CRT Fetish Thread

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I had read how people would look for months or years before finding the monitor they wanted so I didn't expect to find one so soon.

That's awesome you found what you wanted so quickly. I looked the better part of 2 years or so until I found an XM29. I'm excited to see what that Mitsubishi can do over RGB, make sure to post again once you have it all sorted! As far as things to do in the meantime, I'd definitely pull the back of the case off. As long as no electronics are attached you can take it out to your driveway and wash it with a hose and a stiff brush. I'd blow the rest of it out with a can of air and wipe down as much non-circuit board area stuff as you can. Don't spin the fans with the can of air though. You can mess up the bearings of you spin it faster than it was intended to go. After that take a good look at all of the components and make sure you don't have any leaking capacitors, or burn marks on anything. You can also smell burned components. Best of luck!

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
As long as no electronics are attached you can take it out to your driveway and wash it with a hose and a stiff brush. I'd blow the rest of it out with a can of air and wipe down as much non-circuit board area stuff as you can. Don't spin the fans with the can of air though. You can mess up the bearings of you spin it faster than it was intended to go. After that take a good look at all of the components and make sure you don't have any leaking capacitors, or burn marks on anything. You can also smell burned components. Best of luck!
If the insides of it are anything like the insides of my Mitsubishi XC-3730c, I don't see that as being something that could be done that easily, especially being even heavier and larger.

I went with a considerable amount of rubbing alcohol and a bit of canned air when I partially cleaned mine. I've thought about going through and checking caps and such inside of it, but with how many there are and the number of jumped connections on various boards as well as the connections between boards, it's all a bit daunting.

Some photos from nearly two years ago.
http://imgur.com/a/R0eZK
Should probably open it up, clean it up better, and actually looks for anything explicitly damaged and/or in need of replacing.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Picked up a package deal for two 8" pvms. One with RGB. Picture is soooooo nice.

aa410376d36da695ae1d2f9e17763448.jpg

8a2183e5fdf607f4a4e7a406035087e0.jpg

88f697da8e986af0665cacb728189f5e.jpg

Dragon89o

New Challenger
That's awesome you found what you wanted so quickly. I looked the better part of 2 years or so until I found an XM29. I'm excited to see what that Mitsubishi can do over RGB, make sure to post again once you have it all sorted! As far as things to do in the meantime, I'd definitely pull the back of the case off. As long as no electronics are attached you can take it out to your driveway and wash it with a hose and a stiff brush. I'd blow the rest of it out with a can of air and wipe down as much non-circuit board area stuff as you can. Don't spin the fans with the can of air though. You can mess up the bearings of you spin it faster than it was intended to go. After that take a good look at all of the components and make sure you don't have any leaking capacitors, or burn marks on anything. You can also smell burned components. Best of luck!

So if I happen to have a leaking capacitor or burn marks what does that mean exactly? Would I need to replace the leaking capacitor? Is it even possible to do that? How does that effect the TV or the components inside?

Also thanks I will try to post as soon as possible but it may take some time. I work 6 days a week and I would have to make arrangements for friends to come over the one day I am off to help me pick it up onto a table to start the cleaning process. Then wait for when they are back the following week to put it back down onto a tv stand. Plus I haven't moded any of my consoles to output to RGB. I'm all relativity new to this. I mean I have 11 consoles which is all the consoles I grew up with as a child but majority of those consoles would need mods most of the consoles I have do not support RGB by default. I think I have one or two that do but I will have to order cords for them.

I have a special treat though. I have some more photos coming in the this week and more the week after =]. I have a high end consumer level mirror-less camera so I should be able to get some good shots and comparisons to other monitors ^_- All cameras don't show a true image by default and change what the picture looks like to look more appealing to the viewer. So unless you shoot the image in RAW which sometimes requires you to hack your camera it's hard to compare one mans photo to another even with out any editing.

If the insides of it are anything like the insides of my Mitsubishi XC-3730c, I don't see that as being something that could be done that easily, especially being even heavier and larger.

I went with a considerable amount of rubbing alcohol and a bit of canned air when I partially cleaned mine. I've thought about going through and checking caps and such inside of it, but with how many there are and the number of jumped connections on various boards as well as the connections between boards, it's all a bit daunting.

Some photos from nearly two years ago.
http://imgur.com/a/R0eZK
Should probably open it up, clean it up better, and actually looks for anything explicitly damaged and/or in need of replacing.

I'ts good to run into another Megaview owner I haven't run into any others as of it. Do you happen to have a remote for yours? I'm looking into options right now. Mine didn't come with a manual or remote.

What can be replaced on these TVs that could be damaged?

I want to take every precaution possible considering how much of an effort it was to get this to my house plus the rarity of them. What is the best solution/chemical in cleaning it and what fabric should be used with the solution/chemical?

Also if the back can be removed and it's just plastic. My idea was to have friends lift it onto a sturdy table downstairs. Use a anti static rubber mat so I couldn't damage any of the parts with an electric discharge. Maybe even use rubber gloves.
Take the back into the drive way like aaronmjr suggested. Clean it out and let it dry then put it back on.

