CRT Fetish Thread

theres a guy near me locally selling a PVM20L5 which he claims is not working for $200 which IMO is a lot of money for a possibly dead monitor. thing is in his pictures the menu screen comes up so it seems the tube itself may be fine and I wonder if its just bad settings. he claims he only has tried S-video and did not get an image. I asked about the menu screen and he says it displays but the image is "jumpy" like its going from 240p to 240i all the time.

I noticed his format is set to "forced NTSC" I wonder if that's the reason for the issues. I don't know. I'm not a CRT tech but it's awfully tempting to make an offer but last thing I need is a 100 pound cube for a doorstop.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
theres a guy near me locally selling a PVM20L5 which he claims is not working for $200 which IMO is a lot of money for a possibly dead monitor. thing is in his pictures the menu screen comes up so it seems the tube itself may be fine and I wonder if its just bad settings. he claims he only has tried S-video and did not get an image. I asked about the menu screen and he says it displays but the image is "jumpy" like its going from 240p to 240i all the time.

I noticed his format is set to "forced NTSC" I wonder if that's the reason for the issues. I don't know. I'm not a CRT tech but it's awfully tempting to make an offer but last thing I need is a 100 pound cube for a doorstop.

Why don't you just buy this one?
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/ele/5220425367.html

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
200 USD? way too much for a PVM.

I wouldn't say that's too expensive for that model pvm, considering how sought after it is and the area he lives. There are other factors as well like conditioning and functionality. You can use that knowledge whenever you try to haggle.

But for that specific PVM I would not offer more than $20. It might be an easy fix like just switching the settings on the menu. But it could also be something you can't fix and you end up with dead weight.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
So being new to this forum and checking out the sweetness of crt's, I took it upon myself to get a Nec 3PG. Any advise on what to buy to hook my neo geo up to this beast?

Hey man, I'm local to you. Was that the 3PG a guy named Jeremy was selling on CL? It had a painted case and hand painted lettering on the front? That guy jerked me around a ton months and months ago offering me an XM29. I got back to him immediately, and after trying to contact him for a week he told me it was sold and would not tell me where it was listed, how much he was asking or anything. It was really irritating. Then he wanted my PVM-2530 in trade for the 3PG, and again disappeared and never answered me again after we were supposed to make a deal. How are you enjoying the 3PG?

Better quality pics here

I wanted to thank you again, it's all up and running with the remote etc. I did try to hook up my model 1 Genesis, but could not get it to sync without a stripper circuit or strike. Buying new equipment to make it all work will have to wait! Real life calls!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Finally came up with a solution for stacking my PVM on, with enough room to drag out the old Samsung while I was at it!

file.php

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Finally came up with a solution for stacking my PVM on, with enough room to drag out the old Samsung while I was at it!

file.php

nice job man, looks sharp! I have my PVM 20 and my PVM 13 right next to each other in a similar manner.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I game mostly on the pvm, the big tv is for laserdiscs. I also have a ps3 hooked up to it, component is great on that set

AshenLight

n00b
Just got myself a Sony PVM 1953ST, and it's beautiful. But I can't find much about the specs anywhere. I'm particularly wondering if it will accept both csync and sync on composite video and if it can output 480p or not, but anything else you guys can tell me about it would be great.

Thanks!

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The 1953, for all intents and purposes, is the same as the 20M2MDU and Olympus OEV203. It may be slightly different on what parts are used inside of it, but display wise there should be essentially no difference.

600TVL count, 240p/480i only (no 480p+), (likely) support for multi-region color encoding (NTSC/PAL/SECAM); Supports RGB and Component "YPbPr".

As for sync, it should be happy taking Composite Video, Composite Sync, Luma sync, or Sync on Green. My experiences with the MDU and OEV have shown them to be extremely accepting of different sync types.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug

file.php

I have the same Samsung set. Bought it brand new out of college with my first design commission! Haha. Up until recently I had been using it with a CSY2100 clone and I argue it looked just as good as a PVM-2030/2530 with better geometry. It even has built in test screens for tweaking geometry. I really like it but am struggling to find a reason to keep it now that I have an XM29.

This is from a comparison I did on my Samsung a while back. It really has a fantastic picture.

16307850096_34346f44c5.jpg

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I have the same Samsung set. Bought it brand new out of college with my first design commission! Haha. Up until recently I had been using it with a CSY2100 clone and I argue it looked just as good as a PVM-2030/2530 with better geometry. It even has built in test screens for tweaking geometry. I really like it but am struggling to find a reason to keep it now that I have an XM29.

This is from a comparison I did on my Samsung a while back. It really has a fantastic picture.

I have a similar Samsung, though mine in a 20 incher. It has an absolutely stellar picture and was manufactured in 2005. What year and model is yours? (this goes for GohanX too)

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Mine is from 2005 as well, I don't have the model off hand, I put it in my friend's basement for storage last week. It has a "TX" in it, that's all I remember.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have no idea, I'll have to check. I have the same rgb to component converter and it is really stunning on this set. The pvm blows it out if the water on color clarity though, dunno if that's because if the tv or the transcoder.

Ashenlight, if that monitor is the same as mine (olympus) then it's not picky about sync at all, it's worked with everything I've ever tried with it.

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I have no idea, I'll have to check. I have the same rgb to component converter and it is really stunning on this set. The pvm blows it out if the water on color clarity though, dunno if that's because if the tv or the transcoder.

Ashenlight, if that monitor is the same as mine (olympus) then it's not picky about sync at all, it's worked with everything I've ever tried with it.

I've only used composite, svideo and component on my Samsung. But it looks fantastic though a bit worse than the PVMs.
I don't have a transcoder to see how RGB compares.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The set has excellent component, it might actually beat the pvm in component, but not rgb. I have a ps3 as the lone system going to the Sammy.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Those 8" BVMs I just picked up whine like stuck pigs. It's really loud and more pronounced than any crt I've ever seen.

I have larger BVM/PVM monitors but was thinking of picking up one of these little ones just to have it around. Are they all loud or just the batch you came across?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
loud / high pitch whine is usually a sign of them being on their last leg. Mind you a very quiet whine is noticed by some people on pretty much any CRT, but I've owned many PVMs and for the most part the ones with a loud whine have kicked the bucket sooner than later.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Hi guys

I am trying to buy a decent sony crt as well, I have 2 options:

The BVM 2016p. The problem is, I can't find any info on this. Is it a good monitor and what is the resolution ? Would be great if someone can provide some more info.

Option 2:PVM 2730qm. Nice big screen, but resolution only 480. Is this still a good monitor to have ? Also compared with euro consumer crt's that accept RGB ?

Thanks

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Hi guys

I am trying to buy a decent sony crt as well, I have 2 options:

The BVM 2016p. The problem is, I can't find any info on this. Is it a good monitor and what is the resolution ? Would be great if someone can provide some more info.

Option 2:PVM 2730qm. Nice big screen, but resolution only 480. Is this still a good monitor to have ? Also compared with euro consumer crt's that accept RGB ?

Thanks

BVM-2016 is the same as a BVM-1916. Search for the second instead.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
My setup for old stuff atm, no skitty detected. +1 for super boot aes game, lamuna 2.0

RR6pLrm.jpg