CRT Fetish Thread

Spartan21

n00b
Tim Worthington's RGBNES kits are still the best RGB mod out there for all variants of the NES/Famicom. It costs nearly $100 though but that is still heaps cheaper than the old PC10 RGB mods. The only "hard" part about it is removing the PPU. Other than that it is pretty easy to do.

I can confirm that Tim Worthington's RGB NES kits are the best. If you can find a PVM or BVM (like mine) combined with Tim's RGb kit, you're in NES heaven :buttrock:. Look at the pics on my post (a couple of posts above) to see what I'm talking about.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Anyone with experience with the Makvision trisync arcade CRTs?

Thinking of ordering one of the 27/29 inch ones and building a frame to support it. Use it as my main RGB crt. The trisync would be vary handy.

What's the quality like on them? Both picture quality and build quality.

If I recall, there's been a lot of talk about those in the past over at forum.arcadecontrols.com and a bit over at shmups

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Here is my Sony BVM-20F1U. The BVM is calibrated. The game is Ninja Gaiden 2 on my NES top loader modded with a multi-out connector to rgb with Viletim's RGB board installed in the NES. Hope you guys like it :)

Loving those amazing pics! Makes me that much more adamant about getting an RGB modded NES for my BVM :) Definitely going to take a good look into Tim Worthington's RGB NES kit after the discussion about it here.

Last edited:

mr.2jz

n00b
Hey again Everyone,

Here is part 3 with some pics of the NEC Multisync 4PG, and Sony PVM 20M2U.

Pics were shot using a iPhone6, so not so great compared to a DSLR. Also lighting conditions weren't the best, but I'm hoping the detail shows through.

I brought my AES along this time with 2 games. Cyber-Lip AES, and Pulstar MVS with Phantom-1 adapter. Connection to monitors was via S-Video.

My AES wasn't modded with RGB or Component. But I might send it back to Xian Xi, to upgrade it.

For S-video however, I am pretty amazed at how well both did. Onto the pics:

1st UP: Nec Multisync 4PG

ylXZKIi.jpg

hysKttt.jpg

DMukD3y.jpg

6iDqxCI.jpg

vSTLUBa.jpg

2nd UP : Sony PVM-20M2U

0W8ChTe.jpg

CNA3vYT.jpg

ufXiRw0.jpg

Would have taken a few more PVM shots, but battery in cell phone was near 0%.

Just thought I would show these out there, and get an opinion. Either way, I think they could use an adjustment/cleaning from all the dust.

Thanks for looking.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Model: Panasonic BT-H1390YN

So this inspired me to hunt down this TV to replace my PVM-1351Q as my main display for solo retro gaming. The PVM-1351Q was a great deal at $25 local pickup and a huge improvement over my 27" Trinitron in terms of picture quality. But I was curious what 750 lines would be like compared to the 450 of the PVM-1351Q... so I ended up buying a JVC BM-H1310SU. As far as I can tell, it's more or less the same as the BT-H1390. Both have the same 750 line resolution. If anyone knows any real differences, please share.

Here's an absolutely terrible camera photo of the monitor in action. Serious, it looks way, way better in person. I feel slightly bad for posting this:

qSoPWrX.jpg

Small downside is a very minor scratch on the screen. I noticed it while playing games last night, but I had also cleaned the screen and the cleaner probably wasn't 100% dry. I could only notice it today if I specifically looked for it.

This is pretty true. If you camp eBay and buy from people that have return policies you can get a good deal on a monitor. I got my Panasonic off eBay. I can not stress the fact that you need to only buy from people with return policies enough though. That way if it ends up having a problem you can return it for a full refund. 99% of the time they wont even have you return it and will just refund the money if it is unsatisfactory. I think out of all the turds I've gotten off eBay there was only one I had to send back and I have gotten a lot of monitors from eBay over the years.

This x100, holy shit. I'm guessing they don't want it back because there's no way they can make money by paying for the return shipping plus selling it at a lower price for being damaged.

I bought this monitor off of eBay. So the guy really fucked up packing the monitor. Complete amateur hour here. It was pretty much lose in a box with only a few pieces of very thin styrofoam. It's a complete miracle the thing even works. At some point during shipping, it must have come into prolonged contact with water which got into the box and this happened:

gLhJJ2h.jpg

Fortunately only the bottom of the back was affected. The front is still pristine and the internals all look as clean as can be. But I was pretty miffed about the rust so I took the gamble of requesting a return in hopes of getting a refund and getting to keep the monitor; having to return it wouldn't have been a big deal as I could always buy another. Well the guy ended up letting me keep it and refunding the cost except for the $35 shipping. So I got the monitor for $35 plus 1-2 hours of cleaning. Still not great, but much improved:

3TioO83.jpg

(yes, I realize that I'm plugged into the output jacks but it turns out they work as input too)

Skips, I am really thankful of your write up and sound advice!