Also your photos are super helpful and based on the image I see at least 3 fans. I'd imagine there are more. Do you know what type of connectors the fans use to be powered? Also what type of power supply the tv runs off of or maybe the power requirement used for those fans? I'v heard mixed reports on peoples tvs being loud and some not. Even after cleaning it I hear some peoples tvs are still loud. I'm interested in having the fans replaced. I am into pc buildings and currently the most popular fan brand would be Noctua specifically their p12 models. They are an anti-static pressure fan that is extremely quite. Sadly they are ugly but unlike a gaming pcs that typically have a clear side panel I won't be seeing them after they are install. I could even technically go in and cut back some of the metal to open up it up so I can install a larger fan to have more airflow in the case. Use some type of adapter so the fans get powered. A more simple solution I can find something near the same size that would fit that is more quite if I don't want to do all the extra work but as of right now it's so loud t hat it's noticeable while playing games and effects the enjoyment of the game.

I am also concerned with possibly the inputs or outputs. I think they looked a bit dirty. I don't know if it was simply dirt/dust or rust. If thats the case what can I do to clean the inputs/outputs of the tv?

And does anyone know this TV's TVL count? I think I saw that it had only 600 which wouldn't that be closer to more of a consumer level tv? Plus considering the size it should technically have more am I right? I mean don't get my wrong I still love the tv to death because I wanted a bigger picture tv so I can actually sit back at a distance we have become accustomed to today with large lcd tvs.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a special treat though. I have some more photos coming in the this week and more the week after =]. I have a high end consumer level mirror-less camera so I should be able to get some good shots and comparisons to other monitors ^_- All cameras don't show a true image by default and change what the picture looks like to look more appealing to the viewer. So unless you shoot the image in RAW which sometimes requires you to hack your camera it's hard to compare one mans photo to another even with out any editing.
Even with RAW, based on exposure and so many other variables, it's still extremely difficult to get photos taken by the same person and the same camera to match up properly

I'ts good to run into another Megaview owner I haven't run into any others as of it. Do you happen to have a remote for yours? I'm looking into options right now. Mine didn't come with a manual or remote.
The remote for my model is quite common thankfully, so I was able to grab on of the multitude floating around on ebay. I am also lacking in proper manuals, both owner's and service, which is another reason I'm iffy on doing work on the thing

What can be replaced on these TVs that could be damaged?
As aaron said, various electrical components such as electrolytic capacitors and the like can leak with age(and is quite possible given that even the newest models like mine are 20+ years old), as such not working properly at the least and hypothetically damaging surrounding components at worst.
I'm actually pretty sure there are components that could use replacing in mine, due to some quirks it has. To be specific:
Adjusting contrast settings under certain conditions can lead the image to go "hot" and get strange artifacts. Not sure if this is perhaps some processing chip gone bad or bad caps throwing things off though.
Under most conditions, leaving the RGB1 input unterminated gives a better and more accurate picture than the expected 75ohm termination. Don't get it, would like to know why it does it, but not a big deal as it works for standalone play well enough. Causes problems when daisy-chaining monitors though.

I want to take every precaution possible considering how much of an effort it was to get this to my house plus the rarity of them. What is the best solution/chemical in cleaning it and what fabric should be used with the solution/chemical?
I've heard of people using various cleaning solutions on CRTs, but my go to for electronics is just your standard rubbing alcohol. You obviously don't want to be rags or cloth that could generate static near sensitive components(like that labeled chip in one of my photos). Honestly, if you're breaking everything down to do a deep cleaning, I'd probably end up using something simple like an old toothbrush, but that's just me.

Also if the back can be removed and it's just plastic. My idea was to have friends lift it onto a sturdy table downstairs. Use a anti static rubber mat so I couldn't damage any of the parts with an electric discharge. Maybe even use rubber gloves.
Take the back into the drive way like aaronmjr suggested. Clean it out and let it dry then put it back on.
The back on mine, as well as most of the casing on mine is metal, but it came off with just a number of screws(something like 8 or 10 maybe). I believe I may have actually been wiping off some loose powder coating or something similar, but as it's just the inside of the casing, it wasn't a big deal.

Also your photos are super helpful and based on the image I see at least 3 fans. I'd imagine there are more. Do you know what type of connectors the fans use to be powered?
I'd need to open it up to check the connectors, but I might do that sometime tonight or in the next few days if I get a chance.

Also what type of power supply the tv runs off of or maybe the power requirement used for those fans?
Again, not something I can answer off hand. Though, for something as high end as these were, I'd be willing to bet the power supply(s) used are custom jobs made just for the individual line of monitors at the time.

I'v heard mixed reports on peoples tvs being loud and some not. Even after cleaning it I hear some peoples tvs are still loud.
This is always going to vary, as no one monitor is going to see the same amount of use or use in the same conditions as another. The fans in mine are audible, but I wouldn't say they're terribly loud. For 15khz sources, they sort of just blend into the the hum and background noise.

