CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Protip: A pvm is more likely to die during shipping than not die.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Hello,

I get excited when I buy the PVM 2030 :D, but I'm very disappointed to receive it. The screen looks green with white stripes. :(

With RGB and S-Video looks the same.

I think the shipment was hit and something broke down. :(

Is it worth repairing or is it better to return it?

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

:crying:

That sucks man. Try composite to be sure it's not the input. There should also be some buttons on the controller which will turn off the RGB colors individually.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello,

I get excited when I buy the PVM 2030 :D, but I'm very disappointed to receive it. The screen looks green with white stripes. :(

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Spoiler:

I'd definitely try to get a refund from the seller, but it's very likely they'll tell you to just keep the thing rather than pay to ship back what they'll likely see as trash at this point.

I would definitely recommend attempting to repair it though. I'd also suggest not running it in the state, as it's possible to actually wear out the tube as such. The green overtone and "white lines" suggest an issue with the green channel leading up to the tube. Those "white lines" are retrace lines which are always technically there, but should be hidden as the gun shouldn't be actually drawing to the screen at that point. Definitely look into some safety precautions before opening the set, but when you do, take a little look around and see if there's anything obviously wrong with it. Best case scenario would be some broken solder joints or what have you, where the worst would be a short inside the tube itself: Something that isn't impossible to fix, but requires a bit of work/specialized equipment.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Got another one. Ikegami 14inch old school, you heard.

I have one of these. Pretty nice monitor, different picture quality from your standard PVM. My only gripe is that it's huge for the smallish screen size.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have one of these. Pretty nice monitor, different picture quality from your standard PVM. My only gripe is that it's huge for the smallish screen size.

It's just as big as my 14 inch bvm and looks just as good. I don't mind the size as it gives me extra room to put my cps2 and SG on top like I had with my 20 inch pvm. Really digging the old tube look.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I still have a couple CRT's.

The one is a composite-only Samsung from the late '90's. I prefer using this one for light-gun based games.

The other is a flat-screen LG from the mid 2000's. That one has composite, s-video and component connections. I use quite a few of my gaming consoles on that LG. The picture I get via RGB SCART to Component is pretty good.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anyone by chance know of any RGB monitors for sale in the Rochester, NY area? A customer of mine needs one and he's new to the whole RGB thing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hello,

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

A connection on the inner board is loose, you need to open it up and reconnect it, better.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I love the look of the 2030, hope you get it sorted out!

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I just recently got 14" Sony pvm for some mod work. All I can say is wow in rgb. I own an xrgb mini and I'm considering selling it for a 20" pvm. It just looks that incredible for old games.

faroffmods

n00b
I need to post some real glamor shots of my CRTs some time. Meanwhile I just made a new SCART adapter cable for my Sony KV-25XBR and it works a treat:
983fec834bc23a12b22e9d12bb187e5c.jpg

A friend dug up the service manual for this set once, he found out the tube is the same as the tube used in that era's 25" PVM (2530 I guess), and the chassis is really similar. I don't remember if it has some different firmware or daughter board or what.

In any case this is a unique set, it's from the 80s and has a RGB input meant to be used with an Amiga or similar, and speaker output, and a headphone jack as well. RF, Composite, and RGB, that's it. Not to mention it has a very strange input for composite in on the front, it has a shroud like an RCA cable but the tip is actually a TRS jack. I bought one years ago and though I've never had 3 Composite systems hooked up at once it's nice to have regardless. The KV-20XBR is its smaller sibling and also has a RGB Input.

The RGB connector is the same 34 pin connector as a floppy cable. I can't find anyone selling adapter cables for it (Matt Ross made them years and years ago, remember him?) but it's easy to wire up your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to dig up and reply to an old post. DanAdamKOF, would you please share with me how you managed to make the 34pin cable for your 25XBR TV? I recently bought one and am needing to create a cable for it. I see a lot of info online, but many people have gotten stuck and never posted the final results and parts used.

Thank you!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sorry to dig up and reply to an old post. DanAdamKOF, would you please share with me how you managed to make the 34pin cable for your 25XBR TV? I recently bought one and am needing to create a cable for it. I see a lot of info online, but many people have gotten stuck and never posted the final results and parts used.

Thank you!
Hey there faroffmods and welcome to the forums.

I have been intending for a while to fully pin out my cable and explain exactly what I've done. I've had multiple people ask what I did and I don't at all intend to be the only one enjoying this monitor for its RGB.

Here's the thread where I've talked to myself mostly and written up some info (admittedly not a full walkthrough): http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?234038-(Fixed-)-KV25XBR-RGB-Audio-etc

In total I've made 2 SCART-RGB cables + a cheapo supergun with hardwired 34 pin RGB cable.

faroffmods

n00b
Thanks for the fast reply DanAdamKOF

I also have the PC-701 RGB adapter which was made for the KV-25XBR TV.

I'm trying to determine if I should just make a cable from scratch, or try using a modified femaie scart to 8pin min din connector into the PC-701 RGB adapter.

Not sure if this would be the best place to discuss this topic. Would it be okay to discuss via PM? (You may have to send one to me as it looks like I lack the privileges still.)

Thanks

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for the fast reply DanAdamKOF

I also have the PC-701 RGB adapter which was made for the KV-25XBR TV.

I'm trying to determine if I should just make a cable from scratch, or try using a modified femaie scart to 8pin min din connector into the PC-701 RGB adapter.

Not sure if this would be the best place to discuss this topic. Would it be okay to discuss via PM? (You may have to send one to me as it looks like I lack the privileges still.)

Thanks
Hmm I think it's because your account is new, I can't PM to you either. Go and bump the other thread I suppose. BTW, not sure if that cable carries audio (I believe I ended up with one at some point but never looked into it). If not you can use a composite source for its audio (enable RGB mode then press Input to select the input with sound, IIRC), but I got my handmade adapter working with audio over the 34 pin jack and if you plan to have multiple composite sources hooked up, that might be desirable.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Ironically, I just got a PVM, and it works well except no green! Does this mean its something irreparable with the gun itself? I've done cap kit on arcade monitors before, so I know CRT safety, but what should I be looking at for a PVM missing a color?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
It could possibly be one of the guns went bad. Just as likely a bad solder joint or bad ic though.

Slithis

n00b
Owned a pvm 20m4u for a couple of years now and never looked back. I can see why people play retro on a modern set but for me everything runs trough the Sony pvm. Even the Xbox 360 gets hooked up for some low res titles sometimes.