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I'm picking up an HD CRT tomorrow and I have a couple of questions. I mainly got the TV to play my GC and PS2 games via component, specially to play GC games in 480P. There is no clear concensus from the research I have done, but it appears like HD CRTs are the best option for PS2, GC, and X-Box (the happy medium between SD and non-CRT HD). Questions:

-The TV does 1080i and 480p. If it does 480p, does that mean it also does 480i?
-I have compilations of older games like neo fighting games on the PS2. Will these look like crap on this TV considering HD CRT TVs are not supposed to have scan lines?

I would also like to hear any thoughts you all may have in general. Thanks guys.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm picking up an HD CRT ......... Thanks guys.

Go on craiglist and grab a free or cheap Sony WEGA KD-34XBR960. (any 900 will work). They are considered to be the top notch in the hd crts out there. People give them out for free as they weight 1 ton and they will be extremely happy if you happen to get it out of the house for them..:keke: I got 1 that cost me $12 in fuel and can't be happier. Picture is absolutely crisp on my original xbox.

If you are lucky you can find it with the Sony stand.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
My AES wasn't modded with RGB or Component. But I might send it back to Xian Xi, to upgrade it.

For S-video however, I am pretty amazed at how well both did.

Yeah, the S-video looks great! I really like the comparison pics between the two. I'd be very interested to see some NEC RGB action if you get it modded. Throw some pics up ASAP if you do :) Great choice of in-game shots BTW.

mr.2jz

n00b
Yeah, the S-video looks great! I really like the comparison pics between the two. I'd be very interested to see some NEC RGB action if you get it modded. Throw some pics up ASAP if you do :) Great choice of in-game shots BTW.

Thanks.

Glad you like the pics. I'll post more when I can. Sofar, most my systems are s-video modded, like my aes, genesis, duo-r, TG-16. I also have a mv2F that I will get rgb modded by Xian Xi sometime soon.

Since the NEC 4PG is a bit of a rare model, I'll do more of that and the PVM 2950Q. I'll also see about grabbing a DSLR and shoot with that. I don't think the iphone6 camera does the monitor justice.

Also, and this is just off the top of my head, but would GC, PS2, XBox, maybe even PS1 era consoles look better on a HD CRT? Disregarding the aspect ratio thing for a moment, were these systems looking more ahead towards LCD's?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
... so I ended up buying a JVC BM-H1310SU. As far as I can tell, it's more or less the same as the BT-H1390. Both have the same 750 line resolution. If anyone knows any real differences, please share.

I have all the operator's manuals printed off for all versions of the monitor (thank you work printer :)). They are all basically word for word exactly the same outside of the brand names printed. I was shopping around for whatever was the nicest one (JVC or Panasonic) that I could get shipped decently, so I made sure to compare the manuals and the specs pages. Everything is exactly the same outside of the branding. Sucks about the shipping, but I'm happy to see you got it cleaned up. You will really enjoy it. It's such a cool little monitor. I'm really excited to get my new set-up together with my two Panasonics, but it's going to take some time and money I don't have right now. Hopefully late this spring my gaming room will be together. Throw up some more pics once you have her tweaked :)

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Thanks.

Glad you like the pics. I'll post more when I can. Sofar, most my systems are s-video modded, like my aes, genesis, duo-r, TG-16. I also have a mv2F that I will get rgb modded by Xian Xi sometime soon.

Since the NEC 4PG is a bit of a rare model, I'll do more of that and the PVM 2950Q. I'll also see about grabbing a DSLR and shoot with that. I don't think the iphone6 camera does the monitor justice.

Also, and this is just off the top of my head, but would GC, PS2, XBox, maybe even PS1 era consoles look better on a HD CRT? Disregarding the aspect ratio thing for a moment, were these systems looking more ahead towards LCD's?

I know PS2 and GameCube had some games that supported progressive scan (480p). I remember playing Mario Kart: Double Dash on my 32" Sony Wega HD CRT with progressive scan mode on. It looked amazing. It's something you need to see in person. You don't see much in a picture comparison of 480i through component video vs. 480p through component, but you definitely notice the sharpness and clarity in person. I know the Xbox was the first console to support HD (720p). It could do 480p/720p/1080i. The support per game was super random. They never really seemed to support all resolutions. It would almost always be one or a combination, not all. With a ton of people out there looking to get rid of extremely nice HD CRTs for free, if you have the room (and some nice friends to help carry the beast) snag one up and give it a shot. You will be pleased. A couple things to keep in mind though. Not all games will support progressive scan or HD, so be mindful of what games support it (labels on the back of the case will show). Also, the newer models of the GameCube had the digital port removed that allows you to use component video cables. Most GameCubes out there don't have it AND the cables are now expensive as hell. Hope this info helps :)

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
8" PVMs are really fun. Perfect for a small apartment, desk, or side-game next to your other TV.