I'm interested in having the fans replaced. I am into pc buildings and currently the most popular fan brand would be Noctua specifically their p12 models. They are an anti-static pressure fan that is extremely quite. Sadly they are ugly but unlike a gaming pcs that typically have a clear side panel I won't be seeing them after they are install. I could even technically go in and cut back some of the metal to open up it up so I can install a larger fan to have more airflow in the case. Use some type of adapter so the fans get powered. A more simple solution I can find something near the same size that would fit that is more quite if I don't want to do all the extra work but as of right now it's so loud t hat it's noticeable while playing games and effects the enjoyment of the game.
Entirely doable, but also entirely dependent on the amount of effort you're willing to put into it. They may be relatively standard connectors with standard voltage expectations, but they could also have odd connectors and requirements. All of that could be worked around if you feel like it.

I am also concerned with possibly the inputs or outputs. I think they looked a bit dirty. I don't know if it was simply dirt/dust or rust. If thats the case what can I do to clean the inputs/outputs of the tv?
I'd argue a soft bristled brush(like a tooth brush) would be decent to get anything out of the BNC connectors, again with a bit of isopropyl alcohol to help get off grime. Technically, if it were rust, these are standard connectors and could be replaced if needed. The amount of work to do that is a different question however.

And does anyone know this TV's TVL count? I think I saw that it had only 600 which wouldn't that be closer to more of a consumer level tv? Plus considering the size it should technically have more am I right? I mean don't get my wrong I still love the tv to death because I wanted a bigger picture tv so I can actually sit back at a distance we have become accustomed to today with large lcd tvs.
I've heard the same claim for mine, but I vaguely remember staying up one night and doing some math based on it's dot pitch and getting something in the 700-ish range. Your monitor may be different.
You have to remember, with massive models like these, there are definite trade offs; You aren't going to get as high of a line count as with a smaller, 20'' PVM or BVM.
As for consumer models, even late-ish model SDCRTs were still having an expected TVL in the mid 400s a lot of the time.

For some idea of with fan noise, I have a few videos of it up on Youtube; In the bits that don't have audio, you can hear how the fans sound(mixed with the flyback transformer)

SkyGunner(480i)
Saturn Bomberman(240p/480i)
Mario Kart 8(720p or 1080i)

Sorry for the massive text and quote wall, just seemed like the best way to respond.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
So I think you are the original one who listed this. Thank you so much for the all the suffering I went through this Sunday. It was a 4 1/2-5 hour drive one way.... then the same or a little longer on the way back. paid $35 for the TV, $50 for gas, about $25 for me and my friends meals. So it came out to roughly $110 dollars to get this tv and about collectively 12-13 hours on my only day off of the week. Haha but no, sincerely thank you for posting this on the forums. I am so grateful.

So for the full story. I saw your listing about three days after you had posted it by mistake. I was originally wanting to read every page of this thread before I read current posts or post myself. I ended up having a question about professional monitors as I am still learning so I was like what the heck.. let me just post a question. I wanted to see where the topic of discussion was currently and then I saw your post. Which started a series of emails contacting the seller and making arrangements to pick it up. Along with finding car solutions to fit it in and who I could get to help me. There was a lot of uncertainty in it fitting, who could help, her still having it, it working after dragging it through a 5 hour car ride. Even had a friend who bailed the night before leaving only me and one other friend being able to go and get it. Which ended up working in my favor because I doubt it would of fit if he was with us. Luckly as I went to go pick this up she had two other guys there. One mowing her lawn and another picking up a fish tank that I guess she had also listed. Luckly the guy who just finished mowing her lawn ended up helping me and my friend get it into the back of my mom's mini suv. The only thing we had to do was help push his professional mower into the back of his trailer. Took him, myself, my friend, and the mother to push it into his trailer. (Keep in mind I have a back injury I shouldnt be lifting so having him help was amazing).

Then on the way back home near midnight I ended up luckily finding another friend who would help get this into my basement. Keep in mind two weeks prior I just picked up a Mitsubishi CS-40505 to use as a temp solution until I could find this monitor. I had read how people would look for months or years before finding the monitor they wanted so I didn't expect to find one so soon. So with recent experience lifting a 40 inch TV with just two other friends I did expect this to be heavier due to it being slightly larger and figured it would have more hardware inside but not to this extent. It was almost sickening trying to lift this with the weight, size, and how the weight is distributed then trying to take this down steps on top of that.... I encourage anyone who finds this Mitsubishi AM-4201R to get the strongest guys you know and to be on the safe side have 4 people helping. We got it done but it wasn't good on any of our backs.

Having said all of that though. It was kept in her garage and is extremely dusty/dirty. The fans run a bit loud so I am expecting this needs to be opened up and cleaned up with some good old TLC. As I am still new to all of this I know there are some safety concerns and I will take the steps neded to be safe but do you guys have any tips or feed back? What do you guys think? Worth it? =]

Thats a mission and a half! If your back recovers and the monitor works, I would say it was worth it. It seems like you come across these monitors so rarely that you often have to do stuff like this to get one unfortunately, at least in my area.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Even with RAW, based on exposure and so many other variables, it's still extremely difficult to get photos taken by the same person and the same camera to match up properly

Well distance, lighting, white balancing it, even doing the shots same day. I could get a pretty accurate comparison would you not agree?

