CRT Fetish Thread

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I don't think that's a s-video socket. Looks more like a rf socket to me.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I have around 3 SNES I can try. How can I tell which board revision is which, and which is the best one to have?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I have 3 also, i never actually used any of them, which is why i havent looked to RGB mods for them, but id say you should be able to take the RGB and sync from before the encoder, which should sharpen it up loads.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Well, scratch that. I've tried all three, and they all produce the same image.

I ordered another RGB cord that should be coming in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully that makes it look better.

NEO-GEO man

The cable isnt the limiting factor, its the console and how its designed, and most likely the bandwidth capability of that video encoder.

On a TV, the sharpness adjustment is a bandwidth limiter, reducing the bandwidth will soften the image. When using RGB, the display device very rarely has a sharpness adjustment on the RGB channel, and the bandwidth is limited by the design of the set, in most cases far exceeding anything youll ever require for such an extremely low resolution.

The higher the set's bandwidth, the more capable it is at resolving higher resolutions. There is a hell of alot more to it than the tube, and this is one area where the NECs really blow the Sony PVMs away. At the lower res its not an issue, so it comes back to the quality of the tube and the magnetics driving it.

Having said all that, youll probably find the SNES wont look much better if at all on a PVM than it will on any other decent CRT that has an RGB input such as a domestic grade Trinitron ( provided both are correctly calibrated and magnetic alignment is as good as it can be, they really should look identical ). Yet if you use a Dreamcast with VGA, the difference will be quite easy to see.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I personally prefer the video output of a modded SNES mini/jr over the bigger machines.

However it still has a soft image.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
hmm, I may need to trade-in the old clunker for a SNES mini.

JubeiAES

n00b
I have a perfect working Commodore Amiga 1080 RGB monitor but I dont have the 9 pin cable to hook it.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Mod the snes baby to rgb. That will give the strongest and greatest RGB possible.

Or get the 1Chip revision.

I have both and I prefer the 1chip just because of the way it looks. The snes baby is horrible.

More info on this thread at assemblergames:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38581-Best-SNES-revision

You know, style aside, I was thinking of having my SNES Mini modded anyway.

It's harder to notice, but every model BESIDES the SNES Mini produces a vertical bar down the middle of the screen. It becomes less noticable the higher you go up the clarity ladder, but it still bugs the hell out of me.

I've never heard of this 1chip revision, what's that all about?

edit: ok so it's the last revision before they did the snes mini I gather.

How can i tell which snes is which? Do I have to physically open the SNES? What am I looking for?

Last edited:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Damnit it all I set a ipod player speaker thingie on top of mine while i was cleaning and now I have a nasty discolored corner on my PVM, tried the degauss button sever times in the past couple days and it's not going away :(

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Bad news on my end too.

I opened & cataloged 8, EIGHT Super Nintendo model 1s i have.

6:SHVC-CPU-01 (very first snes released)
1: Marked 1992
1: Marked SNS-CPU APU-01 1995

Guess I have to mod my SNES mini...

NEO-GEO man

Damnit it all I set a ipod player speaker thingie on top of mine while i was cleaning and now I have a nasty discolored corner on my PVM, tried the degauss button sever times in the past couple days and it's not going away :(

Forget the internal degause, you need a wand. You need more coersive forces than the internal can provide.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Got me a PVM-2030 this weekend!

4Wx1A.jpg

Currently running my SNES through S-video, but I'm going to make good use of that 25-pin d-sub for RGB once I can find the time to build some cables!

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Got me a PVM-2030 this weekend!

4Wx1A.jpg

Currently running my SNES through S-video, but I'm going to make good use of that 25-pin d-sub for RGB once I can find the time to build some cables!

looks good man and playing my ALL TIME FAVORITE GAME to boot i just got my pvm 20 lastnight and am also running svideo right now while waiting for my cables from retro game cables for my nes genesis and rgb to bnc adaptor here is one cell phone pic i took of mine http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/user/joecommando2010/media/sonypvm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
So just curious but what kind of prices are these running (if you can pm me or email as I don't get on much I'd appreciate it) nice looking crts guys. I keep rescuing sets locally as people upgrade to newer sets I've got about 4 right now not even in use lol not one of these though-in fact no sony's at all :(

NEO-GEO man

So just curious but what kind of prices are these running (if you can pm me or email as I don't get on much I'd appreciate it) nice looking crts guys. I keep rescuing sets locally as people upgrade to newer sets I've got about 4 right now not even in use lol not one of these though-in fact no sony's at all :(
What brand are they?

andybgood

n00b
I keep looking for a 2030, but they keep getting snatched up from me on ebay!! Sadly there is nothing closes to me on craigslist.