CRT Fetish Thread

Got a Sony trinitron 14 tv, I connevt my retro consoles via a rgb switch box ,

I notice the pixture vibrates a little in a weird wave judder movement , I only notice it when it's a still screen .
I am connecting my neo aes via rgb scart and I have noticed this . Is it anything to worry about ?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Toward the higher end of my limit for a 20" but the PVM 20M2U is a nice monitor.

Thanks. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon.

Besides obvious stuff, are there any subtle problems I should be looking out for?

lui

n00b
Yes, where are you based?

Disregard my comment, the monitor has no input cards, therefore it essentially cannot be used at the moment.

I finally fixed the sync issue with my BVM and JVC when passthrough was used. I just needed a 75 to ground on the sync line and to celebrate some RGB monitor shots:

Would it be possible to take an image of the same signal on both monitors as comparison?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Thanks. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon.

Besides obvious stuff, are there any subtle problems I should be looking out for?

A little late on this, but not really. Geometry, convergence, and make sure the flyback isn't squealing (high pitched wine). You'll hear it if it is.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
A little late on this, but not really. Geometry, convergence, and make sure the flyback isn't squealing (high pitched wine). You'll hear it if it is.

Yeah you're too late I already bought. Thanks for the reply though.

I din't notive anything wrong with it but there is one problem. There is an NTSC caption in the bottom left corner and for life of me I cant get rid of it. I went through the menu and cant figure out how to get rid of it. I'm on S-Video for now and hoping like hell that when my RGB cables come and I switch over, it'll disappear.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yeah you're too late I already bought. Thanks for the reply though.

I din't notive anything wrong with it but there is one problem. There is an NTSC caption in the bottom left corner and for life of me I cant get rid of it. I went through the menu and cant figure out how to get rid of it. I'm on S-Video for now and hoping like hell that when my RGB cables come and I switch over, it'll disappear.

That's really weird. Normally that only shows for a few seconds when a new video source/format is detected. I couldn't find anything on a quick glance but the service menu is here if you need it http://neohyphengeo.com/OCR Sony PVM-20M2U Service Manual.pdf

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Skips reviews were really informative.

He punishing somebody for something?

Wtf?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well this isn't a professional monitor by any stretch but I recently picked up a Loewe Arcada 8772ZP, it's a 29" CRT and 3 lovely SCART RGB inputs woo! Only $23.

Doesn't look too shabby.

733quarter.jpg

One thing that does bug me is it keeps defaulting to 16:9 wide view mode. Is this because I'm only supplying +5v to SCART pin 8? I've read somewhere that I might need +12v to force 4:3 but I'm wondering if there is a workaround?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Well this isn't a professional monitor by any stretch but I recently picked up a Loewe Arcada 8772ZP, it's a 29" CRT and 3 lovely SCART RGB inputs woo! Only $23.

Doesn't look too shabby.

View attachment 23331

One thing that does bug me is it keeps defaulting to 16:9 wide view mode. Is this because I'm only supplying +5v to SCART pin 8? I've read somewhere that I might need +12v to force 4:3 but I'm wondering if there is a workaround?

Pretty much correct. There are circuits you can install in the scart shell that pump the 5v to 12v. They are usually referred to as charge pumps. Might need to check with the Euro folks on how well that works or suggestions on one to try.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Pretty much correct. There are circuits you can install in the scart shell that pump the 5v to 12v. They are usually referred to as charge pumps. Might need to check with the Euro folks on how well that works or suggestions on one to try.

Exactly right, while it is possible to build / purchase a charge pump circuit yourself, a more hassle free way to obtain the same is to search French ebay (ebay.fr) for the official Sega Master System / Mega Drive scart cable, which has such a pump built in and adopt that. Good idea is to search for 'sega peritel' - they usually go for EUR 10-20 and I guess if one is using a scart switchbox such a circuit could be placed between the switchbox and TV (or integrated into the switchbox) thus ensuring that all connected devices benefit from the 5V-->12V increase.

PS. there is no real workaround other than that if you disconnect PIN 8 the TV will stop defaulting to 16:9 however you will have to choose the scart input manually i.e. it will loose the autosensing that a device is connected to the scart socket and powered on.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Skips reviews were really informative.

Yeah, they were. His posts in general were quite insightful in this thread and this thread encouraged me to pursue RGB monitors. I now have a couple of PVMs; a 2030 and 20M2U (I think) and I hope to do reviews on them soon. They won't be as detailed as Skips, but maybe some will find them useful nonetheless.

I was wondering, my PVMs are 550 and 600 lines respectively; is the difference really noticeable with monitors that have more lines?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yeah, they were. His posts in general were quite insightful in this thread and this thread encouraged me to pursue RGB monitors. I now have a couple of PVMs; a 2030 and 20M2U (I think) and I hope to do reviews on them soon. They won't be as detailed as Skips, but maybe some will find them useful nonetheless.

I was wondering, my PVMs are 550 and 600 lines respectively; is the difference really noticeable with monitors that have more lines?

If you jump from ~600 TVL to an 800 TVL PVM, you can definitely notice. The increased capability to display more vertical lines (the TV lines spec) results in the scanlines being a bit more pronounced. The 800 TVL PVM/BVM monitors have really thick scanlines. The difference between my 20M2MDU (600) and 20M4U (800) is really noticeable. Both are fantastic monitors for gaming and I still use the 20M2MDU for most of my consoles.

Here's a shot of the 20M4U; it's hard to tell how pronounced the scanlines are because I didn't turn down the brightness to take the photo, but you can still get an idea.

Spoiler:
20150226_004525.jpg.jpg

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Doesn't look too shabby.

View attachment 23331

Damn u made out like a bandit. Nice!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Exactly right, while it is possible to build / purchase a charge pump circuit yourself, a more hassle free way to obtain the same is to search French ebay (ebay.fr) for the official Sega Master System / Mega Drive scart cable, which has such a pump built in and adopt that. Good idea is to search for 'sega peritel' - they usually go for EUR 10-20 and I guess if one is using a scart switchbox such a circuit could be placed between the switchbox and TV (or integrated into the switchbox) thus ensuring that all connected devices benefit from the 5V-->12V increase.

PS. there is no real workaround other than that if you disconnect PIN 8 the TV will stop defaulting to 16:9 however you will have to choose the scart input manually i.e. it will loose the autosensing that a device is connected to the scart socket and powered on.

Thank you for this information! Oh and thanks Broken! :D

I think I'll just disconnect Pin 8 as I'll only be using one of the SCART inputs and I'm not bothered by changing inputs manually though that Is a pretty cool feature! Even though we get the odd SCART ready TV down here, we still very much follow the US type of video inputs such as component, composite using RCA inputs.

I finally fixed the sync issue with my BVM and JVC when passthrough was used. I just needed a 75 to ground on the sync line and to celebrate some RGB monitor shots:

You melt my heart with those glorious Lufia 2 screens. Bless you, sir.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
My PVM came with a case like that. Wish it also had wheels..