CRT Fetish Thread

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Gald you found a card, it would've been such a shame not to play that monitor - it looks gorgeous! :drool:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
That looks really nice, Stella. I'm glad everything worked out with that monitor.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Update to my JVC monitor I bought on eBay. I ended up finding another RGB input card from a seller on craigslist in Chicago. I had to contact them a couple times before he decided to sell me the card, but I'm glad he finally did. I'll try harder next time to get some better photos but I'm so stoked on this JVC TM-H1950CG. Only complaint I can think of is there are no OSD controls that I can find that will allow H & V sizing. Only position. Right now it's perfectly centered for 90% of games outside of some like Mortal Kombat series and other odd resolutions.

Does he have any more cards?
I have just been keeping on a look out for them for last year with no luck.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Does he have any more cards?
I have just been keeping on a look out for them for last year with no luck.

I wish I could say yes. The craigslist seller I picked the card up from had originally listed a full monitor for sale. I messaged him about a month apart each time and he still had the monitor, so he was willing to part with the card. It wasn't cheap also. I wish I could say I got a steal, but I didn't. It is what it is....I just wanted the card. :/

If I were you I would find video/photography forums and post a WTB. That was my next step.

Best of luck...you'll need it.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
That looks really nice, Stella. I'm glad everything worked out with that monitor.

The geometry has me hype. I actually am preferring the curvature of the JVC over the PVMs I own. PVMs are great for horizontal play, however the curvature is no bueno for tate play. I wish you all could see the JVC in person. Damn CRTs just never photograph well!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I never even noticed it until someone mentioned it in this thread. Assholes.

Of course, it doesn't help that mine's only a 20. It would probably be maddening on a larger set.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I never even noticed it until someone mentioned it in this thread. Assholes.

Of course, it doesn't help that mine's only a 20. It would probably be maddening on a larger set.

:keke: The 2950Q I had was good for tate play since the curvature was minimal. But ya, those smaller sets are...."interesting".

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I finally have a working Sega CD console and grabbed some RGB cables for it. Gave it a test before I left for a work trip! Very excited. Looks great.

12549004_1973852769505658_2905458001098094540_n.jpg
12552555_1973852792838989_2500450290271031828_n.jpg
12552989_1973852822838986_988490950994976100_n.jpg
12573148_1973852806172321_7711516730631382227_n.jpg

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I finally have a working Sega CD console and grabbed some RGB cables for it. Gave it a test before I left for a work trip! Very excited. Looks great.

View attachment 32464

thumbs-up-gif.gif

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
How well do CRT survive postal shipping? I've looked for small PVM 8K around me but I only seem to find them overseas. Tempted to get one but it might arrive in ruins...

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I wish I could say yes. The craigslist seller I picked the card up from had originally listed a full monitor for sale. I messaged him about a month apart each time and he still had the monitor, so he was willing to part with the card. It wasn't cheap also. I wish I could say I got a steal, but I didn't. It is what it is....I just wanted the card. :/

If I were you I would find video/photography forums and post a WTB. That was my next step.

Best of luck...you'll need it.

Luckily I already have other crt monitors to game on but I really want to try out that JVC. I know one site where I can purchase a card but it is selling at 150 gbp.

How well do CRT survive postal shipping? I've looked for small PVM 8K around me but I only seem to find them overseas. Tempted to get one but it might arrive in ruins...

I think if the person that's shipping them does a good job with the packaging then most monitors stand a good chance of surviving. But I've heard enough stories to know that there are a bunch of people that suck at shipping crts. My only experience with shipping a crt monitor involved paying another company to package and ship the tv for me and they did a good job.

If I were to buy another crt monitor from far I would ask them about their shipping methods first.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nice looking PVM there! Wish the nanao ms-2930 looked as sharp as the PVM...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Make sure it's insured, CRTs have a good chance of dying during shipping, even if they aren't outright dropped.

djlooka

n00b
Help with PVM-20M4A

Hi everyone, I'm sure this isn't the right place to ask for this but I'm a bit desperate and I was also unable to create a new thread.

I bought a PVM-20M4A on ebay and I received the monitor today. The packaging looked alright, I just noticed that the monitor was lying on one side in the box.

I have been unable to make it display anything though.
Here's a picture of my cable setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/shhha0cc8r78lgc/20160202_235029.jpg?dl=0
The BNC cables are connected to a female SCART connector, to which I plugged my RGB video source (a Super Nintendo).

I also have shot 3 videos representing what happens with:
- no video input, just powering up the monitor: https://youtu.be/Po87zO4dgxU
- RGB video input, without the EXT. SYNC cable (you can hear the sound coming from SMW in the background): https://youtu.be/VFAMcXjESvk
- RGB video input, with the EXT. SYNC cable plugged in: https://youtu.be/lC3Byr0wX7Y

In all the above cases, the monitor seems to go into a sort of standby mode right after being powered on. It doesn't react to me pressing any button.
I cannot also access the sytem menu at any time.

Sorry posting this here and thank you for any help.

P.S.: I already contacted the seller with all the above info and I'm waiting for his reply.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm sure this isn't the right place to ask for this but I'm a bit desperate and I was also unable to create a new thread.

I bought a PVM-20M4A on ebay and I received the monitor today. The packaging looked alright, I just noticed that the monitor was lying on one side in the box.

I have been unable to make it display anything though.
Here's a picture of my cable setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/shhha0cc8r78lgc/20160202_235029.jpg?dl=0
The BNC cables are connected to a female SCART connector, to which I plugged my RGB video source (a Super Nintendo).

I also have shot 3 videos representing what happens with:
- no video input, just powering up the monitor: https://youtu.be/Po87zO4dgxU
- RGB video input, without the EXT. SYNC cable (you can hear the sound coming from SMW in the background): https://youtu.be/VFAMcXjESvk
- RGB video input, with the EXT. SYNC cable plugged in: https://youtu.be/lC3Byr0wX7Y

In all the above cases, the monitor seems to go into a sort of standby mode right after being powered on. It doesn't react to me pressing any button.
I cannot also access the sytem menu at any time.

Sorry posting this here and thank you for any help.

P.S.: I already contacted the seller with all the above info and I'm waiting for his reply.

That doesn't seem right at all. I'm gonna say DOA.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
+10000000000

I generally HATE PVMs for tate game play. The screen curve is distracting as hell.

Strangely enough, many devs that made shooties used that as a kinda going over a curved area type of effect. I'm not sure where I read it, but some Jp Shootie dev said that was one of the things that they missed once arcade monitors went to a more flat screen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd try the composite or svideo inputs to see if those work, but even if the monitor isn't getting a signal it can recognize it shouldn't be turning off by itself like that. I think shipping may have killed another one.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Strangely enough, many devs that made shooties used that as a kinda going over a curved area type of effect. I'm not sure where I read it, but some Jp Shootie dev said that was one of the things that they missed once arcade monitors went to a more flat screen.

I have independently noticed the curvature on the PVMs (I have a 20") being quite apparent when in TATE mode, so it's definitely a thing. I could see that a ship would look like it's rolling over a hump, especially if the display was close to your face, like in a Neo Geo Goldie, but in TATE.

It would be interesting to track down your source and read the rest of the article.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I hit up the only thrift store in the area that accepts CRTs, hoping to find a 27" TV for laserdisc viewing. I didn't find that, but what I did find...

attachment.php

A Dell (rebadged Sony FD Trinitron) 21 inch P1130 monitor! The best part?

attachment.php

:keke: I hooked my XRGB2 up to it, and it's glorious!

attachment.php

The pic is a bit dim, the actual monitor is a bit brighter than that. I do wish it were a tad brighter, but with scanlines enabled on the XRGB2 this is about as good as I can make it.

Is it better than my 20" PVM? Hmm, that's a tough one. It's close enough that I'd have to think really hard about it. The coloring is a little better on the PVM I think, but it could be that I don't have the settings dialed in on the new monitor correctly, I haven't messed with the color temp or anything. The sharpness is better on the Dell of course, but it's not too sharp either. The Geometry of the Dell kicks the shit out of the PVM, and there are many on screen adjustments I can do that I can't do on the PVM without removing the back cover.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Pretty sure that's limited to just those high resolution signals, so it'll be of no use for older consoles and no telling if newer ones would actually work.