CRT Fetish Thread

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I just picked up one of these:

phm.jpgphm2.jpg

A Sony PHM-20M8U. Does anybody have info on how I can get into the service menu? I'm having trouble with alignment and also having it take in component instead of RGB.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Try pressing Menu, then push Enter and Degauss at the same time. You should be aware that monitor doesn't have SD resolutions. That exact same unit came up a few pages earlier.

What would you guys say is a fair price for a Olympus OEV203 in good shape (rebranded PVM-20M2MDU)?

$50-100 sounds about right but don't be surprised if a seller wants a lot more.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Try pressing Menu, then push Enter and Degauss at the same time. You should be aware that monitor doesn't have SD resolutions. That exact same unit came up a few pages earlier.

$50-100 sounds about right but don't be surprised if a seller wants a lot more.

EDIT: Also I'l give that suggestion a go as soon as I get home, thanks again!

EDIT 2: whoops I accidentally thought your second portion was for me.

Last edited:

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object

Sorry, I'm not finding any PHM's in this thread....did you happen to misread and think I meant PVM? Not insulting your intelligence, I'm just not finding anything!

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Post #4949

Yep, that's the one I bought! Thanks. Maybe it is something to do with the signal being put out by the PS2 not being 'HD' enough. I got a good signal coming out of my Dreamcast Hanzo and with my SCART to BNC cable. I just figured since the TV takes component and the PS2 outputs component that it would work automatically. What I'm getting is a stretched/skewed image or just plain garbage....hmmm....

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Anyone with a 20" PVM or BVM want to do me a solid and measure the dimensions of the footprint? Feet front to back and side to side, not the body.

Thanks!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Anyone with a 20" PVM or BVM want to do me a solid and measure the dimensions of the footprint? Feet front to back and side to side, not the body.

Thanks!

So you just want measurements of the placement of the round feet, not the outside dimensions? Sorry, forgot to get to it last night.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So you just want measurements of the placement of the round feet, not the outside dimensions? Sorry, forgot to get to it last night.
Yup, just the measurements to the outside of the round feet. Basically trying to figure out if a 20" can fit on the stand I have (it's fine if it hangs off the back/front/etc)

No problem, I'm really surprised it isn't in the manuals that's why I have to ask someone who has one. :p

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yup, just the measurements to the outside of the round feet. Basically trying to figure out if a 20" can fit on the stand I have (it's fine if it hangs off the back/front/etc)

No problem, I'm really surprised it isn't in the manuals that's why I have to ask someone who has one. :p

Got it, assuming I can find my measuring tape I'll get those for you later tonight.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yep, that's the one I bought! Thanks. Maybe it is something to do with the signal being put out by the PS2 not being 'HD' enough. I got a good signal coming out of my Dreamcast Hanzo and with my SCART to BNC cable. I just figured since the TV takes component and the PS2 outputs component that it would work automatically. What I'm getting is a stretched/skewed image or just plain garbage....hmmm....

PS2 outputs 480i natively, you have to hold down certain buttons or something to get it to put out 480p, and it only works on a very few games.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy

Like Gohan said, most PS2 (and Xbox and Gamecube) games are SD and just won't work on your PHM. Older systems are out of the question. A console like the Wii with an entire library of 480p games would be your best use for this thing. My guess is the supported resolutions are limited to 480p and 1080i so PS3/X360 would be better off on a true HD flat panel.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
WP_20160209_17_09_39_Pro.jpgWP_20160209_17_31_36_Pro.jpgWP_20160209_17_32_16_Pro.jpgWP_20160209_17_37_15_Pro.jpgWP_20160209_17_37_56_Rich.jpgWP_20160209_17_57_46_Pro.jpg

Loving this thing. Only wish it had some default sets for geometry and sizing instead of just color as its a 16:10 aspect ratio which nothing is the world is so to get corner to corner means constantly stretching. Good thing is this doesnt really seem to effect 4:3

It also has a connection for the PVM/BVM type component cables rgb. Can anyone explain those as im just getting into this. Its got red green blue but it also has a black cable and a grey. What are those for?

