CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sony Multiscan E210 PC computer monitor. Martial Masters running in Groovymame:

IMG_0988.JPG

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
That looks really nice. How did you get 240p on that monitor? I thought it did 31KHz/480p minimum, no SD resolutions.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That looks really nice. How did you get 240p on that monitor? I thought it did 31KHz/480p minimum, no SD resolutions.

Just guessing here but MAME has a scanline overlay. I use it by default.

Looks damn nice Yodd.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's a scanline overlay.

With Groovymame and the CRT emu drivers, you can display at the native resolution and refresh rate on a 15Khz monitor or double resolution and native refresh on a 31Khz monitor. It's really slick.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah, it's a scanline overlay.

With Groovymame and the CRT emu drivers, you can display at the native resolution and refresh rate on a 15Khz monitor or double resolution and native refresh on a 31Khz monitor. It's really slick.

Yeah I tried that on my 15/31KHz monitor, it's pretty cool. But had no idea there was a scanline generator in there, probably because I didn't need it and think to look for it. In person, does it look comparable to a PVM? I'm not home to try it out myself.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah I tried that on my 15/31KHz monitor, it's pretty cool. But had no idea there was a scanline generator in there, probably because I didn't need it and think to look for it. In person, does it look comparable to a PVM? I'm not home to try it out myself.

Really it comes down to the monitor. I would say your average, decent quality PC monitor has an image quality comparable to a 1000 line BVM. You know how with these high end BVMs the picture can look a little too good? Sometimes with a PC monitor it's like that. Using something like a XRGB2 scaler with a PC crt monitor for consoles it's sometimes the same thing compared to low line count PVMs. Though I have noticed you don't get the crazy, over saturated color that you sometimes get with low res tubes.

I guess when we are use to 500 or 600 line arcade CRTs and broadcast monitors, these 1000 line monitors can be a bit revealing.

Though, to be honest, I don't care. Hello $10 PC monitors! :buttrock:

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
How are the sound quality of those Sony ss-x6a speakers that you attach to the side of a PVM 2530?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Well here's my new 2530 PVM all nice and cleaned up. It took a couple of days but it turned out really nice. When I first picked it up, there was a layer of REALLY old and nasty looking tape around the frame of the tv that would not come off. After applying three applications of goo gone, I took a razor blade and began the slow and careful process of scraping off all that tape. When the tape was coming off it became yellow powder that was really nasty and probably not good to inhale.
After that was completed, the razor left scuff marks (not scratches) across the surface of the tv. So I took the tv outside, covered areas in painters tape and (I don't know if this is sacrilege to PVM owners here) spray painted a nice couple layers of black paint that complements the dark gray back panel. After letting it dry outside overnight, I brought it back in and it looks 100 times better then when I first bought it. Now all I have to do is take the back off and wash that down of all the dust and cobwebs on the back and dry it off before placing it back on. After that I'll be using the 240p test suite to help me adjust the monitor's screen and I'll be golden!
Am I part of the PVM club now?
lol:lolz:
Also before you ask the sony symbol on the bottom was always missing. I'll be trying to find a replacement eventually.

im in the same boat as you.

This is my third pvm and my fourth crt. Im definitely drawing the line at this one. Just couldnt pass it up for the price.

There is a bit of curvature on the corners and the color tint seems a bit off compared to my other CRTs but its not too bad. Gonna have to tinker with settings to make sure whether or not it could be fixed. Hopefully its nothing that requires any real work comes I am not fucking with the internals of a CRT. Also gonna be needing a DB25 to SCART cable.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just received my JVC TM-H1950CG from a seller on eBay. It was listed with the RGB/Component input card. Once I opened the package I realized the seller swapped out the RGB card with an SDI add-on card.

Hope this gets resolved...these cards are not easy to come by.

Was this ever resolved?

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Was this ever resolved?

Negative. I have to send the monitor back to the original seller. They were unsuccessful in finding the original RGB card. I was also unsuccessful looking for one as well.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
That would be some major BS if you have to pay the return shipping. It is definitely no accident that the RGB card isn't in your monitor.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That would be some major BS if you have to pay the return shipping. It is definitely no accident that the RGB card isn't in your monitor.

Yeah, fuck that. You should start a claim with eBay since it didn't come with what was in the description.

They will probably make the seller pay return shipping and side with you (hopefully).

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
There was one on eBay that went unsold.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331727346502
Try contacting the seller, sensorium7... assuming you keep the monitor. If not, there's a couple of others JVCs floating around eBay with the card on the back.

Don't mean to be a jerk and rub it in but I have three. I plan to get another JVC and keep the third card as backup in case of failure, so I'm holding on to them. They're extremely hard to find and I got really lucky.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there a good small PVM/BVM that does RGBS, Composite, S-video and Component? I hate looking at component on my small LCD when testing.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
There was one on eBay that went unsold.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331727346502
Try contacting the seller, sensorium7... assuming you keep the monitor. If not, there's a couple of others JVCs floating around eBay with the card on the back.

Don't mean to be a jerk and rub it in but I have three. I plan to get another JVC and keep the third card as backup in case of failure, so I'm holding on to them. They're extremely hard to find and I got really lucky.

I did contact him and a multitude of other people and defunct stores. Nothing at the moment. I would like to keep the monitor, just not wanting to chase this unicorn.

In other news I bought 2 Extron RGBHV switches, but the other smaller unit I bought was DOA. I ended up setting up the Extron System 8 switcher since it was functioning. It's not bad at all. Does the job and I really like the ability to adjust the audio pot to level out the sound across all systems.

IMG_4434.JPG

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Picked up a very clean Olympus monitor this past weekend. Something's not quite right, however. From time to time it makes a clicking sound and the picture jumps :(

DSC00456 (Large).JPG