The remote for my model is quite common thankfully, so I was able to grab on of the multitude floating around on ebay. I am also lacking in proper manuals, both owner's and service, which is another reason I'm iffy on doing work on the thing

I am unable to find the remote for my TV. I think it may be the Mitsubisihi 290P027A10 due to the fact it has an option of Input 1, 2, 3 and RGB 1, 2, 3 which is the same as the inputs for my TV. I'v read people having issues of trying to use a universal remote and trying to find codes or getting them to work. Any idea what model remote mine might be?

As aaron said, various electrical components such as electrolytic capacitors and the like can leak with age(and is quite possible given that even the newest models like mine are 20+ years old), as such not working properly at the least and hypothetically damaging surrounding components at worst.

So you can replace capacitors? If so how difficult is that? Also if it's already leaking what do I do?

I've heard of people using various cleaning solutions on CRTs, but my go to for electronics is just your standard rubbing alcohol. You obviously don't want to be rags or cloth that could generate static near sensitive components(like that labeled chip in one of my photos). Honestly, if you're breaking everything down to do a deep cleaning, I'd probably end up using something simple like an old toothbrush, but that's just me.

Whats the best and safest way? Could I technically use a larger microfiber cloth and use some type of chemical on that to not scratch the screen?

The back on mine, as well as most of the casing on mine is metal, but it came off with just a number of screws(something like 8 or 10 maybe). I believe I may have actually been wiping off some loose powder coating or something similar, but as it's just the inside of the casing, it wasn't a big deal.

I don't think the back of mine is am metal case. Seemed like plastic to me.

I'd need to open it up to check the connectors, but I might do that sometime tonight or in the next few days if I get a chance.

If you do take pictures and tell me what you may learn. Hopefully I can find it useful.

Again, not something I can answer off hand. Though, for something as high end as these were, I'd be willing to bet the power supply(s) used are custom jobs made just for the individual line of monitors at the time.

If they were custom made then me trying to use a fan that could draw more power could be bad for the lifespan of the power supply correct? Typically you want to use as least possible percent load on it for a good life span. Are they easy to replace?

Entirely doable, but also entirely dependent on the amount of effort you're willing to put into it. They may be relatively standard connectors with standard voltage expectations, but they could also have odd connectors and requirements. All of that could be worked around if you feel like it.

When you open your TV up can you check the power connector to the fans so we have more public knowledge? Also maybe get a measurement on them and a head count?

I'd argue a soft bristled brush(like a tooth brush) would be decent to get anything out of the BNC connectors, again with a bit of isopropyl alcohol to help get off grime. Technically, if it were rust, these are standard connectors and could be replaced if needed. The amount of work to do that is a different question however.

Would that be a huge headache?

I've heard the same claim for mine, but I vaguely remember staying up one night and doing some math based on it's dot pitch and getting something in the 700-ish range. Your monitor may be different.
You have to remember, with massive models like these, there are definite trade offs; You aren't going to get as high of a line count as with a smaller, 20'' PVM or BVM.
As for consumer models, even late-ish model SDCRTs were still having an expected TVL in the mid 400s a lot of the time.

Ah so at 600 it would be at least decent or above high end consumer level tvs but due to the size it kind of evens out then anyhow? Also couldn't I take a picture with a high megapixel camera and zoom in and technically count about maybe 1/5th of the tv then estimate the actual line count?

Thats a mission and a half! If your back recovers and the monitor works, I would say it was worth it. It seems like you come across these monitors so rarely that you often have to do stuff like this to get one unfortunately, at least in my area.

Well my back injury prior seems to be more of a long term/permanent situation. As for the additional pain that should be gone in hopefully a week or so.

Sorry for the massive text and quote wall, just seemed like the best way to respond.

Well I will follow suit then. =]

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Well distance, lighting, white balancing it, even doing the shots same day. I could get a pretty accurate comparison would you not agree?
Reasonably so.

I am unable to find the remote for my TV. I think it may be the Mitsubisihi 290P027A10 due to the fact it has an option of Input 1, 2, 3 and RGB 1, 2, 3 which is the same as the inputs for my TV. I'v read people having issues of trying to use a universal remote and trying to find codes or getting them to work. Any idea what model remote mine might be?
No I don't, sorry. You could hypothetically try the remote for another Megaview and hope that they share some of the same functions, but it's no definite.

So you can replace capacitors? If so how difficult is that? Also if it's already leaking what do I do?
Yes. This is basic electronic stuff, something I'd DEFINITELY suggest you look into if you even have the vaguest dream of doing work on your monitor. Removing and replacing would be as simple as unsoldering them, neutralizing and cleaning up any residue left by the electrolytic fluid, and replacing it with a new one of the same value.

