CRT Fetish Thread

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Yeah, that is way too washed out.

My SNES looks pretty good in RGB, although not quite as sharp as other consoles. It's nothing blurry like that though...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah, that is way too washed out.

My SNES looks pretty good in RGB, although not quite as sharp as other consoles. It's nothing blurry like that though...

Yes that's my biggest complaint about the Snes, the image is too soft

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
That is lack of bandwidth that makes it softer than others.

soundguy77

n00b
:(

help! i just noticed a purplish splotch/hue in the upper-right hand corner of my PVM-14m2u. i noticed it while playing a Genesis game via RGB, but it was still there when I switched over to PS1 via composite. i never noticed it before. i have nothing near it and haven't even bumped or dropped it at all. degaussing doesn't help.

i did google it and found this post on digi press:

"my PVM has a slight discoloration in the upper right corner. degusseing doesn't seem to get rid of it. its mostly a purpleish color blotch. is there a trick to getting rid of this? it doesn't make thigs unbearable but it is a little distracting and annoying."

NEO-GEO man

Move it and see if its still doing it, but you really need to use a degausing wand, the internal degause coil is pretty useless.

20 Year Member
Every CRT owner needs to pick up a degaussing coil/wand. You will eventually need one.

I bought a coil a few years ago that will degauss any CRT within 15 feet of the thing. I wear a metal shield over my balls when I use it.

82936dn_27.jpeg

soundguy77

n00b
I wear a metal shield over my balls when I use it.

hahaha. ok, so this is all i need?

edit: found a video on it. nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboO2JUvtBM

edit #2: i actually found a demagnetizing wand my dad had. it fixes the problem when i turn the wand on, but once it goes off the purple splotch instantly reappears in the upper-right corner.

here's the thing though. when i tip the monitor so it's facing up slightly or leaning to the right slightly, it's perfect. no purple splotches or anything. however, if i tip it leaning to the left it worsens.

edit #3: i seem to have fixed it with a normal refrigerator magnet. i had this extra strong, thick magnet and it seemed to erase the purple splotch when i stuck it down to the top-right corner. strange. i'll update the thread if something changes. can someone explain why the demagnetizer didn't work, but the magnet did?

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Shadow mask is probably rooted. Degause it all you like you wont fix that.

Check that there is nothing inside it near the bell that could be magnetically influencing this.

andybgood

n00b
For the guys with the soft snes images, do you have best board revision? I'm still trying to locate a local pvm before I can check my snes :(

NEO-GEO man

Id be looking at the RGB circuit in those SNESs to see what is limiting the bandwidth and see if you can bypass it. What video encoder chip do they use?

soundguy77

n00b
speaking of how soft the snes looks in rgb, i'm curious to see how the Gamecube Game Boy Player attachment would look on a PVM via SCART RGB. never heard of anyone trying it. Golden Sun in crisp RGB anyone?

17tpo2.jpg

Last edited:

max-ng

Instructions? Pfft. I don't need them.... oh... fu
Guys - can anyone confirm something please - on a Sony PVM I was looking at (in the UK) it has "100 Hz Double Scan" on the front of the case - does this mean it is not usable with console light guns?? Seem to remember something about 100hz TV's not being compatable...

If so are all PVM's the same spec?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I am fairly sure they are all custom Nintendo encoders.

20 Year Member
Mine has a very low serial, if that matters.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i'm curious to see how the Gamecube Game Boy Player attachment would look on a PVM via SCART RGB. never heard of anyone trying it.
i don't own the game boy player, but i can't complain about the cube's rgb picture.

snk`

Kula's Candy
I realized how hard it is to find a Sony PVM here, since I really like what size they come in. Buying one from Ebay is out of the question, as shipment is going burn my wallet for how much it's worth.

A friend of mine told me about a new 'LG Retro TV', thought I'd share & if someone could tell me if this model is anything worth getting for retro gaming? I leave you the pics below:

lg_retro_tv_crt_serie_1_famicom.jpg
lg_serie_1_retro_crt_tv.jpg

LG_Retro_LCDTVTHAILAND_20.jpg
LG_Retro_LCDTVTHAILAND_12.jpg

Source:
http://www.retrotogo.com/2010/01/lg-takes-tv-back-to-the-1960s-with-the-serie-1-television.html

I'm all for Sony CRTs, but if this one would come as 'must have' for the same purpose, then I might as well consider getting one.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Guys - can anyone confirm something please - on a Sony PVM I was looking at (in the UK) it has "100 Hz Double Scan" on the front of the case - does this mean it is not usable with console light guns?? Seem to remember something about 100hz TV's not being compatable...

If so are all PVM's the same spec?
Not all PVMs are same spec. You may be able to turn the 100Hz off. Guns wont work with it.

NEO-GEO man

NEO-GEO man

Id expect it would have component in this day and age. Depending on the tube the used i wouldnt expect it to have the dot pitch of a PVM though.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks like theres only composite and svideo, at least on the back.
large04.jpg