CRT Fetish Thread

Hey Guys

I got a Grundig Elegance 70 ST 70-904
2x scart inputs Dolby surround sound 68cm for 50 AUD

It is a great CRT and Scart Genesis and Snes look fantastic. Question would a Bang & Olufsen MX 6000 be a upgrade or would I not see much difference? I can get one for 200 AUD.

View attachment 34928

View attachment 34927

Love the picture quality there... I'm using some piece of shit 25 inch Sylvania TV that I got for free from some guy's garage. Seeing these pics has made me realize there's a pretty big problem with it - the image on the left and right of the screen are wavy. Didn't really give it much thought until I saw the pics here and thought "hang on, those look way better than my pile of crap"... guess it's off to the thrift stores!

joshwaan

n00b
Yeah i found the service menu yesterday so happy i can adjust the geometry of image. Those pics are not fully calibrated if someones got a similar tv love to know there settings. Just wondering if a Bang and olufsen mx6000 would be much of a upgrade from this?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
From the impressions I've read, they're nice consumer CRTs but they don't compare to pro monitors. And I recall at least one person saying it was disappointing after using a PVM and the tube was nothing special. If your current TV has RGB and looks good geometry and convergence wise, I doubt the B&O set would be much of an upgrade.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Seems more like a slight upgrade to me as well. B&O are probably some of the best aesthetically looking crt monitors ever made too. But to be honest I have no idea how they are aside from some of the reading i've done online. Picture quality wise your monitor looks to be on par with the B&O images i've seen. And yes, pro monitors generally have superior picture quality in comparison to any consumer set but i've seen some people say they prefer the look of the consumer sets like the B&O, citing that the high end pro model crt's have more of an lcd like image.

But to answer your question, they look about the same to me. That Elegance monitor you got looks pretty nice. I would upgrade only if you want an aesthetically nicer looking crt and if you can get it on the cheap. Maybe someone with more experience using B&O crt's can chime in and give you a more informative opinion.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
if you want an aesthetically nicer looking crt and if you can get it on the cheap.
this. I've played some B&O CRTs (the MX6000 among them) and although they are exceptionally great monitors, I would never pay 200 AUD for one. I haven't seen your Grundig in person, but it looks very good in those pictures, so I don't think a B&O would outdo it by much.

It also would depend on the shape the tube in the B&O is in, if I remember correctly they were made from 1992 to 2002, so there could be serious hours on it. The MX6000 has built in stereo and a contrast screen, which is nice.

joshwaan

n00b
Thanks for the reply's guys and yeah you saved me money Iam very happy with the Grundig Snes looks amazing I should post some pics :)

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just came across these babies for you peeps out in NC

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/5495981270.html

emailed the dude yesterday and says he still has some.
Trying to see if I can get him to sell me just one one the input cards :D

Also came across this baby in OH
https://wheeling.craigslist.org/sop/5485427928.html?lang=en&cc=gb

Tried to have him ship to me out in Portland but no luck.
Anybody in the area got a good chance of nabbing one of the best pc crt monitors.

Yo, $30 for the one in OH?! What a steal.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yup.
I don't think it does multisync but who cares!
You are getting a top of the line crt for cheap.

The other monitors aren't a bad deal either. I thought they were multisyncs but looks like they only do 15Khz. Still not bad for the price and can probably haggle a little bit to save some more. I'm trying to get him to sell me a single jvc if-c01comg input card since I already have a similar monitor.
I don't know why but they are very hard to find at a good price.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
How would a PC CRT monitor like that Diamond Pro compare to a lower end PVM, like my 2030? Also, what kind of cable would be necessary to use it with an scart switch? I'm currently checking this one out in Toronto:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-monitors/markham-york-region/mitsubishi-diamond-pro-91txm-21-crt-computer-monitor-w-cables/1158457017?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Edit: actually, it looks like it uses BNC connections as well, so the same C-Sync BNC cables for a PVM might work with this too?

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
How would a PC CRT monitor like that Diamond Pro compare to a lower end PVM, like my 2030? Also, what kind of cable would be necessary to use it with an scart switch? I'm currently checking this one out in Toronto:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-monitors/markham-york-region/mitsubishi-diamond-pro-91txm-21-crt-computer-monitor-w-cables/1158457017?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Edit: actually, it looks like it uses BNC connections as well, so the same C-Sync BNC cables for a PVM might work with this too?

It only does 31k so you'd need a xrgb2 to use 15k on it.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well you would need an upscaler or a line doubling device in order to play 240p games.
When I plug my Sony FW900, which is another one of these high end pc crts, I use an XRGB mini with a HDMI to VGA adapter and the rest just plug into the mini. You might be able to use a device like an extron rgb 201 or the extron super emotia. And yes you can use your bnc connections.

