CRT Fetish Thread

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Picked up a very clean Olympus monitor this past weekend. Something's not quite right, however. From time to time it makes a clicking sound and the picture jumps :(

Read about this before. Might be high voltage arcing from dust/dirt or a failing component inside the monitor (flyback?). The arcing would cause a recurring popping sound and affect the picture. Someone knowledgeable may wanna chime in on what to do, but I personally wouldn't tinker with it myself due to the potential danger. I guess it looks so pristine because it was in a clean hospital environment, but it was probably in continuous use for years and its internal parts are worn down. Unless you know what you're doing or know someone who can look at it, it may be best to junk it and get another CRT.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's pretty much a crt thing in general.

It can be fixed, but these monitors aren't trivial to work in and might not be worth the cost of repair vs picking another up.

I apologize as this isn't CRT related but I don't know where else to turn to for this. When I first registered to this site I was able to view attachments no problem but then about a week later whenever I would try to view an attachment I would get a message basically saying that I do not have permission for that. I emailed some mods a few weeks back and I've gotten no response so I was wondering if someone here can let me know who I can contact or what I can do to fix this

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Same here with my Mitsubishi Megaview. Get a refund on that shit Wyo!

Wish I could man. It was sold "as is" at a local auction place. I turned it on for a couple of minutes before bidding and everything was fine. Didn't notice the problem until I tried playing a game on it later at my house. The PQ is excellent with no burn in so I'm gonna investigate having it fixed. If that's not doable for a reasonable amount I'll have to junk it and write off a hundo. What annoys me is there was another lady bidding up the price. Could have had it for $20 otherwise... Lesson learned: Don't be too eager with these things people! :D

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Wish I could man. It was sold "as is" at a local auction place. I turned it on for a couple of minutes before bidding and everything was fine. Didn't notice the problem until I tried playing a game on it later at my house. The PQ is excellent with no burn in so I'm gonna investigate having it fixed. If that's not doable for a reasonable amount I'll have to junk it and write off a hundo. What annoys me is there was another lady bidding up the price. Could have had it for $20 otherwise... Lesson learned: Don't be too eager with these things people! :D

You could turn it into a drinking game every time the picture jumps. Always look at the bright side.
:D

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Anyone know what would cause "bending" on certain parts of the display? Not sure if this is a sync issue, or my PVM needs a cap kit.

This doesn't occur when I hook up the AV famicom to my XRGB mini, nor does it occur using the NESRGB composite video out on another CRT.

The only other console I've experienced this sort of behavior with is the OG Xbox on certain titles, but I think that's an unrelated sync issue. SNES, Saturn, etc looks great on the PVM and doesn't exhibit this weird issue.

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Anyone know what would cause "bending" on certain parts of the display? Not sure if this is a sync issue, or my PVM needs a cap kit.

This doesn't occur when I hook up the AV famicom to my XRGB mini, nor does it occur using the NESRGB composite video out on another CRT.

The only other console I've experienced this sort of behavior with is the OG Xbox on certain titles, but I think that's an unrelated sync issue. SNES, Saturn, etc looks great on the PVM and doesn't exhibit this weird issue.

Do you have a photo of the "bending" issue? If the bending only happens on some consoles and not others, it doesn't sound like the PVM...necessarily. Are you using CSYNC or composite video as sync? Is the AV Famicom RGB modded?

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Do you have a photo of the "bending" issue? If the bending only happens on some consoles and not others, it doesn't sound like the PVM...necessarily. Are you using CSYNC or composite video as sync? Is the AV Famicom RGB modded?

Here's a quick video, actually I shouldn't have mentioned the Xbox thing as its a different issue. To be honest, I'm not sure whether the cables I have are wired for CSYNC or composite video...one of them is from retro_console_accessories on eBay, another one I tried is a generic one from China, same issue.

Here's a picture from Super Mario Bros 1 too:
kT84kGA.jpg

Only brighter screens seem to be affected; like level 1 in Super Mario is effected, but Level 2 in the tunnels is not. Also, games like Castlevania 3 don't seem to have any issues at all (at least within the first couple levels).

I modded the AV Famicom with viletim's NESRGB board and it works perfectly with the NESRGB composite out on another CRT, as well as with the RGB out to my Framemeister. Only the PVM-1910 is affected.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Here's a quick video, actually I shouldn't have mentioned the Xbox thing as its a different issue. To be honest, I'm not sure whether the cables I have are wired for CSYNC or composite video...one of them is from retro_console_accessories on eBay, another one I tried is a generic one from China, same issue.