Whats the best and safest way? Could I technically use a larger microfiber cloth and use some type of chemical on that to not scratch the screen?
For the screen you'd want one of those fluffy microfiber clothes that will pull any large dirt away from the screen. I've used, again, isopropyl alcohol on mine, but that might not play well with some monitors anti-glare coatings; The Megaview isn't likely to be damaged by this, but a very mild detergent/soap and water would work as well.

If they were custom made then me trying to use a fan that could draw more power could be bad for the lifespan of the power supply correct? Typically you want to use as least possible percent load on it for a good life span. Are they easy to replace?
You obviously wouldn't want to try pulling more than was being supplied, but that's how things go for everything.

When you open your TV up can you check the power connector to the fans so we have more public knowledge? Also maybe get a measurement on them and a head count?
Of course, but getting pinouts for them or anything like that is unlikely.

Would that be a huge headache?
They're mounted to a PCB, so you'd have to remove the PCB, remove the connectors, and then find a way to fit new connectors.
It's unlikely that this is actually necessary though.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
No I don't, sorry. You could hypothetically try the remote for another Megaview and hope that they share some of the same functions, but it's no definite.

What remote model are you currently using? And I can safely assume that the 290P027A10 remote would be for a Megaview since it has RGB controls?

Yes. This is basic electronic stuff, something I'd DEFINITELY suggest you look into if you even have the vaguest dream of doing work on your monitor. Removing and replacing would be as simple as unsoldering them, neutralizing and cleaning up any residue left by the electrolytic fluid, and replacing it with a new one of the same value.

Where would I buy new ones from? What do they do and directly effect because would it not effect something since it wouldn't be the OEM?

Of course, but getting pinouts for them or anything like that is unlikely.

So I would have to create my own wire/adapter to probably do it then? Or I would have to somehow draw power from a secondary power supply.

They're mounted to a PCB, so you'd have to remove the PCB, remove the connectors, and then find a way to fit new connectors.
It's unlikely that this is actually necessary though.

It would only be if they are rusted then correct?

Also what about my question on taking a camera with a high mega pixel count and counting maybe 1/10th of the tvl count then simply multiplying by 10 to get an idea of the TVL since I can't get a real number online?

We also need some type of Mitsubishi Megaview club signature banner =P. Would be easier to know who to ask what.

And does anyone know where to get these professional serviced? Can you still find people at all or has it just come down to people learning how to do everything themselves?

Total separate question from everything recently. What is everyone's top 5 dream professional monitor list? I have an idea of what mine is since I'v been trying to research everybrand but I would like to hear everyone else list first and their reasons why.

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
What remote model are you currently using? And I can safely assume that the 290P027A10 remote would be for a Megaview since it has RGB controls?
One of these remotes. Literally labeled for my model.
It's very possible, but it could also go to some sort of Mitsubishi product from Europe, as RGB was abundant there.
Could also try using these codes with an IR blaster app on a smart phone. The different listed options makes me think that the remote you have in mind could very well be it.

Where would I buy new ones from? What do they do and directly effect because would it not effect something since it wouldn't be the OEM?
Somewhere like Mouser or Digikey. They're just a type of electronic component. Trying to explain to you what they exactly do really wouldn't help much without some knowledge of electronics/circuitry(something I myself am only recently starting to pick up). Not being "OEM" wouldn't affect a single thing, as these are standard items and not something that technically vary from maker to maker(aside from quality)

So I would have to create my own wire/adapter to probably do it then? Or I would have to somehow draw power from a secondary power supply.
Depending, an adapter might be necessary, it might not be. Drawing power from a separate power source would be cumbersome, not suggested and wouldn't make sense.

It would only be if they are rusted then correct?
If you can get a solid connection, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also what about my question on taking a camera with a high mega pixel count and counting maybe 1/10th of the tvl count then simply multiplying by 10 to get an idea of the TVL since I can't get a real number online?
There are patterns you can display that well let you get a rough estimate of your monitor's TVL. Not sure why I haven't tried that with mine, now that I think of that. You'd want to feed that with a PC or something along those lines.
Alternatively, there's a way to go about calculating what the tube itself can handle based on it's dot pitch, but I can't seem to remember the exact method at the moment. Your model has a dot pitch of around 1mm; I'm seeing something claiming 1.1 and .96, so I'm just assuming that's the corner vs center pitch.

We also need some type of Mitsubishi Megaview club signature banner =P. Would be easier to know who to ask what.
I'm just a weenie who likes answer stuff; I've got PVMs and some consumer stuff as well.

And does anyone know where to get these professional serviced? Can you still find people at all or has it just come down to people learning how to do everything themselves?
Most of the old TV repairmen that worked on anything even remotely similar to these sort of things have been out of the business for a while. While they are undoubtedly a few still around, they're likely few and far between, and not well known.
Learning how to deal with it yourself is just simpler and smarter in the long term.