As far as how it would compare to your pvm? You should get better results with the mitsubishi. I posted pictures a while back of my sony, so you should get very similar results on the mitsubishi.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A good PC CRT mated with a XRGB2 is very comparable to a PVM for RGB output. Since the XRGB2 doesn't upscale (it just line doubles) there is no lag whatsoever. Between my two sets, which is a 20 inch 600 line PVM and a 21 inch Trinitron PC monitor with a XRGB2, quality is a wash. The PVM gets a little better colors and brightness while the VGA monitor has better sharpness and geometry. However, the composite and svideo inputs of the XRGB2 aren't great, so the PVM beats it easily with those.

Overall I prefer the PVM still, but if you can get your hands on a XRGB2 then pretty much any decent VGA CRT can be had for pennies and be in the same neighborhood as the increasingly expensive and rare PVMs. I paid $4 for the VGA monitor at a thrift store.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probably gonna pass on this monitor for now as I don't know enough about the XRGB2 and it is probably expensive and difficult to obtain(?). I've been fortunate to get my hands on one PVM2030 and 2530, but I occasionally keep an eye out for backups.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, the XRGB2 is really difficult to find and expensive. I got lucky and grabbed one from a guy on another forum, it was $180 I think. Once you have one though, you can get any average PC VGA monitor and have a pretty great display.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just got a PVM-1350Q for free. Someone just dumped it off at my job for recycling. Had to rescue it.

So this is my second PVM.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Nice!

I have 1354Q as my work bench display and it has an amazing picture!

Nyd

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I just got it home. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. I just hooked up my Atari Flashback 2 to test it, works great and looks great.

I have a very complicated and convoluted setup for all my other systems right now. Into my 14" PVM I have
RGB 1 (Scart): Genesis w/32X+CD, Master System, SNES, Xbox, modded N64, Jaguar+CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, TG16, Neo Geo CD (all of these scart cables are just tied together and stuck to the top of my entertainment center; I have a female scart end running to the back of the monitor and I just switch them manually)

RGB 2 (component): PS2, Wii (via a multi-console cable)

Line 1 (composite): cable box (also running to a 1080p LCD via HDMI), VCR (to get RF into the monitor), modded Atari 7800, NES. Also have a set of composite inputs on the front of the VCR, which gives me easy access to hook up my modded Colecovision, my Watara Supervision with TV link, Atari XEGS, etc

Line 2 (s-video): LaserDisc player, 3DO, CD-i, Gamecube,

RF (via VCR): Odyssey 2, Atari 5200, Intellivision (I just have an RCA->RF adapter running to the back of the VCR and a cable with a female end run to the front of the monitor. These systems have controllers tethered so they are on the floor in front of the whole setup; I run power to them (plus the Coleco, Supervision, and XEGS) with an exension cord when I play them)

And literally all of that is pumped through a Sony HST-211 stereo for sound. Also have an Audio Technica record player hooked to it

All of that adds up to two s-video switches (also use one to switch the audio for the RGB systems), one composite switch, and several power strips (the cable box, record player, VCR, LD player, stereo, and PVM are plugged into their own strip straight into the wall, and that's the only one that is always on; all the others are plugged into one master strip with two smaller ones plugged in, and remains off unless it's in use)

So basically, I want to take all the RF systems and put them in another room with my new PVM. But my basic problem is that the PVM doesn't accept RF, and I'm hesitant to remove the VCR from my other setup because I like the front composite ports and frankly it's a fucking mess back there and I don't want to fuck with it. I know once I get back there I'm not going to be able to stop myself from doing some serious cable management/labelling, which would be a real pain in the ass.

So then my other options are
-just go buy another VCR, but I don't really want another VCR in my house in 2016
-leave the RF systems in the game room and bring some of the others to the bedroom, but I don't have a sound system in the bedroom
-just keep the game room the way it is and use the new PVM as a TV/Atari Flashback box, but that seems like a waste

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
MITSUBISHI AM-4201r

Found this on Craigslist near Raleigh, NC. I want this monitor VERY badly but the driving distance is way too far from Louisiana and the shipping quote I received from uship.com was $600. I've been searching for over 2 years, someone pick this rare multisync monster.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/5558421810.html

Yea, I am NOT going to get that one. That's just too big to be practical. The "works" description doesn't light my fire either.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yea, I am NOT going to get that one. That's just too big to be practical. The "works" description doesn't light my fire either.

lol right

plus a single front facing picture (thats not a picture of it operation). that thing is probably all kinds of fucked up

lions3

Igniz's Servent
sooo... if I wanted to get a PVM for my home office what would be a good size? Something not too big that could sit on a shelf. And where should I be looking? I've been checking the local CL and haven't seen anything for a while. Is my only real option ebay?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
There are 4 typical sizes.

I have 19 inch and its a good size and is quite manageable. Id go with either 19 or a 14 inch if size is an issue but you dont want something too tiny.

8 inch is kind of small but very portable and nice if you don't mind a small screen. 25 inch is way too big and cumbersome to me. Not worth the hassle.