Here's a picture from Super Mario Bros 1 too:
View attachment 32197

Only brighter screens seem to be affected; like level 1 in Super Mario is effected, but Level 2 in the tunnels is not. Also, games like Castlevania 3 don't seem to have any issues at all (at least within the first couple levels).

I modded the AV Famicom with viletim's NESRGB board and it works perfectly with the NESRGB composite out on another CRT, as well as with the RGB out to my Framemeister. Only the PVM-1910 is affected.

I feel confident you have a sync issue. Some PVMs are sensitive to it, especially with screens with solid bright colors. You should test Kirby's Adventure. The waves happen bad in the intro. I didn't have issues on another PVM with my original cable using sync on composite, however my 14L2 did. Just like yours.

I actually ended up purchasing this cable since it was wired up for csync - http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704904959?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also did you wire up CS# and all other connections to multi-out when you did the mod?

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I feel confident you have a sync issue. Some PVMs are sensitive to it, especially with screens with solid bright colors. You should test Kirby's Adventure. The waves happen bad in the intro. I didn't have issues on another PVM with my original cable using sync on composite, however my 14L2 did. Just like yours.

I actually ended up purchasing this cable since it was wired up for csync - http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704904959?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also did you wire up CS# and all other connections to multi-out when you did the mod?

Thanks for the info. I'll snag one of those cables w/ csync and give it a try.

I just followed the instructions outlined at http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation-famicomav/ so I wired up only R, G, B and composite video (cutting the trace for the old composite video line). So I'm guessing I'll need to wire up CS# for csync to work on that other cable? Anything else I'll need to wire up as well?

Edit: Oh also, I tried Kirby's Adventure and sure enough, it definitely suffers from the wavy/bending issue.

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I'll snag one of those cables w/ csync and give it a try.

I just followed the instructions outlined at http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation-famicomav/ so I wired up only R, G, B and composite video (cutting the trace for the old composite video line). So I'm guessing I'll need to wire up CS# for csync to work on that other cable? Anything else I'll need to wire up as well?

Edit: Oh also, I tried Kirby's Adventure and sure enough, it definitely suffers from the wavy/bending issue.

Yes connect CS# from NESRGB board to the corresponding multi-out pin. Glad we identified the issue, i'm positive we've resolved this one. :cool:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Yes connect CS# from NESRGB board to the corresponding multi-out pin. Glad we identified the issue, i'm positive we've resolved this one. :cool:

Sweet, thanks for your insight into this issue! I'll report back when I get the csync cable and hookup CS#. In the meantime, I guess I'll be playing via the XRGB mini :D

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
So to test out your theory with my existing cable, I just moved the wire over from composite video out on the NESRGB board to CS# and it works perfectly now.

Thanks again!!

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
So to test out your theory with my existing cable, I just moved the wire over from composite video out on the NESRGB board to CS# and it works perfectly now.

Thanks again!!

No problem. Glad you got it working.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Sony Multiscan E210 PC computer monitor. Martial Masters running in Groovymame:

IMG_0988.JPG

Thanks for all the help dude. Got groovymame set up on one of my Unis and its fucking flawless. Some of the emulation for the newest Cave stuff is still a bit lacking, but everything else runs damn near perfect. None of the scrolling or tearing of the Pandora. I don't think I'll ever buy a pcb again.

dakone

n00b
So much great info. This is an amazing thread.
Please forgive the shameless self promotion but I thought you guys might appreciate the subreddit I started about CRT gaming.
reddit.com/r/crtgaming

Of course I posted this thread there.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Update to my JVC monitor I bought on eBay. I ended up finding another RGB input card from a seller on craigslist in Chicago. I had to contact them a couple times before he decided to sell me the card, but I'm glad he finally did. I'll try harder next time to get some better photos but I'm so stoked on this JVC TM-H1950CG. Only complaint I can think of is there are no OSD controls that I can find that will allow H & V sizing. Only position. Right now it's perfectly centered for 90% of games outside of some like Mortal Kombat series and other odd resolutions.

Attachments

• grid.png
    grid.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
My other image for some reason has corrupted when I uploaded it and it won't remove from the post...

Here's another: IMG_4543.jpg

Last edited: