CRT Fetish Thread

mr.2jz

n00b
Nice pics. Mind sharing where in Ontario you found them?

Hi deltaspirit,

Sorry for the delay. I was lucky enough to find these at my workplace. We have a lot of broadcast gear, AV gear, and computer stuff, so a lot of the old stuff, that can't be re-used for newer HD content, gets recycled or goes back on lease return. These items were destined for the recycler/bin, but I salvaged them.

It's hard enough to find this stuff locally, and while you can find it on eBay or AV companies online, it's the shipping that usually kills the deal.

While I recognize the 2950Q, and 4PG are heavy, those 20M2U's are no lightweight either. Deceptively heavy, those little buggers. :lolz:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I don't think it's bad, given it's age, and that it's been in storage for years and never used. I think I will most likely need to get it calibrated/given a once over on the inside.

As for the NEC 4PG, and the Sony 20M2U, I hope to get some pics of that tomorrow, or early next week.

Nice to finally see the pics! Love the Turtles in Time shots. Interested to see the rest :)

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Anyone with experience with the Makvision trisync arcade CRTs?

Thinking of ordering one of the 27/29 inch ones and building a frame to support it. Use it as my main RGB crt. The trisync would be vary handy.

What's the quality like on them? Both picture quality and build quality.

Roger has the 411 on this. Shoot him a PM, or catch up in chat.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
From what I've seen, the Makvisions don't look as good as Wells Gardner, Nanao, or Kortek monitors at standard resolutions. They seem to have thick scanlines and a softer picture. When you run them at 800x600, the corners of the screen get noticeably blurry. They're mediocre basically. They'll work, but they're not going to blow the wig off your scalp.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Got my new TMNT and BVM 20D1FU in, however I'm having sync issues with some jamma boards. CPS1 and CPS2 syncs fine, but TMNT and sunset riders are acting up:

FH5kwFhl.jpg

Looks like one of the sync holds needs adjusting. Anyone have a BVM with these working? What am I doing wrong? I got it set to RGB and external sync.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
throw 220ohm resistors on R G B and Sync if you haven't. That may clear it up. I've never had a JAMMA board not work on my PVMs with resistors in line, same with my NEC's that are super picky about sync.

Pasky

I'll give it a shot later perhaps, wanna hear from others first as you're describing a PVM. Heard they're less picky but unsure =/.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yeah PVMs are probably less picky than BVMs, however, My NECs are picky as fuck. You need some resistors in line. JAMMA video is much higher Vpp than the normal signals expected by PVM/BVM/SCART displays. If you don't have any resistors in line at all you're sending way too hot of a signal to the display.

Last edited:

Pasky

They're terminated to 75 ohm's and 220uF caps. I also have them going through pots to adjust the signal strength. I have sync going to a lm1881 but tried without it and same deal =/.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Gotcha, pots in-line should definitely help, you have them only on the colors or do you have one on sync as well? I never use caps from jamma boards, only in some scart cables for consoles like the playstation 1.

The out from the lm1881 should work fine though :/ Hope someone else has more ideas for you.

Pasky

I think that's an 8 Inch? I doubt you'd want something that small.

I dunno what's up, CPS1 is syncing up fine.

3T3mJwMl.jpg

Can't find shit on the net about this issue either which is really annoying me.

Pasky

Ya pretty sure they're saying it's composite sync, meaning H and V sync combined, which is normal.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Pasky,
Try putting taking everything off the Sync line, and only putting on a 220ohm resistor. Run it through the lm1881 as well.

Pasky

Alright, when I get some time this weekend I'll breadboard this up and test some stuff out. Thanks.

Pasky

Skates, Ballz, thanks! 220 Ohm on the sync line fixed it! Still got a little skew, gonna find the right resistance! Sweeeeet

Spartan21

n00b
Here is my Sony BVM-20F1U. The BVM is calibrated. The game is Ninja Gaiden 2 on my NES top loader modded with a multi-out connector to rgb with Viletim's RGB board installed in the NES. Hope you guys like it :)

IMG_3380.JPGIMG_3374.JPGIMG_3379.JPG

2050-Z

New Challenger
What's the state of the art with RGB NES these days? Is anything in production without waitlists or weird forum buys, somewhat affordable, and an easy mod for a toploader?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
What's the state of the art with RGB NES these days? Is anything in production without waitlists or weird forum buys, somewhat affordable, and an easy mod for a toploader?

Tim Worthington's RGBNES kits are still the best RGB mod out there for all variants of the NES/Famicom. It costs nearly $100 though but that is still heaps cheaper than the old PC10 RGB mods. The only "hard" part about it is removing the PPU. Other than that it is pretty easy to do.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I've been browsing craigslist, are there any recommended Trinitron or Wega model numbers to look for?