Total separate question from everything recently. What is everyone's top 5 dream professional monitor list? I have an idea of what mine is since I'v been trying to research everybrand but I would like to hear everyone else list first and their reasons why.
Assuming I don't have to lug them around, and just get to have them exactly where I want them, there are two in particular I have in mind(outside of PC monitors).
First one is a toss up between the BVM-D24E1WU and D32E1WU; I say a toss up, as the 32s that seem to pop up on ebay all have the same sort of purity issues where the D24s don't.
Second one is the NEC XP37 Xtra. Same size as my Megaview, but supports higher resolutions(hypothetically at least: ~100khz Horizontal Limit vs 85khz), has a bit more accessible input connectors, and even supports YPbPr.
The BVM(s) are doable, but the NEC is honestly just a pipe dream.
Wouldn't mind have a "MultiFormat PVM/BVM" equivalent shadowmask monitor from JVC/Panasonic at some point either, but as for model numbers, I don't have any particular.

Wouldn't call it a dream monitor, but I'd like to at least see that ~43'' PVM in use at some point.

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Assuming I don't have to lug them around, and just get to have them exactly where I want them, there are two in particular I have in mind(outside of PC monitors).
First one is a toss up between the BVM-D24E1WU and D32E1WU; I say a toss up, as the 32s that seem to pop up on ebay all have the same sort of purity issues where the D24s don't.
Second one is the NEC XP37 Xtra. Same size as my Megaview, but supports higher resolutions(hypothetically at least: ~100khz Horizontal Limit vs 85khz), has a bit more accessible input connectors, and even supports YPbPr.
The BVM(s) are doable, but the NEC is honestly just a pipe dream.
Wouldn't mind have a "MultiFormat PVM/BVM" equivalent shadowmask monitor from JVC/Panasonic at some point either, but as for model numbers, I don't have any particular.

Do all of the 32' BVMs eventually run into issues over the course of time or is it some are fine and some are not? What exact issues do they run into? It's a monitor that I am considering to get in the future. Also what price is too high for the Sony BVM 24?

You didn't bring up Ikegami at all. Is it because they are less known or because their best model is very comparable/slighty worse then the Sony BVM 20F1U?

Also give me a list of maybe a top 5 of PC CRT Monitors you would want.

Wouldn't call it a dream monitor, but I'd like to at least see that ~43'' PVM in use at some point.

What was the last sentence in reference to? JVC/Panasonic made a 43' inch monitor? Thought the Mitsubishi 42' monitor was the largest official CRT ever made. I know Mitsubishi tried to make bigger but it didn't work out.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Holy multiquote conversation...

What is everyone's top 5 dream professional monitor list? I have an idea of what mine is since I'v been trying to research everybrand but I would like to hear everyone else list first and their reasons why.
As long as the picture is ok and I can hook up all (or most of) my consoles/PCBs (via RGB) I'm cool. It's good living in Europe ;)
But I'd like to try a Bang & Olufsen MX8000 or MX4200 to see how they compare to my PVM, nothing really pressing though.
Would love a cab (with a crisp monitor) though... maybe a New Astro City... but I lack space, money and time atm.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Do all of the 32' BVMs eventually run into issues over the course of time or is it some are fine and some are not? What exact issues do they run into? It's a monitor that I am considering to get in the future. Also what price is too high for the Sony BVM 24?
For the 32, no idea honestly.
For the 24, I'm a cheap ass, so I'm not a good person to ask fro acceptable prices.

You didn't bring up Ikegami at all. Is it because they are less known or because their best model is very comparable/slighty worse then the Sony BVM 20F1U?
It's 7am; Just happened to slip my mind. Group them in with the JVC/Panasonic comment. A small/normal sized RGB shadowmask monitor would just be nice. Would make for some nice variety in my photos.

Also give me a list of maybe a top 5 of PC CRT Monitors you would want.
They're mainly relatively well known stuff like various high-end Sony and Mitsubishi sets/rebadges. Too late to make a list, to be honest; Should have been out-cold hours ago.

What was the last sentence in reference to? JVC/Panasonic made a 43' inch monitor? Thought the Mitsubishi 42' monitor was the largest official CRT ever made. I know Mitsubishi tried to make bigger but it didn't work out.
https://docs.sony.com/release/PVM4300.PDF

So I think you are the original one who listed this. Thank you so much for the all the suffering I went through this Sunday. It was a 4 1/2-5 hour drive one way.... then the same or a little longer on the way back. paid $35 for the TV, $50 for gas, about $25 for me and my friends meals. So it came out to roughly $110 dollars to get this tv and about collectively 12-13 hours on my only day off of the week. Haha but no, sincerely thank you for posting this on the forums. I am so grateful.