I'd pick it up for $20 just to have an easy and portable testbed for RGB.

I'm with it. Gonna go pick it up tomorrow. Gonna need some component and vga to to BNC cables though.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
HD CRTs are great for later N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Game Cube and Xbox. The 480p/1080i ones take 480i and output it in 480p. The picture isn't shaky with 480i converted to 480p which is a huge plus. Dragon Quest 8 just looks amazing this way. 480p games will just have a sharper image and slightly smoother movement since there's no de-interlacing. I have a Toshiba 36" and love it. It is sitting behind my Sony Bravia 50" w700B LED LCD right now until I get 2 people to move it into my bedroom next to my Sony SD 27" Trinitron. Good to have different sets for certain console generations. I hooked up my Game Cube to play RE4 and Twins Snakes to my new Sony Bravia LCD.... man it looks like a pixelated mess. I swear these newer LCDs look even worse than the ones from a few years back with older consoles. Of course, PS3, 360, PS4, Bluray and cable tv looks awesome on it though.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
HD CRTs are great for later N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Game Cube and Xbox. The 480p/1080i ones take 480i and output it in 480p. The picture isn't shaky with 480i converted to 480p which is a huge plus. Dragon Quest 8 just looks amazing this way. 480p games will just have a sharper image and slightly smoother movement since there's no de-interlacing. I have a Toshiba 36" and love it. It is sitting behind my Sony Bravia 50" w700B LED LCD right now until I get 2 people to move it into my bedroom next to my Sony SD 27" Trinitron. Good to have different sets for certain console generations. I hooked up my Game Cube to play RE4 and Twins Snakes to my new Sony Bravia LCD.... man it looks like a pixelated mess. I swear these newer LCDs look even worse than the ones from a few years back with older consoles. Of course, PS3, 360, PS4, Bluray and cable tv looks awesome on it though.

Thanks for sharing dude! Specially that tidbit about what happens to 480i on these sets. I previously had a CRT Panasonic Tau TV, and today I picked up an HD Tau. I'm loving the way GC and PS2 games look. Had a go with the Genesis 3, but it is a blurry/smudgy mess without scanlines. I got it for the PS2 and GC mainly though, so I am happy. I also have a PVM for earlier consoles. And Speaking of Twin Snakes...

Attachments

• Tau.jpg
    Tau.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 220

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I finally joined the club guys.

Nice little entry level monitor I guess. I like it. Rocking Y/C until further notice since I don't know much/nor have the means of utilizing RGB.

Spoiler:

100_0547.jpg

100_0543.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0536.jpg

0bd0b874-7ac9-436f-bfff-4e77d9597c11.jpg

Quick question, I bought an SCART cable years and I'm pretty sure it was a Japanese cable. What do I need to put it to use.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

Do I just buy this or do I need to do some other things?

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Anyone else have an issue with the signal getting interference when you use the pass through's to a xrgb mini? Wondering if it's my cable or the XRGB mini. Both my BVM and JVC get the same noise, the picture because 'wiggly' in some areas and as soon as I unplug it from the mini on the passthrough's it disappears. I use the mini to stream while I play on the monitor which is why I have this setup.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Anyone else have an issue with the signal getting interference when you use the pass through's to a xrgb mini? Wondering if it's my cable or the XRGB mini. Both my BVM and JVC get the same noise, the picture because 'wiggly' in some areas and as soon as I unplug it from the mini on the passthrough's it disappears. I use the mini to stream while I play on the monitor which is why I have this setup.

Kinda sounds like a ground loop to me.

Pasky

It's strange, when i unplug the sync passthrough (out) from the monitor, the interference goes away. Wonder if a bnc ground isolator would eliminate it.

Pasky

Made a quick video. You'll notice on the window text borders how they go from linear and straight to 'wiggly' and the image shifts over. This is when I plug in the sync pass through. When I unplug it it goes back to being straight and the image is perfect. This happens on both my monitors! So I know it's an issue with the monitors pass through.

I'm gonna buy two cheap bnc ground isolators, one for the sync in and one for the sync out and see if it solves it.

Last edited:

Pasky

Got a workaround going. I bought this for cheap (was $9 on clearance here at the local radioshack):

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshac...tribution-amplifier/1500311.html#.VLL2U3t-bjI

I had some male rca to female bnc jacks I bought and plugged them in. So now I can split my bnc cable to the tv and my bnc to mini din 8 to the xrgb mini.

Not sure what the issue is but it's definitely the xrgb mini causing it. It never used to which is what's weird, wonder if a diode blew or something because I had a power surge and that's when it all started. Tried a different dc adaptor with it, even a battery powered one to confirm it wasn't my outlet.