CRT Fetish Thread

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
It only has one Svideo out, but I wasn't going to use Svideo anyway. But as God as my witness the rgb was perfect.
As I asked earlier, can anyone tell me where I can find online instructions to the video screw adjustments on the back on the 2530? I need to fix the aspect ratio.

If you can't find it via Google, you could try contacting phonedork. He's on here sometimes. He did a video about the 2530, and he shows himself making adjustments to the pots on the internal PCB.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
If you can't find it via Google, you could try contacting phonedork. He's on here sometimes. He did a video about the 2530, and he shows himself making adjustments to the pots on the internal PCB.

I've watched that video multiple times. Really good video.
Good idea! I'll try to get in touch with him.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's a thread around here somewhere with service manuals for lots of pvms, go find it.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Aparently the caps for the sound connectors are missing and I have no idea where to get others to replace them. So I basically have no ability to have sound with this tv and I need to know where I can get something like this repaired or replaced.
Can anyone help?

It looks like you are only missing the plastic spring clips which would hold the speaker wires in place to the metal terminals.
If so then this is an easy fix - you can get a speaker terminal plate / hifi style speaker binding posts and affix these to the exposed metal terminals or perhaps even utilise the plastic spring clips from a speaker terminal plate and use these directly on the PVM's metal terminal connectors.
At the purest ghetto level you could equally well just solder the speaker wires to these terminals.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I personally don't know if I would bother fixing the speaker output on it.
My PVM 2950's built in audio amplifier is terrible. Not very hifi like and has exgatterated bass.

I tested it with a pair of bookshelf speakers and wasn't impressed at all.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I've never used the built-in audio on my PVM, I just have everything go into my stereo receiver.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've never used the built-in audio on my PVM, I just have everything go into my stereo receiver.

Same here. I found a Sony receiver at the thrift and grabbed a reasonably priced pair of bookshelf speakers on Amazon. The built-in PVM audio is pure weak sauce.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I did that as well, although I was annoyed to find out the bookshelf speakers I picked out weren't magnetically shielded so I had to space them out pretty far from the monitor.

I use giant 80's speakers now, got that BOOM BOOM BOOM.

I can also confirm- audio on the PVMs is subpar at best. I just use a cheap 2.0 Lepai amp and some Energy Bookshelf speakers and everything sounds awesome.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
002.JPG
Well here's my new 2530 PVM all nice and cleaned up. It took a couple of days but it turned out really nice. When I first picked it up, there was a layer of REALLY old and nasty looking tape around the frame of the tv that would not come off. After applying three applications of goo gone, I took a razor blade and began the slow and careful process of scraping off all that tape. When the tape was coming off it became yellow powder that was really nasty and probably not good to inhale.
After that was completed, the razor left scuff marks (not scratches) across the surface of the tv. So I took the tv outside, covered areas in painters tape and (I don't know if this is sacrilege to PVM owners here) spray painted a nice couple layers of black paint that complements the dark gray back panel. After letting it dry outside overnight, I brought it back in and it looks 100 times better then when I first bought it. Now all I have to do is take the back off and wash that down of all the dust and cobwebs on the back and dry it off before placing it back on. After that I'll be using the 240p test suite to help me adjust the monitor's screen and I'll be golden!
Am I part of the PVM club now?
lol:lolz:
Also before you ask the sony symbol on the bottom was always missing. I'll be trying to find a replacement eventually.

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I just received my JVC TM-H1950CG from a seller on eBay. It was listed with the RGB/Component input card. Once I opened the package I realized the seller swapped out the RGB card with an SDI add-on card.

Hope this gets resolved...these cards are not easy to come by.

cis18a-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I would say that qualifies as "not as described." Good luck sorting it out.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
View attachment 31707
Am I part of the PVM club now?

After all of the effort, I would say so! The monitor looks great. I have a couple of 2530s; one is great and is my main monitor, the other is beat to hell and I don't know if I will ever get around to fixing it. I posted pictures a long time ago.

Congrats and enjoy; the 2030 and 2530 are what I identify with "PVM". It is the monitor used in the banners here after all. :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It is pretty blinding. I was using then to power some Dayton bookshelves and they sounded great considering how little I paid. I replaced the Lepai with an actual receiver and although it could get louder I'm not certain it was better.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It is pretty blinding. I was using then to power some Dayton bookshelves and they sounded great considering how little I paid. I replaced the Lepai with an actual receiver and although it could get louder I'm not certain it was better.

Man those Dayton bookshelf speakers have taken a dive in quality as of late. I had a pair about 5 years ago that were awesome and after buying some new speakers, I gave them away. I bought a new pair just last month off amazon for my record setup and they sounded so tinny I sent them back.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I was given a pair of Harmon kardon powered speakers today but I have no idea if they are shielded or not. Is it safe to have them under the desk the pvm is on? Also I couldnt care less about these speakers so is tge only downside of plugging them straight to a neo geo board possibly blowing the speakers themselves or could I do damage to the board since they are powered?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I was given a pair of Harmon kardon powered speakers today but I have no idea if they are shielded or not. Is it safe to have them under the desk the pvm is on? Also I couldnt care less about these speakers so is tge only downside of plugging them straight to a neo geo board possibly blowing the speakers themselves or could I do damage to the board since they are powered?

If you're using powered speakers, run the neo headphones audio to them. They'll be fine. Worst case if the magnets are too close to your monitor you might get some discoloration but just move them in that case.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
If you're using powered speakers, run the neo headphones audio to them. They'll be fine. Worst case if the magnets are too close to your monitor you might get some discoloration but just move them in that case.

I can run it from my jamma but I don't think I have headphone input on the neo, would that be a sufficient solution?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just received my JVC TM-H1950CG from a seller on eBay. It was listed with the RGB/Component input card. Once I opened the package I realized the seller swapped out the RGB card with an SDI add-on card.

Hope this gets resolved...these cards are not easy to come by.

What an asshole. That seller, bytefixx-nh, ripped you off on purpose. I was eyeing that exact monitor for a long time just for the RGB/Component card so I could swap it into another JVC CRT I had my eye on (HD model for 480/720p gaming). I messaged him on ebay asking him if he would sell me the video card separately as I was mainly interested in that and not the whole monitor. He never responded but must've looked into the part, found out its value and assumed the next person wouldn't know any better if he quietly swapped it out. Definitely contact the seller demanding the part as it's quite rare, expensive and downright necessary to the monitor's function.

This other seller bumped up the price of the monitor he's been selling for a while by a $100 and now prominently mentions the card in the listing title... perfectly within his rights of course as he's not behaving like the seller above, but just shows that some of these guys know what they have on their hands.
www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-H1950CG-19-...w-Component-RGB-Card-IF-C01COMG-/151917432402

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I can run it from my jamma but I don't think I have headphone input on the neo, would that be a sufficient solution?

No. you are sending an amplified signal into speakers that will attempt to amplify it. Audio from JAMMA must go into a passive speaker (or an attenuation circuit to lower the level first)

I sold you the MV-1F right? It does have headphones out, it's just on a 4 pin connector not a normal headphones jack. Adapters are available. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?199605-MVS-1F-Motherboard-headphone-pin-out

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
No. you are sending an amplified signal into speakers that will attempt to amplify it. Audio from JAMMA must go into a passive speaker (or an attenuation circuit to lower the level first)

I sold you the MV-1F right? It does have headphones out, it's just on a 4 pin connector not a normal headphones jack. Adapters are available. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?199605-MVS-1F-Motherboard-headphone-pin-out

Yup you did, I'll have to make an adapter. Thanks!

Last edited: