart from the sound. The BNC RGB inputs R/G/B from the BNC breakout cable go into the back of the PVM. I then plug the left and right audio phono inputs into a Female phono cable to female 3.5mm cable so that I can then plug in my 3.5mm PC speakers into it in order to get external sound.

Now while I do get sound out of both speakers its not the whole sound. For example when playing Wave Race on GameCube I'm getting music but no sound effects for example when clicking through the menus or the announcers voice etc so not all the sound is coming through the cables.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm just trying to get stereo sound out of my PVM through external speakers by plugging them into my 3.5mm PC speakers.

20170302_085302_resized.jpg

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm just trying to get stereo sound out of my PVM through external speakers by plugging them into my 3.5mm PC speakers.

View attachment 43222

I can't tell from this picture you took as to where your connections are. I can see the RGB connected to component in, and then a yellow cable connected to Ext Sync IN, but if there is something else I can't see it.

For clarity's sake, this Ebay listing seems to have the same back panel: http://www.ebay.de/itm/121658534149

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Here are a few shots of the rear of the 20L2 PVM and my breakout cable.

20170302_212433_resized.jpg

20170302_212506_resized.jpg

$_57.JPG

20170302_213117_resized.jpg

I'm attempting to plug into the phono cables into this to get sound via the 3.5mm jack from my pc speakers but not getting the full range of sound.

20170301_203808_resized.jpg

Lets say I'm playing Mario Kart on GameCube I can hear music but no sound effects like the "3/2/1 start" or the noise when you go through menus etc.

I think i need to plug the bnc phono cables directly into a active set of speakers.

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Here is the rear of my pvm

View attachment 43227

I think i need to plug the bnc phono cables directly into a active set of speakers.

I bet it's the cable. Where did you get that breakout cable? My guess is that there is a weak/no shield on the audio side which bleed over when it's not grounded, causing noise to enter the video signal.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I got the breakout cable with the pvm. Trying to eliminate things before dropping 」30 on a new one from Retro Gaming Cables. I also dont have a set of speakers with phono inputs to plug them in and test with hence trying to connect via the 3.5mm jack.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...art-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-for-sony-pvm-monitors

It must be good if it came with the monitor. :thevt:

I don't see how two RCA jacks are going to be any different than a 3.5mm stereo. Besides, you already said that just unplugging the audio from the PVM causes the color issues.

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yes it affected the picture when using my snes but when hooked upto my GameCube with the Official Nintendo RGB cable I did not have that problem leading me to believe the snes RGB cable I have is not the best. I am waiting for a new one from Retro Gaming Cables to arrive.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Yes it affected the picture when using my snes but when hooked upto my GameCube with the Official Nintendo RGB cable I did not have that problem leading me to believe the snes RGB cable I have is not the best. I am waiting for a new one from Retro Gaming Cables to arrive.

Where did the SNES cable come from then?

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
On a side note for getting the best picture settings on a Sony PVM does anyone have any recommended Color Temp Gain and Bias settings?

Two options are available:

D65 and D93

D65 to my eyes looks to orangey and D93 way too blue. I currently have tweaked my own user setting and have a pretty nice picture.

Just wondered if anyone had any settings they want to throw out there for getting the best picture?

Cheers

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
My Sony kv-27fs100 is starting to see some distorted parts of the side of the picture. :(

I'm looking for something to replace this thing. So far, I've found a KV32HS510 that is only four and half hours away. I also found a 36" version of the same model. That too is almost five hours away. Any other suggestions, or ideas on these two, or something better to look for?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
My Sony kv-27fs100 is starting to see some distorted parts of the side of the picture. :(

I'm looking for something to replace this thing. So far, I've found a KV32HS510 that is only four and half hours away. I also found a 36" version of the same model. That too is almost five hours away. Any other suggestions, or ideas on these two, or something better to look for?
What do you mean distorted, do you mean the geometry is being set off or that the image is actually getting distorted with weird edges?

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
What do you mean distorted, do you mean the geometry is being set off or that the image is actually getting distorted with weird edges?

The edge on the left is starting to lean in, if that's a good way to explain it.