Is there away to get ps2 cables made in this style from somewhere. That and original xbox cables would be great.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
It's fucking great. There isn't really much to improve upon on it. It takes composite (which is shit on mine,) svideo, RGB and Component. It has two RGB inputs, you can set either one to RGB or component, also has outputs on one of the lines which is handy since I run the component signal to a larger TV. The RGB has synced with everything I've thrown at it, it doesn't care if it's composite sync, composite video, sync on green, whatever. The image is outstanding, although scanlines aren't very pronounced if that's your kinda thing. It's not as sharp as some PVMS (I think it's a 600 line) but I think it's perfect for gaming. Easy to tate too.

The only bad thing about it is that some of the geometry functions are not available in the service menu, you need to take the back off, which I have never done. As a result, the image is rotated a few degrees counter clockwise as I'm not opening the beast up.

Thanks man, unfortunately the guy selling one locally wants an arm and a leg ($325) so that's not going to happen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hah, fuck that shit. It is NOT worth that kinda money.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Picked up a Sony 1271Q last week for a pretty good price. Its a small unit doing six hundred lines. It looks its age (1986) externally, was pretty clean internally, however. I love the case.

dPcTakVm.jpg

gN0aaX0m.jpg

ZLA6s8Qm.jpg

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Not to spam the thread, but I came across this, pretty cool:

"Sony PVM Neo Geo Mod"

skate323k137

10 Year Member

Measuring to the outsides of the feet, as close as I can measure it's a 15.25" square (15.25" across the front feet, 15.25" front to back feet). Obviously the actual monitor is a little wider and "deeper" than that, but if your spot is 15.25" or greater square then all the feet will be completely supported.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Measuring to the outsides of the feet, as close as I can measure it's a 15.25" square (15.25" across the front feet, 15.25" front to back feet). Obviously the actual monitor is a little wider and "deeper" than that, but if your spot is 15.25" or greater square then all the feet will be completely supported.

Perfect!!! Thanks so much for the effort man, huge help.

Reclaimer, keep in mind that BVMs are significantly deeper than PVMs due to the input cards on the back. Front to back, the feet are further apart than a PVM... and there's more of the monitor hanging off past the back feet. I can give you the measurements for that later tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, judging by the outside dimensions that's what I figured.

Last edited:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Reclaimer, keep in mind that BVMs are significantly deeper than PVMs due to the input cards on the back. Front to back, the feet are further apart than a PVM... and there's more of the monitor hanging off past the back feet. I can give you the measurements for that later tonight.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

That looks so clean, I love it, I'm one of the few that likes the pixels clean, scanlines reproduction is ok but I prefer that clean look, even better when it's displayed under native rez which means every pixel will be contained in a set number of screen pixels, I do it with mine and when I enforce aspect ratio I get 9 screen pixels 3 rows of 3 per image pixel, that's when you know it looks legit.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
That looks so clean, I love it, I'm one of the few that likes the pixels clean, scanlines reproduction is ok but I prefer that clean look, even better when it's displayed under native rez which means every pixel will be contained in a set number of screen pixels, I do it with mine and when I enforce aspect ratio I get 9 screen pixels 3 rows of 3 per image pixel, that's when you know it looks legit.
My only complaint with every crt ive gotten is they're all so old now that the blacks arent solid unless in a game. If that makes any sense. They're a soft color when nothing is on yet a black when in a game. I watched a video on how to fix it but, its way beyond my tech level and im not opening a crt. But yes I too like the clean pixelated look. Scanlines make things too smooth. If that makes any sense.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
My only complaint with every crt ive gotten is they're all so old now that the blacks arent solid unless in a game. If that makes any sense. They're a soft color when nothing is on yet a black when in a game. I watched a video on how to fix it but, its way beyond my tech level and im not opening a crt. But yes I too like the clean pixelated look. Scanlines make things too smooth. If that makes any sense.

Why would anyone care how dark a blank screen is?

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Why would anyone care how dark a blank screen is?

Sorry im saying this stupidly. How black it is on a solid black screen. Like I was testing around and changing the colors to my preference but for some reason I was using the only thing ive got that is vga right now my 360. The blacks in the menu are all these deepish greys. Or if i look a just a picture of a solid black jpeg to measure richless levels they're not inky black however, in games they are inky black. How or why this happens is beyond me.

Another issue i've got is the screen resolution is insane ( 2304x1440@85HZ ) and i've got nothing that can display that resolution via vga only at the moment until my pc arrives at my destination.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The brightness levels in the 360 are fucked up in hdmi no matter the setting, it wouldn't surprise me if vga was the same way.