So for the full story. I saw your listing about three days after you had posted it by mistake. I was originally wanting to read every page of this thread before I read current posts or post myself. I ended up having a question about professional monitors as I am still learning so I was like what the heck.. let me just post a question. I wanted to see where the topic of discussion was currently and then I saw your post. Which started a series of emails contacting the seller and making arrangements to pick it up. Along with finding car solutions to fit it in and who I could get to help me. There was a lot of uncertainty in it fitting, who could help, her still having it, it working after dragging it through a 5 hour car ride. Even had a friend who bailed the night before leaving only me and one other friend being able to go and get it. Which ended up working in my favor because I doubt it would of fit if he was with us. Luckly as I went to go pick this up she had two other guys there. One mowing her lawn and another picking up a fish tank that I guess she had also listed. Luckly the guy who just finished mowing her lawn ended up helping me and my friend get it into the back of my mom's mini suv. The only thing we had to do was help push his professional mower into the back of his trailer. Took him, myself, my friend, and the mother to push it into his trailer. (Keep in mind I have a back injury I shouldnt be lifting so having him help was amazing).

Then on the way back home near midnight I ended up luckily finding another friend who would help get this into my basement. Keep in mind two weeks prior I just picked up a Mitsubishi CS-40505 to use as a temp solution until I could find this monitor. I had read how people would look for months or years before finding the monitor they wanted so I didn't expect to find one so soon. So with recent experience lifting a 40 inch TV with just two other friends I did expect this to be heavier due to it being slightly larger and figured it would have more hardware inside but not to this extent. It was almost sickening trying to lift this with the weight, size, and how the weight is distributed then trying to take this down steps on top of that.... I encourage anyone who finds this Mitsubishi AM-4201R to get the strongest guys you know and to be on the safe side have 4 people helping. We got it done but it wasn't good on any of our backs.

To show proof I took a quick picture of the gamecube connected.

http://imgur.com/puGlMaA

Sadly it is only connected right now via S-Video but later on I will upload pictures with my camera on the correct settings showing RGB content at a later point.

Having said all of that though. It was kept in her garage and is extremely dusty/dirty. The fans run a bit loud so I am expecting this needs to be opened up and cleaned up with some good old TLC. As I am still new to all of this I know there are some safety concerns and I will take the steps neded to be safe but do you guys have any tips or feed back? What do you guys think? Worth it? =]

I am truly so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your story. You have to post some pics of it playing some retro consoles. This is a very obscure monitor, and it is difficult to find information about it. I am so very glad it went to a good home and not to a landfill.

Also, I would be very cautious when dealing with capacitors in CRT televisions. Be sure that you safely discharge stored energy. There is the potential to further damage components or injure yourself. I look forward to seeing you restore this beast to its full glory!

Dragon89o

New Challenger
I am truly so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your story. You have to post some pics of it playing some retro consoles. This is a very obscure monitor, and it is difficult to find information about it. I am so very glad it went to a good home and not to a landfill.

Well I figured that is the least I could do due to the fact that I wouldn't of found it with out this forum or your very first post. I don't know if I mentioned this but she originally got it from some company liquidation sale. Thought that was a bit interesting.

It will end up taking a while before it/I am ready to post pictures of it playing a console with RGB content. I have about 11 consoles from my childhood to now. Sad thing is majority of those don't support RGB by default. I will either have to learn soldering soon or pay for a mod. I could probably show some playstation 1 and playstation 2 content. I just need to order the cords plus think of a decent game that would be worth showing on them that I already own. I just have a lot of different hobbies that my money goes to haha. Going to be upgrading my ram on my pc from 16-32gb, getting a larger ssd, and just recently bought a new graphics card. Also need a head for my tripod, external audio recorder, and some lenses. Plus other stuff only listed a few.

Anyhow how does the 43' Sony PVM comapre to the 42' Mitsubishi Megaview? I can't really find anything on it except the manual that you linked. I was only able to find one picture of this monitor.

Also @ Kyadash when you get a chance make that list of RGB PC CRT monitors that you like. There is one that I have in mind but I want to see how it compares. I might be kicking myself for not picking it up.

And should I just load the test image onto a pc then connect the pc to the monitor to get an idea of it's TVL count? I saw phonedork do something like this on youtube.

Also you all will see in a couple of days why I am a little tight on money for the next month haha.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Anyhow how does the 43' Sony PVM comapre to the 42' Mitsubishi Megaview? I can't really find anything on it except the manual that you linked. I was only able to find one picture of this monitor.
It's a unicorn and not something you're very liable to have a chance to see. Very few were made, and even fewer made it to the US. Perhaps it would be "easier" to find one in Japan, but then again it might not.

Just because some model is/isn't on some person's list of "wants" doesn't mean that it's good or bad.

Just to name a few:
Obviously something like the FW900 or it's rebadges would be nice for high specs and widescreen support.
The CPD-G520 is again something that would be nice to come across, or the color reference version for easier configuration. Especially nice to have multiple inputs.
The various Mitsubishis, Iiyamas, and Eizos that out step even the above two.

Honestly, even those would outstep most of what I'd be using them for, but would be neat to have. I mainly stick to older games, and something like Dreamcast would just be far too sharp on any of those, I would think.

Not a modern PC monitor, but it'd be neat to have an old Commodore/Amiga RGB monitor to mess around with. I guess what I'm saying is I'd just like to have a multitude and variety of different monitors. I've made it a mild obsession of mine in the past couple years, but don't really have too many to mess with. At least compared to some of the people in this thread.

And should I just load the test image onto a pc then connect the pc to the monitor to get an idea of it's TVL count? I saw phonedork do something like this on youtube.
That's the idea. Looking around, one of the test patterns from http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/respat/ is the one he used for the "iMac test"; Whether that's the most proper one for this sort of thing or not is another question entirely. One of the other ones offered may be more accurate, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Also, I would be very cautious when dealing with capacitors in CRT televisions. Be sure that you safely discharge stored energy. There is the potential to further damage components or injure yourself. I look forward to seeing you restore this beast to its full glory!
Well the cleaning stages I want to get done this month. Replacing parts might not happen anytime soon so don't hold your breath. In 6 months I am going over seas for 1 year so it might have to happen after I get back. If I am not able to do it when I get back with my wife she is able to solder so she might be able to get it done.

It's a unicorn and not something you're very liable to have a chance to see. Very few were made, and even fewer made it to the US. Perhaps it would be "easier" to find one in Japan, but then again it might not.

Well where were they more marketed? If so in Japan I will look at trying to find one and importing it. I need some bread crumbs to follow this trial.

Just because some model is/isn't on some person's list of "wants" doesn't mean that it's good or bad.

Well of course but I was curious what majority of people liked and get a general consensus.

Just to name a few:
Obviously something like the FW900 or it's rebadges would be nice for high specs and widescreen support.
The CPD-G520 is again something that would be nice to come across, or the color reference version for easier configuration. Especially nice to have multiple inputs.
The various Mitsubishis, Iiyamas, and Eizos that out step even the above two.

What about the NEC FP2141 SB? I ended up passing up on one of these since I was still learning about PC CRT monitors and was tight on money at the time. I am a bit sad that I let that go. It's a multi-sync PC monitor. It can do 2048x1536 @ 85hz.
I'm also wanting to learn about the best PC CRT monitor options and also start to go on the hunt for those. I'd like to be able to find one rather soon. Do some comparisons.

Honestly, even those would outstep most of what I'd be using them for, but would be neat to have. I mainly stick to older games, and something like Dreamcast would just be far too sharp on any of those, I would think.
Too sharp, huh? And how does the PC CRT compare to the professional monitors or consumer crts? I hear it handles the pixels different and isn't as ideal.

Looking around, one of the test patterns from http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/respat/ is the one he used for the "iMac test"; Whether that's the most proper one for this sort of thing or not is another question entirely. One of the other ones offered may be more accurate, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Anyone else an expert @ this?

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The NEC would be grouped in with the "The various Mitsubishis.." comment, as many of their monitors are exactly the same. In the case of that model, it is the same as the Mitsubishi DP-2070SB and a few Dell/HP rebadges.

You can a picture similar to that of a PVM/BVM with a computer monitor a variety of ways, but they do tend to have a different look. Considering the higher resolutions they're usually expected to produce, their guns focus on a smaller area and don't have the same characteristic bloom as SD CRTs.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
The NEC would be grouped in with the "The various Mitsubishis.." comment, as many of their monitors are exactly the same. In the case of that model, it is the same as the Mitsubishi DP-2070SB and a few Dell/HP rebadges.

You can a picture similar to that of a PVM/BVM with a computer monitor a variety of ways, but they do tend to have a different look. Considering the higher resolutions they're usually expected to produce, their guns focus on a smaller area and don't have the same characteristic bloom as SD CRTs.

Think they are worth hunting down? I probably should of picked that Nec up for $60, huh?
Seems like the Sony one you listed is still actually expensive online. Surprised it's still going for that much considering how much they originally related for.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Did Neogeo just end up losing all recent posts? There was at least another page to this thread wasn't there?

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Well to keep the thread going. Here are some updated pictures. I'm currently looking for some cheap furniture solutions to hold the tvs. Issue is the Mitsubishi is nearly 300 pounds and it's hard to find something.

BVM Stand
http://imgur.com/EirJmOh

I will be putting the control unit below the BVM within the month. So that will change. If I can find a better stand for this monitor for cheap I will end up replacing it sicne it isn't the best to display consoles. The two doors on the bottom would make for some half decent storage for controllers and accessories.

Room with all monitors/tvs
http://imgur.com/7H7cd8y

I will end up getting rid of the Mitsubishi on the left since it's best is only S-Video. Also it looks like it has less TVL lines. Prior to getting the professional Mitsubishi on the right I had considered in looking into modding it for rgb but now I have a megaview. The other issue is even though the megaview is only 2' bigger it weighs way more and I'm not super confident in that stand holding the megaview so that will probably go too.

Do you guys have any good ideas for cheap furniture? I was just going to check local good wills or other thrift stores to try and find somethinng or even craigslist. I want to make custom stands for it later in life but not until I get a house that I won't be moving from.

Do any of you know of possibly some custom made stands for the larger Mitsubishi tvs? I could probably end up using one of those.

Hopefully this stuff isn't boring for you all. You will get to see the room progressive over the month or two.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I made my own stand for my big crts, you might want to do the same. Weld some steel or get some 2x4s...